Author Topic: Protest The Hero Appreciation/Discussion Thread  (Read 53886 times)

Offline Parama

• Six Roaming Owls
  • Official Fanclub President
Re: Protest The Hero Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« Reply #735 on: March 02, 2016, 12:43:01 AM »
yeah volition was at least exploring new directions but i wouldn't say any of them are that "out there" for pth, even if skies is easily their best track

i haven't actually listened to any of the new songs though bcuz it's physical release or bust for me, tbh

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #736 on: March 02, 2016, 07:41:13 AM »
I think the fifth song was different. The first four sound like Volition leftovers but the fifth one is at least unique.

So far, I've anjoyed the documentary more than the songs. Feels a bit like the last Foo Fighters album in that regard.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #737 on: March 02, 2016, 08:42:33 AM »
Was Cataract the fifth one? I really liked that song, I believe it it's also the first time Tim has a guitar solo on a PtH song and it's great, very melodic/not too technical.

EDIT: Nevermind, I meant Harbinger.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:51:11 AM by Train of Naught »
shut up train. go listen to your bad hypno5e albums
What the fuck is up, uh? Fuck the world, bust a nut -Lil' Wayne

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #738 on: March 02, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
yeah volition was at least exploring new directions but i wouldn't say any of them are that "out there" for pth, even if skies is easily their best track

Not sure I agree there... Blindfolds Aside is still my favourite song of theirs, and Plato's Tripartite is my favourite from Volition.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #739 on: March 19, 2016, 12:39:45 PM »
So, the last song has been out for 4 days now, I thought maybe some more people would consider getting Pacific Myth now that all the tracks are out there.
Possible spoiler ahead about Caravan.

I really like this song, and most of the reasons have been named by the guys over at the band's reddit. The reprises to songs from other albums are pretty cryptic, and frankly, hoped them to be longer. But man, even though it's only like 2 seconds, I was really happy to hear Drumhead Trial and C'est la Vie back in this song.
Caravan is their longest song so far, but it really pays off. Vocally it's really groovy, instrumentally it starts out very technical but it becomes really melodic and epic near the end.

Wouldn't go as far as saying this EP has been really great, but it at least has some very redeeming moments. It's probably my least favorite PtH release, but I like all of them a fair amount. Caravan however, my favorite song off this EP, is slowly becoming a top 15-10 Protest song for me.

Offline Victimlas

• Dream Theater USA FB Page
« Reply #740 on: March 31, 2016, 07:59:12 AM »
It's interesting to see all the different opinions on the new EP. My hubby is a long-time PTH fan, and he doesn't care much for it. I am a newer fan and loved it. I never got Protest until Volition, which I absolutely loved since it came out. Then I started going back in the discography, and loving every album. They've become one of my favorite bands period.
I think Tidal and Harbinger are two of their best songs yet.

I appreciate how they are always looking for innovative ways to stay ahead of the game. I liked the idea of the subscription and the documentary is top notch. Also the way they packaged each song with the artwork, lyrics, and tabs is totally awesome. I understand how a lot of people want the physical CD and I look forward to them releasing it that way too.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #741 on: March 31, 2016, 12:47:14 PM »
It's getting a very mixed reception, but I don't think anyone here has actively been commenting on Pacific Myth, probably because of the strange marketing approach. I wouldn't say it's an innovative way, yeah the documentary was awesome, but sometimes I was eagerly waiting for a new song, and then when it finally came, I started realizing "is this really what I'm waiting for EVERY month after having already paid for it?". It's creative for sure, but not in a good way IMO.

And now that it's all complete it doesn't even feel like fresh material anymore, since the first song has already been out like 6 months. I do really like PM though, don't get me wrong, not as much as the albums but still quite a bit. It''s just not the same as receiving a whole EP at once.

And as you can see, I really like the Cold Water artwork :laugh: Tidal is also pretty cool.

Offline Victimlas

• Dream Theater USA FB Page
« Reply #742 on: March 31, 2016, 05:53:06 PM »
It's getting a very mixed reception, but I don't think anyone here has actively been commenting on Pacific Myth, probably because of the strange marketing approach. I wouldn't say it's an innovative way, yeah the documentary was awesome, but sometimes I was eagerly waiting for a new song, and then when it finally came, I started realizing "is this really what I'm waiting for EVERY month after having already paid for it?". It's creative for sure, but not in a good way IMO.

And now that it's all complete it doesn't even feel like fresh material anymore, since the first song has already been out like 6 months. I do really like PM though, don't get me wrong, not as much as the albums but still quite a bit. It''s just not the same as receiving a whole EP at once.

And as you can see, I really like the Cold Water artwork :laugh: Tidal is also pretty cool.

Yes, Cold Water was my favorite artwork too!

I think with the EP, it's just looking at it from a different perspective. You can see it as you are waiting a whole month for a song (every month for 6 months), OR you are getting songs fresh of the presses. Instead of waiting 6 months for the EP to come out, we got songs as they were completed and mastered ;)  I thought that part was innovative. I'll admit I am biased PTH can do no wrong in my eyes right now.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: April 06, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
guys caravan

guys

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #744 on: June 10, 2017, 08:52:22 AM »
I forgot about Pacific Myth until I saw it at FYE the other day.

I like this EP. The lyrics are great. Tidal, Cold Water, and Caravan are my faves.

Hopefully they'll tour here soon.

Here's the set-list from when I last saw them in 2013.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:19:02 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #745 on: January 10, 2018, 11:14:41 AM »
Did anyone listen to Mystery Weekend? They popped up on my Spotify discover playlist and I immediately knew it was PtH related. I'm giving the full album a spin now.