Author Topic: Protest The Hero Appreciation/Discussion Thread  (Read 107534 times)

Offline theliloutkast

Re: Protest The Hero Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« Reply #560 on: March 06, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
Scurrilous is still horrible to me. I've tried multiple times to enjoy it, especially seeing as both Kezia and Fortress are pure genius. It's just a horrid album. It's not as fun, not as energetic, not as badass, and the lack of harsh vocals is very disturbing. Oh well, guess I need a new third favorite band.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #561 on: March 06, 2012, 06:30:23 PM »
I don't know about the fun, energetic part. I can agree on the harsh vocals which is why I probably like Scurrilous more... lol. It's all good though.

I have never been a rawr, rawr, rawr fan but I do make some exceptions. I think Rody can sing like a mf'er which is why I can handle his rawr, rawr moments. The band is still pretty badass IMO but I understand everyone has different perspectives and that's cool.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #562 on: March 06, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »
the band thinks the harsh vocals are stupid, and i think its cool that they dont just do it cause thats what people want

i see all 3 albums as equally awesome. different things on each one. scurrilous has by far the craziest guitar parts. i listen along and read their guitar lines and luke is tapping all over the place

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: March 07, 2012, 12:48:39 AM »
I can see wh, dear... thx again! One of the biggest gains of my roulette! I'm glad you joined :)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: March 07, 2012, 02:16:18 AM »
I wouldn't say Scurrilous is horrible. I just find it boring.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #565 on: March 07, 2012, 09:48:36 AM »

This.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #566 on: March 07, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »

This.

That.  I'm still trying to get in to Scurrilous but there's just something about it that makes it less interesting to me than their other two records.  It's like something's missing but I'm not sure what it is.  Maybe it's the harsh vocals, I don't know.  I'd say Fortress is their masterpiece thus far, even though I love Kezia too if only for Blindfolds Aside alone.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #567 on: March 07, 2012, 12:16:22 PM »
You guys are lame. Scurrilous is easily the most consistent thing they've done, and there are still plenty of fairly harsh vocals, it's only the full-on growls that are gone, and it's not like they were ever used THAT much in the first place.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #568 on: March 08, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »
Dan, how much were the vocal issues disruptive, or did it still sound fine for the most part? When I saw them at Sonisphere he was on great form vocally! Seeing them on Friday and it'll be a shame if he's not sounding so great.
I saw them in Manchester last night, and Rody was on top form. He sounded amazing.

the band thinks the harsh vocals are stupid, and i think its cool that they dont just do it cause thats what people want
[[Citation Needed]] :P

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #569 on: March 08, 2012, 04:37:35 PM »
Dan, how much were the vocal issues disruptive, or did it still sound fine for the most part? When I saw them at Sonisphere he was on great form vocally! Seeing them on Friday and it'll be a shame if he's not sounding so great.
I saw them in Manchester last night, and Rody was on top form. He sounded amazing.

Oh man if his voice is back that would be frickin' awesome! :caffeine:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #570 on: March 11, 2012, 03:26:02 PM »
So yeah saw them on Friday and they were all on fantastic form, Rody included. Not sure what the problems were, but seems to be over them! Shame they play such a short set, but it was an absolute blast still, and considering how cheap the tickets were, I definitely got value for them!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #571 on: March 11, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »
So yeah saw them on Friday and they were all on fantastic form, Rody included. Not sure what the problems were, but seems to be over them! Shame they play such a short set, but it was an absolute blast still, and considering how cheap the tickets were, I definitely got value for them!

Agree with all that, but they've certainly toned down their stage presence since the early years.

Did Long Distance Calling before them? They were pretty good when I saw them

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #572 on: April 19, 2012, 02:12:01 AM »
 :o  This is my O-Face  :o

Just got back from seeing Protest The Hero (with Periphery, Jeff Loomis, The Safety Fire, and Today I Caught the Plague)......

Rody sounded AMAZING all night. Great show, great crowd awesome time. I'll probably add more later... have to crashhhh....

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: April 19, 2012, 02:15:11 AM »
whoa... sounds awesome... looking forward to hearing more...

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #574 on: April 20, 2012, 03:19:53 AM »
whoa... sounds awesome... looking forward to hearing more...

Was such a great all around show. I had a blast. As I mentioned the crowd was really cool. Plenty of energy, crowd surfing and quality mosh pit but no overt douchiness that I could note and I had a good view of most of the place.

Let me be clear that I was there to see Protest the Hero first and foremost but there were five bands on the bill and that's a lot to take in but the good thing is that I was kind of interested to hear every one of them. Each were similar in some ways but clearly had their own thing going.

Today I Caught the Plague and particularly The Safety Fire are newer bands that I think will be much bigger on the scene going forward. Excellent musicians as if there were any question for this group of bands (TSF's new album Grind the Ocean is very cool IMO).

I'm a guitar geek so of course I enjoyed Jeff Loomis' (formerly of Nevermore) set and although I'm not sold (as of yet) on Periphery's vocalist I enjoy their music a great deal and have loads of respect for Misha and their drummer plus they put on a high energy show.

Protest just kicked ass... simply. Rody was great all night and as it seems he usually is, he was pretty hilarious between songs. Arif (the bassist) is like the happiest musician on the planet... when he's playing he's constantly smiling (sounds silly but you have to see'em to get the idea), it's awesome!

Before the show a bunch of the guys from the different bands were behind the venue in a small grassy lot playing soccer (football to them)... during the final song one of the other bands kicked a soccer ball onto the stage and several of the members of PTH kicked the ball around while continuing the song..... just a cool moment.

Anyhow enough of the gushing... was just a cool show and great evening. Here's a few pics of PTH from the crappy cell phone cam...

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: April 20, 2012, 04:11:58 AM »
Cool! Thanks Web.. Enjoy reading your reviews....  :tup
I wanna see Jeff playing so damn much!!!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #576 on: April 24, 2012, 10:12:13 PM »
saw this show last friday in NYC

SO GOOD

the safety fire was awesome, periphery and protest were both incredible. singing the outro to 'turn soonest to the sea' with everyone was so fun. so glad i went cause PTH and Periphery are two of my favorite bands.

also Rody was perfect. ive seen some not so stellar videos in the past (including the live DVD) but he was on another level when i saw them. just like the cd

edit: here's a vid of the show i went to (i didnt film it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l53W36MeJHw

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #577 on: April 25, 2012, 12:39:16 AM »
saw this show last friday in NYC

SO GOOD

the safety fire was awesome, periphery and protest were both incredible. singing the outro to 'turn soonest to the sea' with everyone was so fun. so glad i went cause PTH and Periphery are two of my favorite bands.

also Rody was perfect. ive seen some not so stellar videos in the past (including the live DVD) but he was on another level when i saw them. just like the cd

edit: here's a vid of the show i went to (i didnt film it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l53W36MeJHw

:tup I think it was a great group of bands to have tour together. They all seemed to fit the bill and made for a good energy in the crowd. I certainly am very glad to have had the opportunity to catch it myself.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #578 on: April 25, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »

Arif (the bassist) is like the happiest musician on the planet... when he's playing he's constantly smiling (sounds silly but you have to see'em to get the idea), it's awesome!

seen Blackguard the other night with some lead guitarist showoff from texas. he looked like a cross between kirk hammett and this disabled kid from my home town. and this guy did not relent on the smile the entire set. Arif might have some competition.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #579 on: June 06, 2013, 06:02:50 PM »
Sadly Protest drummer Moe Carlson has decided to leave the band and go back to school. As PTH has been in the process of recording a new album (crowd funded through IndieGoGo) they had to find someone to work on the album....

https://www.aux.tv/2013/06/exclusive-protest-the-hero-reveal-lamb-of-gods-chris-adler-as-replacement-drummer-on-new-album/

EXCLUSIVE: Protest the Hero reveal Lamb of God’s Chris Adler as replacement drummer on new album

June 6, 2013 Tyler Munro

Protest-the-Hero
via stevehaining.com

Protest the Hero made a pretty big splash when their Indiegogo campaign to fund a new album more than doubled its $125,000 goal with time to spare, but once the pledges had ended, the Canadian quintet kind of fell silent. It turns out there was a reason for that.

While working hard behind the scenes on the music their fans so passionately and proudly helped pay for, the band was quietly dealing with its first ever line-up change. Moe Carlson, their longtime drummer, had decided to leave to pursue school and a career in tool and die.

“He approached me one day—he approached everyone individually—and said, ‘just to let you know, I’m going back to school,’ and I was like, ‘good for you, that’s awesome,’” said singer Rody Walker to AUX. “And then he said he didn’t have any intentions of touring ever again. That kind of sucked, it was a shock, obviously, but he’s been really good about the whole thing.”

“About a year ago I started thinking about [school], then over the last six months I put things into action,” explains Carlson. “It worked out so well that it was post-touring cycle and it was coming up into January, and if I started in January I could start an accelerated program and be done in 16 months. It fell into place pretty naturally.”

Against the media odds, the band’s managed to sit on this news for months, holding out to work on the album and deal with the usual industry fine print. But while Moe was around for the early stages of the writing process, contributing to about four songs, he won’t be heard anywhere on their new album. Instead, fans will hear Lamb of God’s Chris Adler on the skins.

Chris-Adler-via-Metal-Insider
image via Metal Insider

“He’s a big name, but we have a pretty serious connection to Lamb of God,” said Walker, mentioning that they share a manager. Carlson elaborates, saying he’s known Adler for a long time.

“He’s the one who helped me get my endorsements. I went in when he was tracking drums and hung out for the afternoon and heard some of the stuff. It sounds great,” he said. “He’s definitely been an influence on my playing style, so I think it’ll be a pretty natural fit for the record.”

As for those sounds, Walker explains how Adler’s influence could make this the heaviest Protest the Hero record yet.

“He’s coming from such a different spot than us. We come to heavy metal through punk rock. It must have been strange for him playing some punk beats, and some of the punk beats he plays in a heavy metal way,” says Walker on a quick break from his ten-hour day tracking vocals in the studio. “This may come out being one of our more heavy sounding records, or more metal sounding record.”

Adler wasn’t in Toronto long, getting his stuff done in less than a month. That’s as much because of his own talent and professionalism as it is the band’s preparation.

“Luckily our buddy Cam stepped up, he’s very good at programming drums, so Luke wrote programmed drums and we presented them to Chris, and he was, like, ‘some of this shit a human being isn’t capable of doing,’ so we had to modify it from there and Chris put his own spin on everything,” says Walker.

More than ten years into their career, it’s clear Protest the Hero are about to enter a new era. With a successful crowdfunding campaign under their belts, they’re ready to move onto the next phase, which at this point means having to lock down a new full time drummer. But regardless of what happens, Walker and Carlson each make it a point to emphasize that there’s no bad blood with the split.

“Recently, I guess on our last tour cycle, we were getting tons of praise for always being the same five guys,” says Walker. “Every interview we did was like, ‘how do you guys stick together?’ Well, we can’t.”

“Nobody should view this as a negative thing,” says Carlson. “It’s just one of those things where I could have kept writing, and recorded the record, but I don’t want to split my time. I’d rather do one of them 100% rather than half ass both of them.”

Protest-the-Hero--old

Protest the Hero’s original line-up has known each other for twice as long as they’ve played together. Carlson says he met most of the guys in kindergarten and came to know the rest a few short years later. For him, the change is about leaving the touring grind behind to chase a different interest, not to get away from his band of brothers.

“I just wanted to fucking build things, man,” he says when asked why he chose tool and die. “I’ve always been into gadgets, taking things apart and putting them back together. I’m really into cycling, and I think it’d be awesome to build parts for bicycles and prototype designs.”

Carlson has just under a year left until he graduates and seems to have adjusted well to academic life, no small feat since the band spent much of its senior high school years slugging through southern Ontario venues in the back of the grungy grey van they referred to as “Uncle Phil.”

“I got a 3D printer a couple months ago, and it’s unbelievable how easy it is to design something and print it, to make changes to the design and print it again, and then have a finished prototype.”

He seems excited when he talks about his future, much like Walker seems to be for Protest the Hero’s new era.

“The biggest thing is that everyone’s still friends,” says Carlson, who’s already played with the band a few times since they internally decided on the mutual split months ago. “We’ll still see each other all the time.”

Protest the Hero expects their new album to be out sometime in the fall.

Offline FireForADryMouth

« Reply #580 on: June 07, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »
You guys are lame. Scurrilous is easily the most consistent thing they've done, and there are still plenty of fairly harsh vocals, it's only the full-on growls that are gone, and it's not like they were ever used THAT much in the first place.

Also Scurrilous has by far their best lyrics out of all their albums.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #581 on: June 08, 2013, 11:25:18 PM »
my last posts was so awesome it stopped this thread in its tracks for 13.5 months! #threadkiller

the turn of events is rather trippy. its kinda sad the brotherhood has musically ended. and i really liked moe's drumming; it fit the band perfect.

why hasnt this garnered more attention?! thought some adler fan boys woulda be creaming over it.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #582 on: June 08, 2013, 11:56:40 PM »
i liked moe a lot but in truth he just kept up with the guitars. im very interested in hearing this new style of drumming

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #583 on: June 09, 2013, 12:05:30 AM »
i probably regard the guitars/bass for PTH higher as well but always thought moe was underappreciated/overlooked.
something about his drumming that just seems different than anything else i listen to. idk, maybe i just listen to the wrong bands and there's a million 'moe's out there.

oh, and as if portnoy isnt  :sadpanda:  he wasnt approached (assuming he wasnt).
anywayz, it will be interesting to hear them with chris.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #584 on: June 24, 2013, 12:05:35 PM »
Lately been thinking about running a survivor for PtH using a modified survivor format I want to try out.
Also because I'm rather curious to see what the general consensus is on PtH, because I would guess there's very few agreements due to how diverse their discography is.
If there's decent interest I'll try running this though.
And not sure whether to include the pre-Kezia EPs or not. I've never actually heard any of them, myself. So.

also bump :V

EDIT: Or maybe I should wait until after the new album is out, though I'll probably forget if I have to wait a few months.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #585 on: June 25, 2013, 05:20:14 AM »
Lately been thinking about running a survivor for PtH using a modified survivor format I want to try out.
Also because I'm rather curious to see what the general consensus is on PtH, because I would guess there's very few agreements due to how diverse their discography is.
If there's decent interest I'll try running this though.
And not sure whether to include the pre-Kezia EPs or not. I've never actually heard any of them, myself. So.

Do it, I'd start from Kezia though

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #586 on: June 26, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »
Getting the impression that there's either not much interest or just that this thread gets buried far too quickly for anyone to see it. Ahh well.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #587 on: June 29, 2013, 06:25:31 AM »
I'd be on board, I think. Have to refresh my memory on Kezia though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #588 on: July 24, 2013, 04:19:58 PM »
bleh think I'm finally going to go ahead with this, lol.
First thread going up in a little bit, need to write up the modified ruleset
I'd rather this be a chance to rank through every song in the PtH catalog instead of an entire thing just to find one winner and one runner up like the DT League turned out to be though, nobody ever gives much attention to doing that and it should not be particularly hard with the format I'm planning

edit: here
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=38201.0
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:04:11 PM by Parama »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #589 on: August 15, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »
"Volition" drops on 10/29

https://www.facebook.com/protestthehero/posts/10151816749456147

We are proud to announce the official release date of our new album will be October 29th. It's called "Volition" and contains a couple of blazin' bangers we hope some / most of you will enjoy! We will be peacing on a North American tour beginning of November which will be announced shortly. Stay tuned for tracklisting, artwork, and all that other crap bands usually release come album time.
-pth

Offline JPX

« Reply #590 on: August 16, 2013, 08:44:57 AM »
"Volition" drops on 10/29

https://www.facebook.com/protestthehero/posts/10151816749456147

We are proud to announce the official release date of our new album will be October 29th. It's called "Volition" and contains a couple of blazin' bangers we hope some / most of you will enjoy! We will be peacing on a North American tour beginning of November which will be announced shortly. Stay tuned for tracklisting, artwork, and all that other crap bands usually release come album time.
-pth

So excited for this release. Huge PTH fan.  :metal

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #591 on: August 16, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »
Man, I wanted them to stick with Periphery III as the title. :lol

Sounds awesome, though. So excited screams are back.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #592 on: August 30, 2013, 02:24:22 PM »
New DT, New Arcade Fire and Volition, pretty good stuff  :corn
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #593 on: August 30, 2013, 10:05:42 PM »
these next few months are going to be amazing