Author Topic: Trip to Chicago  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Trip to Chicago
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Hi DTF,

I'm traveling to Chicago next week and I'll be staying there for 2 weeks. Anyone can recommend me things to while I'm there? Also, anyone that lives there can tell me where can I find a good record store where I can find prog albums? Specially Bridge Across Forever, the only Transatlantic record I'm missing  :'(.
I know I can get it through Ebay or whatever but I'm not from the US and my card won't work for international purchases.

Thanks!!!!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Trip to Chicago
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:56:33 AM »
Try bringing a goat into Wrigley.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:07:55 AM »
If you're a fan of museums, Chicago has several good ones. The aquarium, science museum, and natural history museum are all good and there are several others as well that I haven't been to. When I was there a few years ago you could buy a pass that was good to all of the museums in town for a pretty good discount.

Found info about it here: https://www.citypass.com/chicago

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:18:01 AM »
The Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum of Natural History, and the Museum of Science and Industry are all good suggestions.  They are all first-rate.

If you're into more "touristy" things, head down to Navy Pier, which is actually the pier of the old Naval station converted into something of a small amusement park.  Lots of food places, many seafood, all of them very good, but my favorite is Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.  Other possibilities include touring the harbor on a boat, or doing one of the many river tours.  My favorite of those is the Architecture River Cruise.  Chicago is known for its architectural diversity, and the tour is both informative and a relaxing way to spend an afternoon.

At night, go down to State Street.  It is brightly lit, people (and police) are everywhere, so it's perfectly safe, and basically everything open is a bar, restaurant, or nightclub with live music.  Menus are posted on the windows, so pick one with food you like and go in.  It is almost impossible to be disappointed because the competition is just too high; places that aren't awesome simply do not last.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:01:43 PM »
Go up to the observation deck at the Willis (fka Sears) Tower.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:43:22 PM »
Oh man, I totally forgot that.  That's indeed an awesome thing to do in Chicago.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 12:44:48 PM »
One of the coolest things to do in Chicago is dropping by my apartment and giving me large amounts of cash.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:52:52 PM »
One of the coolest things to do in Chicago is dropping by my apartment and giving me large amounts of cash.

Great suggestion!!! Ohh wait....

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 07:24:57 PM »

:lol
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 08:04:16 PM »
Hi DTF,

I'm traveling to Chicago next week and I'll be staying there for 2 weeks. Anyone can recommend me things to while I'm there? Also, anyone that lives there can tell me where can I find a good record store where I can find prog albums? Specially Bridge Across Forever, the only Transatlantic record I'm missing  :'(.
I know I can get it through Ebay or whatever but I'm not from the US and my card won't work for international purchases.

Thanks!!!!

Reckless Records.  There are three locations, but the one downtown is on Madison.  26 E. Madison, between State St. and Michigan Ave somewhere.  They may have it.  They have thousands of albums.  If they don't, they may have it in one of the other two locations.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »

Not before he does it to me.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 08:42:56 PM »
Or cruise out to my place in the burbs.  I'll even buy you lunch.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
I'm a 2.5 hour train ride to the east  :biggrin:
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 04:22:03 AM »
Thanks for all the good suggestion guys (This doesn't include the ones asking for money, except maybe Orbert who offered food)

Reckless Records.  There are three locations, but the one downtown is on Madison.  26 E. Madison, between State St. and Michigan Ave somewhere.  They may have it.  They have thousands of albums.  If they don't, they may have it in one of the other two locations.

I'll make sure to visit it then.