Author Topic: The Shattered Fortress discussion thread  (Read 32580 times)

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Shattered Fortress discussion thread
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:51:30 PM »
The only song of the album which doesn't have its thread. So here it is !

I love that song, the best of the album IMO. I love the riff at 1 min 37 sec. This might be one of their best metal riff ever. I love how they managed to put parts of the other 12 steps suite and make even better (Repentance, This Dying Soul).

The keyboard solo is of my favourites by Rudess, especially at 6 min 08 sec.

5/5
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Pyroph

Re: The Shattered Fortress discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »
The slowed down TDS riff is killer, as is JP's ending solo. Ultimately disappointed it wasn't a brand new song, but the presentation is great so I can't complain.

I never have a problem with Mike's vocals, but they just sound so weird in this. Sounds like there's something in his mouth.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:58:06 PM »
It's a big meh.  The starting couple minutes is great, and the early chorus is awesome, but it just drags post-Repentance rehash.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:59:13 PM »
Probably the weakest song on the album.  It seems kind of disjointed, and it doesn't flow as well as the other songs on the album.  I like the reuse of the lyrical melodies with different lyrics, but I was disappointed with the lack of NEW music.  Not a bad song, but it's definitely not as strong as the rest of the songs on the album in my opinion.

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:02:34 PM »
Really good song, and some absolutely fantastic moments. I love the way they've taken loads of ideas from the previous songs but done really clever things with them.

One of my favourites is the soft bit from Repentance being made bigger and heavier, followed not too long after by a heavy bit from TGP made soft.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »
I'm not a fan of the twelves step suite at all. I think a lot of their weakest songs are part of that.

Still, it's a good song; better than a lot of the twelve step suite.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline Pierced Brosnan

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 04:05:52 PM »
JLB owns this song, he sounds so evil at parts, and there's the FLY NOW BE FREEEE! line, which is awesome.

In fact, I think JLB is maybe the star of the album quite possibly, sounds great on every song, and nails every delivery. Although JP has some incredible moments too.
The band describing John Myung:
JLB: "He's deep. He's deep in thought"
JP: "We have a deep understanding musically"
JR: "John Myung is a very deep kind of person"
MP: "John Myung is an enigma... N he's deep as fuck yo'"

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 04:06:48 PM »
JLB owns this song, he sounds so evil at parts, and there's the FLY NOW BE FREEEE! line, which is awesome.

In fact, I think JLB is maybe the star of the album quite possibly, sounds great on every song, and nails every delivery. Although JP has some incredible moments too.

I think this one of JR's best albums as well.  Hell.... everyone's pretty effing awesome on this album lol.

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 04:11:19 PM »
This is probably my favourite song on the album so far, god it's just so good, the riff at 5.22 makes me tingle. I love the whole AA thing and how all the songs relate to each other. By far the best bit though is 10.54, first time I heard that was incredible. The perfect climax to the suite..
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 04:14:50 PM »
Probably the weakest song on the album.  It seems kind of disjointed, and it doesn't flow as well as the other songs on the album.  I like the reuse of the lyrical melodies with different lyrics, but I was disappointed with the lack of NEW music.  Not a bad song, but it's definitely not as strong as the rest of the songs on the album in my opinion.
This, except it's still my second favorite song on the album, behind TCoT.  It's extremely disjointed and flows as smoothly as rotten milk, but all the riffs are awesome, all of Jordan's keyboard parts are awesome, it has what I think is JP's second best solo on the album, and the rehashes, while inferior to the originals, to me, sound great together since they changed the tones of them to match.

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 04:20:52 PM »
The first step of the song is definately the best, where they revisit TGP and add some more to it. AWESOME. Its probably the most badass ever from DT, however the song gets a little weaker at the end and the last step is kind of a let down comparde to the first 6-7mins.
Everyone knows its Butters!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 04:26:07 PM »
I wasn't too excited when I heard that it's basically a rehash of the four previous 12SS songs, but it didn't disappoint at all. It flows surprisingly well (except the kinda awkward transition to the TROAE reprise), and the TGP bass riff reprise left me with a big smile on my face. Really nice wrap-up to the suite.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 04:27:44 PM »
Worst song in the album. I'm really happy the Suite is finally over.
Like it has been discussed before in other parts, the verse at 3:40 and onwards it's Britney Spears - "Toxic".

I do like the "I'm responsible!!!" part. It's cool.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »
One of my favourites is the soft bit from Repentance being made bigger and heavier, followed not too long after by a heavy bit from TGP made soft.

I couldn't say better.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 04:51:20 PM »
Worst song in the album. I'm really happy the Suite is finally over.
Like it has been discussed before in other parts, the verse at 3:40 and onwards it's Britney Spears - "Toxic".

I do like the "I'm responsible!!!" part. It's cool.

Haha, I just tried singing that along to it, you're right. It's a pretty common chord progression though, isn't it? I actually like toxic! *loses all credibility*
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 04:51:27 PM »
(except the kinda awkward transition to the TROAE reprise)
Yeah that's the only bit I'm not so keen on, feels a little forced. The rest is brilliantly crafted though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline j

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 04:53:37 PM »
Haha, I just tried singing that along to it, you're right. It's a pretty common chord progression though, isn't it? I actually like toxic! *loses all credibility*

:lol

In your defense, it's probably one of the better Britney Spears songs I've heard.  Take from that what you will.   :biggrin:

-J

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 04:54:48 PM »
lol...despite my otherwise impeccable musical taste I can't help myself gravitating towards a few britney songs. i don't own them or really listen to them, but now and then when I'm slightly tipsy before going out drinking I'll find myself putting baby one more time on youtube or something.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »
"The Shattered Fortress" is about Britney Spears. Well done, everyone.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 05:13:56 PM »
I love this song. Maybe even more than TGP... hard to tell at this stage. definitely going to be top 2 of the saga.

The riff under the (ridiculously complex, to the point that it just makes me grin) keyboard solo has to be my fave adaptation of all.

Only thing im not a fan of, like others, is the TROAE section. it just doesnt really flow into it very well...
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline bmc

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 05:21:09 PM »
I agree, worst song on the album, but that being said its still great even though its basically just a reprise.  Horrible stand alone song, awesome closer to the 12 step suite.
Quote from: SinisterMinisterX
Both "feel" longer than they are (in a good way).

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »
I love the song and it was so awesome but the fact that 1/6 of a new album is a medley is kinda annoying...

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 05:24:44 PM »
I agree, worst song on the album

WTF?

is there any sensible sentences I can read?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline bmc

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 05:27:01 PM »
I agree, worst song on the album

WTF?

is there any sensible sentences I can read?
what do you mean? i meant to quote emindead's post
Quote from: SinisterMinisterX
Both "feel" longer than they are (in a good way).

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 05:29:11 PM »
Commonly said!  :lol
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 06:05:09 PM »
Am I the only person who finds the "INVENTORY!!" line in the first verse to be really out of place?

JUSTICE!!
COURTESY!!
KINDNESS!!
SELF-RESTRAINT!!
INVENTORY!!

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 06:12:13 PM »
btw would someone who has the actual copy like to share the names of the steps in this song?

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 06:13:40 PM »
I love the song and it was so awesome but the fact that 1/6 of a new album is a medley is kinda annoying...

You say it's a medley, but imo there is plenty of new lyrical content and song to warrant it's awesomeness too. And it's actually more than 1/6  :P

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 06:16:47 PM »

You say it's a medley, but imo there is plenty of new lyrical content and song to warrant it's awesomeness too. And it's actually more than 1/6  :P

I think the lyric changes are really what makes the song so great. It shows the transformation the character has gone through very well

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 06:19:36 PM »
My second favorite from the album.  Yeah its not a completely new song, but its great both by itself and in context with the whole suite.  Bringing all four main themes together into a big pot was a risky move, but it works great.  I really hope they open with it on ProgNation.  Hell, I just want to see it at all, especially if James can nail the "FLY NOW BE FREEEEE!"

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
My second favorite from the album.  Yeah its not a completely new song, but its great both by itself and in context with the whole suite.  Bringing all four main themes together into a big pot was a risky move, but it works great.  I really hope they open with it on ProgNation.  Hell, I just want to see it at all, especially if James can nail the "FLY NOW BE FREEEEE!"

Especially after the barrage of the rest of the AA suite! I just listened to them all back to back, and I'm now smiling in my pants.

edit: is smiling in my pants referring to the american or the british use of the word pants?

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 06:22:06 PM »
Except for a couple of weird transitions, it's really good. On first listen it sounded like a straight-up medley, but it overcomes that. Most of the transitions actually work well, and the old riffs and lyrics are reworked enough that they dont feel like rehashes. The slowed-down, more groovin TDS riff is lovely. The original content is cool too.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »
it's very good. and people that say it is just a copy/past of other songs need to realize the purpose this song serves in the great scheme of the 12 step songs. not to mention when you do hear an old riff, it is most likely altered, and put in different context in the song itself.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 07:27:11 PM »
Oh, and did anyone else thought JLB was going to attempt an F# at the end of the song?

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 07:30:43 PM »
Oh, and did anyone else thought JLB was going to attempt an F# at the end of the song?

attempt? actually he did!
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!