Author Topic: When I was a kid...  (Read 15508 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: When I was a kid...
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2011, 07:12:35 AM »
1. When I was really young, I had absolutely no concept of time. My mom would put in Toy Story at 8 in the morning, and I'd think that I'd have to go to bed when it was over.

2. For a while, probably until I was about 9, I thought the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC was called the Aaron Space Museum. So, when my grandparents took me to DC for a week, I distinctly remember asking them why Aaron Space was cool enough to get his own museum.

Ninja'd, but
I thought an ATM would just give you the money you needed.
That too. I also thought a credit card was like a free pass through any grocery store line.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2011, 07:19:15 AM »
Oh, I also thought that animals peed out of their tail. :lol

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2011, 07:24:19 AM »
 :lol

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2011, 07:46:59 AM »
I thought you needed a different licence to drive standard compared to automatic. I argued this point until it was finally proven to me that I was enormously incorrect.
Really? You do here. If you do your driver's exam with an automatic you get a big stamp that says AUTOMATISCH on your driver's license, so it's not valid when driving with manual transmission.

wow...nearly 20 years later....I have some vindication.

it's not like that here.(ottawa, canada)
I took all my lessons in a late 80's tercel standard....then my exam on an automatic.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2011, 07:48:57 AM »
I took lessons, 4 w/ the stick and 4 automatic but I took the test with the automatic way back in 1984.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2011, 08:30:35 AM »
In Europe stick is like the norm. I know only a few people with an automatic, and even then it's like a second car or so.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
When I was young I thought that the pigeon that I always saw around our house followed me every where and was spying on me.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2011, 09:40:14 AM »
When I was young I thought that the pigeon that I always saw around our house followed me every where and was spying on me.

It was.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2011, 10:03:27 AM »

It was.

NOOOOOOOOO!

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Pidgeons say the darndest things
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »

It was.

NOOOOOOOOO!

Coo coo, bitch.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2011, 10:20:58 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2011, 10:22:29 AM »
Zydar, that's terrifying.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2011, 10:23:45 AM »
Good, it's working then.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2011, 10:24:23 AM »
...I wanted to build and operate my own submarine. :D
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2011, 10:25:27 AM »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2011, 10:27:55 AM »
Reminds me of "The Goodfeathers".   :tup  EDIT: TOO SLOW!!!

I used to think that CDs were recorded live with all the band members and that if someone made a mistake, they would have to start all over again.  I was only a few music formats away from the truth.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »

This reminds me of a colerized 50's horror film. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2011, 10:35:49 AM »
I originally thought up until about 6 or 7 the world was black and white up until around 1950.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2011, 11:12:04 AM »
When I was little, I used to think God rented the Earth to the Greek Pantheon while he went on vacation to the other side of the universe.

:lol

This is brilliant  :rollin

I remember being really upset that I would have to marry my baby sister one day. Was very relieved when 3 year old me was corrected.  :loser:

At one time I had worked out that babies came from excessive French kissing. Sex was just something weird people did.  :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2011, 11:30:12 AM »

I remember being really upset that I would have to marry my baby sister one day. Was very relieved when 3 year old me was corrected.  :loser:

If you'd been raised in the south you may not have been corrected.

At one time I had worked out that babies came from excessive French kissing. Sex was just something weird people did.  :lol

It isn't :huh:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »
I remember asking my mom if the "dark ages" were really dark, and when the sun finally began to shine. Of course I was referring to her childhood years, and she knew it, because she would say "way back in the dark ages" when reminiscing. :lol

My mother used to have a metal coffee pot/tea kettle that she would brew on a burner on the stove. For some reason her routine was to fill it with water for the next time right after washing it, so it always had clean water in it when not being brewed. Around age 9-10 I started boiling myself a hot dog as an after school snack/meal while she was still at work (no microwaves yet then, or at least they weren't affordable yet) and because I was a lazy kid and in a hurry to go watch Scooby Doo, I made it a habit to use the clean coffee pot water to boil my hot dog in.... then when I was done with my cooking I would clean up after myself by pouring the water back into the kettle where it waited for her to brew her next pot of coffee. :lol :lol
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »
:rollin

And you can probably bet that she's missing the coffee "like they used to make it".

When I was a kid, I wouldn't step on the cracks between the pavement blocks.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2011, 05:50:28 PM »
When I was a kid, I wouldn't step on the cracks between the pavement blocks.
Nice.  I would do something similar.  I would alternate walking between the narrow outer edge of the sidewalk and the main part of the sidewalk.  I would "switch" whenever they connected at their corners.

At the grocery store, I could only step on the black tiles because the white tiles were lava.

Actually I still do these things.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »
When I was a kid I learned different ways to distract my mind from dwelling on things that hurt me (my father died when I was four and I was extremely close to him, plus we had just moved to a whole new state and I think I was more attached from the unfamiliar surroundings) and the main way I would distract myself was counting. Anything. Everything. I still find myself doing that now occasionally.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2011, 05:59:34 PM »
:rollin

And you can probably bet that she's missing the coffee "like they used to make it".

rumborak

:lol I told my husband about this but didn't tell him that my mother had never known and one Thanksgiving before she passed away he casually "reminisced" about this.... the way she set down her glass and said "Jennifer!" was priceless. :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
Ah, lava tiles. I did those too.

Offline JosephAOI

• DTF's resident Jewish Ninja
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2011, 06:37:22 PM »
Same here. I also to this day try not to step on the cracks when walking on sidewalks or stay in one tile for each foot when walking on tiles.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2011, 07:33:55 PM »
When I was a kid I learned different ways to distract my mind from dwelling on things that hurt me (my father died when I was four and I was extremely close to him, plus we had just moved to a whole new state and I think I was more attached from the unfamiliar surroundings) and the main way I would distract myself was counting. Anything. Everything. I still find myself doing that now occasionally.

Woah, I used to count everything! I would count steps and blocks and whatever. My father also died when I was 8.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
Same here. I also to this day try not to step on the cracks when walking on sidewalks or stay in one tile for each foot when walking on tiles.

With cracks, what I would do is see how many steps it would take for me to "loop" a pattern on the sidewalk or floor...each step was about the same size, so it was a cool way for me to look for a pattern in determining where the loop would go. But I like to look for patterns.

I also remember that I would get bored and take shampoo bottles or medicine containers or whatever and count how many times each letter of the alphabet occurred. I still do it if I am somewhere and I am super bored and can't do anything else. I did it this week where I interned at a high school because I didn't bring anything with me, and all I had were a few papers with lots of words on them. I spent 2 hours seeing the most common vowel of all the papers and what order would be the most consistent as a sample.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2011, 10:44:11 PM »
When I was four I wanted to be Bill Cosby when I grew up. When I was five I threw an absolute fit, and cried for hours when I found out I couldn't actually BE Bill Cosby when I grew up.

Also, at 3 or 4.... I wanted a little city of real miniature people for Christmas. I would love them and care for them and look after them. I would feed them, and they would be my friends, and if they were bad, I would grab them and flick there little heads off with my finger. I remember being really angry to learn that this was an impossibility. My family doctor told my mother that this would "hopefully" diminish over time, but my God complex only grew and grew.  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2011, 11:50:58 PM »
Who didn't? That reminds me of a submission in the "If everything was designed by a 5-year-old" photoshop contest at Cracked.

I know it's a slight variation, but I'll bet dollars to pesos the majority of us played this game:

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2011, 01:01:24 AM »
Oh yeah, it's called "travel around the world", and you had to travel around the room without touching the floor. Always did this with friends.

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2011, 03:10:46 AM »
Lava floor! That's awesome, I miss those days.

Also, about lava tiles: Outside our elementary school there were tiles of two different kinds, and they were placed pretty irregularly so sometimes it was very challenging to only walk on one kind (at least when we were kids, my legs are much longer now.) We'd call the smooth tiles butter, and the bumpy ones were crispbread. The fun thing was I was the only one in my class to choose to walk on the butter tiles. Everyone were always whining about how I walked on the wrong tiles, but I knew deep inside me that I was right and they were wrong. :D

(I don't know if crispbread is common outside of Sweden, so for those of you who don't know it, it's a hard, flat kind of bread, often uneven on the surface.)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2011, 06:43:22 AM »
Oh yeah, it's called "travel around the world", and you had to travel around the room without touching the floor. Always did this with friends.

That too!

MJ: I never played that game. What is it?