Author Topic: When I was a kid...  (Read 15503 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: When I was a kid...
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 03:23:26 PM »
so much win in this thread
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 03:25:38 PM »
3) I thought a commercial was a thick mustachemaybe that was Sonata216 :/

That was mine you goose head!

A) Read the microfont in that post

B) Did I mistake you for someone else?

Ready for the twist?

I am Sonata216

That's what I thought hence the microfonted message ;)

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
There was a commercial on TV for some Cinnamon Toast Crunch. But this was a special version, because it had lightning patterns on the cereal or something.

So, because I had always wanted electricity manipulation (like from my hands and such) to be my superpower as a kid, I begged and pleaded my parents and grandparents to buy it for me, with an attempted convincing conversation as I explained why I needed the cereal.

When I got it, I was disappoint. Luckily my high school graduation was the next day, so that took my mind off of things.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 04:25:33 PM »
Luckily my high school graduation was the next day, so that took my mind off of things.

:rollin
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 05:28:27 PM »
Luckily my high school graduation was the next day, so that took my mind off of things.

:rollin

Brought a warm chuckle to me.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 07:27:45 PM »
When I was little, I wanted to marry my dad until I was like 5!  :rollin

Now I can't stand the man...
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 07:39:05 PM »
When I was little, I wanted to marry my dad until I was like 5!  :rollin

Now I can't stand the man...
Actually in psychology this is simply explained by a freudian concept known as the electra complex which is very common for people around that age. This electra complex means that the young child will want to marry the dad until around 6. It is believed by some psychologists as to one of the reasons why many girls are attracted to males. God i'm a nerd.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »
There was a commercial on TV for some Cinnamon Toast Crunch. But this was a special version, because it had lightning patterns on the cereal or something.

So, because I had always wanted electricity manipulation (like from my hands and such) to be my superpower as a kid, I begged and pleaded my parents and grandparents to buy it for me, with an attempted convincing conversation as I explained why I needed the cereal.

When I got it, I was disappoint. Luckily my high school graduation was the next day, so that took my mind off of things.
If this wasn't a joke, I would've recommended you play inFamous. :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2011, 04:28:21 AM »
Haha, I wasn't joking except for the last sentence...that all happened when I was maybe 8 or so?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2011, 04:40:15 AM »
It is believed by some psychologists as to one of the reasons why many girls are attracted to males.

wait wat

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 04:56:30 AM »
When I was a kid, I was scared of flushing the toilet. I always pulled the handle and then ran out of the room as fast as I could, because I thought that if I didn't, an enormous spider would come down from the roof and hit me in the face. (Don't ask how I came to believe this, I haven't got a clue.)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2011, 04:58:18 AM »
^^kindred spirits^^

mine was verbal tramma
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2011, 07:13:19 AM »
-pee fights with my dad to get potty trained
-getting eaten up by my blankie and pretending like I was inside some monster
-putting on a captain underpants play for my parents every night
-thinking that sprinklers were giant worms that came out of the ground in the morning
-POKEMON CARDS
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2011, 08:22:38 AM »
More of a story this time:

When I was a kid, I was terribly afraid of the dark. When I got too scared in my room, I'd walk over to the other side of the house and sleep with my grandma.

So one night I got scared in my dark room, and started my nightly trek to grandma's room (which of course down a dark hallway). Unfortunately, my mom accidentally set the alarm to motion sensor. So I got halfway through the hall, and this BLARING alarm goes off. I RUN to my grandma's room and crash through her door. She screams (thinking someone broke in), and I scream back (just freakin' scared), we both exchange screams once more, and then I jump in her bed hiding under the covers.

She screams some more thinking a robber has just jumped in her bed.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2011, 09:05:29 AM »
I used to think that the receptacle for cigarette butts was an "ass-tray", so was hesitant to use the word.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2011, 09:30:03 AM »
When I was like...7, I was aware that semen came from your balls.... and I knew that semen went up into a girls veejayjay.... I also knew that there was no fucking way I was sticking my nuts into a tight space to get cracked......YEEEOOOWWW!!!!! :omg:

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
When I was a child I thought that When Dream And Day Unite only had 6 songs because the tape copy I'd been given had been taped over a Prince-Purple Rain tape.

years later I discovered there two other songs.................Im not surprised though..............it was only a matter of time.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2011, 10:20:10 AM »
When I was a child I thought that When Dream And Day Unite only had 6 songs because the tape copy I'd been given had been taped over a Prince-Purple Rain tape.

years later I discovered there two other songs.................Im not surprised though..............it was only a matter of time.

I remember being freaked out by a record player.  I used to think it was haunted when the stylus would lift off the record and go back to where it rests.  I must've been three at the time.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2011, 10:56:23 AM »
I was just the opposite.  My parents had a "nice" turntable that was fully automatic like that, and us kids just had this stupid thing where you had to manually put the tone arm on the record and take it off after.  I thought it was the coolest thing that my parents could just push a button and the machine would take it from there.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Yup, that happened. Move along...
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2011, 02:38:42 PM »
When I was a kid, I thought you needed an apple-shaped bowl to eat Apple Jacks out of, and if you didn't have one, the police would come by and put you in jail for an improper bowl. I cried the first time my mom bought it for me.

When I was like...7, I was aware that semen came from your balls.... and I knew that semen went up into a girls veejayjay.... I also knew that there was no fucking way I was sticking my nuts into a tight space to get cracked......YEEEOOOWWW!!!!! :omg:

I always thought that your balls unraveled like balls of yarn, and these two long tubes would come out of your junk and impregnate the egg directly, like the world's most nightmarish garden hoses. Sex ed came as a relief to me in many ways.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Yup, that happened. Move along...
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »
I always thought that your balls unraveled like balls of yarn, and these two long tubes would come out of your junk and impregnate the egg directly, like the world's most nightmarish garden hoses. Sex ed came as a relief to me in many ways.

I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »

Seriously :lol :lol

Anyhow, I"ll throw some out there:
- I used flush and run as well. I hated anything that made any sort of "loud" noise and the flush sound scared me.

- I used to cry in haunted houses until I was probably 10 years old because I had such a strong startle reflex.

- When I was about 8 years old my best friend and I thought "balls" was slang for boobs, and we referred to our balls on playground one day in front of some boys who laughed at us.

- When I was about 8 years old an older troublemaker girl up the street told me that black boys have white penises, similar to how the palms of their hands and bottom of their feet are white. I never thought to question it until sometime in my late teens when I recall being completely unable to decide whether she had been telling me the truth or not.

- I thought a "blow job" was blowing air on a guy's penis. This belief lasted just long enough to net a "what are you doing?"
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2011, 07:54:16 PM »
- I thought a "blow job" was blowing air on a guy's penis. This belief lasted just long enough to net a "what are you doing?"

So the guy was all like

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2011, 07:56:15 PM »
To be fair, that slang is the complete opposite of what you're suppose to do.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »
@Jamesman: No kidding... :hat

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »

Yeah, way to fuck a girl up!
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »
When I was younger, I though that it was common for all the pages in smut mags to stick together.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 08:47:36 PM »

I've always wondered about that, too.  How can "suck" and "blow" actually mean the same thing?  Something "cool" can also be considered "hot".   And honestly, I'm glad that terms like "bad" and "phat" and "stoopid" have gone away for the most part.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2011, 09:27:23 PM »
And honestly, I'm glad that terms like "bad" and "phat" and "stoopid" have gone away for the most part.

Yeah, me too.  Those phrases were mad dumb.

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2011, 12:24:57 AM »
When I was a kid.. I didn't know how to pronounce guitar.. so I'd call it a Dick-ar..

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2011, 06:11:23 AM »
I thought you needed a different licence to drive standard compared to automatic. I argued this point until it was finally proven to me that I was enormously incorrect.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2011, 06:26:08 AM »
Oh, one time some kid convinced me on my 6th birthday that I had another birthday 3 days later.

Another disappointment.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2011, 07:06:12 AM »
I thought you needed a different licence to drive standard compared to automatic. I argued this point until it was finally proven to me that I was enormously incorrect.
Really? You do here. If you do your driver's exam with an automatic you get a big stamp that says AUTOMATISCH on your driver's license, so it's not valid when driving with manual transmission.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2011, 07:08:22 AM »
1. I called the fast food joint "Berber King" until I got in an argument with my best friend at 5 years old because he thought it was BURGER KING or something, pshh... :loser:

2. I was one of those who thought that when you turned on a CD or listened to the radio that someone was actually playing it right there, except I thought that instead of the band being inside the disc or car radio, the band would get a telephone call wherever they were that someone was listening to their CD and they would have to play until that person was done listening.

3. For some reason when I was like 6 or 7 I didn't really understand how long a year was, so when the previews for Disney's Hercules said it would be released in 1997 or 1998, I thought I'd be taking my own kids to see it.

4. I thought parents who wanted babies bought them at the hospital.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2011, 07:11:32 AM »
I thought an ATM would just give you the money you needed.

You and me go parallel, together and apart