Author Topic: Anyone else sick of whiny white guy music?  (Read 7517 times)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anyone else sick of whiny white guy music?
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2011, 07:30:24 AM »
James Blunt doesn't even like his own music :lol

I remember watching an interview with him and he was asked about how he makes fun of his own music at live shows etc. and he said: "Well? Have you heard my music?" and laughed.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 07:33:34 AM »
Yeah, I saw him on Top Gear and he's a pretty lighthearted and fun guy. 

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2011, 07:34:50 AM »
Definitely and his music is very very far from the worst out there.

As someone already said (can't be bothered checking), it's pretty inoffensive.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 07:36:44 AM »
Jason Mraz annoys me more.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 07:44:38 AM »
Is he the one who sings "I'm Yours?"  Yeah, its pretty unoffensive, and I know I sound like a really emo kid when I say its just TOO bubbly (and fake-reggae).  I just can't get into it the way I can get into a happy chiptune song, for example. 

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
GOD I hate these kinds of songs, makes me want to rip my own head off

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 08:02:57 AM »
This thread surprises me. I don't like the songs in the the OP, but it isn't bad either. It's just there, which is why stores probably play them in the first place...inoffensive music.

Also, I fail to see how it is whiny music. It's just a person singing with some emotion.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 08:25:05 AM »
Is he the one who sings "I'm Yours?"  Yeah, its pretty unoffensive, and I know I sound like a really emo kid when I say its just TOO bubbly (and fake-reggae).  I just can't get into it the way I can get into a happy chiptune song, for example. 

Yup. There's just something that annoys me about him.  I have bubbly songs from other people that don't annoy like Jason does.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2011, 08:36:18 AM »
This thread surprises me. I don't like the songs in the the OP, but it isn't bad either. It's just there, which is why stores probably play them in the first place...inoffensive music.

Also, I fail to see how it is whiny music. It's just a person singing with some emotion.

It's about whiny white guy things, though.  You know, like, "having a bad day."  Sorry, but only a whiny white guy would sing a song about having a bad day! 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »
...you've never actually listened to "Bad Day," have you?  Or paid attention to the lyrics, obviously.  He's not singing about himself having a bad day, he's singing about someone else, a close friend maybe, having a bad day, and its not even a literal bad day.  The song's more about trying to help this friend out of whatever depression he's in.

And anyways, by your logic, Dream Theater are a bunch of whiny white guys because of "A Nightmare to Remember," an event which, in its simplest form, is a pretty bad day.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2011, 08:44:40 AM »
That's a little much.  I honestly don't see how you could wretch and say "this is terrible."  I mean, they're no "Friday" or "Tik Tok."
Well, for me the difference is, a song like, "Friday" was pretty much made intentionally bad. The two songs in the OP are regarded as good songs and are very popular. I just really loathe both those songs so much, especially James Blunt, whose song is just as bad as "Friday", to my ears.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2011, 08:53:11 AM »
That's a little much.  I honestly don't see how you could wretch and say "this is terrible."  I mean, they're no "Friday" or "Tik Tok."
Well, for me the difference is, a song like, "Friday" was pretty much made intentionally bad. The two songs in the OP are regarded as good songs and are very popular. I just really loathe both those songs so much, especially James Blunt, whose song is just as bad as "Friday", to my ears.

Sometimes it's like a commercial that you first like then, after seeing it a thousand times in one week it grates on you.  That's what turns me on a song.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2011, 09:57:39 AM »
...you've never actually listened to "Bad Day," have you?  Or paid attention to the lyrics, obviously.  He's not singing about himself having a bad day, he's singing about someone else, a close friend maybe, having a bad day, and its not even a literal bad day.  The song's more about trying to help this friend out of whatever depression he's in.

Um, lol..... I just read the lyrics (not that I needed to, but just out of curiosity) and that song is nowhere near as deep as you're making it out to be.  In my opinion, it's a cheesy song that is sung by a whiny white guy about a whiny white guy topic (having a bad day).  You're free to like it, though.  :)

And anyways, by your logic, Dream Theater are a bunch of whiny white guys because of "A Nightmare to Remember," an event which, in its simplest form, is a pretty bad day.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2011, 10:02:57 AM »
I never said it was deep.  Its a pretty simple song.  But you were implying that the singer was whining about himself having a bad day, which really wasn't the case.  Besides (bit off topic), can it really be called "whining" if its not about you? 

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Funny because its true, I know. :)

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »
Riiiiiiight.  :)  

edit: by the way, your reply to me is within the quote box.  :)

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2011, 10:18:42 AM »
I never said it was deep.  Its a pretty simple song.  But you were implying that the singer was whining about himself having a bad day, which really wasn't the case.  Besides (bit off topic), can it really be called "whining" if its not about you? 

Oops, I missed this part of your reply.  No, I didn't imply that he was singing about himself.  The lyrics go:  "YOU had a bad day."  Why would I think he's singing about himself if he was saying that someone else had a bad day?  What I said was that only a whiny white guy would even pick that topic to write about - and, that's regardless of WHO he's referring to.  It's just such a whiny white guy song.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »

edit: by the way, your reply to me is within the quote box.  :)

And by pointing this out it makes you right?

I see your point SE ans I see sky's.  I think it's the overplaying of a song until it's drilled in your head (I'm looking at you department stores) that make up think it.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2011, 10:22:57 AM »
And by pointing this out it makes you right?

No, not at all.  I was just being a jerk.  Sorry. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »

Oops, I missed this part of your reply.  No, I didn't imply that he was singing about himself.  The lyrics go:  "YOU had a bad day."  Why would I think he's singing about himself if he was saying that someone else had a bad day?  What I said was that only a whiny white guy would even pick that topic to write about - and, that's regardless of WHO he's referring to.  It's just such a whiny white guy song.  :lol

See, that's why I was under the impression you never heard the song before because he clearly says "you" while the way you worded the post I was responding to made me think you thought he was singing about himself.  Glad we got that bit sorted out.  Of course, doesn't change the fact that JP is a whiny white guy.

And again, its not literally a bad day.  The song implies that the depression's been around longer than a day. :P

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »
^Kinda like Hollow Years, actually.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2011, 12:05:58 PM »
Lol, exactly!

By the way why hasn't this been moved yet?  Are the mods still in bed from Memorial Day hangovers?  Even XJ and Ariich? :P

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2011, 12:23:30 PM »
I'll never understand why people don't just tune the music they don't like out. I find it so easy to do, partly because I never intentionally listen to the radio.

Typically it's just a few music snobs who get their egos bruised every time something *GASP* radio-friendly gets played on the radio. I find them far more annoying than any of this so-called "whiny white guy music."

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2011, 02:04:55 PM »
I remember hearing this song for this first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHm9MG9xw1o
I was like holy shit this is beautiful. But then the vocals came in...

That is an awesome song, wtf?

I clicked on the links in the OP and I was like 'Oh, god.'  Pretty sure James Blunt was one of egypt's plagues, right in between locusts and frogs.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2011, 02:24:30 PM »
I remember hearing this song for this first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHm9MG9xw1o
I was like holy shit this is beautiful. But then the vocals came in...

That is an awesome song, wtf?
I don't know... The vocals ruin it for me. This song could've been WAY more based on the intro. Now it's just a song with great intro.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
I love the vocals and the lyrics.  Ryan Tedder has such a good range.  His falsetto is nice as, too.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Really? That's actually one of the only white-guy songs I like!
\

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
These types of songs have been around forever. Sometimes they're not too bad, and other times they suck; but usually I just ignore this type of music. Here is a bit of a  blast from the past. Don't speak too poorly of me when you do. I didn't mean to hurt anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA6BqS9FlQ0&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3j_fdSpkmE&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQvUSrIrcE
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2011, 03:29:25 PM »
Temp, you could add this Eric Carman song as well.  Every store I worked at in the 80's played this song every 4 hours! :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI4fzajz3Ok

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2011, 04:06:47 PM »
James Blunt has some pretty good stuff on his 'Back To Bedlam' album. You're Beautiful is actually a pretty good song. I don't find it to be annoying at all
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen