Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 36853 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #350 on: January 11, 2017, 04:00:47 AM »
He probably wasn't joking but i'm used to the writing and he may have meant takeaway food.

You are probably right but this is Gatiss and Moffatt we're on about :p

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #351 on: January 11, 2017, 06:08:28 AM »
I think you're referring to this exchange:

SHERLOCK (loudly over the noise of the hovering helicopter, stepping forward and walking to John’s side): To clarify: Appledore’s vaults only exist in your mind, nowhere else, just there.
MAGNUSSEN (looking towards the helicopter): They’re not real. They never have been.

While a bit contradictory, I think it means that he just doesn't have it all stored somewhere like a vault, but could still aquire proper evidence if he needs it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: January 15, 2017, 03:56:23 AM »
So. Final episode tonight.

God I hope that the final shot is not Moriarty coming back and then we have to wait 2 years to NOT be told how he's not dead.

:facepalm:

Moriarty is back !!

- 2 years later -

John to Sherlock : So...Wait...How is Moriarty not dead ?

Sherlock to John : it doesn't matter - he's back.

NEVER MENTIONED AGAIN.

THANKS WRITERS

- - - - - - - -

I wonder if Gatiss and Moffatt knew how Sherlock survived the Reichenbach fall or if in the 2 years they read every fan theory and just picked one :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #353 on: January 15, 2017, 10:14:15 PM »
So did Sherlocks sister brainwash Moriarty also? Anyway for as fun as the episode was I thought there were moments that they were really stretching the realm of what she could be capable of. All in all I enjoyed the season and really hope we get another.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #354 on: January 16, 2017, 04:09:28 AM »
What the Hell was that!  Again quite entertaining but absolute nonsense of the highest order.

So Sherlock had repressed his memory of his sister, so his parents never brought this up like ever?  What was the point of the grenade, clearly she didn't want to kill Sherlock (at that moment), in fact I'm not entirely certain of her motive (did she want to kill Sherlock or just want a hug? why leave the island to become a Therapist/Bus Girl/Smith's fake sister).   Another 'mind palace' ugh....A missing dog is one thing, but a missing Child would have been investigated by the orthoritys for ages.  Why was Morarity making video's to Sherlock when he seemed so certain he'd won (at the end of series 2) - talking of video's how many of the sodding things has Mary made?

Just so messy. (and surprisngly similar plot to Spectre - even including an underwhelming Andrew Scott Cameo).

Next time just solve some interesting mysteries maybe?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:18:15 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: January 16, 2017, 04:32:01 AM »
Final Shot : Rathbone place. I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:51:45 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: January 16, 2017, 05:52:58 AM »
I thought it was a bit boring. Also - When did the tombstones with the wrong dates on get made ?? I thought it was when they were all little

but they somehow had a code on for Adult Sherlock to decipher right at that very minute. That's some God Level forward planning. . .

Am I missing something ?

- - - - - - - -

Either way - that episode definitely had a sense of finality about it in more ways than one.

I do love how they revealed Moriarty's re-appearance with "Five Years Ago".

I was relieved then. No stupid " he just is " explanation.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:06:59 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: January 16, 2017, 10:03:03 AM »
Does anyone else even watch the show ?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: January 16, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »
I do, and I thought this episode was abysmal. No offense to anyone who liked it, but in my opinion, this was the worst Sherlock episode by far, and it came to the point when I seriously considered just turning it off. This is the first Sherlock episode I kind of regret wasting my time on. This stuff with different rooms and experiments in the middle was ridiculous, it's like I watched Saw or played Portal or whatever, and it was also contrived as hell. Definitely not something I want to see in this show.

I won't even go to details, since I'm frustrated a bit too much that one of my favourite shows turned into such a disaster, but I will probably read the feedback and reviews for S5 (if it ever happens) before watching it.

(It also doesn't help that I have to stay up until 2 A.M. to finish the episode, and I have to get up at 5 A.M., so I'm feeling even worse about time wasted on watching this episode.)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: January 16, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
Yeah I hate when good shows "go dark" because......that's what you do ?

I really miss S1 where it was more about villain of the week - solving smaller crimes which led to an overall mastermind.

If there is a S5 - which I doubt as The Final problem did seem to be wrapping everything up - I so hope they make it a lot lighter overall.

No idea how the tombstones when they were kids meant that Eurus was in the house at the exact moment Sherlock solved the code.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: January 16, 2017, 10:28:33 AM »
I really miss S1 where it was more about villain of the week - solving smaller crimes which led to an overall mastermind.

I totally second that, S1 was my favourite by far. The first episode is the one I used to get my friends watch this show and it always worked.

I admit I didn't get the tombstones part exactly, but I was watching the episode with Russian translation (it airs at the same time as BBC) and things like that tend to get lost in translation (it didn't make sense to me at all). While it wasn't a problem for the first two episodes of the show, which I rewatched later in English, I have no desire to watch this one again.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: January 16, 2017, 10:32:19 AM »
I had to leave literally the same time the episode finished so i wasn't paying 100% attention..

..But there was mention of baby sherlock liking the gravestones as a child because the dates didn't add up.

Now 30 odd years later - he solves the code to mean help Me Brother - i'm in my room ?!

What ?? How does that even work ? Did baby Eurus make the gravestones ?

I need to re-watch it properly

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: January 16, 2017, 11:13:13 AM »
..But there was mention of baby sherlock liking the gravestones as a child because the dates didn't add up.

Now 30 odd years later - he solves the code to mean help Me Brother - i'm in my room ?!

What ?? How does that even work ? Did baby Eurus make the gravestones ?

I'm just as frustrated with this episode (and season) as the rest of the folks who like this show. It was 'off' in a way....like the writers got a bit too full of themselves. Anyway, I took it as a young Eros put together the puzzle for Sherlock when they were kiddos because she was jealous of his best friend then....and that, had a young Sherlock figured it out then he'd have saved his little buddy back in the day. Being that he never solved it back then....she just kept the same puzzle in place for him when she used John as the victim this time around. Had he solved it way back when they were young she'd have been in her room then as well.

Either way....the entire episode was way too bombastic and over the top, and...despite elements of the show always being 'unbelievable' or just too involved....the whole episode was entirely ridiculous to the point of silly.

From Mycroft allowing Moriarty 'five minutes alone' with Eros....two of the most evil minded, cunning individuals alive....to like Evermind said the B-Rated horror show crap of a puzzle in each room....it was just silly which is a shame because this show can be so incredible at times.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: January 16, 2017, 02:00:06 PM »
The internet has not been kind to the Finale either. Tons of articles questioning the show....questioning if a 5th season is even something wanted at this point? Yikes...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: January 17, 2017, 12:22:43 AM »
While not as good as I hoped it would be, I'm not nearly as displeased as you guys seem to be. I liked it, not as much as some other episodes of Sherlock, but I still liked it.

And no, Eurus obviously didn't make the gravestones, she just built her pussle around them.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #365 on: January 17, 2017, 02:25:30 AM »
And no, Eurus obviously didn't make the gravestones, she just built her pussle around them.
This.

I took it as a young Eros put together the puzzle for Sherlock when they were kiddos because she was jealous of his best friend then....and that, had a young Sherlock figured it out then he'd have saved his little buddy back in the day. Being that he never solved it back then....she just kept the same puzzle in place for him when she used John as the victim this time around. Had he solved it way back when they were young she'd have been in her room then as well.
And this.

Anyway I liked it. Not perfect, but it was absolutely thrilling television.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #366 on: January 17, 2017, 03:28:16 AM »
Did anyone else find it odd that Euros appariently told that she had drowned 'redbeard' yet no one thought to check the open well.....even more so once you know redbeard is in fact a child not a dog, and therefore would have sparked a investigation.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: January 17, 2017, 03:31:01 AM »
Yes. When Mycroft said - she cryptically started calling him "drowned redbeard" I was like " ??? Um. That's not very cryptic. "

In fact that narrows it down significantly.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #368 on: January 17, 2017, 03:45:53 AM »
I thought she only started calling him "drowned redbeard" later on. Creepy though she was as a child, I'm not sure why the Holmes parents would consider that she'd murdered her brother's friend. Clearly if they thought she was capable of that they'd have done something about it (which they did later on when they had her incarcerated).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #369 on: January 17, 2017, 08:37:12 AM »
I thought she only started calling him "drowned redbeard" later on. Creepy though she was as a child, I'm not sure why the Holmes parents would consider that she'd murdered her brother's friend. Clearly if they thought she was capable of that they'd have done something about it (which they did later on when they had her incarcerated).

I got the feeling that she told Sherlock she'd taken Redbeard hence mocked him with the rhyme clue, which lead to him trying to solve it - I would imagine his parents would have be aware of this as one of the mocking scene's we saw was at a dinner table.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: January 17, 2017, 08:38:48 AM »
" If this series of Sherlock is too confusing for you - go read a children's book instead. One with hard pages. "

- Mark Gatiss.

Glad i'm not a fan frankly. I just watch it for Benedict & Martin.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: January 17, 2017, 11:22:54 AM »
While not as good as I hoped it would be, I'm not nearly as displeased as you guys seem to be. I liked it, not as much as some other episodes of Sherlock, but I still liked it.

I still liked it....not trying to imply I didn't. This show is better than 90% of what's on television. But I will say that this season was the 'weakest' if I had to rate them.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: January 18, 2017, 10:25:34 PM »
The show has really gone downhill. At some point it stopped being solving crimes/mysteries and just became about totally nonsensical personal circumstances. I don't want it to be a typical, boring procedural, but it'd be nice if it was a little more grounded in reality.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: January 20, 2017, 07:05:56 AM »
Since I still really enjoyed the season I'm not too hyped to contribute to the negativity, but after some thinking about the final episode I realized my personal biggest issue with it and thought I'd share.

We never really get to see Eurus be a genius. We hear about it, again and again. "She's an era defining genius", "she enslaves everyone she talks to", "it took her only five minutes to do this to us", "she made this clever puzzle", and so on. And sure, she had a long and complicated plan that all worked out, but that was planned years in advance, which is never as cool as displays of intelligence in the moment. Sherlock is at his coolest when he notices all these different things and has to be a genius in the moment, and I'm disappointed after all the Eurus buildup that we never got a moment that showed us how much more of a genius Eurus is. Instead we were just told it over and over, and it's implied all the time.

So that's my biggest problem. There's no big cool villain moment where she really gets to shine. The actress did great, but I'd have loved for the character to have a better show-off moment.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #374 on: January 23, 2017, 08:31:20 AM »
Since I still really enjoyed the season I'm not too hyped to contribute to the negativity, but after some thinking about the final episode I realized my personal biggest issue with it and thought I'd share.

We never really get to see Eurus be a genius. We hear about it, again and again. "She's an era defining genius", "she enslaves everyone she talks to", "it took her only five minutes to do this to us", "she made this clever puzzle", and so on. And sure, she had a long and complicated plan that all worked out, but that was planned years in advance, which is never as cool as displays of intelligence in the moment. Sherlock is at his coolest when he notices all these different things and has to be a genius in the moment, and I'm disappointed after all the Eurus buildup that we never got a moment that showed us how much more of a genius Eurus is. Instead we were just told it over and over, and it's implied all the time.

So that's my biggest problem. There's no big cool villain moment where she really gets to shine. The actress did great, but I'd have loved for the character to have a better show-off moment.

That's kindoff been the problem with SHerlock since the end of series two.  We constantly get told Sherlock is a genius but we never actually get shown this anymore.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: January 23, 2017, 08:40:57 AM »
I just hate that all serial fiction has to "go dark" at some point. Like it's a requirement.

I would be more than happy of 4 series like the first series.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #376 on: January 23, 2017, 10:12:38 AM »
I've got nothing against dark. I actually prefer it and always have, so no complaint from me there.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: January 23, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »

That's kindoff been the problem with SHerlock since the end of series two.  We constantly get told Sherlock is a genius but we never actually get shown this anymore.
Yeah. How many times do we need to be told things like "Oh, I set that up weeks ago, predicting your every move" with no evidence for it whatsoever?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #378 on: January 23, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »
But at least with Sherlock we do get moments where we actually see him be super intelligent and use his genius. It's not like they never prove that to us, we get stuff like that constantly. My problem is that they never gave us anything like that with Eurus.