Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 36869 times)

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2014, 05:58:18 PM »
For me, it's just the very sad lack of quality television out there that makes me sad that something so good is over so quickly.  More, smaller meals rather than three feasts...then nothing for a year or more would be my preference.

I feel the same about "Luther" even though the series is longer.  I don't watch much serialized TV for that reason.  I love British dramas but I don't like that they seem to be over and done just like *snap*.  :(

I'm going to find a nice long one on Netflix (MI5, perhaps?) and deal with it that way.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »
Have you seen Spaced ?

Offline sueño

« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »
No, is it good ?
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2014, 06:46:31 PM »
Yes !!

It's one of the best English comedy shows ever !

Simon Pegg & Nick Frost from the Cornetto films are in it - along with most of the guest actors. And Edgar Wright directed it.

Bill Bailey is in it too. It's brilliant. It's very nerdy and full of pop culture references.

Try and find the 1st episode on You tube :) x

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2014, 04:51:58 AM »
spaced is channel 4, most of their older stuff is up on netflix (at least in the UK it is)

EDIT: Just checked, seems that they haven't put spaced up on netflix. boo hiss etc.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2014, 07:00:01 AM »
I loved the second episode, I knew it was going to be amazing but it actually pleasantly surprised me. So good.

Offline sueño

« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2014, 11:24:50 AM »
spaced is channel 4, most of their older stuff is up on netflix (at least in the UK it is)

EDIT: Just checked, seems that they haven't put spaced up on netflix. boo hiss etc.

It WAS there for streaming - I had it in my queue for ages.  I just never got around to watching it.  Now, it's only on CD.  Netflix had a big purge of streaming content recently.  :(

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2014, 04:43:49 AM »
You should try and find Spaced somewhere else. It's only 14 episodes in total.

Offline sueño

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2014, 12:51:07 AM »
:caffeine:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2014, 02:53:45 AM »
Nice! Hopefully we won't have to endure another two year wait then, maybe just one?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2014, 06:30:27 AM »
That would be cool seeing as I only started watching Sherlock a year ago :lol

Last night I watched The Empty Hearse & The Sign Of Three back to back . . .

While they are great episodes - they both feel lacking in some department compared to the first two series.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2014, 07:05:19 AM »
I enjoyed this last one, but not as much as the first. I thought the show should've been more linear. Felt it jumped around too much

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2014, 07:29:07 AM »
I enjoyed this last one, but not as much as the first. I thought the show should've been more linear. Felt it jumped around too much
This is a show by Moffat and Gatiss. Don't expect too much linear storytelling. :lol

Personally I thought it worked so well in this episode. Using the wedding speech as a framing device for the plots, and then bringing it together with the wedding actually being central to the plot after all, was just great.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2014, 08:36:22 AM »
And that speech was amazing. Very moving too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »
This is a show by Moffat and Gatiss. Don't expect too much linear storytelling. :lol

Personally I thought it worked so well in this episode. Using the wedding speech as a framing device for the plots, and then bringing it together with the wedding actually being central to the plot after all, was just great.

Yeah it was fantastic - at first I thought they were just dropping in snippets of cases to give the wedding episode some semblance of a normal Sherlock episode - rather than it just being about the wedding for 90 minutes - but then when all the loose threads got tied up at the end - it was brilliant. Really great writing.

I'm assuming that to write something like that - you start with "someone gets murdered at the wedding but there's no murderer " and extrapolate backwards from there - creating plot threads that you can flesh out.

I can't imagine writing something like that forwards...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2014, 04:08:29 PM »
https://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a542720/sherlock-series-4-well-make-it-as-quickly-as-we-can-says-moffat.html

Good news. Hopefully the wait will be less than two years this time! At least Freeman doesn't have any more Hobbit to film.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »
And Khanberbatch won't be doing another Trek / Fifth Estate Part II : The Wrath Of Assange.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2014, 02:15:58 AM »
And Khanberbatch won't be doing another Trek / Fifth Estate Part II : The Wrath Of Assange.

... Or will he? *mystery music*

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2014, 03:22:59 AM »
Am I the only one who is deadly interested in knowing the full "Elephant In The Room" and "Inexplicable" cases?  :-X
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2014, 03:58:41 AM »
Yes :D

They were obviously just sight gags and nothing more.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2014, 04:05:14 AM »
I know, but I would nonetheless appreciate if they were expanded into full cases by someone willing and capable.  :biggrin:
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2014, 04:08:58 AM »
:D Ask Rob Webster - he's into that whole scripty-writey-wibbly-wobbly stuff. :p

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2014, 03:39:39 PM »
However long it is until series 4, IT'S TOO LONG.

That was soooooooo good!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »
Currently downloading from iPlayer but people have already been orgasming all over twitter because they can't control themselves.

But I managed to steer clear of major plot points save for a surprise at the end.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »
MY GOD THAT WAS GOOD!

SPOILERS BENEATH:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So that's why they never revealed the full story of the fall from the roof in a satisfactory way! How the holy hell are they going to explain that plot twist!? We saw him literally shoot himself in the mouth, thats usually pretty fatal right!?
Fave bits:
- Sherlock thinking through the best course of action when he has just been shot and trying to control his body
- When Sherlock took the simple solution of just shooting him when he realised the bearded guy (whose name I have already forgotten) was the single-point failure of his whole empire, nobody could possibly take it over from him!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2014, 05:24:02 PM »
Meh. I liked the previous 2 episodes much more. Still good, but disappointing final episode. And the whole vaults thing I found to be rather predictable. Don't like it when I can guess things happening on a Sherlock episode.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2014, 06:40:25 PM »
SPOLIERS

Moriarty could have fired blanks and had a blood pack on the back of his head. Easily done. i didn't think Magnussen was that great as a villain. Too irritating and not scary enough.

And as soon as it was revealed that the vaults were all in his head - the only logical next step was to shoot him, surely ?

I just assumed Mycroft would do it.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2014, 12:37:35 AM »
And as soon as it was revealed that the vaults were all in his head - the only logical next step was to shoot him, surely ?

Mycroft didn't know that fact.

Magnusson had presumably never revealed it to anyone, but revealed it to Sherlock and Watson imagining that they would never just murder him. Indeed, I think that usually Sherlock would not have done that, and he only did it because of the vow he made in the previous episode to always look after John and Mary. Hence the title of the episode, "His Last Vow". Actually rather brilliant, in my opinion!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2014, 04:24:25 AM »
I thought it was a stunning episode.  :lol
- Marco

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2014, 04:46:08 AM »
Me too.

I also thought Magnusson was properly creepy! So cold and brutal.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2014, 06:24:38 AM »
SPOLIERS

Moriarty could have fired blanks and had a blood pack on the back of his head. Easily done. i didn't think Magnussen was that great as a villain. Too irritating and not scary enough.

AFAIK even firing a blank in to your cranium would kill you.

This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2014, 08:47:44 AM »
All's i'm saying is - If Moriarty is not dead after all then there's plenty of ways to get around it with fake guns etc...

Also i like how the theme music was about to start and then it suddenly cut back to 2 more minutes of episode :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »
I think Series 3 was all about character building and series 4 will get back to being like the first two 2 series with the possible return of Moriarty.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2014, 09:25:19 AM »
All's i'm saying is - If Moriarty is not dead after all then there's plenty of ways to get around it with fake guns etc...
It's definitely possible. I thought that when the Reichenbach Fall first aired. We seem him fire and fall and some red liquid come out the back of his head, but that's not proof.

When they had all that "did you miss me" stuff at the end of His Last Vow, I did think that maybe Sherlock himself set all that up, as a way to keep himself out of prison/exile in the event of him having to do something like kill Magnusson. But then, at the very END of the credits, we see a actual clip of Moriarty saying it, rather than the cartoon versions before the credits. So I dunno, he could well be alive.

I be am boner inducing.