Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 36857 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2012, 03:22:43 PM »
I should put some of those up.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2014, 07:21:27 AM »
Given that it took Sherlock two years to return from the dead, it's fitting that the same applies to this thread.

So, who's seen The Empty Hearse? So excited to have this show back, even if it is only for two weeks! :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2014, 07:55:02 AM »
Loved the episode but could only think of Khan whenever Benedict was speaking. :p

The only thing that confused me was - as Rich already knows - the moment where Sherlock reveals to Anderson how he did it and afterwards it cuts back to John in the train.

Is this actually a flashback or Anderson fantasising about Sherlock visiting him and revealing everything ?

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2014, 08:27:52 AM »
I thought it was brilliant.  Watson was so emotionally abused   :P
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »
Loved the episode but could only think of Khan whenever Benedict was speaking. :p

The only thing that confused me was - as Rich already knows - the moment where Sherlock reveals to Anderson how he did it and afterwards it cuts back to John in the train.

Is this actually a flashback or Anderson fantasising about Sherlock visiting him and revealing everything ?
As I mentioned on Twitter, I'm pretty sure that's a flashback. It occurs at that particular moment (a cut in the scene on the train) to leave us in suspense about the bomb. But Sherlock goes there to have a go at Anderson for the Ripper scam, and then tells him a story that is almost certainly not the real way he did it. He even walks away with a smirk on his face once Anderson realises this.

I'm hoping that they continue to revisit this throughout the remaining two episodes!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2014, 08:50:44 AM »

Martin's acting was awesome when he saw Sherlock . It was the perfect mixture of confusion and happiness and anger all at once.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2014, 08:57:56 AM »

Martin's acting was awesome when he saw Sherlock . It was the perfect mixture of confusion and happiness and anger all at once.
Definitely. :lol The episode was so nicely done in that regard, seeing the way the different characters responded. I love the way Greg Lestrade hugged him!

Following from your latest Twitter question Kotow, I don't know if they'll keep going with this. Assuming that what Sherlock told Anderson was a lie, I think it'll go one of either two ways. Either they'll continue to revisit it over the rest of series 3, and eventually reveal it (or at the very least reveal more about it), or they'll just move on now and not mention it again. Personally, I'd like it to be the former.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2014, 09:02:29 AM »
Considering Gatiss & Moffatt have said that some people have guessed the correct method - this implies that there is a correct method or else they could just dance around it like what they've been doing so far.

Why would you write a method and tell people that they got it right and then not reveal what they got right ?

I'm fine either way - if they just show 6 more possibilities then it means that they're nodding to the fanbase and "everyone can be right."

But i'd also like a definitive version. But the way The Empty Hearse played out - i'm fine either way.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »
Yeah if they went for that approach, to just never reveal a difinitive version, then that's fine because it's them saying "the exact way that he did it doesn't matter, what matters is what he did to John". Which is a good human angle, but for me wouldn't be very in line with the show in general which is all about the clever details of how the villains do things and how Sherlock works things out.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2014, 10:21:22 AM »
I didn't pick up on the smirk as he left Anderson, I just assumed that was the true sequence of events and was a bit disappointed, I didn't like how many people that story involved.
They seemed to be having fun teasing us so perhaps they are dragging it out a bit more, maybe they will even repeat it because faking death again is needed to get him out of a situation in another episode.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline sueño

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2014, 10:24:21 AM »
The alternate where both Moriarty and Sherlock were giggling behind the stuffed figure with the Sherlock face on it -- I was rolling!   :rollin

The..uhhhh..."after bit" was rather disconcerting...   :P
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2014, 10:37:41 AM »
You'd understand if you spent five minutes on the Sherlock tab on Tumblr.

In fact, the episode seemed designed to troll the living fuck out of the Tumblr Sherlock fandom, and did it brilliantly.

Loved it, of course. Sherlock never lasts long but it gives you more bang for your buck than most full American TV series dream of giving.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »
*SPOILER*

Did anyone else think that the bomb with a handy "off switch" was a little hokey ?

Of course, I know nothing about modern bomb disposal :lol

Sherlock said something about all modern bombs having an off switch. Does this have any basis in reality ?

Seems like it would make bomb disposal a piece of fuckin piss if you can just switch them "off".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »
The alternate where both Moriarty and Sherlock were giggling behind the stuffed figure with the Sherlock face on it -- I was rolling!   :rollin

I can imagine some people finding it uncomfortable but I bet that Andrew & Benedict were loving it :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2014, 03:01:23 PM »
*SPOILER*

Did anyone else think that the bomb with a handy "off switch" was a little hokey ?

Of course, I know nothing about modern bomb disposal :lol

Sherlock said something about all modern bombs having an off switch. Does this have any basis in reality ?

Seems like it would make bomb disposal a piece of fuckin piss if you can just switch them "off".
I can believe it. You rely on the bomb not being seen by anyone. If you couldn't turn it off and you accidentally trigger it, you'd be screwed.

I've no idea if it's true or not though.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline sueño

« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2014, 03:09:48 PM »

I can imagine some people finding it uncomfortable but I bet that Andrew & Benedict were loving it :lol

I'm sure.  I "got" it -- I actually said, "oh man, WHATT??" out loud when it happened!  :D

Just discovered that Sherlock's parents were actually Cumberbatch's parents!  Everything was all in the family last night!  Such a good show!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »
Yeah and Watson's fiancee is actually Freeman's wife.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »
;D Just something I threw together

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2014, 10:05:13 PM »
I didn't realize the show was back already! I'll have to watch the new episode tomorrow, super excite :caffeine:
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2014, 12:19:45 AM »
In the U.S. January 14th I believe. :metal
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2014, 02:48:02 AM »
Awesome episode. Anderson was a great metaphor for the fanbase's likely reaction. Sherlcok and Mycroft's game of deduction was fun to see. Martin Freeman did some fantastic acting.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2014, 07:29:33 AM »
Pretty strong episode, though both s1e1 and s2e1 were stronger. That could be because I generally like Moffat's episodes more, but still. This show is officially on TV in Russia, but I had to acquire it through, well, other sources, because this translation is just :lol They turned "night out with Stamford" line under Watson's eyes in "A Scandal in Belgravia" to like "didn't sleep at night, was walking out with a beloved terrier". Or something like that. It was a disaster anyway.

That switch-off bomb thing... it was borderline believable. I mean, the bomb certainly has to have some kind of switch-off, but a literal switch? Should be more like a code or maybe multiple switches, one turns it off, others blow it up, so the terrorists know which is which, but others do not. It was just, well, kinda convenient.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2014, 03:43:22 PM »
The Empty Hearse was written for the fans, no doubt about it. Less focus on plot, more focus on character interaction and lots of witty banter. I really, really enjoyed it, though, and I loved the scenes between Sherlock and Mycroft immensely. I cannot wait to see the Big Bad of the season and his twisted plans, but I hope they try to make him a different type of character than Moriarty. If the show is just Sherlock facing off against other psychopath geniuses the whole time, it might get stale-- hopefully they'll create very different, individual villain types.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2014, 04:51:46 PM »
Another great episode this week! While the dramatic side hasn't so far been quite as great as in the first two series, the character side is the best its ever been and there is some wonderful stuff in this ep.

The dramatic side is still pretty great though, I loved the way the different strands came together at the end.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2014, 05:29:30 PM »
I'm just downloading it from the BBC Iplayer. I'll watch it tomorrow probably.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2014, 06:16:19 PM »
Man, I love this show. I just hate the tumblr fanbase it has. Seems to concentrate more in their physical appearance and their fantasies about Sherlock and Watson being a gay couple instead of concentrating on the genius of the acting and the screenplay it has.

[SPOILER]And the Empty Hearse was a brilliant comeback. However I still wonder how Sherlock didn't realize why Watson was ignoring him in the beginning of the episode. I mean, he knows how to read people. Just minutes ago he knew a waiter was an expecting father. In Scandal in Belgravia he read Watson's appearance and knew he was going to a date within seconds. How come he didn't realize Watson was going to propose to Mary that night?

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2014, 06:19:59 PM »
Another great episode this week! While the dramatic side hasn't so far been quite as great as in the first two series, the character side is the best its ever been and there is some wonderful stuff in this ep.

The dramatic side is still pretty great though, I loved the way the different strands came together at the end.

Possible spoilers:

That's the way I see it too. Rather than focus on lots of clever twists to solve a case, they are making the episode's main plot revolve around events which are more to show Sherlock's character development and make the cases a bit more secondary.
This episode was a weird one. It was only when they started bringing the flashbacks together into the present that I suddenly went "oh, actually, this is a really good episode!", prior to that I was just going "not another bloody unresolved flashback!?"
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »
Sucks that there's only one more episode. I hope they've filmed enough for two series and there's another later in the year.

Edit : They must have because they hinted at the new Villain in The Empty Hearse and there is only one episode left to give him a complete arc.

I'm guessing / hoping that episode 3 will introduce the new villain and then they will advertise Series 4 will arrive later in the year.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:55:30 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2014, 10:07:07 PM »
There will be a series four, but they haven't even started production on it, so don't hold your breath waiting.

Tonight's episode was amazing, even if it took almost all of it for everything to snap together, but when it did goddamn did it get GOOD. It's more character focused this year and feels a little different than the other two series-I have the feeling Moffat was involved a little less in this one, what with the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who and Matt Smith's departure-but it's still really damn good. I just hate that it blows in and is gone in so short a time and then we have to wait a couple of years for the next three!
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2014, 07:44:26 AM »
3 episodes is a ridiculously short series. Even if they are 90 minutes each.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2014, 08:23:39 AM »
Eh, I think of them more like movies than episodes anyway, given that they're 90 minutes long. In which case, three movies in two years is pretty good going.

Even treating them as episodes it's the equivalent of 6 regular-length episodes, which is about right for a mini-series.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »
Yeah, the second episode was more hilarious, than dramatic. I think they left most of dramatic stuff for the final one, so I don't mind.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline sueño

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2014, 02:17:12 PM »
Great episode last night!  So much detail -- I need to watch it again.

3 episodes is a ridiculously short series. Even if they are 90 minutes each.

THIS!!!  It's the only bad thing about this series.  I could happily watch it every week indefinitely!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »
It only started Last Wednesday for goodness sake and it's OVER on Sunday :emo:

I don't see why they can't have them in 45min episodes. One a week.

Then the series would last a month and a half and not a week and a bit...

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2014, 04:26:48 PM »
Eh, I think it's just a matter of how you look at them, like Rich said.  If you look at it as a television series, yeah, it seems short.  But if you look at the episodes as mini movies instead, you're getting a whole trilogy in the space of a couple weeks, and that's pretty dang cool. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa