Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 36860 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Re: Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 08:36:24 PM »
This show is fantastic. Finally got around to watching it, and man, it's amazing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 03:56:00 AM »
This show is fantastic. Finally got around to watching it, and man, it's amazing.

Just recently wathced it and yes, it is very interesting. The only thing I still have a hard time liking is the fact that SH is so good at fighting but at least it's not as bad in the recent movies.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »
 :heart :heart :heart

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 04:25:16 AM »
the wife and i watched it for the first time last night and were very pleasantly surprised at how good it was!! we are looking forward to another one tonight :-)
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »
pretty awesome take on baskerville last night. i really enjoyed the classic.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Millais

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »
yeah, not quite as good as last weeks but that's due to the fact that last weeks was absolutely incredible/best tv i've seen in years and the fact that the original story must have been quite hard to translate to a modern version of it.

Offline jag66

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »
Never saw series 1 but this is stellar stuff. Will have to go back at watch S1 now..

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 08:31:16 PM »
Just got caught up with the second series, and I have to say that "A Scandal in Belgravia" is my favorite episode so far. It just shows another side of Sherlock that never really comes out, and when Mrs. Hudson gets attacked he just goes into super bad ass mode and effs that dude up.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »
Wouldn't read any further if you haven't watched the very last episode. Here you go, here's a nice picture, so you can click the "back" button without accidentally glancing at the rest of my post.

So - have we all worked out what happened yet?!

My theory hinges on my favourite coroner, the homeless network, and the way a certain character faked her own death in episode 1...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:12:35 PM by robwebster »

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2012, 08:03:44 PM »
I don't know quite how to feel after that episode.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »
God damn that was good.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »
I think "holy fuck" about covers my reaction to that episode.

Christ what a good show.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2012, 11:26:49 PM »
Waiting for the 3 episodes to release in the US, don't want to watch then wait!

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2012, 11:27:22 PM »
Waiting for the 3 episodes to release in the US, don't want to watch then wait! Not going to download either.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2012, 12:06:47 PM »
You have to wait until May then.  :'(

Man, that was great.

SPOILERS

So many things that might helped him. Was Moriarty in on it? He did copy Sherlock's appearance before. Adler? They've had experience faking deaths. Homeless network? Obviously Molly has to be involved because Sherlock needed her. And for some reason I feel like the biker that knocked down John at the end is significant as well.

I guess we'll know in time whether Moffat can redeem himself in how he gets around a main character's death. (Yeah, I wasn't too impressed by that DW finale)

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »
To be fair, I assume how he faked it has already been established, so I'm not sure how much Moffat will really have to do with that besides revealing it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »
I thought the same was with Doctor Who. All the pieces were there. He just revealed it.

Edit: Wait I forgot that we saw 11 die in the first episode--if that has significance to what you're talking about.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
The difference is Moffat also wrote all those pieces being laid out. Steven Thompson wrote this episode.

My point is, I doubt he has as much creative control over the death as he did with DW.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »
Ah, okay. Good point.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2012, 12:50:20 PM »
The difference is Moffat also wrote all those pieces being laid out. Steven Thompson wrote this episode.

My point is, I doubt he has as much creative control over the death as he did with DW.
His responsibility's shared with Gatiss, (supposedly this is in part to help train Gatiss up should Moffat leave the Doctor Who post) but they'll have very much told Stephen Thompson precisely where they wanted the characters to end up. They wouldn't let their only guest writer define such a gamechanging story-arc by himself. Thompson's probably the one who made it brilliant, with Pentonville and the crown jewels and Rich Brook, but the outcome of the narrative - the places Holmes, Watson and Moriarty end up - will, I'd presume, have been given to him.

He'd certainly be working to a brief, at the very least.

I'm being careful not to downplay Thompson's contribution, here, of course. The Blind Banker was my least favourite Sherlock ep (albeit still good!), and The Curse of the Black Spot was in the lower half of Doctor Who (albeit still good!), so I am absolutely overjoyed that he's pulled out a blinder. Stunned by his work, I think he's fantastic, and I am really excited to see more of his work, and preferably as soon as possible. But he's not even the showrunner, so the last draft may have even been Moffat's or Gatiss's. Rewrites from a head writer are the rule, rather than the exception.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »
MEGASPOILY SPECULATION AHOY

Man, that was great.

SPOILERS

So many things that might helped him. Was Moriarty in on it? He did copy Sherlock's appearance before. Adler? They've had experience faking deaths. Homeless network? Obviously Molly has to be involved because Sherlock needed her. And for some reason I feel like the biker that knocked down John at the end is significant as well.

I guess we'll know in time whether Moffat can redeem himself in how he gets around a main character's death. (Yeah, I wasn't too impressed by that DW finale)
Well!

Molly's the lady of the morgue, and she knew Sherlock, so she'd be able to identify his corpse, no questions asked. Or, if necessary, misidentify it. Likewise, when Watson was knocked down, it was to prevent him from getting a clear look. He was concussed, unable to see anything other than what he was expecting to see. Plus, to give it context, they were standing on top of the pathology building. He could've been making who knows how many phone calls as he went, and a van went past as he fell.

It's not a perfect explanation, but I feel everything's been seeded. And there's a sort of poetry to it, 'cos when Moriarty listed Sherlock's three friends, he missed out Molly. Who I kind of love a bit of a lot. She even out-Sherlocked Sherlock, a little bit, this time round. Here and there.

It's the kind of stunt that seems impossible at first glance, so you get the shock of seeing Sherlock there (although I will admit... I was half-expecting it!) but I think we were meant to be able to "get" it, once the credits had rolled. How rubbish would it be if we spent the next year and a half thinking "That last Sherlock was bullshit." I think we're meant to have worked that one out.

Offline Millais

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2012, 01:04:57 PM »
incredible episode. I realise people the US haven't seen it yet so I'll post my solutions to what I think may have actually happened at the end here, HUGE spoiler alert so don't read from here on if you want to save it for later ..and please do, it's certainly worth the wait:

1) Somehow Sherlock knew that Moriarty was trying to get him to jump so he arranged for a truck to be at the bottom. The first time when he leaned over the edge it hadn't arrived yet which is why he stalled and went back down. The second time he went up it had arrived and he jumped and landed in all the rubbish bins in the back of that. John couldn't see that because Sherlock was so specific about where he wanted to him to stand so he didn't have the full field of view - John was then hit by the cyclist, making him lose vision of the truck for a few seconds. Sherlock then jumped down off the truck and lay dead in fake blood as the crowd surrounded him. Molly, who was earlier asked by Sherlock to do a favour for him, faked his death because "DNA Tests are only as good as the records you keep".

2) There is also another person that looks like Sherlock - we know this because earlier in the episode the little girl screamed as soon as Sherlock walked into the room. So there's a face identical to him - Moriarty probably paid a plastic surgeon to create a replica of Sherlock's face and so the body that flew off the building was Moriarty with a mask of Sherlock on. Again, the bike hitting John blurred his vision and subsequently he didn't capture the moments after.

not exactly sure though, option one seems much more plausible. either way, series 3 is too far away!

Offline jag66

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »
Just watched it.. quality stuff. Some nice deductions in the spoilers there  :tup

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »

Man, that was great.

SPOILERS

Well!

Molly's the lady of the morgue, and she knew Sherlock, so she'd be able to identify his corpse, no questions asked. Or, if necessary, misidentify it. Likewise, when Watson was knocked down, it was to prevent him from getting a clear look. He was concussed, unable to see anything other than what he was expecting to see. Plus, to give it context, they were standing on top of the pathology building. He could've been making who knows how many phone calls as he went, and a van went past as he fell.

My thoughts exactly.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2012, 08:15:12 AM »

Man, that was great.

SPOILERS

Well!

My thoughts exactly.

+1 here

This is a tremendous show really.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2012, 07:49:38 PM »
THAT ENDING OH MY GOSH. One of the most emotional things I've seen, geez. I really want Sherlock to get his name cleared, though, I hate the world thinking that he was a fraud who killed himself...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »
Finally caught up.

That was bloody brilliant.

The writers are such teases though - and I agree with Rob that Thompson did a really stellar job with this episode, but that ending had Moffat written ALL over it!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2012, 08:49:39 PM »
My guess is they used the dummy we saw earlier in the episode to throw him off the roof and used the cyclist to distract watson so he doesnt end up finding out and getting himself killed. the pathology girl obviously arranged for the heart stopping drugs, blood etc. to do the same stuff done in teh movies ala time delayed death trick. i can't believe moriarti would be dead either, i'm guessing that's a fake and he knows what holmes did and will come back to taunt him about it.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2012, 09:47:53 PM »
I bet that Moriarty was in on it. After all, he owed Sherlock.

Offline Millais

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2012, 09:46:29 AM »
could the title of this thread be changed to 'Sherlock' as opposed to 'Sherlock Holmes'  :blush :blush

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2012, 07:36:33 PM »
Two things that have been mentioned by the creators (spoilers, don't scroll down if you haven't seen the finale):

-The show probably won't air again until early 2013 (“@Sherlockology: @Steven_Moffat was misquoted in The Guardian, no new #Sherlock until 2013 at the earliest” )

-That most of the deductions about how Sherlock survived were missing one vital clue, something that was completely out of character for Sherlock.
(“We’ve all worked out exactly how Sherlock Holmes survived at the end of the series finale, right? WRONG.
At our exclusive Radio Times covers party last night, co-creator Steven Moffat said there’s something in Sunday night’s episode, The Reichenbach Fall, which everyone has overlooked.
Moffat admitted he had been following the fevered speculation about how Sherlock, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, could appear alive and well in the last scene of the episode, despite having apparently fallen to his death and, indeed, been buried. But according to Moffat, all the fans’ talk of switched corpses and mystery cyclists has been lacking a crucial detail.
“I’ve been online and looked at all the theories,” Moffat told us, “and there’s one clue that everyone’s missed. It’s something that Sherlock did that was very out of character, but which nobody has picked up on.”
What does he mean? Of course we tried to convince him - and fellow Sherlock creator Mark Gatiss, who also attended the party - to elaborate, but Moffat merely smiled and said that was all we were getting!
Over to you…”

-Steven Moffat for Radio Times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2012, 10:05:46 PM »

Just watched the first episode, and came here to post exactly that. Big Sherlockian here, and that did not disappoint! Can't wait to watch more!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2012, 12:28:48 AM »
I was bored the other night with a friend, so I made this in the snow on campus. It kind of sucks, but it was a first attempt.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2012, 12:32:50 AM »
Should've been on BBC America sucks I gotta wait this long.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2012, 03:09:56 PM »
Saw this on campus: