Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 37325 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #315 on: January 01, 2017, 06:53:20 PM »
TONIGHT!!!!! :metal   :metal
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: January 02, 2017, 08:20:24 PM »
Liked the episode.....curious that they didn't really expand on Moriarty any further and stuck to a 'normal' story. Sure the end was a bit unexpected but I had a hunch the whole time she was gonna die due to the amount of times Sherlock guaranteed her safety. It was real thick foreshadowing. And As much as i like the show I'm not a fan of yet another instance of John being mad at Sherlock. Seems played already and was it really his fault?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: January 02, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »
I kind of agree with that. Also, just the way the show is written, I find it very hard to have a strong emotional reaction to anything that happens, because hell, how am I supposed to know if anybody's really dead anyway?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: January 02, 2017, 11:00:54 PM »
I kind of agree with that. Also, just the way the show is written, I find it very hard to have a strong emotional reaction to anything that happens, because hell, how am I supposed to know if anybody's really dead anyway?

Just read an interview where the show runners were asked point blank if we were being mislead with her death and they said no. She is dead, for real, for good. That she died in the original stories and the show has always tried to stay true to the source material and that this show is about Sherlock and Holmes.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #319 on: January 03, 2017, 01:01:37 AM »
Sherlock and Holmes.

But yeah, I hope she's dead for real, and am glad if they're telling the truth with that.

Also, I really liked the episode, classic Sherlock and I always enjoy watching these characters do anything.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #320 on: January 04, 2017, 08:12:33 AM »
Great episode.  Really shocking ending that brought my daughter to tears.  :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: January 04, 2017, 08:36:20 AM »
Sherlock and Holmes.

But yeah, I hope she's dead for real, and am glad if they're telling the truth with that.

Also, I really liked the episode, classic Sherlock and I always enjoy watching these characters do anything.

:lol   just realized what I did there.....anyway....Watson...Holmes....Whatever    :lol

Great episode.  Really shocking ending that brought my daughter to tears.  :metal

Hef, did you have the feeling the whole time something like that was going to happen due to the heavy foreshadowing? Although it was shocking, I feel like I was completely 'ready' for it just because of the amount of times Sherlock guaranteed her safety in that episode.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #322 on: January 04, 2017, 08:55:56 AM »
Nope.  They totally got me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #323 on: January 04, 2017, 09:38:08 AM »
There was some serious bullet time going on from Mary.
Episode was pretty messy I thought.  Toby Jones is coming soon so hopefully it'll pick up.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #324 on: January 04, 2017, 01:38:24 PM »
I think it was a really fun and cool episode, it really surprised me to see that IGN only gave it 5.5/10, which is crazy to me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: January 08, 2017, 05:03:25 PM »
I only just saw episode 1 so I already knew from online what happened but i'm not massively invested in the show so i don't care. I just watch it.

I hope Toby Jones character is better than Charles Augustus Magunsson. ( CAM - YOU GET IT ? HE HAS A PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY )

" My memory is my mind palace "

::) Oh no. Just shoot him in the head....

*Sherlock shoots him in the head*

I mean...If all your evidence for blackmail are only your memories - how is that proof ?

I finally found an official Sherlock channel on YouTube where I could purchase the 3 episodes for £7.

I'd rather pay than download illegally OR pay £150 for a TV License when I don't own a TV...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:09:34 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: January 08, 2017, 05:23:56 PM »
All that sounded really negative. Wasn't meant to.

It was a decent episode, Mid Tier i'd say. It was no Reichenbach falls but it wasn't The Blind banker either ;)

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: January 08, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »

It was a decent episode, Mid Tier i'd say. It was no Reichenbach falls but it wasn't The Blind banker either ;)

Yep. It wasn't the best or the worst. It was just a really good episode. The only thing that detracted from it for me was that I had (correctly) speculated to myself around the time they all were in That Middle Eastern apartment (Iran?) and Sherlock said he needed to get her on his turf to protect her that Mary was going to certainly die....so when she did I wasn't floored by it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #328 on: January 08, 2017, 07:31:30 PM »
What a bizarre episode so far.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: January 08, 2017, 10:35:57 PM »
What a bizarre episode so far.

No kidding! What a ride that was. I liked it a lot but man, that was all over the place....then the last five minutes? WTF? Is the 'miss me' from Sherlocks long lost sister supposed to imply she's in cahoots with Moriarty....or was....and now is just taking up the torch?

There was a whole lot going on there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: January 09, 2017, 05:21:05 AM »
When Sherlock was wandering around London - I thought - Oh is he spelling out fuck off ?

...yep. :p

Bit of Trainspotting in episode 2 also.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: January 09, 2017, 06:22:20 AM »
Good episode #2. Bit of an info-dump at the end. I'll need to rewatch it.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »

Yep. It wasn't the best or the worst. It was just a really good episode. The only thing that detracted from it for me was that I had (correctly) speculated to myself around the time they all were in That Middle Eastern apartment (Iran?) and Sherlock said he needed to get her on his turf to protect her that Mary was going to certainly die....so when she did I wasn't floored by it.

Well, that and the fact that she dies in the books. So I certainly wasn't shocked by it, but the way it was done was still thrilling and pretty intense.

Second episode was bonkers, and brilliant. Loved the way they did a bit of a Mr Robot, showing most of it from Sherlock's perspective so you couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2017, 12:50:49 PM »
So ...*someone* put "Euros Holmes" in touch with Culverton Smith... Who gave her Faith's original note - she added stuff to it to fool Sherlock..

...then she turned up at 221B pretending to be the real Faith in order to get Sherlock interested in Culverton ?

Then Culverton invited Sherlock & Watson to look around the hospital in order to present the actual Faith to humiliate Sherlock ?

Meanwhile - on a DVD - Mary had implored Sherlock to save John Watson by deliberately using again and placing himself in harms way so that John would be there for him

when he needed it the most?

Why was Euros Holmes also pretending to be the therapist ?

*sidebar - I thought Eros meant love - which would also tie in with last weeks episode with Norberry (?) being Amo. Maybe she put Euros Holmes in touch with Culverton ?

Maybe we'll find out - maybe we won't ::)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:55:52 PM by Kotowboy »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »

Well, that and the fact that she dies in the books. So I certainly wasn't shocked by it, but the way it was done was still thrilling and pretty intense.

Second episode was bonkers, and brilliant. Loved the way they did a bit of a Mr Robot, showing most of it from Sherlock's perspective so you couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't.

I hate to admit I've never read the source material..... :omg:.....so I had no idea Mary died.

and yes...the manner in which the episode was shot was really neat and intense. And the make-up department did a spot on job showing a strung out Sherlock. when he was at that hospital in front of the kids...man, he looked like  :censored   

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #335 on: January 10, 2017, 01:05:58 AM »
Great episode. The ending especially, great reveal.

A really nasty villain too.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #336 on: January 10, 2017, 01:29:35 AM »
Thought it was rubbish, but entertaining rubbish.  Nothing made sense at all.
Mary leaving Sherlock a video is weird enough.
Mary leaving Sherlock a video telling him to save Watson is TV lala land.
Mary leaving Sherlock a video telling him to save Watson by putting himself in danger is pure WTF...

We have also got Watson imagining his dead wife and having conversations with her -  :biggrin:

It's like Moffats channelling his Doctor Who writing (which is supposed to be outlandish) into Sherlock now.  ('MISS ME' is bound to be linked somehow - initial's maybe?)

I'm honestly expecting a forth sibling to turn up next week (why does everyone stop at three?).  Watson to be dead but Sherlock having conversations with him and maybe a flying car.

What i'm not expecting is an actual mystery to solve, Sherlock doesn't seem to do that anymore!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:00:27 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: January 10, 2017, 10:09:48 AM »
This thread is deader than John Watson's dead wife Mary.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: January 10, 2017, 10:15:21 AM »
This thread is deader than John Watson's dead wife Mary.

how so?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: January 10, 2017, 10:17:32 AM »
Two posts since monday

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #340 on: January 10, 2017, 10:37:05 AM »
The two year gaps between series really kills part of the show IMO. Even with the recaps and such I've almost completely wiped the original viewing of even series 3 from my memory because of how long ago I watched it so it's partially a relearning process with the flashbacks and references to past episodes. I had to ask a coworker who the woman at the end of this last episode was because clearly it was supposed to be a big reveal but I was drawing a blank since it's been years since I saw that episode.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: January 10, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »
I'm honestly expecting a forth sibling to turn up next week (why does everyone stop at three?).  Watson to be dead but Sherlock having conversations with him and maybe a flying car.

:rollin

You know, I actually kinda agree with soupytwist. I did like when they did an international politics/terrorism episode with S2E1, but then we had more international politics, secret agents and all in S3 and S4E1. They did it once and it worked big time, but they kept delving into it, and I just don't think it works anymore. I also think the show got too much into personal drama between John, Sherlock and (now dead) Mary—and with introduction of Holmes sister I think the personal aspect is going to be developed even further)—while neglecting the aspect which I loved most about this show, which is Sherlock displaying actual cunning and detective skills and solving actual cases.

I know that me not liking Mary's character at all didn't help the situation, but now that she was dead, I kind of expected the show to maybe get back on the level of S1/S2, and it didn't happen for me with this episode. I never thought I would say it after waiting for S3 so eagerly, but I think the show has become a bit tiresome for me. It's still entertaining, but it's not something I would recommend my friends anymore, nor it's something I'll go out of my way to watch by any means.

I frankly think The Blind Banker is the worst episode out of first six, but I'd gladly take another Blind Banker over latest episode.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: January 10, 2017, 10:42:00 AM »
The two year gaps between series really kills part of the show IMO. Even with the recaps and such I've almost completely wiped the original viewing of even series 3 from my memory because of how long ago I watched it so it's partially a relearning process with the flashbacks and references to past episodes. I had to ask a coworker who the woman at the end of this last episode was because clearly it was supposed to be a big reveal but I was drawing a blank since it's been years since I saw that episode.

Pretty sure this series is the first time we've been introduced to Sherlock's sister.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #343 on: January 10, 2017, 11:20:26 AM »
Two posts since monday
It's only Tuesday. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: January 10, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
Oh right I forgot about you 4th dimensional morons.

As you were.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »
I thought the episode was fantastic.  Can't wait to see how it plays out this weekend, on what may very well be the final episode ever.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: January 10, 2017, 12:38:01 PM »
I heard they'd written a 5th series so who knows.

And i'm sure they'll sneak in christmas specials and one-offs if not.

I didn't really like Culverton Smith. I thought he was less menacing than Magnusson - who was just a a dick because he knew stuff.

Once you know that his memory is his weapon - just shoot him in the head - which Sherlock did.

Also - there's no way a court could ever convict someone based on Photographic memory.

Exhibit A.."  This woman stole plans for Trident..."

I assume you have proof, Mr. Magnusson

" Ohhhhhh yes. "

*taps head*

CASE DISMISSED ! ::)

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #347 on: January 11, 2017, 12:44:15 AM »
Also - there's no way a court could ever convict someone based on Photographic memory.

He said he could send for physical evidence if he needed to.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: January 11, 2017, 02:53:11 AM »
I'm sure there was an exchange which was something like..

So it's all in your head ? Nowhere else ?

No nowhere else.

I'll re-watch it and check.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #349 on: January 11, 2017, 03:54:50 AM »
This is the quote:

MAGNUSSEN: Oh, sometimes I send out for something ... (he lifts his left hand and looks down at his watch) ... if I really need it ...