Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 37330 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2015, 01:39:59 PM »
I'm always in favor of more Moriarty. And I would have assumed that it was fake if they had not shown that 'miss me?' bit after the credits. That, for me, was kinda confirmation that it was actually him.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2015, 01:43:25 PM »
Moriarty is amazing, so I really have no problem with him coming back.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »
Moriarty is amazing, so I really have no problem with him coming back.

Am I late to the party with the theory that Moriarty is actually another brother of Sherlock? Has that been discussed or offered up? It just seems as if they've hinted at it here and there. Not like they were close growing up but like they always knew there was a brother out there.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2015, 01:10:11 AM »
Yeah I have heard that theory before. From Mycrofts line "you know what happened to the other one" and how mind-palace-Moriarty phrased "mommy and daddy will cry". I would say that it's possible, but I'm not really an active supporter of the theory.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2015, 07:11:54 AM »
Wouldn't Sherlock acknowledge him as such though?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #215 on: March 20, 2015, 07:19:48 AM »
OK, I'm way behind the times, but my daughter and I just finished the first season.  Great, great stuff.  Cumberbatch and Freeman are amazing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2015, 07:27:53 AM »
OK, I'm way behind the times, but my daughter and I just finished the first season.  Great, great stuff.  Cumberbatch and Freeman are amazing.
Awesome, welcome to the club! Second season is even better in my opinion, enjoy!

Yeah I don't see how that would make any sense. I've heard the theory before, but it wouldn't fit at all in my opinion.

I think what the show does brilliantly is that big twists and reveals make sense. It's not that they make you think "oh I should have spotted that" but they definitely feel sensible. Moriarty being Sherlock and Mycroft's brother just wouldn't fit well with that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #217 on: March 20, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »
Awesome, welcome to the club! Second season is even better in my opinion, enjoy!

Yeah, Season 2 is even better than the Season 1 (mainly because it doesn't have The Blind Banker, even though the middle story is, once again, the weakest of the three) - A Scandal in Belgravia and The Reichenbach Fall are two of the best episodes of anything, ever.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: March 20, 2015, 10:13:48 AM »

That's why I'm curious as to if it were a case of a half brother or just his parents giving him up or something? It's a long shot and for the show....almost too easy of a 'twist' to even be an option. It felt like that's where they were headed though for a bit to me.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: March 20, 2015, 12:18:56 PM »

Yeah, Season 2 is even better than the Season 1 (mainly because it doesn't have The Blind Banker, even though the middle story is, once again, the weakest of the three) - A Scandal in Belgravia and The Reichenbach Fall are two of the best episodes of anything, ever.

The Blind Banker is definitely the weakest from S1, but it's a good action-packed episode. I think I like it more than The Hounds of Baskerville.

I would say S1 and S2 are pretty even, maybe S2 is a bit better because of the third episode. I agree with you about A Scandal in Belgravia, best television I've ever seen, but A Study in Pink is incredibly awesome too; The Reichenbach Fall is merely good, however, compared to The Great Game, it's just superior. The Great Game's ending is just awful, I think.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #220 on: March 20, 2015, 12:50:35 PM »
... I have no words. That climax of The Great Game - how can you not like that? ???

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: March 20, 2015, 12:52:20 PM »
Well, it's cheesy and forced as hell. Everything in this episode was good until the pool scene came in.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: March 20, 2015, 01:36:11 PM »
The Final Episode of Series 3 with the German memory master..

As soon as he said his vault was in his mind I was like " oh - just shoot him then ".

And they did :p

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
The Final Episode of Series 3 with the German memory master..

As soon as he said his vault was in his mind I was like " oh - just shoot him then ".

And they did :p

Yeah, that was basically my thought as well.

I guess he's Swedish though.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2015, 01:50:42 PM »
Well, I like it. Both The Great Game and His Last Vow are pretty dang awesome in my opinion.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2015, 01:52:54 PM »
I don't have a criticism on any episode. I find the entire series has been nothing but awesome!!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #226 on: March 20, 2015, 01:58:06 PM »
I wouldn't go quite that far. The Blind Banker is pretty subpar and The Empty Hearse has some really wonky pacing, but yeah, on the whole, Sherlock is pretty dang amazing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #227 on: March 20, 2015, 01:59:32 PM »
I don't have a criticism on any episode. I find the entire series has been nothing but awesome!!
Basically this. Blind Banker definitely the weakest but it still has a ton of terrific stuff in it. The rest has just been brilliant IMO, particularly the season finales.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: March 20, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »
I wouldn't go quite that far. The Blind Banker is pretty subpar and The Empty Hearse has some really wonky pacing, but yeah, on the whole, Sherlock is pretty dang amazing.

When compared to what's available to watch on Television....I think this show is in the top percentile of 'must see'. Like any show sure it's had some great moments and some 'down' moments.....but all in all it's well written and the acting is top notch.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2015, 02:10:00 PM »
It's been interesting watching this with my daughter.  She just likes the show, but I've actually read all of the original SH stories and novels, so she is constantly asking me to compare the two, or asking if something is legit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2015, 02:17:51 PM »
It's been interesting watching this with my daughter.  She just likes the show, but I've actually read all of the original SH stories and novels, so she is constantly asking me to compare the two, or asking if something is legit.

I've never read any of the original material either.....which makes it all new to me. I know Cumberbatch is an actor and he's paid to act and all of that.....but his depiction of Sherlock is great! I can't imagine having to learn the lines he has to learn and deliver them in the manner in which he delivers them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2015, 02:26:27 PM »
He's fantastic.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »
Ha, I'm totally the opposite, I've read all the original material some years ago, and that's why I'm actually so fascinated by this series. Those are some brilliant modern adaptation for sure.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2015, 02:50:47 AM »
Personally, I think Baskerville is the weakest (or the least strong) episode. The Blind Banker isn't at all my favorite, but it has some moments I really enjoy. More so than Baskerville.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2015, 05:17:07 AM »
Baskerville had some fantastic stuff as well. Two in particular - Sherlock doubting whether he can believe the evidence of his own eyes, and Watson in the dark in the complex (I'm not going into too much detail here because SPOILERS for hef who hasn't got that far yet).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2015, 05:18:33 AM »
Thanks, buddy.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2015, 08:46:36 AM »
I just started watching this show and I'm 5 episodes in (so almost done with the second season). I'm loving it! Could not stop watching- got through the first season in one night. My only complaint so far is this Moriarty dude- I don't find him very convincing as somebody I should be afraid of. Seems like you guys like him, so maybe there's a good reason for that later in the series, but when he was first introduced as himself in the pool scene I was like "Really? This is the mastermind behind all this?" *shrug*
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2015, 08:50:12 AM »
Moriarty is awesome.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »
I'm kind of with Jackie on this. He doesn't have any unique defining features as a villain and just kind of comes across as just a typical psychotic guy. He's passable but boring.

Online faizoff

« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2015, 09:32:06 AM »
Freaking love this show and season 4 can't come soon enough.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #240 on: April 24, 2015, 10:42:37 AM »
I just started watching this show and I'm 5 episodes in (so almost done with the second season). I'm loving it! Could not stop watching- got through the first season in one night. My only complaint so far is this Moriarty dude- I don't find him very convincing as somebody I should be afraid of. Seems like you guys like him, so maybe there's a good reason for that later in the series, but when he was first introduced as himself in the pool scene I was like "Really? This is the mastermind behind all this?" *shrug*

The Season 2 finale is basically Moriarty at his very best. Now, I loved in in the Season 1 finale too so your mileage may vary, but don't write him off just yet.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »

The Season 2 finale is basically Moriarty at his very best. Now, I loved in in the Season 1 finale too so your mileage may vary, but don't write him off just yet.

Yeah....his sinisterness (yeah, that's a word apparently) just continues to build as his character's presence increases

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: April 24, 2015, 11:18:50 AM »
I'm kind of with Jackie on this. He doesn't have any unique defining features as a villain and just kind of comes across as just a typical psychotic guy. He's passable but boring.

I agree. I never liked Moriarty in this series, though I admit in S2E3 he was quite good. I dunno, I always pictured Moriarty as more serious and somber guy. I love how Moffat and Gatiss deviate from books in their plots, I love how they've made those series more modern, but I hate their choices about Moriarty. One of the few gripes I have with these series.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: April 24, 2015, 11:39:21 AM »
It took a little while for me to accept this take on Moriarty. The one in the RDJ movie is easier to handle, since it's pretty much exactly how one would picture him. But over the years I have come to absolutely love the series Moriarty, and I way prefer him over the more classic one in the movies.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: April 24, 2015, 11:43:34 AM »
This being my only exposure to Moriarty I'm perfectly fine with this interpretation of him. Just odd and frail looking enough to be overlooked and underestimated but also seems to be several steps ahead of most everyone when it comes to his intentions.