Author Topic: Planning on Getting a Wii - Suggestions Needed!  (Read 5198 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Planning on Getting a Wii - Suggestions Needed!
« on: May 29, 2011, 12:24:12 PM »
I want to buy a Wii. I have a vague idea of what I need and what games are good, but I'm sure many of you know more about it than me and could help me out (if you don't mind).

What are the best Wii games and what accessories should I buy ASAP? I think the console comes with a controller and nun-chuck, so I'm guessing buying another controller and nun-chuck is a good idea?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Planning on Getting a Wii - Suggestions Needed!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 12:43:23 PM »
Good choice. The Wii kicks serious ass.

Yeah, getting a second controller set wouldn't hurt. I don't have any other accessories besides that. As far as I know, you don't really need anything else. Also keep in mind that a Gamecube controller is compatible with some games (such as Brawl, Goldeneye, etc). Stay away from the Wii Classic Controller.

The only games that I would say are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL are Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Super Smash Bros Brawl. If you don't have those games, there's no point in owning a Wii.

If you really like Galaxy (which you will, it's a masterpiece) get the sequel, Super Mario Galaxy 2. Don't get the second one first, however. There's a bit of a learning curve and I'd say it's much harder than the first one. But it's definitely worth getting after you master the first one. In fact, it's even better. It's just important to go in order. ;)

Other good games: Goldeneye 007, Sonic Colors, Mario Kart Wii (I hesitated to call this essential...I'd say it is, but others may not agree), Donkey Kong Country Returns, and, if you can deal with excessive kiddyness, Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Good luck!
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »
Drew is pretty much spot on. I'd like to add Metroid Prime 3 as well though. Also, definitely get Mario Kart Wii. Loads of fun.

New Super Mario Brothers too. Animal Crossing is a cool time killing game, but can get repetitive and boring fast.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
The fact that you can download a good amount of NES, SNES, and (I think) Gamecube games is more than worth it to buy a Wii. Once I am banking some money I am gonna get one as well. My roommate used to have one.

SSBB was fun, of course. Mario Kart was very nice as well, more challenging than the N64 version. I only played a little tiny bit of SMG, but it was good. I don't doubt Zelda is a good game.

Do they have a Metroid game for the Wii? How is it?

Edit: ZBomber I love you man

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:54:32 PM »
Drew is pretty much spot on. I'd like to add Metroid Prime 3 as well though. Also, definitely get Mario Kart Wii. Loads of fun.

New Super Mario Brothers too. Animal Crossing is a cool time killing game, but can get repetitive and boring fast.

I forgot Metroid Prime 3...but I couldn't personally recommend it since I've never played past the first boss. :lol But I've heard that it's an excellent game. I have a copy; I should really get around to playing it at some point.

New Super Mario Bros is ok, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who just got a Wii. It's fun, but it plays more like a nostalgia trip than an actual game. If that makes any sense. It's just kind of stale.

Also, I'm gonna use this thread to vent my anger about how they'll never make a Star Fox game for the Wii. Seeing as how they're about to announce the Wii's successor at E3, and they're so focused on that pointless Star Fox 64 remake for the 3DS, it just won't happen, and I have to accept that. What the hell, Nintendo. >:( Star Fox is my second favorite Nintendo franchise. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I would gladly play over $100 for a Wii Star Fox game.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 01:12:56 PM »
Star Fox 64 is one of the best games ever.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:13:54 PM »
I agree.

But it doesn't need to be remade.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 01:16:15 PM »
No...but a sequel would be nice. There was nothing on Gamecube for it, right?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 01:17:23 PM »
No...but a sequel would be nice. There was nothing on Gamecube for it, right?
There were 2 Star Fox games on GameCube, but they weren't even close to being as good as SF64.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 01:18:15 PM »
Assault was great. Adventures...meh.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »
Suggestion: Don't get one :neverusethis:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »
Also this.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 01:40:48 PM »
Resident Evil 4

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »
Unlike the PS3, the Wii does have games. So you're set! :neverusethis:
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »

you

you

are a shoe

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 02:27:15 PM »
Unlike the PS3, the Wii does have games. So you're set! :neverusethis:

Pretty well true. You've got your basic Marios, Zeldas, SSBB. And then that's basically it. Then you can get some classic games on the Virtual console and play GameCube games. After that, it's just mountains and mountains of discs filled with the same mini games over and over.

For an equal price, you can purchase a used NES and SNES and continue using your GameCube. All with the added benefit of not owning a Wii.

All you'd really be lacking from this solution is Netflix Support and the Galaxy titles.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 02:30:24 PM »
The Gamecube had a much better library than the Wii, unfortunately.

But

The Wii's blockbuster titles are better than the Gamecube's blockbuster titles. In other words, the Wii has less quality games than the Gamecube, but the Wii has better games. Just not as many.

That's the way I see it, at least.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 02:32:16 PM »
I still have my Gamecube from when I was 16, though I am missing the controllers and the cords for it. :( And no games. Same with my old N64.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 02:33:53 PM »
That sucks. I have about 20 or so Gamecube games collecting dust on my shelf. If I could throw them to you through my monitor, I would.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »
Try it.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 02:36:45 PM »
Well, Luigi's Mansion just hit the monitor and fell to the floor. I thought that one might go through, because you know...Boos can travel through walls and shit.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
:lol Well-played.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 02:39:40 PM »
Metroid Prime was pretty awesome.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 02:52:13 PM »

But

The Wii's blockbuster titles are better than the Gamecube's blockbuster titles. In other words, the Wii has less quality games than the Gamecube, but the Wii has better games. Just not as many.

Honestly, I'd say the only title you're really missing on the Gamecube is Super Mario Galaxy. Though that's a bit of opinion on my part. I preferred Melee greatly over Brawl. I've heard nothing good of Metroid Prime 3 or Other M. On the Gamecube you can get Metroid Prime 1 and 2, and I hear the Wii ports play rather clunky. Gamecube has a Mario Kart and, let's face it, you play one you've played them all. Gamecube also has Twilight Princess, with Link still as a lefty and the map isn't mirrored.

Also, most games that are on multiple platforms, the Wii versions runs like shit. Go on, try playing Force Unleashed for the Wii.

I'd say it's like the Gamecube is like a big bucket of berries. They're all pretty great berries, but they're pretty small. The Wii is a bucket of the same size, but about a quarter full. But the berries are bigger and sweeter. Then the rest of the bucket is filled with a really thick mucky mud that you suspect may also contain some fecal matter.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »

But

I've heard nothing good of Metroid Prime 3
wat

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 02:58:08 PM »
Heard it was pretty shit, especially compared to MP1. Took out a lot of the actual exploration, which is a staple of Metroid, and replaced it with pointless collection. Along with making it much more shooter than anything else. And probably some more things that I can't remember.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »

But

Honestly, I'd say the only title you're really missing on the Gamecube is Super Mario Galaxy. Though that's a bit of opinion on my part. I preferred Melee greatly over Brawl. I've heard nothing good of Metroid Prime 3 or Other M. On the Gamecube you can get Metroid Prime 1 and 2, and I hear the Wii ports play rather clunky. Gamecube has a Mario Kart and, let's face it, you play one you've played them all. Gamecube also has Twilight Princess, with Link still as a lefty and the map isn't mirrored.

Also, most games that are on multiple platforms, the Wii versions runs like shit. Go on, try playing Force Unleashed for the Wii.

I'd say it's like the Gamecube is like a big bucket of berries. They're all pretty great berries, but they're pretty small. The Wii is a bucket of the same size, but about a quarter full. But the berries are bigger and sweeter. Then the rest of the bucket is filled with a really thick mucky mud that you suspect may also contain some fecal matter.

1. I agree with you about Melee. It's better than Brawl, but only slightly. The main clincher for me is that I prefer Melee's stages.

2. Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii can't be compared. In DD you control two characters at once, while the Wii version reverts back to the single character format. It's two completely different playstyles. As much as I loved DD, I prefer the Wii version for that very reason. Although controlling two characters was a pretty cool concept.

3. I have no interest in playing multi-system games on Nintendo systems. I generally stay away from anything that isn't a console exclusive. I know that may seem haughty, and I'm probably missing out on stuff, but I'm a casual gamer. What little time I spend gaming, I'd like to play NINTENDO games. I don't play stuff like Star Wars for the reason you stated. They just don't cross-over well. Usually.

4. Nice analogy. :lol

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 03:14:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm the guy with a PS3, 360, and Gamecube in my room, NES, SNES, and Sega emulators on my computer, and an R4 for my DSi. So we're definitely coming from different points of view on gaming.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
Ah, wow, a Nintendo thread turned into Nintendo bashing. What a surprise.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 03:18:43 PM »
Actually, Madgician doesn't seem to be bashing. He's raising some fair points.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 03:19:56 PM »
I still loves me some Nintendo. I just think the Wii has turned into a bit of a disappointment.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 04:15:53 PM »
Heard it was pretty shit, especially compared to MP1. Took out a lot of the actual exploration, which is a staple of Metroid, and replaced it with pointless collection. Along with making it much more shooter than anything else. And probably some more things that I can't remember.
Meh, I think it's the best of the three and can't really relate to any of those problems. It's more shooter, sure, but not at the cost of other elements.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 04:37:38 PM »
Other way around. Adventures was fun as shit. While I beat assault in a matter of 3 hours and felt like it wasn't even worth the rental price I paid.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 05:32:21 PM »
Other way around. Adventures was fun as shit. While I beat assault in a matter of 3 hours and felt like it wasn't even worth the rental price I paid.
Agreed, Assault was just a lame attempt by Namco to do something a la SF64, but they totally forgot what made SF64 so great!

Adventures, while being anything but a SF game, was fun as hell!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
That sucks. I have about 20 or so Gamecube games collecting dust on my shelf. If I could throw them to you through my monitor, I would.

If you still have your Gamecube controllers you can play them on the Wii.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC