Author Topic: how embarrassing  (Read 3448 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
how embarrassing
« on: May 29, 2011, 06:54:38 AM »
I posted a rant about totalling my ex's car in what I thought was the Angry depressed thread... but in my rage and because my phone is retarded, it got posted in another thread and I cant find it. If anyone does... let me know pleaseeee...

thanks.

and if anyone was wondering what happened... I was out in my ex's car (the only car i drive till i aquire one)... was going through 4 way stop intersection and was hit by an almost 70 yr old woman. I spent the next 10 hours thinking its all my fault... and then i realized that SHE hit Me. not me hit her. the damage to the car shows a side impact... near the front of the car... but still side impact. i still feel guilty as hell... and my ex isnt speaking to me... and I am sore as a fucking pickle...

its amazing to walk away without a scratch. if i would have been going any faster (I was accelerating from a stop...) i would have been hit directly... as in my door... van vs small car... i would have been killed.

ok its 6am and I have been up all night goodnight DTF
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
Re: how embarrassing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 07:05:19 AM »
Whoa, that blows! I hope you're alright!

As I'm sure you know (and the 70 year old woman did not, or has forgotten), with a four way stop sign the right of way goes to the person who stopped first, NOT to the person going straight or turning right.

I often get infuriated with idiots who mosey on up to a 4-way stop near our Walmart, pause briefly, then go straight thru it just because they're going straight. Learn the rules!!
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 07:11:04 AM »
the issue was she wasn't there... like... i looked... the intersection where it happened... i am paranoid about it... because it is a divided road... with bushes... like if she didn't run the sign, she was making a left turn and didnt see me.. she had to rush it or something. Idk. im really shaken up... but in the end, she HIT me... idk. ive been up for 20 hours and am now running on a what little adrenalin i have left in my system and a Vicodin to help me calm down and help with the soreness.  Sleep just wont come to me.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:18:01 AM »
Front driver's side impact? And she made a left to do it? This means you were partway thru the intersection before she began to move past the stop sign.

This means she should've remained at a stop until you cleared the intersection.

I hope the cops got this all square for you guys.. I really do hope you get to sleep soon.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:25:09 AM »
im not sure if she made a left or went straight. The woman didnt speak english and wouldnt talk to me. She didnt even give me her insurance info till a police officer showed up. and the officer really didnt say much. odds are I am going to be put at fault because I have only had my license for like 2 months.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 07:27:20 AM »
im not sure if she made a left or went straight. The woman didnt speak english and wouldnt talk to me. She didnt even give me her insurance info till a police officer showed up. and the officer really didnt say much. odds are I am going to be put at fault because I have only had my license for like 2 months.

Not how it works. Don't worry too much about this right now, the accident was at a four way stop sign so either it'll end up being "no fault" or else they'll be able to easily determine the same thing I just did.

At a four way stop, the person who gets to their stop sign first has the right of way. You got to yours first, obviously, because you were halfway thru the intersection before she got to hers, ran it, and hit you.

You clearly had the right of way, and she did not.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 07:29:28 AM »
She was driving negligently. That will be BS if you get the fault if what you said is what happened.

Edit: Everything Jen is saying is correct.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 07:32:12 AM »
I just hope when my ex's mother gets home today (she has been out of town) she will be merciful... and will see it like it is. physical evidence does not lie.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 07:33:13 AM »
Wow, what are the rules on an intersection America? Here in Belgium you always have to stop if someone's coming from the right, unless it's specifically marked that you're on a priority road.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 07:35:17 AM »
Wow, what are the rules on an intersection America? Here in Belgium you always have to stop if someone's coming from the right, unless it's specifically marked that you're on a priority road.

Like Jen said, whoever gets to their stop sign first goes first. Most of the time people understand this here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »
The fact that she hit you will make it her fault.  That is the way it usually works (which is sometimes unfair, as you can be driving, and if someone suddenly pulls out in front of you, and you hit them, it might be considered your fault because you weren't in control of your car and hit them).  

Also, I still say that when you turn 65, you should have to retake your driver's test every year.  Old people will cry about their freedom being taken away or some other nonsense, but safety is the important issue here.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 08:54:28 AM »
Yes, stop signs are a huge issue in my area.  People just have no clue how they work.  Like Jen said (thank you!!!!), the person who stopped FIRST has the right of way.  I had a woman try to do that to me last week .... I was already stopped at a stop sign for a good five seconds..... this woman in her dumb ass SUV (typical soccer mom who thinks she owns the world) comes flying down the street on the left..... I knew what she was about to do..... she stops for a MILLISECOND (not even), flies through the stop sign..... I floored it just in time to cut her off as she tried to go straight in front of me.  She wasn't happy.  :lol

Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 09:10:26 AM »
Also, I still say that when you turn 65, you should have to retake your driver's test every year.  Old people will cry about their freedom being taken away or some other nonsense, but safety is the important issue here.

I ride my bike to work every day, and one of the most dangerous spots of the commute is the mall parking lot I have to cross. You got these old ladies in fake-wood-paneling cars whose sight and reactions have diminished to the point of a 5-degree angle right in front of them.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »
So in an hour or so I face her mother. I'm scared. Really fucking scared

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 07:41:11 PM »
So in an hour or so I face her mother. I'm scared. Really fucking scared

She has insurance just for these exact reasons, like anyone else.

Yes, it sucks to have an accident. But you didn't get any tickets because it wasn't your fault. The police report will be what their insurance company works with to determine fault. The old lady's insurance should pay to fix your girlfriend's car.

The mother probably will feel least bad if you say that you're very sorry, that you weren't speeding, were wearing your seatbelt, were very cautious of the particular intersection because you're aware it's a bad one, but still there was nothing you could do to avoid it since the woman advanced past her stop sign prematurely (maybe she ran it, maybe she didn't, who knows).

A basic fact of life is that shit happens. Make it obvious that you did everything you could to avoid said shit from happening and the rest will fall into place when the police report gets into her hands.

If you have a copy, bring it. If you don't, maybe you have time to pick one up from the police station.

You'll be fine! You were very nearly broadsided in the driver's side door while YOU were the driver. That could've been a VERY bad situation, but thank God you're completely unharmed and the car has a smashed area that her insurance will pay for. That is a blessing. You're to be congratulated on your fine recovery skills... you clearly handled the car well despite being run into, because you're not telling us you spun the thing around or anything. And you weren't drunk, you didn't run from the police....

it's all as good as it can be, considering. Yes it's an accident, but it wasn't your fault and there is no extra teenage BS to go along with it. That's as much as the woman can ask for.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 12:04:48 AM »
Things are good.  I'm still an emotional wreck. And odds are the its totalled.  My nerves have been keeping me awake. Been awake.since 8 am Saturday and its now 11 pm Sunday.  Sleep? What's that? Lol......

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 03:08:01 AM »
I've neven seen a 4 way stop intersection before :o Sounds dangerous. That really sucks :(

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 06:05:39 AM »
I've neven seen a 4 way stop intersection before :o Sounds dangerous. That really sucks :(

Where do you live? I must go through at least 10 a day, minimum.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 06:16:35 AM »

Just remember "ladies and old people first" and you'll be fine.... cuz regardless of the ACTUAL rules, women and elderly drivers will just do whatever they want, so wait and let them out of your way.

:p

* posted by a woman driver

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 06:29:28 AM »
Honestly, there are only a few around here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 10:20:57 AM »

Just remember "ladies and old people first" and you'll be fine.... cuz regardless of the ACTUAL rules, women and elderly drivers will just do whatever they want, so wait and let them out of your way.

:p

* posted by an elderly woman driver

FTFY
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 10:29:21 AM »
Honestly, there are only a few around here.

Really? They're all over the place here.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 02:36:15 PM »
A thing or two about 4-ways from a fairly aggressive driver.  First and foremost, always look both ways.  No, this one wasn't your fault,  but "I had the right of way!" means precisely jack-shit when you're in the ICU.  It amazes me how many people think that a green light means it's safe to proceed--it doesn't.  The other thing is that you can control how things go by stopping earlier or later as you see fit.  I get really annoyed at those situations where everybody looks at everybody else for a second, then they all decide to try and go, then slam on the brakes, then repeat.  If I'm going to arrive at a stop at the same time as somebody else, I'll either stop short before they get there, or I'll keep rolling very slowly until they come to a stop.  Either way, I make sure there's no question about who stopped first.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 02:41:53 PM »
There is a ton where I live in N.E.  I should go by who comes to the 4 way stop first.  El Barto has it right when he says to look before you leap.  People seem to be more aggressive these days.  Everybody is in a rush.  That's why a driver should always proceed with caution.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 02:49:49 PM »
Her mom took one look at the car and told me I had to have been speeding for that damage. I told her, once again, I was just pulling through an intersection from a stop. I was going under 10 mph. Then she tells me the other driver mus have ran the sign because there is no other way she could have been going that fast from a stop. In my head I'm going "ISNT THAT WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING? ? ?"

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:00:19 PM by JayOctavarium »

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
A thing or two about 4-ways from a fairly aggressive driver.  First and foremost, always look both ways.  No, this one wasn't your fault,  but "I had the right of way!" means precisely jack-shit when you're in the ICU.  It amazes me how many people think that a green light means it's safe to proceed--it doesn't.  The other thing is that you can control how things go by stopping earlier or later as you see fit.  I get really annoyed at those situations where everybody looks at everybody else for a second, then they all decide to try and go, then slam on the brakes, then repeat.  If I'm going to arrive at a stop at the same time as somebody else, I'll either stop short before they get there, or I'll keep rolling very slowly until they come to a stop.  Either way, I make sure there's no question about who stopped first.

This is exactly how I drive. Better safe than sorry. Even if I seem to be alone when stopping, I'm still gonna look, because, well, some people really suck at driving.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »

Technically, in New York, if to people arrive at the same time the one to your right goes first. Regardless, that's some pretty solid advice. I kinda hate four way stops for this very reason. But they're not a big deal. Or at least haven't proven to be one for me yet.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »

Technically, in New York, if to people arrive at the same time the one to your right goes first. Regardless, that's some pretty solid advice. I kinda hate four way stops for this very reason. But they're not a big deal. Or at least haven't proven to be one for me yet.
That's the rule everywhere (I believe).  The problem is that I drive through Highland Park twice a day, where every driver is female, half of them are ancient, and all of them are talking on their phones.  Advancing from the primary who arrived first to the secondary who's on the right is just not going to happen.  Until we have more favorable laws regarding eugenics, it's best to make things simple for them. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »
Motherfucking Roundabouts... that will fix the problem

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 03:50:47 PM »
I hate roundabouts, but mainly because they are rare here in FL (at least where I live).

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »
we have roundabouts here and i like them, the only trouble with them comes before you get to the roundabout when you're surrounded by 50 SUVs desperately trying to pile into the right lane

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 04:01:19 PM »
There's one roundabout here in an area that doesn't get much traffic. It's kinda the shit.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 04:51:42 PM »
I love roundabouts.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 04:53:58 PM »
Roundabouts are great in a less congested area but in heavy driving markets I hate them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 12:03:14 AM »
Have you seen the police report?

If so, which car is listed as vehicle #1?  If it's her, you're in the clear, as it is the officer's opinion that her action caused the accident.

If you're vehicle #1...talk to the officer and try to get him to see it your way.  You DON'T want to be vehicle #1.