Author Topic: Citizens Bank sucks  (Read 1869 times)

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
Citizens Bank sucks
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:13:47 PM »
I don't know if these banks are nationwide or only in the Northeast, but they suck.  I belong to a credit union, but never got an ATM card.  I haven't had the account that long and I keep forgetting to get one.  But, I usually have checks on me, so I can write a check and get cash back if I need it.  Most of the time, I just keep enough money out, though, so I don't have to deal with the check register as much.  

So, today, someone gave me a check.  It was Saturday at 3pm and my bank was closed and, like i said, I don't have an ATM card right now.  So, I went to the bank that the check was written from, which was Citizens Bank.  I said:  "I don't have an account here, but I know you need my license and a finger print," and the guy said, "Yeah, plus it's $7.00 to cash a check if you don't have an account with us."  That set me right off.  I said, "Yeah, that's why I'll never have an account with you people," and another guy who works there goes:  "Every bank does that," and I immdiately cut in and rattled off about ten banks that DON'T charge fees for cashing THEIR OWN DAMN CHECKS!  

So, knowing he couldn't get me with that ridiculous argument, the same guy says:  "Well, if you knew the reason why we do it, you'd understand," and I immediately cut in and said, "I know the reason: the government has shut down your scheme to screw people over with over draft fees and so you're trying to make it up with this."  He kept trying to defend it and I said, "Don't defend it.  IT'S WRONG."  

Knowing they couldn't get away with treating me like an idiot, they cashed the check, minus the seven bucks, and I politely told them to have a nice day and left.  I think charging ANY fee to cash a check at a bank is RIDICULOUS, but .... seven dollars?  I mean, seriously?  Not like ONE dollar?  SEVEN?  
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline slycordinator

Re: Citizens Bank sucks
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:09:03 PM »
They prefer people who cash checks with them to be their own customers because if you cashed a bogus check, they'd have a quick recourse for remedying that (namely, they have access to the rest of your funds). So they put in a system that makes you be pushed towards being a member of their bank in the case you want a check cashed.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:20:42 PM »
It's just another way for them to be greedy.  Tons of other banks don't have the policy. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:28:48 PM »
And tons of banks do.

While I tend to agree with you that $8 per check is pretty excessive, check cashing is still not free for the bank even if you exclude paying the teller.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 04:06:54 AM »
Citizens sucks for many more reasons than this. It is the most mickey mouse, bobby brady, fisher price, micky D's bank I have ever had the displeasure of brushing up against in passing.

The only bank in this tiny town a few years ago, and didn't have an ATM. Not outside. Not inside. Not at all.

WHO THE HECK HAS NO ATM???
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 06:18:23 AM »
That's weird.  I have Citizens and they've been the best bank for me.  Man you need to get a bank card SE.  I never carry cash unless I know I'm going to a place that only takes cash.  It's so much better.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 08:48:51 AM »
Yeah, I switched banks a while back and never asked the new bank to send me an ATM card. 

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 09:57:17 AM »
I used to love my bank. Now... they charge me 2.50 for an ATM withdraw if it's not with them. So thats 2 or 3 dollars that the atm charges me, plus 2.50 so if i need to get 20 bucks out it will cost me 25. GREAT, thanks a lot assholes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 09:22:48 PM »
That's why I never get less than 100 dollars at the ATM, to drop the overall percentage.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 06:33:27 AM »
Join a credit union. I can't even explain the number of reasons why you'll be better off. If elegible, I cannot suggest penfed or usaa or, for the love of God, Navy Federal enough.

But I've spent the past 18 months of my life fighting/learning/obsessing about  credit and related issues, so I won't get started on this here. I'd keep going forever.

~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
Jen, good advice.  I actually belong to a credit union now.  I just have to ask them for an ATM card!  :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 03:06:29 PM »
And tons of banks do.

While I tend to agree with you that $8 per check is pretty excessive, check cashing is still not free for the bank even if you exclude paying the teller.

I could see it if he were cashing some random check, but this was a check drawn on an account from that bank.