Author Topic: Toothache (serious thread)  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Toothache (serious thread)
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:49:22 AM »
A long while back (maybe 8 months ago I think), my tooth partially broke off. It is a tooth on the top, about 5 teeth back.

It never bothered me until two days ago. I went to bite into something that was a bit hard, and I bit on it with the remaining part of the tooth. It felt like someone seriously stuck a knife into my gums. It hurt so bad. It happened again later that day, and now it is just a throbbing pain, bordering on uncomfortable and painful right now.

I have no money and no insurance for a dentist. I wouldn't be able to go to a dentist for at least 5 months to start paying. Anyone have any advice on what to do?

Thank you. :laugh:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Toothache (serious thread)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 09:05:37 AM »
I had a similar issue with a tooth that had recently been filled (after a cavity). Every time I'd bite into anything, it'd hurt like shit. I eventually went back to the dentist, and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. He repeatedly jabbed it with sharp things to get a response, and I didn't feel anything. He attributed it to sensitivity, so I went out and bought some Sensodyne, and now it feels perfectly normal.

So, I'd try that, if it doesn't work within a few weeks, figure out a way to see a dentist.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 09:09:05 AM »
Hmm. This tooth has some of it missing (although you'd barely tell even if I smiled at you).

I'll try the Sensodyne, but will get it later after seeing if anyone else has any recommendations.

Also, obviously not eating sweets or junk like that anymore.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:43:55 AM »
When you light up a nerve pretty good, it'll hurt for a day or two.   Once the pain goes away, just stay off of it as best you can.  If it's causing you pain anytime you eat, then you'll need to find a way to get it taken care of.  It probably only bothers you if you get it real good with something hard, and that you can avoid reasonably well. 

The long term solution will be to get it crowned.  Alas, that's expensive as hell.  The good news is that it has to be done in 3 steps, and depending on how your dentist operates from the billing standpoint, that might work well for you.  The fist step is a temporary crown, which should actually solve your problem and is actually reasonably durable.  You can probably get by for a year easily on a temp.  If your dentist only charges after the entire thing is complete,  you could conceivably get a temp put on and then just never go back.  They might charge in thirds for each step, in which case it would only cost you about 3 bills.  If he insists on the entire amount up front, then find another dentist.  Either way, I'd be looking for a way to at least get the temp put on.  Being scared to eat anything because of possibility of severe pain with every chew is a really shitty way to go through life

I had a similar issue with a tooth that had recently been filled (after a cavity). Every time I'd bite into anything, it'd hurt like shit. I eventually went back to the dentist, and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. He repeatedly jabbed it with sharp things to get a response, and I didn't feel anything. He attributed it to sensitivity, so I went out and bought some Sensodyne, and now it feels perfectly normal.
I had a similar issue a while back and the culprit was actually the tooth above it.  Grinding down the teensiest bit of the upper caused it to stop putting so much pressure on the lower, which alleviated 90% of my problem. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:05:52 AM »
Looking around for dentists, should I call them or go out and visit each place?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:11:52 AM »
Save yourself the gas and just call.

You might want to look into any programs your state has.  My mom works for a dentist in PA, and they get patients from the state assistance agency all the time.  You just graduated college, so it will be obvious that you don't have the financial means to handle it right now.  I know this sentiment will be really unpopular to some of the posters here, but you can probably find a way to have it taken care of at little or no cost to you through the gov't, and the receptionist at the dentist office would probably be willing to help in that matter.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 11:14:32 AM »
If you're the ballsy type, you can probably also get cheaper work done at a dental college. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 11:23:15 AM »
Save yourself the gas and just call.

You might want to look into any programs your state has.  My mom works for a dentist in PA, and they get patients from the state assistance agency all the time.  You just graduated college, so it will be obvious that you don't have the financial means to handle it right now.  I know this sentiment will be really unpopular to some of the posters here, but you can probably find a way to have it taken care of at little or no cost to you through the gov't, and the receptionist at the dentist office would probably be willing to help in that matter.

I haven't graduated yet (not til Fall of this year), but I still don't have the financial means to pay. I wonder if i could still do it.

If you're the ballsy type, you can probably also get cheaper work done at a dental college. 

:lol That could work as well.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 02:17:39 PM »
Bite the bullet and go to the dentist. And then vote for Obamacare at the next election.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 02:19:12 PM »
Bite the bullet
:-X That hurts thinking about it.

The pain is going away a lot today. Hmm....

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 02:21:53 PM »
Dude, trust me, teeth aren't like a sprain that goes away. Either your misery will increase again soon, or your tooth will die off. Those are the options if you don't go.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 02:31:31 PM »
I know...I'll get out to a dentist soon.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 02:36:59 PM »
Could also be an abscessed tooth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abscessed_tooth
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 09:41:12 AM »
Could also be an abscessed tooth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abscessed_tooth

That would suck. I think it's just a nerve though, being exposed from where the tooth split/broke.

Still hurts today after testing it with a chew. Felt fine before that, though. Really felt normal like nothing was wrong. Will go this week to get it looked at and hopefully fixed. Like Barto said, this is no way to live.

My friend told me today about a place right down the street that is cheap and my friend who has a Master's in nursing confirmed it's a great place to go. They do payments on a sliding scale. At this point I am starting to not care. :lol