Author Topic: Germans "rude"?  (Read 5188 times)

Offline AndyDT

Germans "rude"?
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:51:34 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13545386

So Germans don't do small talk? What happens when you have to live with other people eg. as students? Is it just a British thing that you're expected to be chatty and fake?

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Germans "rude"?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 07:07:10 AM »
I think Germans aren't rude. In my experience they are just like the Dutch, formal and to the point.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Unless you're a Jew
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 07:34:31 AM »
They may not be funny, but they're certainly not rude.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:51:41 AM »
You two obviously don't know rumborak.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:08:15 AM »
Interesting assessment and almost certainly true, but I definitely wouldn't consider it rude. 

I didn't notice this anywhere near as much in Germany as I did in New York, although language probably had a lot to do with it.  I felt like the rude one in Berlin, but only because I was relying on the locals to be able to communicate with me.  As a Southerner, I felt terribly out of place in New York.  I couldn't break the habit of saying excuse me or holding a door open for somebody.  Aside from the language thing, I felt like courtesy was a pretty common practice in Germany.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:25:55 AM »
El Barto.  That is so true.  NYC can be so matter of factly that it puts you off but I've heard that about Boston also.  Truth is some places are friendlier than others but there a many exceptions to the rule.  I always think it's people not the area that is rude.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
We just don't do fake interactions, just not our culture. Nothing rude about it I think, it just might look that way for people coming from a culture where that is expected.

I think Germans aren't rude. In my experience they are just like the Dutch, formal and to the point.

Well, the differences between Germans and Dutch are pretty small to begin with :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 09:57:24 AM »
Nothing rude about it I think, it just might look that way for people coming from a culture where that is expected.

That's kind of my take as well.  Culturally, there is just an air of...I'm not sure how to describe it, but to outsiders, especially those in more outwardly gregarious cultures, it can come across as standoffish and cold.  My uncle is an example.  My mom's side of the family are all Jamaican.  Culturally, they are VERY loud, gregarious, and outgoing.  One of her brothers married a German woman.  And while we all love her, it took the rest of the family a long time to warm up to her because, culturally, they perceived her as cold and standoffish.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 10:59:39 AM »
Hey, shut up, strangers! We are NOT rude! Got it?

;)

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »
I don't know about rude, but when I was there LOTS of people gave me dirty looks, that is until I accidentally tucked my Jewish star into my shirt, then they stopped. They resumed of course once I realized I had tucked away, and took it back out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 02:56:14 PM »
??? I thought you said it was your pink triangle.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »

Well, the differences between Germans and Dutch are pretty small to begin with :lol

rumborak

Agree, but don't tell that to the Dutch  :lol. They don't like being compared to Germans.

I remember an American tourist faking interest in the Dutch when I was in Scotland. He said 'You guys speak German right?', must say I was slightly offended  :lol.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 09:48:15 PM »
German's make the best beer around.  They can be as rude(Though their not) at me any time. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 06:09:09 AM »
We just don't do fake interactions, just not our culture. Nothing rude about it I think, it just might look that way for people coming from a culture where that is expected.

Is there a way of breaking awkward silences (politely)?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 06:11:48 AM »
German's make the best beer around.  They can be as rude(Though their not) at me any time. :biggrin:

I want to go to Oktoberfest one day :P

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 04:25:14 PM »
My ancestry is Swedish and German.. my mother was 100% Swedish and my father was mostly German with some Swedish thrown in. I do genealogy research as a hobby and have for about 8 years now, which includes collecting family stories. There was one story about a great aunt or great grandmother of mine who everyone thought was standoffish and stern until they got to know her, and the anecdote ended with something like "it was just the Swedish disposition".

I've been accused of this myself.  :-\

Interesting thread, as I'm also from New York (not city, upstate) and everyplace I travel I marvel at how much friendlier people are ANYPLACE else but here.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 04:47:03 PM »

I don't know, the Belgians give them a pretty good challenge on the beer front.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »

I was thinking that too but 1A or 1B.  I've never say no to either.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 01:28:40 AM »
My ancestry is Swedish and German.. my mother was 100% Swedish and my father was mostly German with some Swedish thrown in. I do genealogy research as a hobby and have for about 8 years now, which includes collecting family stories. There was one story about a great aunt or great grandmother of mine who everyone thought was standoffish and stern until they got to know her, and the anecdote ended with something like "it was just the Swedish disposition".

I've been accused of this myself.  :-\

Interesting thread, as I'm also from New York (not city, upstate) and everyplace I travel I marvel at how much friendlier people are ANYPLACE else but here.
Oh, you're swedish? Yes, we too can be accused of being silent and introvert.

Unless it's graduation time off course. Then it looks like this:

Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 01:23:23 PM »
I went to Germany on a foreign exchange, and I have to completely disagree with this whole thread. I have never met a nicer bunch of people than the Germans, not only the family that I stayed with, but everyone I talked to. All of the students were incredibly nice to me, always smiling, being polite, asking if I was Ok, things like that. The shop keepers lovely as well...

Maybe it helped that I spoke German though >.< Or maybe Herzogenaurach is a strangely nice town ^^
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »
Germans are always courteous, even when they're dropping 48 points on you:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:02:31 PM by contest_sanity »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 02:50:52 PM »
Germans aren't rude. We just have an implicit "or else" at the end of each sentence. We don't say it, but we mean it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »

Belgian beer is best beer.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 03:02:41 PM »
Germans aren't rude. We just have an implicit "or else" at the end of each sentence. We don't say it, but we mean it.

rumborak

:rollin