Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 264763 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: The Mastodon Thread v. The Hunter
« Reply #1260 on: July 06, 2014, 01:44:34 AM »
The more I listen to it, the more I think this album might end up being my album of the year.

Same here. It's my album of the year by this point. I'm hoping for greatness from Opeth and Foo Fighters later in the year, but they have to step up their game to top this.
Same here and I'll throw In Flames in there too, but based on what I've heard so far, it doesn't look good  :(

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. The Hunter
« Reply #1261 on: July 11, 2014, 05:33:19 AM »
This thread needs a name change :P

Offline aprilethereal

Re: The Mastodon Thread v. Once More
« Reply #1262 on: July 11, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »
I would have proposed The Mastodon Thread v. Lightly, but seems like there already is a new title :lol
Mine wasn't really any good anyway. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1263 on: July 12, 2014, 02:19:54 AM »
The Mastodon Thread V. One More Album Before Metallica.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: July 14, 2014, 04:24:53 PM »
Because all English people love ranking :

Remission Vs Kill Em All
Leviathan Vs Ride The Lightning
Blood Mountain Vs Master Of Puppets
Crack The Skye Vs And Justice For All
The Hunter Vs Metallica
Once More Round The Sun VS Load

Bonus :

Jonah Hex EP Vs Beyond Magnetic

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1265 on: July 14, 2014, 04:34:34 PM »
Just check off Mastodon for every one. Love Metallica, but Mastodon are easily a better band imo.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1266 on: July 14, 2014, 04:46:30 PM »
Just check off Mastodon for every one. Love Metallica, but Mastodon are easily a better band imo.

:tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1267 on: July 14, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »
Remission Vs Kill Em All
The Hunter Vs Metallica

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1268 on: July 15, 2014, 01:23:11 AM »
Remission Vs Kill Em All   -  but Remission still needs a lot more listens)
Leviathan Vs Ride The Lightning  -  close one!
The Hunter Vs Metallica  -  close one, The Hunter could overtake Metallica some time

Bonus :

Jonah Hex EP Vs Beyond Magnetic   -  haven't listened to the Jonah Hex EP yet

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: July 15, 2014, 02:25:53 AM »
Remission Vs Kill Em All
The Hunter Vs Metallica

This.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1270 on: July 15, 2014, 04:23:05 AM »
Remission Vs Kill Em All
The Hunter Vs Metallica

Something like that probably. Mastodon has nothing on Metallica's classic three albums, but apart from those three I would say Mastodon have a stronger discography overall.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: July 15, 2014, 04:59:20 AM »
Because all English people love ranking :

Remission Vs Kill Em All
The Hunter Vs Metallica

Bonus :

Jonah Hex EP Vs Beyond Magnetic

Are we voting purely based on personal preference, if so I've boled my choice.  Sun and Load are tied.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1272 on: July 15, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »
Amazingly, my younger brother, who is not much of a metal fan, is nuts about this band, and let me borrow the new CD, which I finally got around to; I liked it.  I like how the metal is not too bone-crushing, but still rocking as hell; it's almost more hard rock with an edge than metal at times.  Will definitely listen more. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1273 on: July 23, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »
Once More finally clicked. Great tune, and I really appreciate their diversity in vocals and focused choruses. Awesome album overall and might end up being my AOTY.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1274 on: July 23, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
It's not my AOTY, but it's definitely a really solid album and I love it.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1275 on: August 18, 2014, 05:00:38 PM »
If you're into this album, you should get the vinyl. The master breathes a lot more and makes all the tracks bang so much harder.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1276 on: August 18, 2014, 05:34:13 PM »
If you're into this album, you should get the vinyl. The master breathes a lot more and makes all the tracks bang so much harder.

I haven't bought the new album yet, but when I do I'm getting the vinyl cause I love the artwork and I'd think that the vinyl master would breathe a lot more compared to the CD. I recently listened to the Remission reissue that just came out recently on Bandcamp. To my ears, there's a bit of subtle difference in that I think that there's a bit more clarity in the guitars and drums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: August 18, 2014, 05:43:39 PM »

I haven't bought the new album yet, but when I do I'm getting the vinyl cause I love the artwork and I'd think that the vinyl master would breathe a lot more compared to the CD. I recently listened to the Remission reissue that just came out recently on Bandcamp. To my ears, there's a bit of subtle difference in that I think that there's a bit more clarity in the guitars and drums.

What are you waiting for, get it!

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1278 on: August 18, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »

What are you waiting for, get it!

Believe me, I would've had a copy of it by now but an outstanding amount of other music (new releases/reissues etc.) and an unscheduled abuse of my wallet/summer savings have been in my way. I'm back to college in two weeks so whatever pocket money I save for the first few days will go towards a copy of the vinyl.  :tup

It's not like I haven't heard the new album yet, either. I've heard it twice, and while it's not going to be my AOTY, it's a strong album and I like it much more than The Hunter and a bit more than Blood Mountain.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1279 on: August 29, 2014, 02:47:16 AM »
A friend of mine lent me OMRTS and I'm glad he did. None of their post-Leviathan albums got anything more than a yawn out of me on first listen and CTS is the only one that grew on me in any real way so I easily could've avoided ever checking this one out. I like what they've done vocally. I just wish it was easier to make out the more intricate guitar parts since they seem to get way buried in the mix at times. Also, Brann's never disappointing but I think his parts have been oversimplified compared to what he's capable of doing. All in all, I like it but the atmosphere feels samey and they're gonna need to be a lot more vocally compelling to make me stop missing the roaring. I still consider the cleans greatly improved but they'd pop a lot more if they weren't saturated in reverb and could play off more roaring for the sake of dynamics.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1280 on: September 03, 2014, 07:12:48 PM »
Feast Your Eyes is perhaps my favorite song from the band, it came on earlier as I was driving home and very frustrated...and it was beautiful. I FUCKING LOVE the vocals these guys can put out, it is by far and away one of the few bands that I really focus and love the vocals, which normally isn't a huge deal or defining factor in me liking a song unless it's just outrageously different (either in a good or bad way). Anyway, I still really love OMRTS and it's no doubt my favorite album by them but this song really puts it leagues ahead of anything else by them.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1281 on: September 05, 2014, 04:43:57 PM »
Start of The Motherload always reminds me of the start of You Not Me.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1282 on: September 05, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »
Less than 24 hours til they rock my tits off.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1283 on: September 06, 2014, 12:53:20 AM »
I totally forgot about Once More untill this thread remind me about it. It's a really good album. From Tread Lightly to Feast your eyes is an amazing album. The others songs didn't clicked for me yet.

Oh, and I Love that Mars Volta vibe in the last song.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1284 on: September 06, 2014, 12:05:06 PM »
The final track, Diamond in the Witch House, is pretty sinister and cool. Try it out.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1285 on: September 06, 2014, 10:33:26 PM »
Fanfuckingtastic show. The openers, Valient Thorr and Death (punk band from the 70s, not the Chuck Schuldiner one) were surprisingly good. VT struck me as a hybrid of neo NWOBHM and 80s hard rock with none of the glam style and their singer was a hilarious and engaging front man. Death is a 3-piece, all-black punk band who are amazingly polished for what you'd expect from a punk band and had good actual singing, excellent harmonies, a few spots of LittleRichardcore falsetto, punk shouts, and excellent rock soloing, groovy bass playing (nice pentatonic fills all over the place), and very good drumming.

Mastodon opened with Tread Lightly and Once More Round the Sun. They also played what's probably my 4 favorite Leviathan tracks, Blood and Thunder, Megalodon, Aqua Dementia, and Hearts Alive. The pit basically lasted the entire show and had far better etiquette than most shows I've moshed at. The only dick was some likely-drunk cunt who thought she'd go kick and shove some dudes while taking advantage of her "I'm a girl" card but she ended up eating pavement most of the night once everyone realized whom the person was that kept blindsiding peeps

All in all, a top 10 show for me and much better than my Crack the Skye show from 2009 since we were 15-20 feet from the stage, dead center, instead of 50 feet away like at the CTS tour.

Also, I randomly bumped into Skydivingninja who is 9 feet tall barefoot and a really cool cat to shoot the shit with.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1286 on: September 06, 2014, 10:52:42 PM »
Valient Thorr was one of the opening bands at the Mastodon-headlined Missing Link show in oakland back in 2010, agreed that they are great and hilarious  :lol
definitely a show to remember, seeing as the lineup included Mastodon, BTBAM, High on Fire, Baroness, Bison BC, Valient Thorr, and some others i can't even remember  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: September 07, 2014, 06:11:13 AM »
The final track, Diamond in the Witch House, is pretty sinister and cool. Try it out.

It's my favourite on the album.

:hifive:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: September 07, 2014, 06:15:10 AM »
my 4 favorite Leviathan tracks, Blood and Thunder, Megalodon, Aqua Dementia, and Hearts Alive.

I love you.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1289 on: September 07, 2014, 05:02:09 PM »

It's my favourite on the album.

:hifive:

:metal

my 4 favorite Leviathan tracks, Blood and Thunder, Megalodon, Aqua Dementia, and Hearts Alive.

I love you.

:floydapproves:

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1290 on: September 07, 2014, 10:40:05 PM »
Death (punk band from the 70s, not the Chuck Schuldiner one) were surprisingly good. Death is a 3-piece, all-black punk band who are amazingly polished for what you'd expect from a punk band and had good actual singing, excellent harmonies, a few spots of LittleRichardcore falsetto, punk shouts, and excellent rock soloing, groovy bass playing (nice pentatonic fills all over the place), and very good drumming.

You're telling me that the '70s protopunk band Death opened for Mastodon? Damn, that must've been an interesting line-up. Have you seen the documentary "A Band Called Death"? (they're the same Death that's featured in the doc) If not, I highly recommend that you watch it if you liked what you heard, it's a very splendid documentary IMO. :tup

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1291 on: September 07, 2014, 10:46:45 PM »
Yeah, that Death. And yes, they referenced the doc a few times. I'll probably give it a shot soon.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1292 on: September 16, 2014, 11:04:44 AM »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1293 on: September 16, 2014, 06:57:05 PM »
lol Troy makes Harland Williams faces.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1294 on: September 17, 2014, 02:36:20 AM »
I hate to say it, but that was a pretty weak performance.
Brann is really struggling, and Troy hits a lot of bum notes on his bass. The bass seems slighty out of tune as well.
I wish they could add more reverb on the vocals on their live-performances.
Brent and Troy are complete rock-stars though  :metal