Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 264676 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. The Hunter
« Reply #1225 on: June 28, 2014, 02:52:15 AM »
I like how all their albums have their own character to them in the production and vibe.

Once More definitely has a vibe that Hunter or Crack The Skye didn't have.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1226 on: June 28, 2014, 03:55:54 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1227 on: June 28, 2014, 05:58:23 AM »
The Motherload live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNRehFSXJS4
Brann is great :metal

I was just waiting for him to get completely out of breath, but he pu!led through great!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: June 29, 2014, 03:59:46 AM »
Gotta give props to Troy too, he sounded fucking strong there, great stuff all round.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1229 on: June 29, 2014, 04:41:10 AM »
The album actually surpassed The Hunter to me. I'm truly impressed by the consistency of the album. The only song I'm not really digging is the closer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: June 29, 2014, 05:04:35 AM »
The album actually surpassed The Hunter to me. I'm truly impressed by the consistency of the album. The only song I'm not really digging is the closer.

Witch House is growing on me, but I feel it's probably the weakest too.  Although I think in time it has potential to grow.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1231 on: June 29, 2014, 06:59:28 AM »
Diamond in the Witch House is still by far my favorite, but it's also pretty different from the rest. It really does feel like a Neurosis track more than a Mastodon track, and considering Neurosis is my favorite metal band, that says it all. They're just on another level compared to other metal bands. As for the rest of the album, I think this is a very solid 8 out of 10. I don't think there's enough standout songs to warrant a 9, but it also doesn't have any real filler tracks, so the 8 just feels pretty solid. The album starts off really strong, has some of the more weaker moments somewhere in the middle but finishes on a high again, so hard to complain.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1232 on: June 29, 2014, 07:10:19 AM »
Yeah, the album is definitely an 8 or 8.5 for me. I like it a lot and some of the band's best songs ever are on this album (i.e. Tread Lightly, The Motherload), but there are definitely songs that pale in comparison to the highlights.

Oh and by the way, the Black Tongue beer is incredible. Good stuff.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1233 on: June 30, 2014, 05:59:42 PM »
Yeah, the album is definitely an 8 or 8.5 for me. I like it a lot and some of the band's best songs ever are on this album (i.e. Tread Lightly, The Motherload), but there are definitely songs that pale in comparison to the highlights.

Oh and by the way, the Black Tongue beer is incredible. Good stuff.

Agree with this, The first 3 tracks are excellent, but it's balanced by the weaker tracks. Diamond is a track I cannot get into at the moment but hopefully it'll grow.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: July 01, 2014, 03:57:39 AM »
:emo:

Diamond is my fave track ! I love how it builds and it reminds me of Leviathan.

I'm taking big long breaks in between playing the album so it doesn't get boring too quickly but Asleep in The Deep is growing on me now :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1235 on: July 01, 2014, 04:21:43 AM »
I've heard the album maybe 10 times now, and while it's still good, the last few listens have given me the impression that the album is not gonna do anything more for me. Like, I've given it an 8, but I don't hear any new things or potential for it to become something higher than that.

While I like this more than The Hunter, the last two albums have been more "catchy Mastodon", and that's cool and all, but for me, albums like Leviathan, Crack the Skye and Blood Mountain have perhaps a bit more staying power. I can still hear new and exciting things in those albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1236 on: July 01, 2014, 05:29:56 AM »
This album could be top 3 Mastodon for me.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1237 on: July 01, 2014, 10:40:54 PM »
The Motherload live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNRehFSXJS4
Brann is great :metal

Wow! Look at these f'ers go! They all killed it especially Brann!  :hefdaddy

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1238 on: July 01, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »
Awesome jam.

I've been really addicted to Feast Your Eyes recently. It's a great song to kill a bunch of people to, while you usurp the president of the united states and enact a law that states cannibalism will be mandatory. Y'all know what I'm talkin' about. Also Thickening. That one is better for beheadings though.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1239 on: July 02, 2014, 01:58:30 AM »
Brann is pretty cute...

Now I've got that out of the way. The New Album is amazing. I've only heard half of it so far, yet its great rockin music.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1240 on: July 03, 2014, 02:42:49 AM »
The more I listen to it, the more I think this album might end up being my album of the year. Here's my album ranking - as you can see, I prefer the later day Mastodon. Their early stuff is great, just not my cup of tea for the most part.

Crack the Skye
Once more 'round the sun
The Hunter
Leviathan
Blood mountain
Remission

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: July 03, 2014, 04:03:54 AM »
A Mastodon album is always album of the year  :biggrin:

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1242 on: July 03, 2014, 04:07:23 AM »
Has anyone bought the OMRTS vinyl? I'd like to know if it has less compression than the CD. If it does, I'm going to buy that vinyl, The Hunter vinyl and Leviathan vinyl :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: July 03, 2014, 04:08:53 AM »
I have no problem with the OMRTS CD sound.

I can listen to it pretty loud without getting ear fatigue so it's fine by me.

I wonder if an HDTracks exists.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1244 on: July 03, 2014, 04:40:43 AM »
Good people, direct me to the most apt starter album please. I've never listened to Mastoodon seriously, and I'd like to give it a go
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: July 03, 2014, 04:57:20 AM »
Not awailable in my country, Keptin !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: July 03, 2014, 04:58:08 AM »
Good people, direct me to the most apt starter album please. I've never listened to Mastoodon seriously, and I'd like to give it a go

Blood Mountain. It's not as heavy as their old stuff and not as proggy / catchy as the later stuff. A good middle ground.

Then if you want heavier go earlier - and if you want catchier / proggier - go later.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: July 03, 2014, 05:04:27 AM »
Not awailable in my country, Keptin !

Hmm if you use Chrome or Firefox you can download the Hola extension and access websites/services that are not available in your country. A proxy thingie.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1249 on: July 03, 2014, 05:12:01 AM »

It's hard to say, because each album is distinctively "Mastodon," while also being its own distinctive sound. But the three candidates that would most likely work the best for really getting into the band would be either Leviathan, Blood Mountain or Crack the Skye. Leviathan and Crack the Skye are the strongest, but Blood Mountain is a wickedly awesome blend of the two albums. Heavy like Leviathan and proggy like Crack the Skye.

Blood Mountain. It's not as heavy as their old stuff and not as proggy / catchy as the later stuff. A good middle ground.

Then if you want heavier go earlier - and if you want catchier / proggier - go later.

This is a good point.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1250 on: July 03, 2014, 07:39:23 AM »
I wonder if an HDTracks exists.

It does: https://www.hdtracks.com/once-more-round-the-sun-177747
Supposedly, the HDTracks version is very similar to (or even the same as) the CD version (source: https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/67390). The Spotify version should be relatively close to the CD version. Though it doesn't sound clipped, it sounds pretty compressed, and I'd rather have a less compressed version. I've decided to buy the vinyl anyway so I guess I'll find out :)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1251 on: July 03, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »

This. Blood Mountain is amazing and the one album that pretty much features all of their "sounds", although I personally found it fairly hard to get into, since it's complex, weird and all over the place. But it's worth it and a good starting point.

You might want to sample these songs (from Blood Mountain):
"Heavy": The Wolf Is Loose, Circle Of Cysquatch
"Prog": This Mortal Soil, Siberian Divide
"Catchy": Colony Of Birchmen, Sleeping Giant

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: July 03, 2014, 09:13:09 AM »
The more I listen to it, the more I think this album might end up being my album of the year.

Same here. It's my album of the year by this point. I'm hoping for greatness from Opeth and Foo Fighters later in the year, but they have to step up their game to top this.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1253 on: July 03, 2014, 10:13:27 AM »

This. Blood Mountain is amazing and the one album that pretty much features all of their "sounds", although I personally found it fairly hard to get into, since it's complex, weird and all over the place. But it's worth it and a good starting point.

You might want to sample these songs (from Blood Mountain):
"Heavy": The Wolf Is Loose, Circle Of Cysquatch
"Prog": This Mortal Soil, Siberian Divide
"Catchy": Colony Of Birchmen, Sleeping Giant

I'll listen to all of them then! Blood Mountain it is.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1254 on: July 03, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »
Blood Mountain is not a really good starting point. Most of the songs and riffs are fairly unmemorable, although Sleeping Giant is cool. I would definitely start with Leviathan and Crack The Skye.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1255 on: July 03, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »
Orcus, I'm going to have to ask you to shut your GAWT DANGED mouth. :P

Blood Mountain is easily my favorite, don't know how in the world you can call it unmemorable, it's simply just not true.
I get that you have an opinion and you have a right to it, but I'm here to tell you that your opinion is mind boggling.

Your opinion >
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:11:48 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1256 on: July 03, 2014, 09:54:35 PM »
Blood Mountain is not a really good starting point. Most of the songs and riffs are fairly unmemorable, although Sleeping Giant is cool. I would definitely start with Leviathan and Crack The Skye.

It's funny that you say that about Blood Mountain, because that's pretty much how I felt about it at first and Sleeping Giant was one of the only songs I liked. I'd say Crack The Skye is a better starting point because the music is more easily enjoyable upon first listen in my opinion. Blood Mountain was a bit harder to digest for me, but it has since become my favorite album of theirs.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1257 on: July 03, 2014, 10:08:55 PM »
Blood Mountain was a bit harder to digest for me, but it has since become my favorite album of theirs.

That's why it's not the best starting point... as it is a grower even for fans, it could quickly turn off a newbie to their sound.
Between Leviathan or Crack The Skye, i would say Leviathan is the best entry to Mastodon.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1258 on: July 04, 2014, 07:26:43 AM »
Well I'm listening to Blood Mountain now anyways, and will likely listen to Leviathan later. I'm enjoying this one quite a bit. The vocal effects in Circle of Cysquatch  :metal

With that being said, I've never been to big on the sludge metal vocal style. It's less about screaming and/or growling and more of a loud bellow, I guess. Maybe they'll grow on me with Mastodon.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1259 on: July 04, 2014, 01:08:33 PM »
Well I'm listening to Blood Mountain now anyways, and will likely listen to Leviathan later. I'm enjoying this one quite a bit. The vocal effects in Circle of Cysquatch  :metal

With that being said, I've never been to big on the sludge metal vocal style. It's less about screaming and/or growling and more of a loud bellow, I guess. Maybe they'll grow on me with Mastodon.

In that instance, I'd suggest checking out Crack the Skye soon too. That's the album where they really started to clean up the vocals a lot and Brann started contributing vocals (he's easily the best singer in the band).
Where I, the Cosmic Sea