Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 264655 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. The Hunter
« Reply #945 on: October 28, 2013, 06:12:29 PM »
That's epic! Too bad it's only digital.

Yes i'd love a physical copy - but if it's digital only it may be cheaper. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: October 30, 2013, 04:44:37 AM »
A DVD would have been cool too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #947 on: October 30, 2013, 08:55:19 AM »
I'm amazed that I just got into this band. They're amazing! :metal :tup I've listened to all five of their studio albums at least once so far, though I've listened to a couple of them multiple times. Currently my rankings are:

1. Leviathan

2. Blood Mountain
3. Crack the Skye
4. The Hunter

5. Remission

That being said, I think that all five of them are great and I suspect they'll continue to grow on me with repeated listens.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #948 on: October 31, 2013, 07:45:22 AM »
I gotta say, the more I listen to all of these Mastodon albums, the more I'm reminded of the days when I first got into metal in 2007. Back when I didn't care as much about vocals and just focused on the music as a whole.

The biggest thing I remember from that time was this one night back in the December of that year and my family went out into Honolulu to do some volunteer work at a small rundown homeless shelter somewhere in the middle of the city's own personal Chinatown. My dad had just been deployed to Iraq a few days before and I was stuck with my mom and my younger sister for the following six months.

We lived on another part of the island, so we had a pretty long drive to get that shelter- first from our house to the church at Pearl Harbor and from Pearl Harbor to the shelter. Back then, I listened to Dio-era Black Sabbath, Megadeth and was getting into old school Metallica. On the long drives there and back, as well as whatever brief moments I had away from the volunteer work, I listened to Ride the Lightning over and over again. I still remember listening to "Fade to Black" that night as the church bus drove on the highway with the city lights flying by.

Obviously I moved away to other bands and albums over time, but those early days were the first steps to where I am today. And now I'm here in college and listening to Leviathan and I'm having that same feeling I had back that night when I listened to RtL. Absolutely surreal stuff...
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #949 on: November 20, 2013, 01:06:42 PM »
My apologies for triple posting in this thread, but the band just made an update on their upcoming album. Sounds like this will be an interesting album, as always with Mastodon! :hefdaddy :tup Also, it looks like this album is going to be produced by Nick Raskulinecz. Hope it sounds as great sonically as Rush's Snakes and Arrows album did!

In recent years, when the members of metal riff crushers Mastodon were on the road, they turned to an unexpected source for inspiration: Stevie Wonder.

"Every night before we went onstage, we used to put on a video of Stevie Wonder, live in '72 on a New York public access show, and then Stevie live in '75 on a German music show," reveals drummer Brann Dailor as he sits in a van after a band rehearsal. "Watching Stevie Wonder, he gets there, and it doesn't seem hard for him. It just puts me in that mindset where it's more of a spiritual realm of going on the stage as opposed to taking it for granted."

The drummer says that watching Wonder in his prime – and watching concert films in general – is what inspired the group, in part, to film a February 2012 gig at the O2 Academy Brixton in London when the quartet was deep into a tour supporting their most recent album, The Hunter. At the time, the 5,000 or so metalheads who filled the venue was the largest audience the band had played for as a headliner. Now the group's 97-minute set is coming out as the digital-only video and audio release Mastodon Live at Brixton.

Over a year later, Dailor still recalls the show fondly, using words like "amazing" and "pretty fantastic." Knowing that the show would be a milestone for the group, Mastodon planned ahead and booked a camera crew to capture it. "It's a cool thing for us to have a pro-shot thing now that sounds really good and sees us really digging into our material and being Mastodon," he says. "It's a good opportunity to present the live experience of seeing our band, because we are a live band."

Although the show contains many highlights, including the group's sweaty, guitar-dueling anthem "Blood and Thunder" and their recent, cucumber-cool "Curl of the Burl" single, the standout is the finale. The set contains 23 songs but feels like less of a workout since Mastodon has the tendency to "Ramones it," as Dailor puts it, going from one song to the next with a "less talk, more rock" attitude. After pummeling their way to a well-deserved break, they returned to the stage so Dailor could drum and take lead vocals on the catchy, hard-rock-leaning Hunter track "Creature Lives."

As green lasers light the audience, he begins his lyrics about an "Iron Man" or "Jeremy"-type character who feels unloved and retreats "into the swamp from which he spawned." But Mastodon could hardly relate, since the 5,000 headbangers in the audience raise their hands and sing along on the song's "whoa" chorus breaks, and members of the tour's supporting acts – art-metal terrorists the Dillinger Escape Plan and stoner-metal troupe Red Fang – mount the stage to join in.

"We never had a real sing-along kind of song before," Dailor says, looking back. "When I wrote it, in my head, I remember driving around thinking about that." Midway through the performance, red balloons descend from the rafters – an event the drummer says occurred only in London. "That's expensive, them balloons," he says with a laugh. "You gotta have somebody come and rig 'em up in the ceiling and drop them – it costs money."

As of August, the group has ended touring in support of The Hunter. Currently, Mastodon's focus is on writing their as-yet-untitled sixth full-length. They'd begun writing a bit during a tour-free gap between November 2012 and this past May, during which vocalist-guitarist Brent Hinds told reporters he was writing "spooky sounding," "Radiohead-ish" music for the band. But a European trek and a run on the main stage of this summer's Mayhem Festival stymied their progress. Looking back, the drummer doesn't mind the break from songwriting.

"In all honesty, I didn't feel like we were ready before Mayhem Fest," he says. "When we got back, it wasn't too hard to get back into writing. In my head, I worry so much about the music, like, 'Is it going to come together?' But it will be ready when it's ready. It's pretty much ready right now."

In a couple of weeks, Mastodon will be entering the studio with producer Nick Raskulinecz, who has helmed LPs for Foo Fighters, Rush and others. Explaining the choice, Dailor unleashes a litany of rationales: "He's a rock guy. He's a rocker. He likes to rock." Most important, "He's done a bunch of our friends' records that sound great," Dailor says. "I'm a fan of all the Deftones records he's done, all the Alice in Chains stuff, and he worked with Queens of the Stone Age on [their 2002 album] Songs for the Deaf."

So far Mastodon have written about 18 or 19 songs, but Dailor says the group "needs to trim the herd." Though he's cagey about specifics, he says the songs reflect Mastodon's inclination for trying new things, considering their career has found them transition from playing sludge metal to prog metal to hard rock.

"It's gonna be massive and insane, lots of epic greatness," he says. "There will be lots of huge riffs and new directions. It's real weird, real math-y, real straightforward. It's up, down and all around." He laughs. "It's a culmination of everything for the band. The snowball keeps rolling and collecting snow."

Asked whether Mastodon has been channeling any of the Stevie Wonder mentality in songwriting, he replies in the affirmative. "He's just in the moment and he loves it so much," Dailor says. "It's like, oh, man, I want that. The four of us try to go all the way there. Since we are the only ones that we can please genuinely, that's what we try to do."

But for all of Dailor's turns of phrase and philosophizing, his demeanor grows suddenly serious. "There's very few things that anybody can do to stop a Mastodon record from being born," he says. "And this thing's gonna get born, OK? And there's nothing anybody can do about it. We're ready to lay them shits down. We're ready to rock."
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mastodon-detail-weird-next-record-and-new-live-release-20131120
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: November 20, 2013, 01:17:49 PM »
 :metal cool stuff. I'm sure it will be fantastic as usual.

6 or 7 albums in 14 years. That's the way to do it. I hope they always keep up their schedule of an album every 2.5 years.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #951 on: November 20, 2013, 01:30:46 PM »
:metal cool stuff. I'm sure it will be fantastic as usual.

Agreed. That said, I am hoping we get just a little bit more Brann on main vocals on this album. I'd love to hear a more balanced share of vocals from him, Troy and Brent.

6 or 7 albums in 14 years. That's the way to do it. I hope they always keep up their schedule of an album every 2.5 years.

Yeah, I really like the band's work ethic.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: November 20, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »
Dream Theater and Therapy? have also put out a ton of albums in their career.

I can think of many bands who have put out less than a handful of albums in the same time.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #953 on: November 20, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »
Dream Theater and Therapy? have also put out a ton of albums in their career.

I can think of many bands who have put out less than a handful of albums in the same time.

That's an excellent point. I wish more bands were as active as in making and releasing albums as Mastodon and DT are.

BTW, I'm just now checking out that bonus track 'Deathbound' off of The Hunter, and apparently Bill did lead vocals on that song. :omg: I'm seriously surprised he doesn't do lead vocals in the band more often, he's great! It'd be awesome for the whole band to share lead vocals on the new album! :metal :hefdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=710UyJF7C48

I also found that 'song' the band did for the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie that came out awhile back, and I was wondering who did the King Diamond-esque vocals for that song. Does anyone here know? Or did King Diamond actually contribute the song for their song too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhfjcM1PnmY

EDIT: I just double-checked and apparently Brann did the King Diamond vocals and Brent did the thrashier vocals. Huh. I could see Brann doing the KD vocals, but I figured Troy did the other vocals. :lol Call me redundant, but it'd be awesome for them to do that a little more often on their more 'serious' albums. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: November 20, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »
I love how Mastodon are primarily a metal band but aren't afraid to put experimental songs on albums and just be goofy.

I may eat my words but I can't imagine many other bands being as at once heavy as they are but at the same time can be as goofy and original

and down to earth as they are.

Plus I also love how each album is a it different and they didn't just redo Blood Mountain every two years.

And yeah - Bill's growls are amazing. He does " White Whale - Holy Grail " live and it's br00tal !

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #955 on: November 20, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »
I love how Mastodon are primarily a metal band but aren't afraid to put experimental songs on albums and just be goofy.

I may eat my words but I can't imagine many other bands being as at once heavy as they are but at the same time can be as goofy and original

and down to earth as they are.

Plus I also love how each album is a it different and they didn't just redo Blood Mountain every two years.

And yeah - Bill's growls are amazing. He does " White Whale - Holy Grail " live and it's br00tal !

Yeah, personality-wise, the guys in Mastodon really remind me of the guys in Rush. Really goofy but smart and talented people.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #956 on: November 22, 2013, 09:08:43 AM »
But for all of Dailor's turns of phrase and philosophizing, his demeanor grows suddenly serious. "There's very few things that anybody can do to stop a Mastodon record from being born," he says. "And this thing's gonna get born, OK? And there's nothing anybody can do about it. We're ready to lay them shits down. We're ready to rock."

why'd he get so serious? who's he think is trying to stop them?!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #957 on: November 22, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »

why'd he get so serious? who's he think is trying to stop them?!

My guesses are

1. Our Dark Lord Cthulu
2. Dick Cheney
3. A new Ice Age
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #958 on: November 22, 2013, 09:13:15 PM »
Don't sleep on the proletariat either...
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #960 on: December 03, 2013, 12:28:10 AM »
I watched that yesterday, very good performance!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: December 05, 2013, 07:21:08 PM »
 :metal

Offline Onno

« Reply #964 on: December 10, 2013, 12:34:57 AM »
 :metal

Live At Brixton is out on iTunes, and the audio is also on Spotify!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #966 on: February 11, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
The new Mastodon album is on its way! In fact, if the timeline drummer Brann Dailor gave us during this exclusive interview remains correct, Mastodon have officially finished recording their sixth studio album. Along with that bit of news, Dailor went deep into what fans can expect from the highly anticipated full-length and offered a lot more insight on both the band and himself.

Read More: Mastodon's Brann Dailor on 'Bizarre' New Album, Tour + More | https://loudwire.com/mastodon-brann-dailor-bizarre-new-album-2014-tour-chaotic-drumming-style/?trackback=tsmclip

:metal :metal :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #967 on: February 11, 2014, 09:06:15 PM »
The new Mastodon album is on its way! In fact, if the timeline drummer Brann Dailor gave us during this exclusive interview remains correct, Mastodon have officially finished recording their sixth studio album. Along with that bit of news, Dailor went deep into what fans can expect from the highly anticipated full-length and offered a lot more insight on both the band and himself.

Read More: Mastodon's Brann Dailor on 'Bizarre' New Album, Tour + More | https://loudwire.com/mastodon-brann-dailor-bizarre-new-album-2014-tour-chaotic-drumming-style/?trackback=tsmclip

:metal :metal :metal

I read that earlier today! :metal So far, Bill has compared the album to Remission and The Hunter and Brann compared it to Blood Mountain (which, when you think about it, kinda IS like a cross between Remission and The Hunter). So at the very least, it sounds like this will be the heaviest album that the band has made in awhile. I can dig it. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #968 on: February 11, 2014, 09:09:10 PM »
Sounds awesome! I still need to pick up The Hunter, though.

(and every one of their albums not called Crack The Skye :lol )

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #969 on: February 11, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »
Sounds awesome! I still need to pick up The Hunter, though.

(and every one of their albums not called Crack The Skye :lol )

Definitely check out Blood Mountain :metal

And I'm really exited for the new one!

Offline Onno

« Reply #970 on: February 12, 2014, 12:28:22 AM »
Oh yeah, the new one should be good. Really looking forward to that one!  :metal

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #971 on: February 12, 2014, 12:42:41 AM »
If they made every future album in Remission's style, I'd die a happy man. I wanna like The Hunter but it just hasn't done shit for me and half of its songs have me just waiting for them to be over. Basically, as long as they never make another Blood Mountain or The Hunter, I doubt I'll stop buying their shit but they're nearly reaching DT status in the way I buy their albums with naive optimism and am completely bored with it in less than six months.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #972 on: February 12, 2014, 02:36:30 AM »
Blood Mountain's my favourite Mastodon album  :angel:

I'm not that keen on The Hunter though. I really like about 3 tracks and the rest I find a bit "meh".

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: February 12, 2014, 04:17:50 AM »
I've tried many times to get into the Hunter but it never seems to work for me.  I always go back to you thinking that I must be missing something, but same as Floyd, I just end up wanting to turn it off.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: February 12, 2014, 06:38:28 AM »
I still love The Hunter :)

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #975 on: February 12, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »
The Hunter isn't bad, I like it a fair bit personally. But it isn't my favorite Mastodon album.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want every album in the band's discography to be like Remission either; the diversity in each album is part of what I love about the band. No matter what sort of mood I'm in, there's a good chance that I'll be in the right mood to listen to at least one of their albums. That wouldn't be the case if all of the albums just followed in the path of Remission.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #976 on: February 12, 2014, 01:21:23 PM »
The Hunter isn't bad, I like it a fair bit personally. But it isn't my favorite Mastodon album.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want every album in the band's discography to be like Remission either; the diversity in each album is part of what I love about the band. No matter what sort of mood I'm in, there's a good chance that I'll be in the right mood to listen to at least one of their albums. That wouldn't be the case if all of the albums just followed in the path of Remission.

^^^^ :tup ^^^^

I'm still a really big fan of The Hunter, but I love all their other albums too. I can find enough distinct differences in each album to find one that fits what I prefer to listen to in just about any moment.

Offline Onno

« Reply #977 on: February 12, 2014, 02:06:36 PM »
I agree with what Mister Gold said.

Wow, that sounded pretty awesome tbh.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #978 on: February 12, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »
^^^^ :tup ^^^^

I'm still a really big fan of The Hunter, but I love all their other albums too. I can find enough distinct differences in each album to find one that fits what I prefer to listen to in just about any moment.

Yeah, exactly. It's very rare for me to not be in the mood for a Mastodon album. :biggrin:

I agree with what Mister Gold said.

Wow, that sounded pretty awesome tbh.

:lol Wow, I'm honored! Thanks! :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Onno

« Reply #979 on: February 12, 2014, 03:33:14 PM »
Yeah, well, it's so close to 'Mister Bond' that it almost has to sound awesome  :lol