Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 264646 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. The Hunter
« Reply #735 on: May 16, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »
It took a while for CtS to grow on me like that, and the rest of their music eventually followed.  Now they're my favorite heavy metal band.

Offline adace

« Reply #736 on: May 22, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #737 on: May 22, 2012, 11:28:55 PM »
my Mastodon top 5 at the moment

Dry Bone Valley
Blood And Thunder
The Last Baron
Stargasm
Bladecatcher - this song is so messed up - whatever is happening during the fast "verses" always reminds me of Donald Duck trying to sing extreme tech metal
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #739 on: May 22, 2012, 11:36:37 PM »
cool video.  They almost blinded me with that light effect during the "just close your eyes" choruses.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #740 on: October 18, 2012, 04:01:55 AM »
Moby Dick was published 161 years ago today. I celebrated by listening to Leviathan in its entirety.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #741 on: October 18, 2012, 04:08:47 AM »
Moby Dick was published 161 years ago today. I celebrated by listening to Leviathan in its entirety.

I'ma do that too!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: October 18, 2012, 04:12:03 AM »

Best Mastodon album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #743 on: October 18, 2012, 04:13:34 AM »

Best Mastodon album not named "Remission."

:P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: October 18, 2012, 04:26:47 AM »
Remission is so underrated it's not funny, it is a true masterpiece and miles ahead of the last two.  That album really is a thing of beauty.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #745 on: October 18, 2012, 04:42:19 AM »
Yeah, it gets unfairly shat on because of all the growl-despising fans who've come aboard since Crack the Skye who probably have never given a fair chance to such melodic gems as Ole Nessie, Trainwreck, Trilobite, and Elephant Man. Also, I think most folks who smile themselves over Blood and Thunder would probably like Crusher Destroyer if they forced themselves to listen to it a good 5-10 times which ain't asking much since it's like 2 1/2 minutes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: October 18, 2012, 04:45:12 AM »
Yeah, you're right, it's never given a fair chance and just written off, but IMO, it's miles ahead of CTS and TH.  Fav songs;

Crusher Destroyer
March of the Fire Ants
Where Strides the Behemoth
Burning Man
Workhouse
Mother Puncher

Really the whole fucking thing is incredible, love Troy's vocals on this too, Mastodon's true sound for me.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #747 on: October 18, 2012, 04:58:12 AM »
Yeah, it's the musical equivalent of injecting a bull with PCP and letting it loose in a china shop. Just sheer, unrelenting, visceral release. I remember the first time I saw them was when MotF's video came on the latter-day incarnation of Headbanger's Ball and I turned to my friend halfway through and said "Dude! That drummer's been playing a solo since the intro ended!!" It was also incredible how it seemed like the rhythm of the songs is only jolted in cases where it seems like he's doing so intentionally for effect (Iron Tusk 2:10, Trilobite 3:09) despite the fact that he seldom plays "in the pocket."

I also thought Brent Hinds was 50 in March's video.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: October 18, 2012, 05:05:46 AM »
Iron Tusk could possibly be my fav riff ever!

Watching the Fire Ants video right now.  Damn how the band has become so ordinary compared to this.  I wish they stuck to this style.  I now know why I don't listen to them as much as I did 6 or 7 years ago.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #749 on: October 18, 2012, 05:27:50 AM »
Yeah. It just feels like they focus a little too hard on "covering all bases" in most of their songs now which has caused sameyness issues. It also feels like they've forgotten how to write heavy parts with any real intensity. Even though The Hunter has been a giant snore fest for me, I'll probably keep buying each new album until they make one that truly sucks since at least the cover art and liner notes are pretty.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #750 on: October 18, 2012, 05:34:12 AM »
The Hunter is still my favorite Mastodon album.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #751 on: October 18, 2012, 05:36:48 AM »
Not to bait you for an argument or anything but when did you discover or get into them?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: October 18, 2012, 05:47:14 AM »
Yeah. It just feels like they focus a little too hard on "covering all bases" in most of their songs now which has caused sameyness issues. It also feels like they've forgotten how to write heavy parts with any real intensity. Even though The Hunter has been a giant snore fest for me, I'll probably keep buying each new album until they make one that truly sucks since at least the cover art and liner notes are pretty.

Fucking Spectrelight and Black Tongue. 

I don't understand the "cover all bases" thing in that post either.  The Hunter is full of quality songs and its more of a reaction to the over-progness of Crack the Skye.  I don't think its supposed to be a continuation of their older style, just something different.  And it still rocks. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: October 18, 2012, 06:04:20 AM »
Spectrelight and Black Tongue are soft and lightweight compared to Fire Ants, Hail to Fire, Workhorse, Burning Man, Shadows That Move etc.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #754 on: October 18, 2012, 06:25:21 AM »
Well, after all, it is skydivingninja reacting emphatically to a post where I've expressed an opinion on music so that doesn't surprise me in the least.

By "covering all bases" I meant the way their dynamics have shifted toward generally avoiding being too heavy for the newer fans that came on board since BM/CtS and having a much smaller range of dynamics so the songs have less of a probability of yielding polarizing reactions.

I'm guessing you didn't know of or like them until well after Leviathan's release? I don't mean that as a jab either but just trying to point out how it's much easier to not have any issues with the newer output if that was your first exposure to them and what you've gotten used to hearing from them.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #755 on: October 18, 2012, 06:29:04 AM »
While Crack The Skye, and Blood Mountain are my favorites, the older stuff is still amazing, I'd really like to see them combine their two sounds.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #756 on: October 18, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »
new proshot live vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpoNSXlaHDk&feature=g-u-u

One of the better Mastodon recordings I've heard. The vocalists actually managed to hit some notes by accident.

I really like their albums but they need to work on their live vocals. Being a musician is a job that requires you to stay in shape technically.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #757 on: October 18, 2012, 07:47:43 AM »
The problem is they never had the shape to begin with. After Eric Saner left, Brent and Troy reluctantly split vocal duties and at that time they very likely didn't plan on being the singers for the long haul. Also, they play stuff that's not particularly made for being able to easily sing over. I definitely agree that if you're gonna be performing you should make your best efforts to do it well but the fact that they were originally just musicians that filled a seemingly temporary void is probably a lrge part of why they never got around to sharpening their skills.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #758 on: October 18, 2012, 07:48:18 AM »
Every time I've seen them live they've done wonderfully vocally and musically.  I honestly don't get where that complaint comes from.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #759 on: October 18, 2012, 08:25:26 AM »
I think folks just have a hard time getting used to their style because it's not roaring, it's not traditionally "trained" singing where you're adding vibrato to the end of vocal lines, etc., and they don't go for any overt emotional inflection in their delivery either so their style is more like quirky storytelling ala Les Claypool but since the music is so profoundly complex, well-written, and intensely presented it seems to rub some folks the wrong way that the vocals themselves convey a more laid-back approach.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: October 18, 2012, 09:09:37 AM »
Well, after all, it is skydivingninja reacting emphatically to a post where I've expressed an opinion on music so that doesn't surprise me in the least.

By "covering all bases" I meant the way their dynamics have shifted toward generally avoiding being too heavy for the newer fans that came on board since BM/CtS and having a much smaller range of dynamics so the songs have less of a probability of yielding polarizing reactions.

I'm guessing you didn't know of or like them until well after Leviathan's release? I don't mean that as a jab either but just trying to point out how it's much easier to not have any issues with the newer output if that was your first exposure to them and what you've gotten used to hearing from them.

I'm guessing you're talking about the "fucking spectrelight" comment.  It wasn't meant to be some emphatic post, just a response that says "how did you forget about those heavy-as-elephant-shit songs?" in a shorter way.  :P

Yes, I got into them in 2009 with Crack the Skye, but I also fucking love Leviathan.  Remission is okay.  Some good songs, some forgettable ones.  I don't think the time you get into a band positively or negatively affects your opinion of their older/newer music unless you make it your MO to do so.  You like it or you don't, you prefer one era over the other.  Whatevs. 

I also don't think they would dumb down their sound just to be more accessible anyways.  I wouldn't call Crack the Skye or Blood Mountain accessible at all.  I'm not even sure half of the Hunter is, for that matter.  :lol

I agree with your point about vocals though.  They certainly aren't the best in the world, and they took me a while to get into, but I can't imagine Mastodon without 'em.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: October 18, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »
Spectrelight and Black Tongue are soft and lightweight compared to Fire Ants, Hail to Fire, Workhorse, Burning Man, Shadows That Move etc.

If you listen to everything from Call Of The Mastodon right up to The Hunter - there is a natural progression and growth. Not like some bands who do two really great albums then take a HUGE left turn and do a completely different style almost overnight.

I'm cool with that. If I want heavy - i'll listen to Remission. But since i've been a fan since 2004 - I've been there with each release and taken the journey if you will along with the band.

IMO - they haven't done a bad album yet and they seem to be evolving naturally with their sound instead of doing one super heavy album one year and then a super mellow electro jazz album the next.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: October 18, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
 I was having this conversation with a friend the other day.

We were talking about bands that completely change styles on their next album.

Radiohead obviously came up and I mentioned how Kid A should have been released as a side project - then if fan reaction was poor - they could go back to being Radiohead again on the album after it.

I like how Green Day released Money Money 2020 as The Network and it was a vastly different style to what Green Day do normally.

That way - if you don't like that one album - it's ok because it's not a 100% official Green Day album. Same with the Hot Tubs CD - although admittedly - that was closer to what GD do normally.

I just think it makes more sense to do experimental music as an alternative band so as not to annoy your own fan base.

How does this fit it with the Mastodon discussion ?

Well as I said before - their sound has changed incrementally over 4 or 5 albums - they didn't go from Remission to Crack The Skye in one album.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: October 18, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »
Watching the Fire Ants video right now.  Damn how the band has become so ordinary compared to this.

I don't know, it sounds pretty generic compared to what they're doing now.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #764 on: October 18, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »
I was having this conversation with a friend the other day.

We were talking about bands that completely change styles on their next album.

Radiohead obviously came up and I mentioned how Kid A should have been released as a side project - then if fan reaction was poor - they could go back to being Radiohead again on the album after it.

I like how Green Day released Money Money 2020 as The Network and it was a vastly different style to what Green Day do normally.

That way - if you don't like that one album - it's ok because it's not a 100% official Green Day album. Same with the Hot Tubs CD - although admittedly - that was closer to what GD do normally.

I just think it makes more sense to do experimental music as an alternative band so as not to annoy your own fan base.

How does this fit it with the Mastodon discussion ?

Well as I said before - their sound has changed incrementally over 4 or 5 albums - they didn't go from Remission to Crack The Skye in one album.

I'm not that familiar with Mastodon or Green Day, but I don't really like that argument, because it implies that bands should cater what their fans want, not what they want to do.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: October 18, 2012, 12:30:42 PM »
Well successful bands are *only* successful because the fans buy the music.

Some bands tend to forget that.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #766 on: October 18, 2012, 02:37:45 PM »
The Hunter is my favorite album from the band but I'd place Remission right close to CtS behind it. I am one of those who became a fan at the release of CtS and I am not a huge growl vocal fan but I do really enjoy their early work regardless of that. IMO they were great then and still are...

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #767 on: October 18, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »
Not to bait you for an argument or anything but when did you discover or get into them?

Well I really liked a few songs from CTS around 09, and eventually I started listening to the whole album and getting into it, though originally I didn't dig the vocals. When The Hunter came out, I thought it was awesome with the catchy songwriting and the better vocals. However, this then got me into the rest of the bands' work, and eventually I came to love it all. I think that subjectively Leviathan is a better album than The Hunter, but that's the album that made me fall in love with the band totally, rather than partially.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: October 18, 2012, 04:54:18 PM »
I first heard Leviathan in 04 and it blew me away.

It sounded like Nirvana covering Metallica.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #769 on: October 18, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »
I remember when Blood Mountain came out and Mastodon was being pushed as the next best thing.  I bought the CD, having only listened to "The wolf Is Loose" (which I thought was pretty awesome) and I hated most of the album.  Cut '09 and I hear "Oblivion" and I thought it was fucking awesome.  I loved Brann's vocals so that was a great way to help me get used to Brent and Troy's rather unique vocals. 

It took a while, but I eventually really got into CTS and I love it now.  Went back and listened to Leviathan, BM and RemissionLeviathan I loved almost immediately.  BM eventually grew on me to the point that I do like it now, but it's still one of my least favorites from them.  Remission is about half good and half completely forgettable.  I liked their heavier stuff, but on Remission, the songs just weren't that interesting.

Finally The Hunter came out and I was bit torn on it at first.  It seemed good, but not awesome.  It almost sounded like Mastodon's Black Album, though nowhere near as boring.  It eventually grew on me.  The Hunter has a lot of really quality songs but I hope that this is not a style that they stick with for very long.

My Ranking:

Crack The Skye
Leviathan
--- Those two are incredibly close.  Really amazing albums right there. ---
The Hunter
Blood Mountain
----------
Remission