9 (7.3%)
Pearl Jam
23 (18.7%)
Soundgarden
31 (25.2%)
Stone Temple Pilots
3 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Grunge Discussion (Poll as well)  (Read 18209 times)

Offline WardySI

Re: Grunge Discussion (Poll as well)
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2023, 06:15:23 PM »
Fer sure King Animal wasn't up to their past glories but certainly contained some stellar material. 

Love BMF but yes Superuknown remains a Top10'er fer my ears.  Hadn't heard a note of theirs until then new single My Wave came over speakers at my local gym and was hooked. Louder Than Love came later for me and would now listen to it as much as any Soundgarden these days (Ugly Truth rules!). 

All that said I have an absolute love for Down On The Upside. Did then back in 96 and even moreso now. While it was evident Chris' venture towards more pop and ballads etc was in full swing, those and much of the album was IMO some of his/their best material.  Still rate Pretty Noose very highly and songs such as Switch Opens and Overfloater too often overlooked. 

Splendid stuff and will add Tighter And Tighter is quite possibly one of Cornell's finest achievements IMO!  Just sayin'  ;)

Anyway needless to say these yet to be released songs are high on my wishlist \m/

« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 06:24:45 PM by WardySI »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2023, 07:31:23 PM »
Fer sure King Animal wasn't up to their past glories but certainly contained some stellar material. 

Love BMF but yes Superuknown remains a Top10'er fer my ears.  Hadn't heard a note of theirs until then new single My Wave came over speakers at my local gym and was hooked. Louder Than Love came later for me and would now listen to it as much as any Soundgarden these days (Ugly Truth rules!). 

All that said I have an absolute love for Down On The Upside. Did then back in 96 and even moreso now. While it was evident Chris' venture towards more pop and ballads etc was in full swing, those and much of the album was IMO some of his/their best material.  Still rate Pretty Noose very highly and songs such as Switch Opens and Overfloater too often overlooked. 

Splendid stuff and will add Tighter And Tighter is quite possibly one of Cornell's finest achievements IMO!  Just sayin'  ;)

Anyway needless to say these yet to be released songs are high on my wishlist \m/

My go to Soundgarden album.  I was obsessed with it back in the day, Tighter and Tighter, top 3 Soundgarden song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2023, 09:31:27 PM »
AiC, with Soundgarden close behind and no others even close to either.  AiC was heavy and had some of the best vocal harmonies ever done by anybody.  Add to that the fact that they could write a really good song.

I like the description of Soundgarden as the Sabbath of the '90s.  But their music was pretty diverse and was hit and miss with me.  Some of their stuff I really liked.  Other stuff...meh.

I liked Pearl Jam for Ten, and then lost interest after that.  Nothing else they have done grabbed me.  But I remember rushing out to buy Ten the day it came out after months of anticipation, and that album did not let me down. 

I don't like any of those other bands, or really any of the others loosely classified as "grunge."

AND TEMPLE OF THE DOG DON'T COUNT BECAUSE THEY WERE A SIDE PROJECT!  THAT'S CHEATING!

How about Mad Season? "Above" is a great album.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2023, 09:35:32 PM »
TEMPLE OF THE DOG
Them and Mad Season were the two next most well-known that I left off because I wanted to stick with the big five, so to speak.

Mad Season "Above" is a kick ass album.

Offline HOF

« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2023, 09:46:18 PM »
TEMPLE OF THE DOG
Them and Mad Season were the two next most well-known that I left off because I wanted to stick with the big five, so to speak.

Mad Season "Above" is a kick ass album.

Both are good. Temple Of The Dog might be my favorite grunge album (maybe behind Pearl Jam Vs.)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2023, 11:43:14 PM »
What about Mad Season, Above.  I heard it's a kick ass album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2023, 09:46:04 AM »
Mad Season, "Above", is a kick ass album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2023, 11:20:50 AM »
But did you ever hear about Mad Season's album, Above?

THAT, my friends, is how you make a kick ass album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2023, 01:44:53 PM »
DT is doing it live start to finish. A Change Of Mad Seasons "Above Kick Ass".  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2023, 04:27:18 PM »
 :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2023, 08:54:43 PM »
It's wild how times have changed since I initially voted in this poll. AiC would absolutory be my choice now.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2023, 10:22:25 PM »
I just find the results surprising because while AIC does have great riffs and catchy songs, Soundgarden is by far the most “prog” of all the grunge bands.  Ever since I discovered Rush at 12 years old, I was immediately drawn to the rock bands that gravitated toward more unusual time signatures and off-kilter rhythms.  That’s the main reason Soundgarden sets themselves apart from the pack. Alice In Chains, being much more straightforward and admittedly great songwriters, strike me more as the AC/DC of the bunch.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2023, 07:20:55 AM »
I just find the results surprising because while AIC does have great riffs and catchy songs, Soundgarden is by far the most “prog” of all the grunge bands.  Ever since I discovered Rush at 12 years old, I was immediately drawn to the rock bands that gravitated toward more unusual time signatures and off-kilter rhythms.  That’s the main reason Soundgarden sets themselves apart from the pack. Alice In Chains, being much more straightforward and admittedly great songwriters, strike me more as the AC/DC of the bunch.
That's an odd comparison, since AIC's songs and albums don't all sound the same, like AC/DC.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2023, 08:10:24 AM »
That's an odd comparison, since AIC's songs and albums don't all sound the same, like AC/DC.

Yeah, if there was an AC/DC of the group I’d say it’s Nirvana, but I wouldn’t say any of them were much like AC/DC in sound, style, or spirit.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2023, 09:37:57 AM »
Huh. I guess to me, even more so than Nirvana, AIC was the most “samey” of the bunch.

I did finally listen to Rainier Fog. Pretty good album. I was surprised how much it sounded exactly like their older stuff. To the point that if I didn’t know better, I’d swear Layne never died.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2023, 09:51:03 AM »
I'm glad the songs will be released. My favorite two bands from that era are Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.

I never got to see them, but saw Cornell solo (on his Carry On tour, which featured a ton of SG material), and I was lucky to see Temple of the Dog. Always bummed I never got to see SG. It just wasn't in the cards. As for Alice, still a favorite. Rainer Fog was a great record. They recorded the last show in Seattle, I guess with thoughts of releasing it, but it hasn't yet been announced. It was a great show. Had a few friends there. An aside - Chris DeGarmo and his daughter (known as "The Rue") were an unannounced first act to that show. DeGarmo, as some may know, played the acoustic guitar (the long solo-ish interlude section) on "Drone." He didn't want a credit on the album, but Jerry Cantrell mentioned it numerous times in the media.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2023, 03:38:05 AM »
No love for The Screaming Trees?  There final (proper) two releases with 'Sweet Oblivion' in 92 and 'Dust' in 96 are great albums.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2023, 10:53:54 AM »
I saw Alice In Chains open for Van Halen, amazing show.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2023, 11:15:30 AM »
So did I!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #159 on: April 21, 2023, 06:40:17 PM »
No love for The Screaming Trees?  There final (proper) two releases with 'Sweet Oblivion' in 92 and 'Dust' in 96 are great albums.

Lots love here, both sensational albums.

We had a radio station here back when that supported all these so-called alternative bands that they often grouped together a heap of particular singles like a playlist. 

We got Pretty Noose, All I Know, and our local acts Powderfinger's Pick You Up or something from Silverchair heck think they were still playing Screaming Jets' Sad Song too during this time...

Anyway back when radio still played good shit good times and loved that Screaming Trees stuff.  Dust and Down On The Upside the last good releases at the end of that era \m/

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2023, 08:53:30 PM »

I don't see this at all.  Just take a quick example of "We Die Young", "Rooster", "No Excuses", "I Know Somethin' ('Bout You)" and "Black Gives Way To Blue".  That's a pretty wide selection of variety for a mainstream band, and I'm sure I could expand it if I went back through their discography looking for more.  That's a far cry from AC/DC.  Maybe you could argue that Soundgarden is proggier (although AIC has their own moments, just check the time signature of the main riff of "Them Bones"), but AIC is arguably more metal, so I think it's understandable why it would appeal to a segment of DT's fanbase.  Cornell is the best vocalist of the big grunge bands, but Layne is pretty good as well, and honestly none of them come close to Jerry's writing, riffing, or soloing for me.  Add in some great drumming, tasty bass lines, and Jerry's iconic harmony vocals, and it's not a hard decision for me personally. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2023, 09:01:20 PM »

I don't see this at all.  Just take a quick example of "We Die Young", "Rooster", "No Excuses", "I Know Somethin' ('Bout You)" and "Black Gives Way To Blue".  That's a pretty wide selection of variety for a mainstream band, and I'm sure I could expand it if I went back through their discography looking for more.  That's a far cry from AC/DC.  Maybe you could argue that Soundgarden is proggier (although AIC has their own moments, just check the time signature of the main riff of "Them Bones"), but AIC is arguably more metal, so I think it's understandable why it would appeal to a segment of DT's fanbase.  Cornell is the best vocalist of the big grunge bands, but Layne is pretty good as well, and honestly none of them come close to Jerry's writing, riffing, or soloing for me.  Add in some great drumming, tasty bass lines, and Jerry's iconic harmony vocals, and it's not a hard decision for me personally.

The Jar of Flies EP pretty much shatters any comparison to AC/DC.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2023, 12:24:59 AM »
I love AiC but I can see both sides of the argument. AiC definitely has more variety (and imo quality) to their discography than AC/DC, but I also get someone saying they are the most 'samey' out of these bands in this small group. Soundgarden has a pretty interesting mix of styles in their toolbox and they probably made the most interesting albums in terms of different influences, Pearl Jam evolved their sound over decades and have done many different things at this point. Alice in Chains kinda have their sound nailed down and that's what they do.

But I love all 3 of them.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2023, 12:40:55 AM »
I love AiC but I can see both sides of the argument. AiC definitely has more variety (and imo quality) to their discography than AC/DC, but I also get someone saying they are the most 'samey' out of these bands in this small group. Soundgarden has a pretty interesting mix of styles in their toolbox and they probably made the most interesting albums in terms of different influences, Pearl Jam evolved their sound over decades and have done many different things at this point. Alice in Chains kinda have their sound nailed down and that's what they do.

Thanks Zantera. You kind of nailed down what I was going for.  I was just drawing a comparison, but I will concede they do have at least the heavy side and the acoustic side. Nevertheless, they don’t deviate as much as the others do.  They found their “shtick” and they do it well.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2023, 07:40:11 AM »
So did I!

Not sure if it if was the same tour but on the ICON's video Jerry talks a bit about going on tour with VH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT9pwCFMz0k

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2023, 08:12:38 AM »
So did I!

As did I. The F.U.C.K. tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Glasser

« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2023, 10:59:04 AM »
So did I!

After AIC set. A dude with long blonde hair and an all access pass around his neck sat next to me. It was in the lower part of the nosebleed section. It was Jerry Cantrell. He watched a few songs of the VH set there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 11:27:30 AM by Glasser »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2023, 11:26:17 AM »
That's awesome!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2023, 11:37:52 AM »

Thanks Zantera. You kind of nailed down what I was going for.  I was just drawing a comparison, but I will concede they do have at least the heavy side and the acoustic side. Nevertheless, they don’t deviate as much as the others do.  They found their “shtick” and they do it well.

Funny how people hear music. I agree that Alice In Chains don't have that much variation in their records after Layne's death. They have a working formular and they stick to it mostly. But before that they were far from sounding samey imo.

But then, although I really like Soundgarden, I found them to be much more samey in their sound.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2023, 10:00:02 AM »
So did I!

After AIC set. A dude with long blonde hair and an all access pass around his neck sat next to me. It was in the lower part of the nosebleed section. It was Jerry Cantrell. He watched a few songs of the VH set there.
Can't top that.

And while I never did a deep dive on Soundgarden like I did with AIC or PJ, they always felt a lot more "samey" to me than AIC, for sure.  With their single releases, at any rate.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2023, 08:59:04 AM »
I saw Alice in Chains opening for Ozzy.  Layne had a broken leg, so was in a wheelchair or using a crutch for the whole performance. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2023, 11:16:02 AM »
Nirvana’s Iconic “In Utero” Album Celebrates Its 30th Anniversary with Super Deluxe Editions
https://lotsofmuzik.com/nirvanas-iconic-in-utero-album-celebrates-its-30th-anniversary-with-super-deluxe-editions/