Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 102826 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #805 on: October 22, 2017, 04:19:26 AM »
What a brilliant album.  Original, heavy, melodic, very well written and constructed and everything here is done with love and purpose.  Matt's vocals are fucking incredible and the versatility he shows here is insane.  Some of the screams here are his best.  Everything about this album is fantastic, this doesn't disappoint and certainly a top album of the year.  I'm so glad the screaming is back also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: October 22, 2017, 04:46:23 AM »
Just finished my second listen.  Highlights are all of them but if I had to nail down a few, I'd go Sever the Hand, Endless Night, Other Worlds and Betrayer.

Thrown into the Fire is so unique and has such an interesting structure.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:55:36 AM by wolfking »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #807 on: October 22, 2017, 02:15:13 PM »
Yep, left a great first impression, I'll be giving way more listens soon. Confident this will be the Trivium album I've been waiting for them to release  :metal

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #808 on: October 23, 2017, 08:28:32 AM »
What a brilliant album.  Original, heavy, melodic, very well written and constructed and everything here is done with love and purpose.  Matt's vocals are fucking incredible and the versatility he shows here is insane.  Some of the screams here are his best.  Everything about this album is fantastic, this doesn't disappoint and certainly a top album of the year.  I'm so glad the screaming is back also.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Great blend of heavy and melody, good balance of screaming and singing - all wrapped up in interesting yet catchy song structures.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #809 on: October 23, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »
I picked this up late Saturday afternoon, but haven't had a chance to get through it yet.  I'm going to remedy that today.  But I do like what I've heard so far. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #810 on: October 23, 2017, 10:52:48 AM »
I picked this up late Saturday afternoon, but haven't had a chance to get through it yet.  I'm going to remedy that today.  But I do like what I've heard so far.

Interested to hear your thoughts bosk. For me this is easily in their top 3 albums along with In Waves and Shogun.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #811 on: October 23, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
Dat riff in Sever the Hand!  :omg: :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #812 on: October 23, 2017, 03:09:44 PM »
I loved The last album but made it five songs into this before the screaming and the blast beats forced me away.

There was some good stuff in 5here but was there a need for blast beats in every song? Or so it seemed.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: October 23, 2017, 03:24:31 PM »
I loved The last album but made it five songs into this before the screaming and the blast beats forced me away.

There was some good stuff in 5here but was there a need for blast beats in every song? Or so it seemed.

There isn't blast beats in every song.  There's actually not that much in the way of blast beats, but depends what you call blast beats I guess.

I think this is my fav track at the moment.  Yeah, that middle riff is very Iced Earth like.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #814 on: October 23, 2017, 08:45:08 PM »
Still have yet to hear the whole thing but from the few songs I’ve heard it totally blows away the last 2 albums (which I didn’t care for at all)

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #815 on: October 24, 2017, 08:26:14 AM »

Yeah I'd say if screaming and blast beats and/or fast thrashy beats aren't your thing, Silence in the Snow would be a much better listen. That said, I like the balance of screams to clean and groove to thrash on this new record.

I think this is my fav track at the moment.  Yeah, that middle riff is very Iced Earth like.

Sever the Hand is easily top 3 for me right now. Great tune.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #816 on: October 25, 2017, 09:11:22 AM »

Interested to hear your thoughts bosk. For me this is easily in their top 3 albums along with In Waves and Shogun.

Not sure yet.  I like a lot of what I hear.  But two things:  (1) this isn't my usual style, so it takes me awhile to get used to; and (2) I'm undecided on the lyrical content.  Matt's lyrics are very angry, even for him.  And that's fine.  But it is the target of that anger that gives me pause.  I can't tell from the lyrics if they are angry anti-God lyrics or angry anti-religion lyrics.  If the former, I find that offputting, and I'm just not interested.  If the latter, I get it and can respect that. 

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #817 on: October 25, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »

Not sure yet.  I like a lot of what I hear.  But two things:  (1) this isn't my usual style, so it takes me awhile to get used to; and (2) I'm undecided on the lyrical content.  Matt's lyrics are very angry, even for him.  And that's fine.  But it is the target of that anger that gives me pause.  I can't tell from the lyrics if they are angry anti-God lyrics or angry anti-religion lyrics.  If the former, I find that offputting, and I'm just not interested.  If the latter, I get it and can respect that.

I'm with you on that, and I'm still navigating my way through the lyrics as well.

Like you, if it's anti-religion, I get that and to a degree respect it. If it's simply anti-God I don't back that. That said, I'm leaning toward this stuff being mostly anti-religion.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #818 on: October 25, 2017, 09:22:18 AM »
I think that's where it is going too, but it isn't clear, and I don't know enough about Matt to tell.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #819 on: October 25, 2017, 09:25:19 AM »
So far I definitely don't like it as much as Shogun and Ascendancy, some of Matt's vocal deliveries on the clean parts sound offputting to me.

Betrayer though, holy shit, that's one of their best songs, that chorus :hefdaddy. The Wretchedness Inside is also great but a bit too much on the heavy side maybe? I think I would've prefered it if it had some more breathing room, if that makes sense.

Overall, exceeded my expectations after hearing "The Heart From Your Hate", but probably won't reach my top 10-15-whatever albums of the year. This is probably more my fault than Trivium's though :lol I listen to a shitton of new albums every year
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #820 on: October 25, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »
I think that's where it is going too, but it isn't clear, and I don't know enough about Matt to tell.

I really don't either, but from what I've caught the anger in the lyrics seems to be directed at organized religion (preachers, etc...) and judgement cast from those folks. If that's the case, I don't have a huge issue with that, while I think I believe different things than Matt, unfortunately there are a lot of people that have been hurt by churches, leaders, and other folks associated with "religion" and their feelings are definitely valid at times.

Offline coz

« Reply #821 on: October 25, 2017, 10:55:58 AM »
This album is kicking my butt in a good way.  I'm loving Alex's style and sound.
Anybody know whose guitar is in which channel?  I'm thinking Corey is left but not sure.
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #822 on: October 25, 2017, 12:12:57 PM »
This album is kicking my butt in a good way.  I'm loving Alex's style and sound.
Anybody know whose guitar is in which channel?  I'm thinking Corey is left but not sure.

I think Matt follows the classic album-Hetfield rule of thumb for rhythm guitars, meaning Matt does all the rhythms to keep everything as tight as possible. Corey does most of the solos (there are definitely a couple Matt solos on this record) and most of the overdubbed stuff like melody lines, texture lines, flourishes in chorus, etc... 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: October 25, 2017, 02:25:55 PM »
Yeah, there is a lot of Corey, probably 75% Corey and 25% Matt, maybe more Corey. 

I haven't really gotten into the lyrics yet, but I definitely will.

The Wretchedness Inside reeks of Korn to me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: October 26, 2017, 05:07:35 AM »
Thrown Into the Fire video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnjZqQhZYiY

Never would have picked that this song would be picked for a video.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #825 on: November 27, 2017, 08:46:02 AM »
New band called Blacknova formed from 2 ex-Trivium members:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-trivium-members-launch-blacknova/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #826 on: November 27, 2017, 10:36:59 AM »
New band called Blacknova formed from 2 ex-Trivium members:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-trivium-members-launch-blacknova/

Cool.  Other than the fact that two of the members happen to be ex-Trivium, there isn't really a Trivium connection, so I think they should get their own thread once they put some music out there to discuss.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: November 28, 2017, 04:18:21 AM »
New album is still killer and on regular rotation.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #828 on: November 28, 2017, 07:23:47 AM »
New album is still killer and on regular rotation.

Ditto, I've been playing it regularly as well, really good stuff.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #829 on: December 19, 2017, 11:24:23 PM »
Finally got around to picking up TSATS. Holy crap, what a killer album! I didn’t like the last 2 albums but this one is definitely their best since Shogun. I love the first 3 songs, and Sever the Hand and Thrown into the Fire are killer songs as well! This one will be spinning a lot in the coming weeks for sure!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: December 20, 2017, 04:11:49 AM »
Finally got around to picking up TSATS. Holy crap, what a killer album! I didn’t like the last 2 albums but this one is definitely their best since Shogun. I love the first 3 songs, and Sever the Hand and Thrown into the Fire are killer songs as well! This one will be spinning a lot in the coming weeks for sure!

Yeah mate. This is still on regular rotation for me too, really good stuff.  Beyond Oblivion is the one I'd single out as my fav. Has a real Ember to Inferno feel IMO.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #831 on: December 20, 2017, 07:36:23 AM »

Yeah mate. This is still on regular rotation for me too, really good stuff.  Beyond Oblivion is the one I'd single out as my fav. Has a real Ember to Inferno feel IMO.

Same here, I literally listened to this record on my way to work this morning. Beyond Oblivion, Other Worlds, Betrayer, Sever the Hand, and The Revanchist are probably my favorites at this point. That said, I don't think there's a bad song on the record, I skip nothing.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #832 on: December 20, 2017, 08:15:49 AM »
Also, the album artwork has grown on me. I was underwhelmed at first, but I like the simplicity and the fact that each song has its own symbol.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: December 20, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »

Same here, I literally listened to this record on my way to work this morning. Beyond Oblivion, Other Worlds, Betrayer, Sever the Hand, and The Revanchist are probably my favorites at this point. That said, I don't think there's a bad song on the record, I skip nothing.

Funny, Ravenchist is one of my least favs on the album.  Shows the strength of the album I guess.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #834 on: March 04, 2018, 02:26:40 AM »
So I'm listening to Silence in the Snow (fitting as we've been snowed in the last two days) right now. I gotta say I prefer it way more than their latest. The Sin and the Sentence is more in the style of Trivium that I like (compared to SitS) but the songs just aren't as good for me. I just haven't really had the urge to listen to TSatS that much recently.

I get the feeling I may be in the minority here as I know TSatS was pretty well received.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: March 04, 2018, 03:45:15 AM »
So I'm listening to Silence in the Snow (fitting as we've been snowed in the last two days) right now. I gotta say I prefer it way more than their latest. The Sin and the Sentence is more in the style of Trivium that I like (compared to SitS) but the songs just aren't as good for me. I just haven't really had the urge to listen to TSatS that much recently.

I get the feeling I may be in the minority here as I know TSatS was pretty well received.

I like Silence too mate, the songs are great, but I think TSATS trumps it.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #836 on: March 17, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »
Btw, if anyone is interested, Matt Heafy is doing some warm-ups at this moment on his Twitch channel, and Trivium will be doing a live stream of their set in Sweden (as they have done during their current European tour) on this channel.  I enjoy it.  Nice to watch a set of a known band with a live chat, especially on Twitch (the quality is basically Youtube-quality when it comes to video and sound, but hey, it's better than nothing).  I'm just amazed on how Matt just casually goes unclean in his vocals effortlessly in this warm-up.  He stated that their set will be in around 4 hours or so.

https://www.twitch.tv/kiichichaosreigns

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #837 on: August 10, 2018, 01:30:54 AM »
I was listening to Shogun (the song) yesterday and I really wish they would write an 'epic' like that again. It may be my favourite song of theirs nowadays, at least, it's one I play more than pretty much everything else.

Trivium doing a progressive metal album is basically what I want to hear!

Offline Working man

« Reply #838 on: August 10, 2018, 04:45:42 AM »
I saw Trivium at the Heavy MTL festival. They were so tight. Awesome. Truly hoping Alex Bent on drums will be staying for a long time. This would give them a chance to start exploring. Obviously, they are great songwriters.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #839 on: August 10, 2018, 08:26:19 AM »
I like some of what I have heard from them, but not everything clicks.  But Matt Heafy is such an interesting guy.  I could listen to him all day.  Here is a cool clinic he did via Twitch:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h79msFB35J8