Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 103671 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #770 on: August 25, 2017, 07:44:10 AM »
Not sure what to think of that one yet.  At first, I was like, "Oh, this mellowness is kinda cool, which should be a great contrast once the chorus kicks in."  But then the chorus stayed very minimalist and didn't ramp the song up like I thought it was going to.  It just kinda stays with that minimalist vibe all the way through.  That's different for them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #771 on: September 07, 2017, 08:36:29 AM »
The making of the new record, part 1 of 4 - focuses on the drums, pretty cool stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV5dxzm8ZgY

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #772 on: September 07, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »
Hey guys, what album should I check out if I've never really heard Trivium before?

I'm seeing them with Arch Enemy this fall because a friend of mine bought the tickets if he said I'd go, but I don't know anything about their music. Shogun is the only album name I can remember. Is that good? Do they play much from that live? The vocals usually make or break a band for me but I don't know anything about Matt Heafy other than he guested on a Dragonforce record, but you can't even hear him in the mix, so...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #773 on: September 07, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »
Hey guys, what album should I check out if I've never really heard Trivium before?

I think most would recommend Shogun.  For me, personally, as a casual fan, I really like In Waves and Vengeance Falls. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #774 on: September 07, 2017, 11:09:26 AM »

I think most would recommend Shogun.  For me, personally, as a casual fan, I really like In Waves and Vengeance Falls.

I'd say In Waves would be a great start, but Shogun would be good as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #775 on: September 07, 2017, 11:24:43 AM »

When I listen to them, I sometimes can't help but playing the mental game of, "If I had to chose one song to recommend to a potential fan to give them a flavor for the band, what would it be?"  My answer to myself is Caustic Are the Ties That Bind, from In Waves.  The reason being, I think it is a great song for showcasing many of the band's different sides all in one song:  their softer side with smooth melodic singing; their rocking melodic side; their aggressive but non-screamy metal side; and their more extreme metal side.  Even though the song is only 5:34, it has a lot of changes and hits on all four of those different sides of the band, and does so very well, IMO.  And it's a really good song in and of itself as well.  It isn't my "favorite" song of theirs.  But for those reasons, I kind of view it as their "signature" song.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #776 on: September 07, 2017, 11:35:19 AM »
I personally would say the Capsizing the Sea intro and the title track of In Waves is a good start to listen to Trivium.  Then again, I only heard their stuff from In Waves onwards, mainly due to being too lazy to listen to the stuff before that.  I just like that those two tracks and it's a good start to the album.

Plus, it's their closer to their shows.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #777 on: September 07, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »

When I listen to them, I sometimes can't help but playing the mental game of, "If I had to chose one song to recommend to a potential fan to give them a flavor for the band, what would it be?"  My answer to myself is Caustic Are the Ties That Bind, from In Waves.  The reason being, I think it is a great song for showcasing many of the band's different sides all in one song:  their softer side with smooth melodic singing; their rocking melodic side; their aggressive but non-screamy metal side; and their more extreme metal side.  Even though the song is only 5:34, it has a lot of changes and hits on all four of those different sides of the band, and does so very well, IMO.  And it's a really good song in and of itself as well.  It isn't my "favorite" song of theirs.  But for those reasons, I kind of view it as their "signature" song.

Good call, I can't argue with that reasoning.

I personally would say the Capsizing the Sea intro and the title track of In Waves is a good start to listen to Trivium.  Then again, I only heard their stuff from In Waves onwards, mainly due to being too lazy to listen to the stuff before that.  I just like that those two tracks and it's a good start to the album.

Plus, it's their closer to their shows.

Dude, if you have the time check out Shogun, great album.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #778 on: September 07, 2017, 02:53:46 PM »
I'd say Shogun as well. Ascendancy is my #2 pick and I'd imagine they probably play more from that album live.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: September 07, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »
Thanks, I'll check out some songs from Shogun :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #780 on: September 07, 2017, 03:20:41 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EApnhO2OIrw

Good song.  But it also epitomizes why I don't really get into their pre-In Waves material.  I know the stuff after Shogun has a lot of screams as well, but on the earlier stuff, it seems to predominate and not be done as well.  For some reason, it just stands out and grates on me more on the earlier stuff. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:26:57 PM by bosk1 »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: September 08, 2017, 12:51:53 PM »
Well darn. I listened to a few of the songs from Shogun last night (including DFTS, which apparently I have heard, because my friend showed me that back in '08 I believe) but Matt's voice ruins it for me, I don't like that style of growling/screaming he does and the cleans don't resonate with me. But I gave them a shot. Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #782 on: September 08, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »
Well darn. I listened to a few of the songs from Shogun last night (including DFTS, which apparently I have heard, because my friend showed me that back in '08 I believe) but Matt's voice ruins it for me, I don't like that style of growling/screaming he does and the cleans don't resonate with me. But I gave them a shot. Thanks for the suggestions!

If you don't like his screams, check out Silence In the Snow (album). He sings clean vocals the entire record.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: October 16, 2017, 04:35:48 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #784 on: October 17, 2017, 02:22:01 AM »
New Trivium song;

Wow. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHp5malMvHE

This new album kinda slipped off my radar a little, this has brought it right back  :metal  looking forward to this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: October 17, 2017, 05:05:48 AM »
New Trivium song;

Wow. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHp5malMvHE

This new album kinda slipped off my radar a little, this has brought it right back  :metal  looking forward to this.

Out this weekend too!   :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #786 on: October 17, 2017, 09:18:19 AM »
Wow that track was killer. I'm officially way more excited for this album on Friday than I am for the SoA album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: October 17, 2017, 04:45:14 PM »
I've been spinning this new song quite a few times now and it's so original and creative from Trivium.  Very well written and executed.  So looking forward to this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #788 on: October 17, 2017, 05:33:33 PM »
Interesting.  I listened twice and didn't care for it at all either time.  But The Sin and the Sentence, on the other hand, grabbed me right away.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: October 17, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »
Interesting.  I listened twice and didn't care for it at all either time.  But The Sin and the Sentence, on the other hand, grabbed me right away.

Sin and the Sentence is brilliant.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #790 on: October 17, 2017, 05:36:24 PM »
The Heart From Your Hate is pretty good too, but very different for them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: October 17, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »

I didn't like this one at first to be honest, but then it got stuck in my head.  I'm fine with it now but glad every song isn't that style.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #792 on: October 18, 2017, 07:07:04 AM »

I didn't like this one at first to be honest, but then it got stuck in my head.  I'm fine with it now but glad every song isn't that style.

Me too. I've really liked Sin and the Sentence and Betrayer. The Heart From Your Hate was a little bit of a let down on first listen, but then grew on me.

I'm really looking forward to this record based off those three songs though, I hear elements of Silence in Snow, In Waves, and Shogun - which is awesome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: October 18, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »

Me too. I've really liked Sin and the Sentence and Betrayer. The Heart From Your Hate was a little bit of a let down on first listen, but then grew on me.

I'm really looking forward to this record based off those three songs though, I hear elements of Silence in Snow, In Waves, and Shogun - which is awesome.

It definitely sounds like a nice mix.  I was afraid even though Snow was a great album that the screaming was gone for good.  I'm glad that's not the case.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #794 on: October 18, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »
Really excited for this album. Love the dynamic structures of TSATS and Betrayer. Feels like the closest to Shogun they've got since that album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: October 18, 2017, 03:18:22 PM »
Really excited for this album. Love the dynamic structures of TSATS and Betrayer. Feels like the closest to Shogun they've got since that album.

Betrayer I feel is so original for them, but definitely leans towards the Shogun style of things.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #796 on: October 18, 2017, 03:49:42 PM »
Listening to it now.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #797 on: October 18, 2017, 11:49:15 PM »
I'm also excited for this one. I really liked the songs that has been released for now and I'm hoping that vinyl version will be sounding like Trivium previous album. Silence In The Snow was so perfect pressed on vinyl, I was blasted away when I listened to it. And it's hard to get a new album on vinyl nowadays that really sounds like a vinyl. So. I'm very looking forward to it.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #798 on: October 19, 2017, 07:13:58 AM »

Betrayer I feel is so original for them, but definitely leans towards the Shogun style of things.

I totally agree wolf. My first thought listening to that track was that the arrangement and parts surprised me (in a good way) yet at the same time had a familiar Shogun-ish style.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: October 19, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »

I totally agree wolf. My first thought listening to that track was that the arrangement and parts surprised me (in a good way) yet at the same time had a familiar Shogun-ish style.

Yep, a well crafted, original piece but in true Trivium fashion.  Really mature and fantastic songwriting.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #800 on: October 20, 2017, 09:51:36 AM »
Just listened to the album once through. My first impression is really good, my initial thought is that this is probably their best since at least In Waves. Really strong stuff.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #801 on: October 20, 2017, 12:11:04 PM »
Wow, sorry for the double post but The Wretchedness Inside is soooooo good.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: October 20, 2017, 03:06:30 PM »
Great to read man.  :metal

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #803 on: October 21, 2017, 07:19:33 AM »
AOTY. Better than Shogun.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #804 on: October 21, 2017, 01:32:47 PM »
Great album. Blends the technicality/aggression of Shogun with the accessibility of Silence