Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 103756 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #630 on: July 31, 2015, 04:29:21 PM »
I hope Matt just does harsh vocals to emphasise a section.

I like the harsh vocals on Brave This Storm. It made that section really stand out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #631 on: August 02, 2015, 04:12:13 AM »
I'll take anything.  Crusade has aged not too badly though, considering that only has a few lines of scream in the whole thing, it's still pretty enjoyable IMO.  Hopefully if they have left the screams totally out, we don't feel like the songs are missing them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cable

« Reply #632 on: August 02, 2015, 06:14:02 PM »
I hope Matt just does harsh vocals to emphasise a section.

I like the harsh vocals on Brave This Storm. It made that section really stand out.

Aye, those screams really make that section hit hard, and consequently is the diamond among a bunch of cubic zirconia.

The new track was much better on second listen, and I really respect what the band has said about the style. I will not buy the album on release, but will buy it if samples are solid. And I am assuming there will be an HDTracks version, so I might wait for that.
---

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #633 on: August 13, 2015, 05:16:42 PM »
Trivium - Blind Leading The Blind (Audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxyYExgn0SE&feature=youtu.be

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: August 13, 2015, 05:27:07 PM »
Looks like the screams are gone.  Even though I'm disappointed, this song is decent, even if it does lack a bit of edge Trivium are able to provide.  If the songs can stack up, the lack of screams might not be a big concern.

I just don't understand when bands completely turn their backs on what made them so popular and distinguishable in their sound.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #635 on: August 13, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »
I don't really care for it much, actually.  Not liking this album nearly as much as the last two so far.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: August 13, 2015, 05:36:15 PM »
I really enjoyed the first song though, it's much better than this one.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #637 on: August 14, 2015, 06:59:15 AM »
I really enjoyed the first song though, it's much better than this one.

I'd agree the first one was better, but I still really liked the second as well. Digging Matts voice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: August 20, 2015, 06:50:04 PM »
Fucking stupid new video.  Don't understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVpU-OXrg1c

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #639 on: August 21, 2015, 10:47:02 AM »
Well, then.  That was quite the interesting video.  Seeing a bunch of middle-aged people "playing" a Trivium song was so weird.  Seeing old people in the crowd enjoying a Trivium song was also weird to see as well.  I still like the song a great amount though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: August 21, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »
Heafy said on Twitter that the band is "old" trivium and the peophe in the crowd are "old" fans who want Trivium to be the same thing every time whilst the band just go about their business like always.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: August 21, 2015, 04:48:17 PM »
Heafy said on Twitter that the band is "old" trivium and the peophe in the crowd are "old" fans who want Trivium to be the same thing every time whilst the band just go about their business like always.

They didn't portray that very well.  Heafy sounds like he rebelling too much in the opposite direction.  I don't think fans want the same old Trivium, most of their albums have been quite varied, we just don't want a signiture part of the sound totally wiped as it what gave them a sound and an edge.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #642 on: August 21, 2015, 06:26:59 PM »
I actually thought it was really funny.  I liked it.  The only thing I found confusing was Paolo's David Lee Roth shirt.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #643 on: August 27, 2015, 10:22:16 AM »
New Trivium song.  It's called Until The World Goes Cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm-xlwkQ_qc

If you didn't like the first two that they released for the new album,  you might not like this one as a caution.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #644 on: August 27, 2015, 11:29:28 AM »
Loving it. I'm definitely going to need to pick this record up when it comes out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: August 27, 2015, 11:38:40 AM »
Yeah. Expanding on what i wrote on twitter. I don't give a fuck if they go more mainstream or drop the screaming.

It's all about the songs.

I like the 3 new songs and don't give 1% of a shit if there's no "br00tal" death growls or Drop G djenty riffingz

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: August 27, 2015, 07:11:20 PM »
That's a pretty damn good song.  3 videos a month before the release seems pretty nuts though.  just an observation.

Offline Cable

« Reply #647 on: August 28, 2015, 07:33:38 PM »
Looks like the screams are gone.  Even though I'm disappointed, this song is decent, even if it does lack a bit of edge Trivium are able to provide.  If the songs can stack up, the lack of screams might not be a big concern.

I just don't understand when bands completely turn their backs on what made them so popular and distinguishable in their sound.

I like to compare what Matt is doing vocal wise to Mikael Akerfeldt. Mik for whatever reason didn't really dig doing growls on albums anymore. That, and replicating Camel a lot. Luckily, both Opeth and Trivium seem to still play the older songs.

Also though, and I think Matt fits into this too, Mik was afraid of destroying his voice. I do recall Matt throwing his voice out last tour. So it might be some of their tastes shifting, but also preservation of his voice. I think if Corey didn't start doing the screams (not sure when he started), Matt would have progressed really negatively quickly, ala Phil Anselmo.

While I for sure prefer stuff like off Ascendancy and Shogun vocal wise, I respect his approach and outlook. Bands morph and change, or at least most do. And they change things up to keep it fresh for them. Otherwise they would split- which I get doing that if a signature sound is gone.

Unlike Opeth, Trivium's shift is not as abrupt and noticeable. It's not like they are gutting aggressive instrumentation.
---

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: August 30, 2015, 05:26:46 PM »

I like to compare what Matt is doing vocal wise to Mikael Akerfeldt. Mik for whatever reason didn't really dig doing growls on albums anymore. That, and replicating Camel a lot. Luckily, both Opeth and Trivium seem to still play the older songs.

Also though, and I think Matt fits into this too, Mik was afraid of destroying his voice. I do recall Matt throwing his voice out last tour. So it might be some of their tastes shifting, but also preservation of his voice. I think if Corey didn't start doing the screams (not sure when he started), Matt would have progressed really negatively quickly, ala Phil Anselmo.

While I for sure prefer stuff like off Ascendancy and Shogun vocal wise, I respect his approach and outlook. Bands morph and change, or at least most do. And they change things up to keep it fresh for them. Otherwise they would split- which I get doing that if a signature sound is gone.

Unlike Opeth, Trivium's shift is not as abrupt and noticeable. It's not like they are gutting aggressive instrumentation.

Matt was blowing his voice since Ascendancy, hence why Crusade had next to no screams.  It was actually a surprise when Shogun came out as it was fears the screams were gone since then if I remember correctly.

That last sentance there is the reason why I'm still quite excited for the album.  Seems just as heavy if not heavier so I'm still respecting what they are doing.

Offline Cable

« Reply #649 on: September 07, 2015, 06:05:22 PM »
New Trivium song.  It's called Until The World Goes Cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm-xlwkQ_qc

If you didn't like the first two that they released for the new album,  you might not like this one as a caution.

This track is awesome.  :tup Sounds like nothing they have ever done vocally. It doesn't even sound like Matt, although I know Paulo is backing the whole thing at least per the video. 7 string goodness too.  :metal

When did Paulo start getting tat'ed up btw?
---

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #650 on: September 24, 2015, 07:15:10 AM »
After reading this thread I have realised that I appear to be one of the Trivium fans in the minority who prefer The Crusade over In Waves (so shoot me). My story is probably similar to most, I became aware of Trivium in 2005 when there was lots of hype surrounding them. I got Ascendancy and fell in love with it, still love it. 2005 was really an incredible year for music and especially metal (seriously, wiki the albums released that year, the class of 2005 were strong) so after loving their second album I eagerly awaited their third.

The Crusade was a shift in style, they were never shy about admitting their love for Metallica and being a huge Metallica fan myself I wasn't complaining. I still preferred Ascendancy but loved some of the songs on The Crusade (Entrance of the Conflagration and And Sadness will Sear especially). When Shogun came out I was still hyped on them and although I didn't love it at first it has grown to be my #2 album.

However when In Waves came out I was REALLY underwhelmed. Even now I struggle to name one song other than the title track. I don't know what it was, I knew it sounded good and thought it would grow but it never did. Nothing really grabs me in any of the songs. I just thought it was very bland. I kind of lost interest in Trivium after this  but always kept my eye on them. When they released the first single off their last album (Vengance Falls?) I thought I would give it a listen on Spotify. It immediately struck me how much Matt sounded like he was trying to sing like the guy from Disturbed. I did some research and realised the David Draiman was producing the album and that his influence was going to be all over it. This turned me off big style as I think Disturbed are well overrated and I am not a fan at all. I never even gave the album a chance.

Jump forward to this year and one of Trivium's singles pops up on my FB news feed. I thought "I'll give it a go, what have I got to lose." I was pleasantly surprised and really liked it, I have since checked out the other videos they have released and am actually really looking forward to the new album (Anyone else?). Something about it just feels right, sometimes for me the imagery that goes with an album (Album art, band image etc) can really help sell  it to me and there is something about the new release that intrigues me.

Anyway, what I am trying to say I guess is that after losing faith in Trivium over two albums (one of which appears to be somewhat of a favourite with a lot of people on here judging by this thread??) I am feeling that I am really getting the urge to get back into them. I have been spinning In Waves over the last few days and I am starting to warm to it a bit. I am looking forward to the new album and will probably buy it on release day. I am also proud to say that I prefer The Crusade over In Waves (I can't be the only one). My album ranking is as follows:

1. Ascendancy
2. Shogun
3. The Crusade
4. Ember to Inferno
5. In Waves

6. Vengance Falls? (Baring in mind I haven't even listened to it but judging from the comments on here I've probably made the right call)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: September 24, 2015, 03:32:51 PM »
6. Vengance Falls? (Baring in mind I haven't even listened to it but judging from the comments on here I've probably made the right call)

Your ranking an album based on comments yet you haven't heard it?  oooookkay.  There was actually quite a bit of praise for it around here iirc.

And no, you haven't made the right call, it's a cracker of an album.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #652 on: September 24, 2015, 03:35:16 PM »
I'm told the new album is non-growlie.  I'm actually intrigued to check it out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: September 24, 2015, 03:37:09 PM »
I'm told the new album is non-growlie.  I'm actually intrigued to check it out.

Don't know if you know any of their previous stuff, but from the three songs that have come out, it's definitely something you'd like Chad.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #654 on: September 24, 2015, 03:49:55 PM »
I checked them out a few years back when they opened for DT.  I liked the music, but the growls/screams turned me off.  So, clean vocals can only improve their chances with me.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: September 24, 2015, 03:54:38 PM »
The Crusade is their other album with minimal growls, but the new one is sounding solid.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #656 on: September 24, 2015, 08:18:07 PM »
Shogun
Ascendancy
In Waves

Everything else

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #657 on: September 24, 2015, 08:53:40 PM »
In Waves is my favorite.

Offline Cable

« Reply #658 on: September 24, 2015, 09:28:29 PM »
Shogun
Ascendancy
In Waves

Everything else

Correct.  :tup
---

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: September 25, 2015, 02:09:41 AM »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #660 on: September 25, 2015, 02:11:00 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: September 25, 2015, 07:33:16 AM »
Shogun is massively over rated in my opinion.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: September 25, 2015, 03:41:40 PM »
Shogun is massively over rated in my opinion.

I disagree.  It's amazing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: October 05, 2015, 03:46:53 AM »
So I was on iTunes and noticed i'd bought all the "singles" from Silence In The Snow - so now the whole special edition album was only £7 so I thought F it and bought it.

I'll listen to it on a walk later :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: October 05, 2015, 04:46:38 AM »
Listening to this cd for the first time right now.