Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 103725 times)

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
Re: Trivium
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 06:04:49 PM »
Ember to Inferno in a fantastic record. And remember Heafy was like 17 when they made that, and he did all vocals plus lead guitar.

I just listened to the new track, and I actually think it's really great! Nothing groundbreaking, as has been mentioned, but that's a great groove, had me headbanging on the second listen. I think their strength lies in making aggressive and heavy tracks rather than the long 'epics' they had on Shogun. In fact, if I recall correctly I read an interview with Heafy where he said they wouldn't have songs that long (Shogun) on the new album. That said, I wouldn't mind something along the lines of The Crusade (song) again.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 06:35:31 PM »
It's really great to see so many positive views on these guys!!  :tup

For serious. I honestly didn't expect this thread to get more than 8 or 9 replies.

And concerning Travis...if I recall correctly, he didn't leave the band. His ass got fired for some reason.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 06:48:42 PM »
Ember to Inferno in a fantastic record. And remember Heafy was like 17 when they made that, and he did all vocals plus lead guitar.

I just listened to the new track, and I actually think it's really great! Nothing groundbreaking, as has been mentioned, but that's a great groove, had me headbanging on the second listen. I think their strength lies in making aggressive and heavy tracks rather than the long 'epics' they had on Shogun. In fact, if I recall correctly I read an interview with Heafy where he said they wouldn't have songs that long (Shogun) on the new album. That said, I wouldn't mind something along the lines of The Crusade (song) again.

Ember to Inferno, IMO is amazing.  What an agressive record with some really great melodies.  Matt was sure finding his way.

New track IMO after 3 or 4 listens is amazing!!!  I love it!  Great balance of what Trivium are known for with a nice splash of their roots.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »
It's really great to see so many positive views on these guys!!  :tup

For serious. I honestly didn't expect this thread to get more than 8 or 9 replies.

And concerning Travis...if I recall correctly, he didn't leave the band. His ass got fired for some reason.

Was just going to post this.  I also thought he was just slacking off and showing less intrest in the band, and they fired him.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 12:40:53 AM »

Matt said there's no instrumental this time  :/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 02:25:12 AM »

That's cool with me, Crusade was good but nothing amazing IMO.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2011, 01:31:37 AM »
Listening to Shogun right now. I listened to the new song and didn't really care for it, but I'm glad I picked this up. It's really good so far. I can always count on this board to introduce me to stuff that I might otherwise overlook*.  :tup

*Because it's not kvlt enough.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2011, 01:48:45 AM »
Yeah, Shogun is a fantastic album!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2011, 02:32:49 AM »
Yeah I think Shogun has overtaken Ascendancy for number 1 spot.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2011, 08:20:47 AM »

I can live without it.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2011, 09:42:31 AM »
Quote from Matt Heafy's twitter
"If anyone comes to rockaholic right now- we're about to play the whole new album. In the bar. Now. Btw it's called "in waves". Bam. Leaked!"

Whooo, so the new albums called In Waves and they're playing it full today!!!!! I hope someone records it

SOOOO EXCITE
 :hat :hat :hat

Offline JosephAOI

• DTF's resident Jewish Ninja
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2011, 09:51:03 AM »
Trivium was one of the first bands to get me into metal! Personally, In Waves was a huge dissapointment to me after hearing 'Shattering The Skies Above' though.

1. Ascendancy
2. Ember To Inferno
3. Shogun
4. The Crusade

I remember when I was really getting into Trivium when I got Ascendancy and I absolutely LOVED it. Then I heard the title track of The Crusade and I puked a little in my mouth. It was sad to me how much they had departed from their style on their first two albums to try to be Metallica clones. To this day, the only song I can listen to from The Crusade is 'Becoming The Dragon'. Haven't listened to Shogun much though so I probably should soon.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 10:45:22 AM »
Hmm. In Waves is a great song title, but it seems weak to be the album title.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2011, 10:50:36 AM »
Yeah I thought so too, but oh well!  :biggrin:

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »
Hmm. In Waves is a great song title, but it seems weak to be the album title.
Maybe the aggression on the album will come at you In Waves

No.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »
Hmmm.....never expected that as the album title, but oh well, I'm sure it will kick ass anyway.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2011, 08:56:45 PM »
Just listened to Ascendancy... not sure whether I prefer it or Shogun, tbh. Both really good albums.

I feel like there could be some more room to breathe on both albums, though. The slower parts of Shogun (the title track) were fantastic and made the song flow so much better, and I feel like if they had more sections (or even a song of that caliber) then they could craft a really good album.

Looking forward to the new release; In Waves is a pretty good title, and the song is pretty awesome itself, so full speed ahead.

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »
You know what songs are awesome? Ashes and If I Could Collapse The Masses both from Ember To Inferno. I love how creepy and eerie yet how beautiful Ashes is and I LOVE the chorus in IICCTM. My favorite songs are probably Shattering The Skies Above or Drowned And Torn Asunder though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2011, 05:53:05 AM »
Drowned and Town Asunder is one of my very favourites also.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2011, 10:44:39 AM »
Their cover of Master of Puppets is the boss.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2011, 11:09:54 AM »
Yeah, it's a really cool cover. It struck a nice balance between staying faithful to the original, while also doing it their own way.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »
Do you guys think the artwork on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TriviumOfficial?sk=app_178091127385 is the artwork for the new album?

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2011, 01:20:57 PM »
EGGG WHIIIIIIIIIIIIITES
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »
I'm betting it is the new album art. It looks like it. Dissapointed if it is. Already dissapointed about it being called 'In Waves'. Pretty boring album title IMO.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:21 PM »
I actually take back what I said about the title. I like it now. :lol But yeah, I hope that's not the album cover. It's so bland.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2011, 04:10:35 PM »
I like the image in the background, just not the logo or the title. Perhaps the cover for the single release?
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »
Yeah... I really hope that isn't the album cover. It's probably just for the single release, as was mentioned.

I do hope they don't forgo all of the more 'complex instrumentation and compositions" on this album, as I really liked Shogun all the way through. I'm hoping for a combination of Ascendancy and Shogun, really, but I'm not being too hopeful.

I also hope they continue to use interesting titles... A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation is one of my favorite song titles, ever. 

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2011, 05:07:22 PM »
I'm hoping for a combination of Ascendancy and Shogun, really, but I'm not being too hopeful.  

Interesting you say that, because Shogun was basically a combination of Ascendency and The Crusade. ;)

Anyway. I'm liking In Waves more every time I listen to it. It's so damn simplistic, but that's what I like about it. We know Trivium can be really flashy and technical, but this song is them relaxing a bit and clearly enjoying themselves. I hope the album is full of songs like this one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
Agree Gadough, I'm in love with the song, it's perfect.  I'd also be happy with a full album of this style.

As for the artwork, I like the simplicity and the atmosphere of it.  I don't believe it would be the album cover, perhaps the single, but if it is, I'm sure we'll learn to live with it.  Speaking of artwork, I was never fond of Shogun's artwork in the first place, I'd actually take this new one over it.

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2011, 06:22:07 PM »
I'm hoping for a combination of Ascendancy and Shogun, really, but I'm not being too hopeful.  

Interesting you say that, because Shogun was basically a combination of Ascendency and The Crusade. ;)
MOAR ASCENDANCY  ;D

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2011, 10:32:47 PM »
This new song sounds more like Ascendency than anything on Shogun did, so you may get your wish.

Offline JosephAOI

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
I hope so but I hope it's more interesting than In Waves. Shattering The Skies Above raised my expectations way higher than they should be. It's an absolutely fantastic song in almost every way.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2011, 12:37:28 PM »

01. Capsizing The Sea
02. In Waves
03. Inception Of The End
04. Watch The World Burn
05. Dusk Dismantled
06. Black
07. Built To Fall
08. Caustic Are the Ties That Bind
09. A Skyline's Severance
10. Forsake Not the Dream
11. Chaos Reigns
12. Of All These Yesterdays
13. Leaving This World Behind

August 9th, 2011

https://www.trivium.org/board_posts/in-waves-the-new-album

So stoked!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2011, 12:54:41 PM »
Actually a bit surprised about the cover, doesn't look very typical Trivium at all.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2011, 01:08:14 PM »
Special edition:

01. Capsizing the Sea
02. In Waves
03. Inception of the End
04. Dusk Dismantled
05. Watch the World Burn
06. Black
07. A Skyline's Severance