247 (40.4%)
It's good
198 (32.4%)
It's O.K.
107 (17.5%)
Never Enough
27 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 593

Author Topic: Black Clouds & Silver Linings: Reactions  (Read 133853 times)

Offline razorsedge

Re: Black Clouds & Silver Linings: Reactions
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 09:42:41 AM »
The only problem I have with the album is The Count of Tuscany's lyrics. Overall, a MUCH better album than SC :metal

4 thumbs up :neverusethis:

i have to agree, i've never really had an opinion about dt's lyrics until this album.  i've never had a problem with their lyrics, becasue even with their weaker efforts, i could sing along without a problem. but, i have to say that the lyrics to TCoT are actually very distracting to me. when i first heard the lyrics i could not sing along without laughing.  i guess thats changing, i really love the chorus, i think its really strong, one of the best i know of to sing along to ("I...want to stay alIVE..) but the lyrics, imo, are just not good.  oh well, im sure they will lose their novelty and i'll sing along with a problem, at some poitn, but for now :lol

keys and gates. That's some fantasy shit right there.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 09:44:23 AM »
I'm going to review this album with food metaphors.

Some of the songs are mediocre sandwiches.  The Count of Tuscany is a mediocre sandwich with the mediocre spread really thin in the middle, but with luscious, fresh baked loaves of delicious bread.  The Best of Times has the mediocre spread a lot thicker, so that it sort of overwhelms the delicious bread taste.

Some songs are good sandwiches dipped in Mediocre au jus.  A Nightmare to Remember starts off really strong, and gets even better as you reach the middle of the sandwich, but then you reach the Mediocre sauce at about 8:30 and it only gets stronger as it moves towards the end.  The Shattered Fortress starts OK, remains OK until you hit that mediocre taste towards the end.

And some songs are jelly beans.  They're short, sort of sweet, but really fail to distinguish themselves either way.  Wither and a Rite of Passage fall into this category.

Overall, a decent album, but it can be difficult to listen to some songs because they tend to get dragged down one way or another.  However, definitely some brilliant parts, and one brilliant song in the Count.

3/5

That's going to be your thing from now on. I don't even give a shit what you say.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 09:44:34 AM »
SUCKING ON HIS PIPE

pure brilliance. and I'm not even kidding. That shit is fucking hilarious.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 09:45:04 AM »
The only problem I have with the album is The Count of Tuscany's lyrics. Overall, a MUCH better album than SC :metal

4 thumbs up :neverusethis:

i have to agree, i've never really had an opinion about dt's lyrics until this album.  i've never had a problem with their lyrics, becasue even with their weaker efforts, i could sing along without a problem. but, i have to say that the lyrics to TCoT are actually very distracting to me. when i first heard the lyrics i could not sing along without laughing.  i guess thats changing, i really love the chorus, i think its really strong, one of the best i know of to sing along to ("I...want to stay alIVE..) but the lyrics, imo, are just not good.  oh well, im sure they will lose their novelty and i'll sing along with a problem, at some poitn, but for now :lol
YES. I love the chorus

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 09:46:02 AM »

Some of the songs are mediocre sandwiches.  The Count of Tuscany is a mediocre sandwich with the mediocre spread really thin in the middle, but with luscious, fresh baked loaves of delicious bread.  The Best of Times has the mediocre spread a lot thicker, so that it sort of overwhelms the delicious bread taste.

Some songs are good sandwiches dipped in Mediocre au jus.  A Nightmare to Remember starts off really strong, and gets even better as you reach the middle of the sandwich, but then you reach the Mediocre sauce at about 8:30 and it only gets stronger as it moves towards the end.  The Shattered Fortress starts OK, remains OK until you hit that mediocre taste towards the end.

And some songs are jelly beans.  They're short, sort of sweet, but really fail to distinguish themselves either way.  Wither and a Rite of Passage fall into this category.

Overall, a decent album, but it can be difficult to listen to some songs because they tend to get dragged down one way or another.  However, definitely some brilliant parts, and one brilliant song in the Count.

3/5

That's going to be your thing from now on. I don't even give a shit what you say.

This. I won't read another post by him that's not in food metaphors.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 10:01:47 AM »
Up there with the best. What was annoying with DT recently is that they always had those pretty bad songs in each of their last releases. On this album I consider every song as great.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »

3/5

:clap:

The greatest post ever? I think so.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 10:06:40 AM »
Well, no.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 10:06:54 AM »
My verdict:

A Nightmare to Remember - 4.5/5 - Very, very good opening song with some brilliant time signatures. My only gripe is that it's atleast 1 or 2 minutes too long, especially at the climax. Gotta love the clean section with LaBrie!

A Right of Passage - 3.5/5 - Worst song on the album, but still a good song. Definitely better than Constant Motion. Nice solos by JP and JR.

Wither - 4/5 - Great little single. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Shattered Fortress - 4/5 - Brings back fond memories of the other songs and introduces some nice guitar work and drumming. Very good song and 2nd best from the 4 previous AA songs. (The Glass Prison is better)

The Best of Times - 4/5 - Again, a couple of minutes too long but a brilliant song. I find the lyrics are a bit too simple and cheesy, but given the emotional involvement of this song, it's not fair to critique too much.

The Count of Tuscanny - 5/5 - Best song on the album, one of the best epics DT have done. Although, it has to be said, the lyrics are completely ridiculous and cheesy. The ending to this song will remain a favourite of mine for years to come, i'm sure. Some awesome drumming by Portnoy and that final guitar solo! Top stuff.

Overall 4.25/5 - Best album since Six Degrees.

Final Standings:

Scenes From A Memory
Images and Words
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Awake
Train of Thought
Octavarium
Systematic Chaos
Falling Into Infinity
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 10:08:45 AM »
Up there with the best. What was annoying with DT recently is that they always had those pretty bad songs in each of their last releases. On this album I consider every song as great.

Agree with that. I think it's the most consistant album since Scenes.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2009, 10:09:15 AM »
Nightmare to Remember - When I first listened to it, I thought it was awful. I was devastated and thought the DT might have made something worse than SC, but I was very wrong. This is fast becoming a top 20 DT song for me.

Rite of Passage - Very average. Good parts, but overall doesn't hold it's own.

Wither - Should have been the first single. Sounds like the band wanted a rest from all the wankery, and I don't blame them. Can't wait to see this one live.

Shattered Fortress - I quite like the way they have mixed previous songs in. Granted, there are a few sections that don't quite fit, but I do enjoy it.  

The Best of Time - Awful. Can't stand this song. Lyrics make me want to punch the CD.

The Count of Tuscany - Possibly my favourite song on the album. I don't find the lyrics cheesy, but then I have been getting in to fantasy lyrics a lot recently. After the mellow bit the song reminds me of an opera. Don't quite know why, but the way JLB sings in the ending is just...  :metal
Oh, and there is a guitar part that reminds me of Rush A LOT at the start. Anyone else find this?

1:4/5
2:3/5
3:3.5/5
4:3.5/5
5:2/5
6:5/5

Overall it's a 4/5 i think.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2009, 10:15:43 AM »
Nightmare to Remember - When I first listened to it, I thought it was awful. I was devastated and thought the DT might have made something worse than SC, but I was very wrong. This is fast becoming a top 20 DT song for me.

Rite of Passage - Very average. Good parts, but overall doesn't hold it's own.

Wither - Should have been the first single. Sounds like the band wanted a rest from all the wankery, and I don't blame them. Can't wait to see this one live.

Shattered Fortress - I quite like the way they have mixed previous songs in. Granted, there are a few sections that don't quite fit, but I do enjoy it.  

The Best of Time - Awful. Can't stand this song. Lyrics make me want to punch the CD.

The Count of Tuscany - Possibly my favourite song on the album. I don't find the lyrics cheesy, but then I have been getting in to fantasy lyrics a lot recently. After the mellow bit the song reminds me of an opera. Don't quite know why, but the way JLB sings in the ending is just...  :metal
Oh, and there is a guitar part that reminds me of Rush A LOT at the start. Anyone else find this?

1:4/5
2:3/5
3:3.5/5
4:3.5/5
5:2/5
6:5/5

Overall it's a 4/5 i think.

How can you say that? You can't hate those lyrics that much. It's a beautiful "letter" (sort of) written to his father. It's pretty simple written, but it's still beautiful. I don't see any reason why you could hate it.

Offline Amoniz

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2009, 10:17:17 AM »
"It's up there with the best of them"

I think the songwriting & the harmonies are the best things on BC&SL.
I also agree that it's their best work since 6DOIT.

my top fav. DT albums:
1-Awake
2-I&W
3-6DOIT
4-BC&SL

Offline razorsedge

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2009, 10:19:38 AM »
My verdict:

i would give wither more credit. for what it is, it's perfect. i mean i agree with what you said, but i think the execution of the "great little single" style here is unmatched.  

keys and gates. That's some fantasy shit right there.

Offline berrege

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2009, 10:20:03 AM »
A Nightmare to Remember: 8/10  :metal
A Rite of Passage: 7/10
Wither: 5/10  :|
A Shattered Fortress: 6/10
The Best of Time: 5,5/10
The Count of Tuscany: 9,5/10  :hefdaddy

Overall: 7,5/10  :tup

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2009, 10:23:05 AM »
My verdict:

i would give wither more credit. for what it is, it's perfect. i mean i agree with what you said, but i think the execution of the "great little single" style here is unmatched.  

Totally agree. In its style, it couldn't be better. It really does the job like Another Day in I&W.

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »
Their most consistent album since SFAM I'd say.

Lots of chills moments, In ever song there is at least one chills moment  :tup ANTR is awesome, as is Wither, TBOT and TCOT. Rite of passage and Shattered fortress are also very good. I enjoy this album very much!

Best parts of each song:

1. The breakdown section and the chorus(peaceful seduation)
2. CHORUS
3. breakdown/solo/chorus
4. Look in the mirror section. BAD ASS ! ! !
5. The last 4-5mins. Beyond epic
6. First and last 5 mins. EPIC!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone knows its Butters!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2009, 10:31:22 AM »
I'm writing a review right now, and I hope to have it finished by tomorrow. Anyway, by general consesus is:

1) A Nightmare to Remember. - Very strong opening track, insane double bass action and John Petrucci guitarwork. Great vocals by James LaBrie and wonderful middle section. The song gets a little bland afterwards, but it takes strength again in the final chorus. I'm not bothered by the MP vocal section at all, because the chords behind it are so incredible evil it's just awesome. Great ending, Great song. 9/10

2) A Rite of Passage. - Solid song. Great riffage, well-used vocal efects, catchy chorus and a memorable guitar solo. It's low points are quickly covered by its high points and it's definitely a great sing-along tune. One of albums's worsts, for sure. 8/10

3) Wither. - Amazing little song. Memorable melodies, powerful vocals and lots of arena vibe. I can imagine myself with thousands of fans chanting the words for the chorus. The little piano break with James LaBrie harmonizing himself is very soothing, amazing to hear him sing that low. 9/10

4) The Shattered Fortress. - EPIC. One of the main things that are said against this song is "Just lots of old ideas put together". Well, that's normally how endings work. The ending to 6DOIT takes themes from the whole song and reprises them, and such. Some very vicious and evil James LaBrie vocals that take me back to Awake and guitar riffing throughout. Powerful groove that plays behind the long keyboard solo before an amazing mellow section and TROAE reprised chorus. The ending is magnificient, it made me have chills going down my spine. 9/10

5) The Best of Times . - Great mood, great melodies and overall happy atmosphere. This is one of the songs DT's late discography had been missing. A classic DT tune with an uplifting atmosphere that takes me back in times to Images and Words. The lyrics are simple and straightforward, but supported with strong melodies and James LaBrie's great, as usual, delivery. The guitar solo at the end is probably one of JP's best solos ever. cheers 8.5/10

6) The Count of Tuscany. - A beast, the album's best song and one of modern DT's best songs. Musically, this song is bliss. Awesome chord progressions, exciting song structure and blazing guitar work. Yes, the lyrics are corny, but I dig them. They tell a story and they show how JP was afraid of this story. Sure, they could have been miles better, but in first place I don't listen to DT for the lyrical content. The guitar work behind the SUCKING ON HIS PIPE part is cool and the chorus got stuck in my head really quickly. One of DT's best album endings, overall. 9.5/10

Overall: 8.5/10 -------> 9/10
Great album, and their best since 6DOIT.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »
It's up with the best of them.

ANTR : I enjoy this song a lot, the slow section at the middle of the song is the best part of the song IMO, and I LOVE the continuum work by Rudess.

AROP : Good single, very catchy chorus. Good song overall

Wither : This one might be the best short song they've written behing Lifting Shadows off a Dream. Very catchy chorus, great guitar solo and great vocals by LaBrie.

TSF : This song is, IMO, the best of the album. I fucking like how they reused the part of the past songs  of the 12 step suite, but they are even more powerful in this song. It's like putting all the best parts of the suite and making them even better. I have to say that Rudess solo his one of his best, if not his best.

TBOT : To be honest, I don't understand how people can't appreciate this song. It has everything; awesome vocals by LaBrie, awesome vocals by PORTNOY, very emotionnal lyrics, awesome keyboard work by Rudess and the best Petrucci solo. Everyone shines in this song.

TCOT : A perfect closer. I love Rudess work in the intro. The chorus IS THEIR BEST, it is catchy as hell. The Pink Floyd part at the middle of the song is stellar. Then we hit the last 5 minutes of the songs, which is the best part of the song. These 5 minutes are the perfect recapitulation of the album : everyone shining at what they do, better than ever.

This album is one of Rudess' best. Exept maybe the Bebot solo in AROP, everything he does on the album is  truly amazing. I also have to say that this album contains most of the best chorus they've ever written.

4,8/5

1. SDOIT
2. I&W
3. BC&SL
4. SFaM
5. Awake
6. Octavarium
7. Systematic Chaos
8. Train of Thought
9. WDADU
10. Falling Into Infinity
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2009, 10:58:34 AM »
Wait, we're allowed to talk about it now?  Sweet!

Track-by-track:

ANTR: I see myself enjoying this song, and the mellow part at 4/5 minutes into the song is amazingly beautiful, but the instrumental section that follows is kind of boring.  What's with the growling from Mike to deliver good news?  The continuum outro is awesome though.  DT have had better openers.  The worst song on the album.

AROP: Really good single.  Nothing I dislike about it.  I even like the bebot solo.

Wither: Probably DT's best ballad.  Nothing bad I can say about this.  Intro is a little reminiscent of "One" but I don't mind much.

The Shattered Fortress:  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal is all I have to say.  James' "Fly and be FREEEEE" gave me chills the first time I heard it.  My second favorite on the album.  To all those who say it doesn't stand up on its own without the rest of the AA suite: you're wrong.  Perfect ending to the saga.

The Best of Times: I love me some Rush influence in a song.  I also love great piano work from Rudess, great vocals from LaBrie, and this is a song that, along with Tenement Funster Suite, shows that Mike Portnoy is improving behind the mic.  Now if he could just stop those growling/rapping bits.  LOVE JP's solo at the end.

TCOT: I was pretty scared the next big epic would be a sort of generic cookie-cutter DT epic, a trend I thought I saw the beginning of in ITPOE.  Thank god the band proved me wrong.  I love the Steve Hackett beginning, the chorus (which I have to agree with Nic35, it is one of the best they've written), the Trial of Tears mood, and then the epic ending.  Some LOTS of lolworthy lyrics (SUCKING ON HIS PIPE!  DISTINGUISHED ACCENT!) but that doesn't take away from the song, although I can't help bursting into laughter sometimes.

The verdict: It's up with the best of them.  I think it might knock Octavarium off the #4 spot its comfortably rested on since 2006 (behind Scenes, Images, and 6DoiT).  Hell, it might even beat out Scenes if Scenes doesn't lock its door at night (look what happened to Nicholas).  4/5  Notice that I felt more or less the same way about SC, and I never listened to that album anymore, but I don't think I gushed as much about SC as I am with BC&SL. 

Song rankings:

1. The Count of Tuscany
2. The Shattered Fortress
3. The Best of Times
4. Wither
5. A Rite of Passage
6. A Nightmare to Remember

Album rankings:

1. Images & Words
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Scenes From a Memory
4. Octavarium
5. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
6. Falling Into Infinity
7. Awake
8. When Day and Dream Unite
9. Train of Thought
10. Systematic Chaos

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2009, 11:01:06 AM »
Song-by-song review I wrote a week ago after hearing the leak....

1.   A Nightmare to Remember – This is a very well-crafted piece of music that sets a dark mood, reflecting its lyrics.  Overall, the piece is devoid of the elements that DT fans have been complaining about over the past few albums: bizarre solos, cut-and-paste forms, “wanking,” and lack of feeling in favor of technicality.  It reminds me very much of the Dream Theater-of-old-mentality mixed with the now well-defined JR-era sound.  Themes presented develop very nicely throughout.  The acoustic guitar break is a drastic change in mood, very Opeth-esque.  Right away, this ain’t no Systematic Chaos Part II. 

2.   A Rite of Passage – The first single.  I dig this song, but I also dug “Constant Motion” when I first heard it…  It’s a radio-friendly tune with a catchy riff, including the only instance of “wanking” solos on the record.  The music video edit is superior because it cuts out lots of the guitar and (ESPECIALLY) keyboard solos.  SC was full of songs like this, and it was a sub-par album.  Consequently, this is a sub-par DT song (albeit enjoyable). 

3.   Wither – The shortest song on the album and possibly the simplest song DT has ever produced (yes, moreso than “I Walk Beside You”!!!).  Believe it or not, every chord in this tune is diatonic.  It has a beautiful melody and a strikingly simple chord progression, much like a power ballad but not so hair-metal.  It’s a beautiful song that made me smile.  Certainly a keeper.

4.   The Shattered Fortress – After seven years and five albums, we finally get to hear the conclusion of Mike Portnoy’s “12-Step Suite,” and the wait was well worth it.  I have listened to this piece both in the context of the album AND as a part of the suite.  My only complaint is that there is very little that makes this song stand on its own apart from the suite.  The riff that fades up from the beginning is the closest thing to a new theme… everything else is explicitly a development or recap from earlier in the saga.  These elements of reprise seem to occur randomly and without any pattern.  In short, it works well as a coda to the suite, but not so well on its own.  Regardless, the developments we hear are an exciting and a fitting conclusion to this epic work.  It is also the heaviest selection on the record, much like “The Glass Prison” was to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. 

5.   The Best of Times – What a stunning tribute to the late Howard Portnoy!!  The piece accomplishes what “The Ministry of Lost Souls” and (arguably) “Sacrificed Sons” could not: there, beautiful pieces of music were interrupted/destroyed by contrasting, unrelated solo sections.  Here, the beauty of the music shines from beginning to end...  musically it is both happy and sorrowful at the same time… the guitar solo at the end is quite possibly John Petrucci’s finest moment.  Moving lyrics depict the memory of a loving father, and the music perfectly compliments them.  Upon first listen, this is my favorite track on the album.

6.   The Count of Tuscany – As predicted, this piece was difficult for me to digest from only one listen.  I can tell you, though, that like most great prog epics, “The Count of Tuscany” explores many different moods and proceeds through its sections seamlessly, without abrupt transitions.  Give it some listens yourself and digest it… is it up to the level of “A Change of Seasons” and “Octavarium”??  Time will tell.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2009, 11:02:19 AM »
I bought the 3cd set, and I thought I'd get the isolated intruments but that's only for the box set? I was looking foward to that, but maybe I can find it somewhere soon? :)
Everyone knows its Butters!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2009, 11:02:23 AM »
I love BC&SL so much I want to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

Slow down there Dave Letterman! ;)  I'm getting it tommorow.  I'm Dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2009, 11:04:20 AM »
I find it funny and ironic that TCOT was constantly ridiculed since the title was revealed, but is now getting such almost unanimous high praise now that people have actually heard it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2009, 11:05:36 AM »
I know. It's awesome.

DISTINGUISHED ACCENT.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2009, 11:06:17 AM »
I bought the 3cd set, and I thought I'd get the isolated intruments but that's only for the box set? I was looking foward to that, but maybe I can find it somewhere soon? :)
To be honest, I thought the normal set was only going to give us the album and nothing else so I'm actually quite happy to have got the other two discs lawl.

I know. It's awesome.

DISTINGUISHED ACCENT.
MAKING ME UPTIGHT

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2009, 11:06:29 AM »
I find it funny and ironic that TCOT was constantly ridiculed since the title was revealed, but is now getting such almost unanimous high praise now that people have actually heard it.
It is. 5/8 ridiculed it at most, and by the time they heard the song they were all like  :o
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2009, 11:06:55 AM »
I think Black Clouds is their strongest and most consistent album since Six Degrees (which is my favorite DT record in general).

I think that some of the standard conventions they use in their music are getting a bit tired, mainly the JR-JP-trading-solos phenomenon, but I must admit that JP's solos here are still quite outstanding.

I think that the songwriting is excellent and quite inspired. Each song has something about it that makes me sit up and pay attention, and that's a good thing.

I think The Count Of Tuscany lives up to the hype. The lyrics are lol, of course, but in spite of that..... nay, because of that (among other things), the song is simply amazing from start to finish and easily ranks up there with Learning To Live, Octavarium, Trial Of Tears and the like.

However, I do also think that the strongest moments on the album are the ones where they're not trying to be a metal band. It's not that they're bad at it, quite the opposite. It's just that they're so much better at playing in the progressive/classic rock vein, it's not even funny.

Overall grade: A-

Offline Pierced Brosnan

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »
I love the ambient section in TCoT, so relaxing, they should do more stuff like that, and the following section is just amazing; Now waiiit a minute maan!

I love the whole album, ANTR, TBoT, Wither and TCoT are personal highlights (most of the album :laugh:) but the other two songs are still great, James sounds so evil and awesome on parts of The Shattered Fortress.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who thinks this album is James' best DT studio album performance since Six Degrees?

A RARE VINTAGE! ALL THE BEST WINES, IMPROVE WITH AGE!  :metal br00talz! :biggrin:
The band describing John Myung:
JLB: "He's deep. He's deep in thought"
JP: "We have a deep understanding musically"
JR: "John Myung is a very deep kind of person"
MP: "John Myung is an enigma... N he's deep as fuck yo'"

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2009, 11:15:10 AM »
If someone came up to me and said "Get into my car, let's go for a ride", I would probably think he was a rapist.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »

Because Dream Theater have written a lolworthy song that kicks ass WHILE not taking itself TOO seriously. Seriously, The Count of Tuscany is like Dream Theater fanservice for the internet.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2009, 11:18:07 AM »
LOOK IN THE MIRROR!!! WHAT DO YOU SEE? THE SHATTERED FORTRESS!!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2009, 11:18:54 AM »
FLY NOW BE FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2009, 11:20:04 AM »
FLY NOW BE FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

I actually had to listen to this part twice to check whether it was real. Awesome JLB moment.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2009, 11:25:48 AM »
Totally. I really can't wait to hear it live.