Author Topic: The Arch Enemy thread  (Read 12696 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: New Arch Enemy album - "Khaos Legions" 27.05.2011 CAN'T WAIT!!!
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2017, 12:15:30 AM »
It's something I'll probably watch on Youtube or something. I've seen some the stuff with sexy blue haired girl and it's good, but it's not Angela. There was a presence, a power, and a impact on stage with Angela and now it's back to being a pretty normal melodic metal band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2017, 04:11:17 AM »
I'm not too interested in live albums, so I probably won't get it. Alissa is a great front-person, so I'm sure it will be cool, but from what I've heard in clips, she doesn't quite have the growly power of Gossow.
I'm still surprised that with how long they've been touring, and they haven't swung by Oz yet. They've come here the last few tours, and I'd definitely see them again.

I picked it up and have listened to a couple of songs in the car and so far, it sounds good, great mix and great hearing Loomis shredding it up in this band.  Alissa sounds pretty good, but I agree she is missing something that Angela had, but she's solid enough.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2017, 07:27:41 AM »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2017, 07:36:56 AM »
New song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk2-bgwA0Ro

Nothing new here.

That was my thought.  One of the youtube comments said that this was a song written before Jeff joined the band.  I'm hoping we get more shredding from Jeff on other songs, whether it's solos or riffs.  What's the point of having him in the band if you don't let him off the leash sometimes?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:48:28 PM by Grappler »

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »
To be honest I first read the comments about that song, then listen to it. I usually listen for the first, then read ;) but anyway, I had a negative approach to that track. But, after two listenings I liked it. I love the breakdown part somewhere in the middle. Main riff is also good. But, I miss Angela too ;) I saw Them live last year in Gdańsk, awesome, really awesome show. To see Loomis shredding live was a great experience for me. Alissa is a good "showman", but Her voice... I don't know, maybe my brain is still stuck to Angela's voice ;) I'm hoping for a strong record from Them \m/

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2017, 01:04:36 PM »
That chorus is extremely generic. I know I've heard it before, I'll have to think about where.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2017, 04:51:35 PM »
New song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk2-bgwA0Ro

Nothing new here.

That was my thought.  One of the youtube comments said that this was a song written before Jeff joined the band.  I'm hoping we get more shredding from Jeff on other songs, whether it's solos or riffs.  What's the point of having him in the band if you don't let him off the leash sometimes?

I was disappointed with that too.  This song was like they took Nemesis and tried to rework it with the structure and such.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2017, 05:51:10 PM »
Just figured out what the chorus sounds like:

In Flames - Square Nothing (2:08):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F2tNTIDSkio
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:14:50 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Adami

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2017, 10:32:53 PM »
Chorus is pretty meh, but I actually liked the song quite a bit.

And as good as sexy blue haired girl is, it's damn near impossible to top or even match Angela.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2017, 11:34:50 PM »
Chorus is pretty meh, but I actually liked the song quite a bit.

And as good as sexy blue haired girl is, it's damn near impossible to top or even match Angela.

Yeah, Gossow is untouchable, although I'm perfectly fine with Alissa's vocals too.

I think the problem at this point is that they've gotten all they can out of the same formula, so most of their recent stuff doesn't stand out to me. There's no reason I shouldn't enjoy it as much, I just don't find the last couple of albums memorable. I didn't mind the title track from War Eternal, but I don't think I listened to the rest of the album more than twice.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Adami

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2017, 11:49:11 PM »
Yea, I think Arch Enemy is one of those bands that is, for some reason, absolutely terrified of changing their sound whatsoever.

It's a shame. Really talented band, not too smart to box themselves in to sex an extent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2017, 02:56:36 AM »

I think the problem at this point is that they've gotten all they can out of the same formula, so most of their recent stuff doesn't stand out to me. There's no reason I shouldn't enjoy it as much, I just don't find the last couple of albums memorable. I didn't mind the title track from War Eternal, but I don't think I listened to the rest of the album more than twice.
Blob, You just read my mind  ;) Exactly what I wanted to say, I think that even Khaos Legions isn't so memorable. The Rise Of The Tyrant was mindblowng, but then just as You said - They've stuck in the same formula.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2017, 06:21:35 AM »
Another new song.  More of the same.  Why even have Loomis there, what a waster, WTF?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjF1rmSV1dM

Offline Grappler

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2017, 06:44:50 AM »
Another new song.  More of the same.  Why even have Loomis there, what a waster, WTF?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjF1rmSV1dM

Someone asked Michael in an interview about Jeff's writing contributions and Michael just said something like "well it's my band and I know what the band should sound like."   I think he's afraid to have Arch Enemy sound a little different by letting Loomis write and having him come up with some different sounding stuff.  But Jeff is great enough to write riffs that fit the band's style.  Maybe on the next album he'll get to spread his wings a bit.  I was hoping for him to have a chance to write on this one, but it's the first album with him as a band member.

So far, neither of the first two songs have hit me as hard as War Eternal's title track did.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2017, 06:57:36 AM »
First track wasn't so bad, it doesn't stuck in my mind, but I have positive feelings about it. Secind track, I didn't hear it yet ;) But, nice surprise. I didn't knew that coming :)

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »
I really like both of the tracks.  As one of the few with a negative opinion of the new Styx (still not sure what you guys see in that), I'm happy to be positive about this one.  In terms of long term bands with some lineup changes with albums this year, I really like the new Iced Earth and really like the Arch Enemy through two tracks.  Styx (who I loved in their heyday) - still not hearing it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »
I'm not worried about Jeff not writing much, but let the men do some shredding.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2017, 08:14:52 PM »
Another shitty generic song. Good thing is now I know I'm not gonna have to waste my time listening to the album.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2017, 10:16:15 AM »
At least Alissa is going to use some of Jeff's tunes! 

Former NEVERMORE guitarist Jeff Loomis, who joined ARCH ENEMY in late 2014, didn't have any of his songwriting ideas included on the latter band's new album, "Will To Power", but will play a prominent role on Alissa's upcoming disc.

"Jeff didn't write with Michael [Amott, ARCH ENEMY guitarist and main songwriter], because Michael was already writing so well with Daniel [Erlandsson, ARCH ENEMY drummer] that we just actually had too many ideas," White-Gluz told France's Loud TV in a separate interview (see video below). "But all of Jeff's ideas are really good and I've heard them and they're gonna be released, so people will hear them… Jeff is gonna be one of my collaborators on my solo project, because how can you say no to that? [Laughs]"

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/alissa-white-gluzs-solo-debut-will-feature-collaborations-with-kamelot-arch-enemy-members.html#chlWmd3CaKJbvxaM.99

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2017, 11:55:30 AM »
At least Alissa is going to use some of Jeff's tunes! 

Former NEVERMORE guitarist Jeff Loomis, who joined ARCH ENEMY in late 2014, didn't have any of his songwriting ideas included on the latter band's new album, "Will To Power", but will play a prominent role on Alissa's upcoming disc.

"Jeff didn't write with Michael [Amott, ARCH ENEMY guitarist and main songwriter], because Michael was already writing so well with Daniel [Erlandsson, ARCH ENEMY drummer] that we just actually had too many ideas," White-Gluz told France's Loud TV in a separate interview (see video below). "But all of Jeff's ideas are really good and I've heard them and they're gonna be released, so people will hear them… Jeff is gonna be one of my collaborators on my solo project, because how can you say no to that? [Laughs]"

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/alissa-white-gluzs-solo-debut-will-feature-collaborations-with-kamelot-arch-enemy-members.html#chlWmd3CaKJbvxaM.99
Wow, that's some good news! I love Loomis play, and I was very interested how Arch Enemy will look like with Him. But as I can see it doesn't change so much ;) Anyway, the next new song is nothing new. Just another solid, generic Arch Enemy song. I don't say it's bad, I even like it because I like simple straight melodies, but I'm not happy about that Loomis isn't writing with  them, just playing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
I'm hoping her album is good, she looks like shes's bringing in some good people.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2017, 01:31:31 PM »
I've warmed up to the two singles.  This new track though...this is SLAMMING.   A little less of the typical Arch Enemy sound and a killer chugging and galloping main riff.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/hear-arch-enemys-doomy-new-crusher-first-day-hell

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »
That's one of the best songs on the album, but still nothing special imo. I've heard that main riff before.

I was bored and listened to the album. It's pretty bad. Generic as fuck. Maybe 2 or 3 decent songs. 4/10

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »
I'm not an Arch Enemy fan but I'm seeing them and Trivium this fall just because Jeff Loomis is in the band. Can't wait.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »
That's one of the best songs on the album, but still nothing special imo. I've heard that main riff before.

I was bored and listened to the album. It's pretty bad. Generic as fuck. Maybe 2 or 3 decent songs. 4/10

Not a good review, but not surprising.  The last two didn't stick and I doubt this one will also.

Offline Adami

Re: The Arch Enemy thread
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »
Based solely on the 3 songs I have heard, they've really run the "Arch Enemy" sound into the ground. I have no idea why they are so terrified of trying something a little different, but for some reason Michael is dead set on being as redundant as possible.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2017, 03:33:17 AM »
Reason to Believe actually has singing in it, which I was hoping they'd introduce a bit more of now with Alissa. I wish they'd explored that a little more though. Otherwise very standard stuff. I can still listen to it just fine, I think they've just milked the formula to the point that it's really hard for it to sound distinctive from their older material. It's not bad, but it's no different to their last couple of albums. After Rise of the Tyrant, it's just a blur to me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2017, 08:32:20 AM »
A little bit of pure vocals in Reason To Believe was a surprise for me. The album isn't bad, of course it's nothing new, but it does not affect me. I like Arch Enemy just the way it is. I didn't expect nothing new from them. But the fact is that the albums after Rise Of The Tyrant are very very similar ;)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2017, 03:02:42 AM »
The album sounded alright through one listen. The World Is Yours works well for me, and other better songs are on the second half. I really like the main guitar melody of The Eagle Flies Alone, a bit unfortunate the rest isn't that special.

By the way, Saturnine is basically the outro to First Day In Hell with a shared musical theme and a lyrical reference ;)
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2017, 05:53:27 PM »
Personally, I really like the new album.  It may just be more of "the Arch Enemy sound", but that's a sound I like to listen to.  :metal

Offline Grappler

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2017, 09:43:14 PM »
Personally, I really like the new album.  It may just be more of "the Arch Enemy sound", but that's a sound I like to listen to.  :metal

That's where I'm at.  The first singles seemed like more of the same, but I really warmed up to them, especially The Eagle Flies Alone.  I wanted them to experiment a little, and they did - Alissa sings cleanly on one song.  I just wish Loomis could have inserted some crushing riffs, but maybe in the future.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »

That's where I'm at.  The first singles seemed like more of the same, but I really warmed up to them, especially The Eagle Flies Alone.  I wanted them to experiment a little, and they did - Alissa sings cleanly on one song.  I just wish Loomis could have inserted some crushing riffs, but maybe in the future.
And that's exactly where I am too  ;) I liked that album from the first listen, and even that it has almost nothing new to offer (but it doesn't bother me) the songs are solid, I'll definitly rank it higher than War Eternal or Khaos, time does not worked too well for those two...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2017, 05:31:13 AM »
I've had a listen to this album and it's obviously more of the same.  Nothing new at all but I guess there's nothing wrong with it. 

The only thing I can really say out of it though, is that Loomis is wasting his time and talent being in this band.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2017, 05:49:41 AM »
The only thing I can really say out of it though, is that Loomis is wasting his time and talent being in this band.
Agreed totally

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2017, 06:09:08 AM »

It's basically his bread and butter, so I can't really blame him. I know he has written music for Alissa's solo album, and he seems to be working on a new solo album of his as well.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:16:43 AM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.