Author Topic: The Journey Thread  (Read 66712 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: The Journey thread
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »
I'll Be Alright Without You is a beautiful song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2012, 10:12:43 AM »
You saw it. 

Oh.  I forgot!  :lol

And, reading through that thread again, :tup for the love for the Wheel In The Sky live rythm guitar riff in the second half of the solo.  :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2012, 02:40:02 PM »
...and a few from the first three albums.
I'm curious, which ones?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: The Journey Thread
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2012, 03:39:36 PM »
Schon and Cain talk about Separate Ways video!

Cain: ...I had trepidation about playing the "air" stuff. Really? We're going to "air" perform? So I was like, "Oh, Jeeze, we're going to get killed. They're going to kill us." And Beavis and Butthead kicked us for two years.

Schon: I think they're version is the best.
:rollin

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2012, 01:18:41 PM »
Some really cool info on how Neal Schon and Steve Smith put together Schon's upcoming album.  Jan Hammer guests on a couple tracks, too.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/journeys-neal-schon-reveals-plans-for-two-new-solo-albums/

Here’s how the album was created — Smith would come in and lay down some initial tracks for Schon to work off of. “And then I’d say ‘can you go have lunch or something for half an hour and then come back and I’ll be done.’ So I’d map it out and put a rhythm guitar down, arrange the thing the way I heard it in my head and then Steve would come back and he’d listen to it.”

“He’d write down my arrangement and then he’d go out and replay the drums to my new arrangement and a click and play it like it was a full band playing. He’s just amazing like that. And then I went back and I replayed some of the rhythm guitar [parts], some of them I kept. And then I’d start playing solos, even without bass, just freelance soloing and then I played the bass on it to go with the solos, so it came about in a different kind of way, but when you listen to it, it sounds like a really connected trio with keys here and there.“

Seems like a cool approach, add one piece at a time until complete.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2014, 08:05:10 PM »
Resurrecting to continue the discussion on Journey 2001 DVD.

I have the Journey 2001 DVD, and man, that was painful the watch.  Not so much the performances, but Steve trying to be more Perry than Augeri; the crowd acting and looking like a bunch of '80s teenagers, when they were '00 adults.  It was comical, and I just have trouble taking that lineup seriously.

Wait, what?  Just...what?  ???

Let me reiterate... painful to watch.  It really scarred my impression of Augeri-led Journey.  I say that with complete sincerity.

^ This guy was Jersey Shore before there was Jersey Shore.

And if THAT isn't the exact opposite of the look a rock 'n' roll drummer should be going for, I don't know what is.

And the crowd!!!  Can't remember which ballad (likely Faithfully), but I don't need to watch 40 year-olds making out like their sucking face for the first time.

Maybe I need rip just the audio of that DVD.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2014, 08:09:48 PM »
I checked Youtube after we had that little discussion in your roulette thread, and I pretty much agree. Augeri's look and mannerisms are a little strange and funny, and Castronovo looks like he showed up in his pyjamas.

You still need to listen to Arrival though. :getoffmylawn:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
Let me reiterate... painful to watch.  It really scarred my impression of Augeri-led Journey.  I say that with complete sincerity.

Wow.  I'm just...shocked, actually.  I've never met anyone who thought anything similar, and it's one of my all-time favorite DVDs by any band.  (well, I agree about Deen's outfit, but whatever.  That was only ever a minor distraction)  But...okay.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2014, 08:16:56 PM »
I checked Youtube after we had that little discussion in your roulette thread, and I pretty much agree. Augeri's look and mannerisms are a little strange and funny, and Castronovo looks like he showed up in his pyjamas.

You still need to listen to Arrival though. :getoffmylawn:

Alright then... I guess it's 9 albums then.  :evilmonkey:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2014, 08:31:28 PM »
I forgot all about Arrival even existing. One of the few Journey albums I don't own, and have no interest in hearing. Generations was painful for the most part due to Augeri's vocals, so I'm done with that era of the band.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2014, 08:35:04 PM »
I forgot all about Arrival even existing. One of the few Journey albums I don't own, and have no interest in hearing. Generations was painful for the most part due to Augeri's vocals, so I'm done with that era of the band.
There's really no comparison between Arrival and Generations, in terms of the vocals or the songwriting, or even the production. They are two very different albums, and Arrival is better in every conceivable way.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2014, 09:13:11 PM »
There's really no comparison between Arrival and Generations, in terms of the vocals or the songwriting, or even the production. They are two very different albums, and Arrival is better in every conceivable way.

Hm maybe I shouldn't have dismissed it so easily then. How would you compare the style to other Journey albums?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2014, 10:06:51 PM »
That's a tough one, it doesn't really sound too similar to their other albums, but it still sounds like Journey. I can't really think of one to compare it to. Maybe Trial of Fire, but I think that's an unfair comparison since it has so few redeeming qualities. :lol

On Arrival...Cain mostly only uses piano with very little deviation, so it lacks the syth sound that most of the Cain era albums have. But despite having so much piano, I can't really say it compares to the style of the Rolie stuff at all. A couple of songs even have string sections. Most of the album is slower tempo, and there are more ballad-type songs than a typical Jouney album.

Signs of Life and To Be Alive Again probably best exemplify what a lot of the album sounds like, if you care to Spotify/Youtube them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2014, 10:11:36 PM »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2014, 01:30:54 AM »
La Raza Del Sol - such a forgotten gem and one of my all time fave Journey songs.
Good to see they are still playing it live, Deen's drums are great on this version and so it the extended jam  :xbones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjLErX19VMY

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2014, 03:21:44 AM »
I didn't mind Generations.  Place in Your Heart is one of my fav Journey songs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2014, 08:37:27 AM »
That's a tough one, it doesn't really sound too similar to their other albums, but it still sounds like Journey. I can't really think of one to compare it to. Maybe Trial of Fire, but I think that's an unfair comparison since it has so few redeeming qualities. :lol

On Arrival...Cain mostly only uses piano with very little deviation, so it lacks the syth sound that most of the Cain era albums have. But despite having so much piano, I can't really say it compares to the style of the Rolie stuff at all. A couple of songs even have string sections. Most of the album is slower tempo, and there are more ballad-type songs than a typical Jouney album.

Signs of Life and To Be Alive Again probably best exemplify what a lot of the album sounds like, if you care to Spotify/Youtube them.
Signs of Life is misplaced on Arrival, if you ask me. Sounds like it's trying to be 80's material unlike most of the album, so while not bad, I don't see it representing the album. My overall take on Arrival is that it's one of their best albums (Generations is bottom 3 with Revelations and Raised on Radio), probably just missing the top 5. It's too long and drags a little too slow in parts, but I've long listened to a condensed version of the album which I think would lift it to my top tier for the band (with Journey, Infinity, Eclipse).

Higher Place
All the Things
Loved by You
Livin' to Do
World Gone Wild
Live and Breathe
Nothin' Comes Close
To Be Alive Again
Kiss Me Softly
We Will Meet Again

That removes the bleh in All the Way and With Your Love and removes Signs of Life and I Got a Reason, which I think deter from the album's vibe. It also removes Lifetime of Dreams, which I just doesn't flow well in the album, and despite the big guitar solo is still another song slowing the album down. ...as I understand it, Sony had a lot of say on the tracking for the album, i.e. lots of slower songs hoping for a hit. As far as eras of the band, Arrival fits with Trial by Fire better than part of an Auger' era. Arrival was still part of the reunion Sony was playing with, It's the closest album it compares to in their catalog (though blows it away). Trial by Fire needs the same treatment I gave Arrival, only there's less to work with (I Can See it in Your Eyes being put back in really helps, for starters).

Offline emtee

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »
BVD if you are a long time fan of Journey you will greatly enjoy Arrival. It is a very good Journey album. Very good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2014, 03:06:44 PM »

Yeah true. Generations is dire. Demo quality production at best. Crap songs too.
Still say Raised on Radio is mostly shit.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2014, 07:43:27 PM »
Signs of Life is misplaced on Arrival, if you ask me. Sounds like it's trying to be 80's material unlike most of the album, so while not bad, I don't see it representing the album.
I don't know, I can't really agree with that at all, I think Signs of Life fits in perfectly fine on the album. It has the same sound and style as most of the other tracks on Arrival. Different strokes and all I guess.

My overall take on Arrival is that it's one of their best albums (Generations is bottom 3 (with Revelations and Raised on Radio), probably just missing the top 5.
Although I like Revelation and Raised on Radio (that's right :P), I can get on board with this. Arrival is a favourite of mine aswell and I rank Generations pretty much near, or even at, the bottom.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:02:44 PM by Bolsters »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2014, 10:07:10 AM »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2014, 10:23:32 AM »
No. It's just wishful thinking on some political answers. Watch the video, it's a jumbled remark. Schon reached out to Perry recently because he found out Perry had dealt with cancer, he probably just meant they chatted or were trying to chat. Andrew over at Melodicrock (who is well connected with Journey) has insisted there is absolutely no cross discussion about Perry coming back.

The article also states he is prepping an album, which is a far stretch, too. As for the last 15 years, he has talked about working on music but nothing has come, yet. If he wanted an album out, he would have it out.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2014, 11:50:59 AM »
Besides, Steve Perry is like that crazy ex girlfriend.  Great in the sack but the next day she's smashing your favorite TV because you had to go to work.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2014, 10:11:57 PM »
Am I the only person who has no interest in Perry rejoining?
Don't get me wrong, I love those Perry albums, especially the Escape lineup, but long in the past. Can Steve Perry even sing anymore? What's he done in the past 15 years?
Arnel Pineda is a great fit for the band, and the last two albums have been great, and I think he deserves a little more respect than being treated like a placeholder.

I would like him to return to making good music, but not with Journey.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2014, 10:15:21 PM »
Even if that is true, Blob (I don't know the last two Journey albums), a reunion tour with Perry would make the band a killing, so if it could be worked out, I am sure they'd have no problem telling the new guy to kindly take a hike.  Judas Priest did it with Ripper Owens when Rob Halford was ready to rejoin the band, and I am sure Journey would do the same IF they could work it all out and get along (which would be the dilemma, since Perry sounds like he's got the Dennis DeYoung syndrome :lol).

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »

Pretty much this...................get some sort of all star lineup together , some good songs and away you go.  He is obviously a massive procrastinator/perfectionist so I won't be holding my breath for anything soon.  Apparently he still has a decent voice to work with ..............that would last about 5 minutes on a Journey tour though.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »
Even if that is true, Blob (I don't know the last two Journey albums), a reunion tour with Perry would make the band a killing, so if it could be worked out, I am sure they'd have no problem telling the new guy to kindly take a hike.  Judas Priest did it with Ripper Owens when Rob Halford was ready to rejoin the band, and I am sure Journey would do the same IF they could work it all out and get along (which would be the dilemma, since Perry sounds like he's got the Dennis DeYoung syndrome :lol).

Oh of course they'd make a shitload of money, no doubt! It's a no brainer why they'd want to do it, but musically I just don't need to see it.
If it was a one-off thing, awesome, but it's sad to see the lack of respect for Arnel Pineda. From interviews, he'd probably be totally ok with Perry rejoining too.

But as I said, I do want Steve Perry to be making music again, because I'm a huge fan of those Journey albums, just not enough for the nostalgia trip.

Pretty much this...................get some sort of all star lineup together , some good songs and away you go.  He is obviously a massive procrastinator/perfectionist so I won't be holding my breath for anything soon.  Apparently he still has a decent voice to work with ..............that would last about 5 minutes on a Journey tour though.

If he's been taking care of himself and keeping up with it, there's no reason he shouldn't still have some good pipes, but could it hold up to touring those songs? There aren't many vocalists of his age that could do that consistently.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2014, 10:41:05 PM »
That was what I was getting at - there aren't many vocalists of any age that could tour those songs.  They buggered up Augeri's voice for an extended period and Perry would be no different at his age.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2014, 10:45:11 PM »
Once rock vocalists hit 60, it seem to go downhill quickly, unless you're Mick Jagger, and set the bar extremely low to begin with. But this isn't Mick Jagger, it's Steve friggin' Perry! That's a high standard for any age, let alone 65.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2014, 04:05:03 AM »
I'm not really a big fan of Arnel, but the last album was pretty good.  I'd would be interesting to see what Perry can come up with, but really, he is all talk.  I don't see it happening anyway, and if for some reason it did, the band would have no problem telling Arnel to piss off.  Yes, it's a little disrepectful, but Iron Maiden and Judas Priest had no problem doing the same thing.  You can't blame them, look at what happened with both reunions.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2014, 06:36:21 AM »
Steve Perry would fracture this.

*Waits for Kev to get the pun*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2014, 06:41:34 AM »
Perry sounds like he's got the Dennis DeYoung syndrome

get some sort of all star lineup together

A Perry/DeYoung duet!  Imagine the diva-drama!!   :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2014, 07:58:33 AM »
I'm not really a big fan of Arnel, but the last album was pretty good. 

Same here.

But whatever happens with the band in the future, I don't see Perry rejoining.  Yeah, it could happen.  But the thing is, by all accounts, he can't sing anymore.  At all.  You could doctor it up all you like in the studio, but it would be atrocious live. 

But then again, Joe Elliott, so...  :dunno:

...and if for some reason it did, the band would have no problem telling Arnel to piss off.  Yes, it's a little disrepectful, but Iron Maiden and Judas Priest had no problem doing the same thing.  You can't blame them, look at what happened with both reunions.

All true, but you left off the most obvious point:  Schon and Cain are total mercenaries.  They'd do it just for the $$$.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »
Steve Perry would fracture this.

*Waits for Kev to get the pun*

I don't get it. ???

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2014, 08:15:48 AM »
:rollin