Author Topic: The Journey Thread  (Read 66142 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: Journey - Top 50
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 12:16:10 AM »
Damnit Yorost!!! You keep shortening the lists lol... I wanna see where this thing ends up and now you're teasing us.  :(

I think I know what the number one song is. I'm definately looking forward to the end to see if I'm correct.
I'll bet your guess for #1 is actually #3. :p  I really, really, want it to be #1, but the order I eventually came up with just felt right.  Trying to rank these songs and be comfortable about it was hard.

I'm just doing 4-3-2-1 over the top ten you can deal. :D  I'm traveling the next few days, but I'll try to make the posts each day if I at all can.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »
3: Of a Lifetime (Journey)

First album, first song, yikes did they ever get off to a start running.  Make note that this was yet another song co wrote with Tickner, their acoustic guitarist.  I love the way this song gets going, but the story is really all about Schon's massive solo.  In the recording sessions Schon went in and laid the solo in one take, then asked for a second take to layer them.  He nailed it exactly.  Two takes, huge solo, both on the final cut, apparently dropping the producers mouth.  It gives a great sound to undoubtedly one of Schon's best solos.

2: Livin' to Do (Arrival)

The last song Schon ever wrote with his father.  Brooding song, I believe another in 12/8, with a great delivery from Augeri.  A bright but sad solo from Schon and a melancholy solo Cain bracket the heart of the song.  When Schon kicks in after the intro solo and other spots the contrast just looms over the song.  This piece is beautiful and heartfelt with plenty to listen to musically.  I saw this live, and I count myself lucky for it because I really don't think it got performed often.  My one gripe is that this was supposed to top out around 8 minutes, but it got pared down somewhere in the process of finalizing Arrival.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 10:36:05 PM »
Is this the thread to post about Eclipse? Or is there another thread for that album?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 10:36:58 PM »
Is this the thread to post about Eclipse? Or is there another thread for that album?

I'm pretty sure there's another thread man.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »

Thanks, I'll find it then.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 10:41:26 PM »

Bumped it for you mate.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »

Bumped it for you mate.

Thanks man...got sidetracked.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline D_Halco

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 10:49:37 PM »
Id be interested to hear Livin To Do as an 8 minute version, however I do feel it said all it needed to say in 6 min 24 secs. Fantastic song, emotional highlight of Arrival. Maybe Schon's most emotional solo he has ever recorded, a good example to show Journey novices why he is my favorite guitarist.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 01:38:46 AM »
Damnit Yorost!!! You keep shortening the lists lol... I wanna see where this thing ends up and now you're teasing us.  :(

I think I know what the number one song is. I'm definately looking forward to the end to see if I'm correct.
I'll bet your guess for #1 is actually #3. :p  I really, really, want it to be #1, but the order I eventually came up with just felt right.  Trying to rank these songs and be comfortable about it was hard.

I'm just doing 4-3-2-1 over the top ten you can deal. :D  I'm traveling the next few days, but I'll try to make the posts each day if I at all can.

>:( :censored :censored >:(

Yeah, you were right. #1 better blow my doors off, brutha lol...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 01:43:11 AM »
Yorost, something I've noticed is you mentioning Tickner as their "acoustic guitarist". I remember seeing some very old footage of the band when he was still with them and I'm pretty sure that he played electric. He was just the rythm player. It's been quite awhile since I've seen the footage so I could be wrong but, I'm pretty confident.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2011, 07:42:01 AM »
You are right, I've just been dumb.  Meant rhythm guitarist, that's all.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 07:59:06 AM »
#1 - Positive Touch? :P

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 08:41:36 AM »
I do have a hard time trying to pick a favourite off that album.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »
You are right, I've just been dumb.  Meant rhythm guitarist, that's all.

Nah, that's not dumb. It's just me being picky about semantics. Don't worry about it.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2011, 11:17:39 PM »
1: Wheel in the Sky (Infinity)

To me, the quintessential Journey piece, and another song written with Fleischman while he was the singer.  Pretty sure it started lyrically as a poem by Valory's wife.  The album version is great, but I admit isn't quite what makes this my top pick.  It has a stellar groove to it coming off a great guitar intro.  Perry kicking in atop Schon's solo and then Schon coming out into a unison with all the singers on the chorus is amazing.  However, they fade out so quickly over part of what makes this so great, the additional section always played full live.  In fact, that this song has gone through so many awesome intros, additional sections, and variations live is why it is pushed to my top pick.  Heck, it even spawned a fabulous child in Live and Breathe.  It has two sections in particular which have been long staples to the song, which really feel missing(or shortened too far) when it is played on Infinity.  The Infinity version is great, but so is the Fleischman demo of it, and live versions are just a better, more complete, form of the song.  This song is Journey for me more than any other.  It just didn't feel right putting it any lower than the top.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2011, 12:50:27 AM »
Great song. Their best song, though...??? It's all opinion so, I definately can't argue with your choices. Infact, I'm not at all familiar with much of the band's newer music that you listed because I was never much of a fan of JC or the band after he joined with a few exceptions like mother,father.

I had fun reading the list even if we don't agree on some of the songs ect. ect...Good job on it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2011, 06:01:10 AM »
Didn't see that coming actually, especially given the ranks you put other "best of" tracks in your top 50, or at least the ones that you didn't exclude completely. Still, nice list, thanks for doing it :metal

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »
Well, I had a hard time ranking the top songs, so I hope neither of you are too underwhelmed by the top choice! :lol  Honestly, I didn't like it at top, either, when I consider only the Infinity version.  They screwed up by fading out the outro section, especially since it was immediate.  The song as it's been played for a long time is how I view it, though, with the additional instrumental section after Schon's first solo, and the outro fully intact.  The Infinity version actually sounds incomplete to me.  See Greatest Hits Live, Journey 2001, Revelations DVD, etc, for what I'm referring.  Whenever I tried ranking it lower because of Infinity I kept thinking about those versions and pushed it back up.

Offline D_Halco

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2011, 12:40:32 AM »
Great pick for #1.  Everything about this song is quintessential Journey.  Soaring lead vocals, great backing vocals, intricate guitar work, one of Schon's best solos, steady rhythm section, especially (coming from a drummer) simple yet deceptively complex drum part.  It's not my number 1, but I can definitely see where you are coming from.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2011, 10:32:58 PM »
Thanks!  Your post about the Augeri era early on was a great precursor for what was yet to come.  You pretty much nailed how things were going to pan out on that front.  It had been very amusing reading that, even though I don't know if you agreed with the Arrival choices or general ordering.

@Powerslave: Your post about Mystery Mountain and Of a Lifetime was a great call, too.  Nice to have someone ask about tracks you have in your top ten! ...particularly after you just knocked off their #1 song. :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2011, 11:53:50 PM »
Thanks!  Your post about the Augeri era early on was a great precursor for what was yet to come.  You pretty much nailed how things were going to pan out on that front.  It had been very amusing reading that, even though I don't know if you agreed with the Arrival choices or general ordering.

@Powerslave: Your post about Mystery Mountain and Of a Lifetime was a great call, too.  Nice to have someone ask about tracks you have in your top ten! ...particularly after you just knocked off their #1 song. :lol

Hey, I'm used to rejection like that. Just ask the ladies...  :rollin :mehlin

Offline D_Halco

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2011, 02:12:55 PM »
Well yorost it was just really refreshing to see someone appreciate the whole of their career and not just the big popular phase in the 80's.  I like the general order of the list, not that I agree with the placement of every single song (then again it would take me ages to make my own top 50 list), but it's realy diverse and sporadic, doesn't necessarily seem to favor one era over the other.  Yeah, I'm a huge Augeri fan (Arrival was a gateway to the first Tall Stories album which is fantastic AOR rock!), and adore Arrival and really like Generations and Red 13, so I am definately biased in saying that I am happy the list was fairly front-loaded with Augeri-era material.  This list did make me rediscover some of their material I hadn't heard in a while, which is definately good.

On a related note, my two personal favorite Journey tunes are 'Winds Of March' and 'Trial By Fire'(which is also my favorite song of all time, as well.)

Favorite Journey albums are Arrival, Trial By Fire, Escape, Frontiers and Infinity.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2011, 07:06:27 AM »
Good list.  Just shows there's quite a bit of Journey stuff that I still need to get into.  Some interesting choices too.  Good to see Troubled Child in there I love that song.  Just shows how good the band are too and how many great tracks they have.  Other songs I would have included; Send Her My Love, Edge of the Blade, Only the Young, Straight to Your Heart, so many great songs.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2011, 07:23:14 AM »
Where's Suzanne?  ;)

Seriously though, very good list. 
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
Thanks guys.

The one thing I did expect some comment about was my placement of Colors of the Spirit.  What does anyone think of that song?  I thought it was fairly despised, at least it was in the typical Journey circles.

@wolfking: Yeah, I didn't like leaving off a couple of the ones you listed.  In fact, I had around 20 songs I really didn't want to leave off.  I'm not sure about Straight to Your Heart, though, do you mean the Bad English song?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
Sorry, I meant A Place in Your Heart from Generations, great classic Journey  style song.  Straight to Your Heart is a top 3 Bad English song though.  :tup

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: The Journey thread
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 06:28:52 AM »
Schon just released a sample track for his upcoming album, the more promising of the two that should be out this year.

https://www.schonmusic.com/
https://bit.ly/schonmusic

It's called "The Calling" and is on a project with Steve Smith and some appearances from Jan Hammer.  Nice track, but I hope it isn't the best they have to offer, Schon, Smith, Hammer(for whatever he's on) should be great songs.  Then again, I only gave it one listen and will wait for the album.  Schon's solo albums are some of his best stuff, I'm always excited for them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 09:04:59 AM »
Yorost, your list is certainly...unconventional.  :lol  I really couldn't do a top 10 or top 20 Journey list much justice because it would look too much like a standard "greatest hits" disk that is mostly packed with the Perry hits.  Wheel In The Sky (#1, for most of the reasons Yorost picked it), Lights, Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin', Any Way You Want It, a fair chunk of the Escape and Frontiers albums, and just a couple of newer songs, like Higher Place and Chain of Love.  Mine would be pretty boring.

Well, actually, what the heck.  Here's my top 10:

1.  Wheel In The Sky - See Yorost's post.
2.  Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) - To me, this song is quintessential rock with a catchy pop flair and hooks you can't ignore. 
3.  Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' - I overlooked this song back in the Perry era for some reason and only really rediscovered it in the early 2000's, originally because of DT's use of it in The Big Medley.  Really fun live song, and just a total blast to sing.
4.  Faithfully - Terrific ballad.  For most bands, I might include a ballad or maybe 2 tops in a top 10.  Journey wrote a lot of really bad, cheesey ones, but they also really have a knack for writing amazing ones as well.  This one just oozes emotion and atmosphere.  One of my favorite ballads by anybody.
5.  Stone in Love - Schon.  Riff.  Yeah.
6.  Don't Stop Believin' - Overplayed?  Yeah.  But deservedly so.  Like it or not, this is probably the most iconic Journey song, and for good reason.  It's just so good.  Part of me is surprised it isn't ranked higher on my list.
7.  Chain of Love - Speaking of Schon and riffs...  I was actually tempted to put this one or two spots higher, but it just seems almost blasphemous to put a post-Perry song above Don't Stop Believin'.
8.  Lights - Stellar song.  And if you're from the SF Bay Area, it has a little deeper meaning.  If you've ever watched the sun set over San Francisco Bay and not had this song play in your head, you either have no taste in music or are just a tourist (or both).
9.  Any Way You Want It - Another classic that had to make the list.  Another fun song to cover in a band.
10.  Who's Crying Now - Hard to put another ballad in here when there are so many good rockers high up on the list, but there's a lot to love about this song.  Valory's prominent bass work really takes it up a notch. 

Ones that just missed the cut:
Higher Place 
Send Her My Love
Chain Reaction
La Raza Del Sol
...and a few from the first three albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 09:07:54 AM »
Nice to see Separate Ways at #2. That would be my #1, with Stone in Love in #2. Not really sure about after that. Even though I like most of Journey's ballads, I don't rank them that highly compared to the rockier stuff.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »
I like your list bosk1, especially with Wheel in the Sky on top.  I think 7 were in my top 50, and Chain of Love would absolutely make my list if I redid it post-Eclipse.  LTS wasn't far off from making it, too.  For a mostly hits list, you made choices I would be happy with. :)

As for Don't Stop Believin', it has iconic moments, but I don't know, it's really only a mid range Journey song in my book.  Nice album opener, but I got tired of it long before its resurgence.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »
Mine would most likely look like a greatest hits also, and would include "Be Good to Yourself" (crazy good vocals form Perry) and "I'll Be Alright Without You" (I love the harmonies on this one).

Also, I imagine everyone saw my play-by-play of the "Separate Ways" video by now?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
Mine would most likely look like a greatest hits also

If you grew up when these songs were coming it, as you and I both did, I think that is actually quite natural.  They are quality songs, and there's nothing "trendy" about favoring such quality songs by good musicians who put out a lot of quality work.

and would include "Be Good to Yourself" (crazy good vocals form Perry)

Good song as well.  It doesn't make my top 10 (or even top 20), but solid pick.

...and "I'll Be Alright Without You" (I love the harmonies on this one).

Ugh.  Really?  I despise this song.

Also, I imagine everyone saw my play-by-play of the "Separate Ways" video by now?

Missed that somehow.  Link?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »
bosk you better not have a drink in your hand when Coz posts it.  You spill it all over someone's legal documents.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »

Really?  I know it's kind of a slower, mid-tempo kinda thing, but it kinda grooves.  Nice solo that isn't too over the top.  The harmonies on the chorus really are the star of this song.  Maybe more so live.  It seems like it's better overall live, actually.  For example (bonus, pre-Idol Randy Jackson on bass):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjOEgDppd6k

Missed that somehow.  Link?

You saw it.  Quoted:

is awesome.  The following video - Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) - is 80's cheese at its most heinous and I f*cking love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA&ob=av2el

Several points of interest:

Steve Perry = Demi Moore
0:35, 0:49 - no instruments
0:52 - Jon Cain bear-pawing his air keyboard
1:07 - awkward zoom-in
1:25 - keyboard on the wall
2:11 - slow-mo marching band "ABOUT FACE!" move
2:16 - advertisement for Steve Perry's dentist
2:18 - why are they in a dockyard full of shipping skids?
2:29-2:36 - sequences like this are whta make 80's videos so excellent
2:44 - 2nd from left:  Ross Valory = Jeff Foxworthy
2:56 - Oops!  Almost lost my balance!
3:01 - 55-gallon drumset
3:06 - HURRR-STOMPA-STOMPA *follows camera*
3:11 - Pulls out just in time to avoid inevitable Jon Cain collision
3:12 - Jon Cain's patented "Camera Bitch-Slap"
3:17 - Check out how awesome I am.  I may have tried to kick Santana out of the band, but at least the afro's gone!
3:22 - guitar face
3:26 - weird slow-mo
3:49 - more wall keyboard
4:01 - Brigitte Nielsen look-alike approaches: "You guys are still at this??"

Okay, so though I make fun of it, it's still f*cking awesome.  Enjoy.

bosk you better not have a drink in your hand when Coz posts it.  You spill it all over someone's legal documents.

I still chuckle to myself over it.  You have to kinda have the video playing while you're looking for these timestamps, for maximum lulz.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »
Really?  I know it's kind of a slower, mid-tempo kinda thing, but it kinda grooves.  Nice solo that isn't too over the top.  The harmonies on the chorus really are the star of this song.  Maybe more so live.  It seems like it's better overall live, actually.  For example (bonus, pre-Idol Randy Jackson on bass):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjOEgDppd6k
Raised on Radio can be summed up with: "ick."  A couple songs are ok when separated from the album (and are better live), but that's it.  I'll Be Alright Without You is not one of them.