Author Topic: The Journey Thread  (Read 66783 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The Journey Thread
« Reply #280 on: June 07, 2017, 03:01:23 AM »
Yes, you can.  And you can say that about quite a few of their other songs as well.  :)  Personally, I'm a sucker for the outro to Faithfully.

One of the best outros in the history of cheesy power ballads  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #281 on: June 07, 2017, 07:44:16 AM »
Winds of March

/drama discussion

YES. Oh my god, that song is so damn underrated. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #282 on: June 07, 2017, 08:34:40 AM »
The outro to Stone in Love blows the whole song, for me.  It's like they had two mostly complete songs and decided to stick them together, for lack of any better options to finish either one.  The first half of the song is awesome.  Then it makes that shift and all the bitchin' energy is kinda lost.  I mean, the second half is cool, if it were its own thing, but I just don't feel like it belongs where it is.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #283 on: June 07, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »
The outro to Stone in Love blows the whole song, for me.  It's like they had two mostly complete songs and decided to stick them together, for lack of any better options to finish either one.  The first half of the song is awesome.  Then it makes that shift and all the bitchin' energy is kinda lost.  I mean, the second half is cool, if it were its own thing, but I just don't feel like it belongs where it is.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

That outro is epic as hell, man.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #284 on: June 07, 2017, 08:37:31 AM »
Yeah, it IS epic as hell.  It just feels like it belongs elsewhere, is all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #285 on: June 07, 2017, 08:41:49 AM »

Yeah, I'm with Blob on this one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #286 on: June 07, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
I'm in agreement, too. Stone in Love is a top Journey tune, and the outro is a major reason why.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #287 on: June 07, 2017, 08:53:26 AM »

Coz just made a Vulcan blow a gasket.  Resign your commission Blob.  You've been compromised. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #288 on: June 07, 2017, 10:19:28 AM »
Again, I do not argue that the outro IS a fantastic one.  It just feels like too dramatic a shift from the first half of the song.  It feels like it was never specifically intended to go there, but like it was an unfinished bit that had to go somewhere, might as well stick it here.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #289 on: June 08, 2017, 01:14:08 PM »
Out of curiosity, how many folks here have ever checked out the Dream After Dream album? It's mostly instrumental, but honestly I think it's probably one of the best albums Journey ever did.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #290 on: June 08, 2017, 01:42:12 PM »
Again, I do not argue that the outro IS a fantastic one.  It just feels like too dramatic a shift from the first half of the song.  It feels like it was never specifically intended to go there, but like it was an unfinished bit that had to go somewhere, might as well stick it here.

I agree. It definitely is awesome, but out of place. I always got the feeling they were aiming to replicate the "Who's Crying Now" outro. The outro for "Who's Crying Now" totally fits, though. I think something major pentatonic based for the "Stone In Love" outro would have felt like much less of an abrupt shift in mood.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #291 on: June 08, 2017, 05:10:27 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets it. It's a great outro, just not a great outro for Stone in Love, IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: August 03, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »
Things are warming up again in Journey land  :lol

Cain's missus (evangelist and some sort of spiritual adviser to Trump) gets the band into the Oval Office for a meeting with Trump .........only Neal wasn't invited.

https://www.facebook.com/schonmusic/
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #293 on: August 03, 2017, 06:53:54 PM »
I have a feeling Cain's days are numbered and I'm perfectly fine with it because I want Greg Rollie back in the band and I think Neal does too. Time will tell.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: August 03, 2017, 06:56:30 PM »
I have a feeling Cain's days are numbered and I'm perfectly fine with it because I want Greg Rollie back in the band and I think Neal does too. Time will tell.

If you scroll down the Facebook page someone asks him about playing pre-Perry stuff and he says "I'm assembling"

Seems they are still playing shows at the moment but it's clearly about to implode in one way or another.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #295 on: August 04, 2017, 08:32:49 AM »
Was Neal running the FB page a few months back? I remember the page getting a little weirdly aggressive and personal a while back. At some point, there was a status about how some people have bad karma coming their way, I offhandedly replied that Karma would make a great title for a Journey album, and the page instantly responded that it would be a perfect name. I was both flattered and weirded out.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2019, 03:14:15 PM »
 :omg:

Holy crap!  I was looking at the wikipedia page for past members of Journey, and just realized that Arnel Pineda has been an official member of Journey now almost as long as Steve Perry was!

(Perry is credited with being a member from 1977 to 1987, and 1995-1998, with the band's hiatus from in between not counting)

Yeah, I know there are all kinds of asterisks we can put on that statement, but it's still kinda mindblowing to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline HOF

« Reply #297 on: February 21, 2020, 10:31:43 PM »
So I have been a Journey fan for most of my life really. Trial By Fire was actually the first CD I remember buying after got my first CD player as a kid (dating myself there). But for the longest time I had that and the Time 3 box set and it wasn’t until a few years ago that I finally started collecting all of their individual albums. I’ve finally just finished collecting Journey through Evolution in the last few weeks to finish off everything up until Trial by Fire (those discs are dirt cheap on Amazon right now. I wonder if a new edition of those are in the works. These haven’t even been remastered I don’t think).

I have to say, I’ve always been much more of an Escape onward fan, but these early albums are great too. The debut really is phenomenal. Neal was on fire, and I love how experimental and progressive it is. The next two are a bit patchy, but still some great experimental hard rock/fusion throughout. The second half of Next feels to be a little bit mailed in (aside from Nickel and Dime which is great), and you really do get the sense the band needed a new voice.

And then they drop Infinity and here is this amazing new voice just reimagining the whole band. At the same time though, I’m just continually amazed at what a brilliant guitarist Schon is. He transitions from being this crazy heavy rock/fusion guy to a bluesy, soulful soloist with just the right amount of flair for the songs. Then Steve Stone shows up on Evolution, and it’s like another breath of fresh air invigorating the band. I actually think Departure is the weakest of the Perry-Rolie albums. Luckily, they were able to plug in a new keyboardist/songwriter for Escape and the rest was history.

The one thing I still need to track down is the Dream After Dream soundtrack. It’s really incredible how much music these guys made in just an 11 year period while also touring heavily. It’s no wonder Rolie and Perry both burned out. I’m sure some day I’ll try out the post-Perry albums. I do have Eclipse, but I thought it felt a little half-baked. I should give it another spin though.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #298 on: February 22, 2020, 03:38:09 PM »
Post Perry, I’d say that first album with Augeri (Arrival) is excellent, the second one (Generations) is awful apart from 2 or 3 songs. First album with Arnel (Revelations) is also excellent and the 2nd one (the aforementioned Eclipse) was a big step down, hence they’ve done nothing since.  The first song they actually released post Perry was Remember Me from the Armageddon soundtrack which I also really enjoyed.

As ever, all just my opinions, I have seen many rate Eclipse much higher than I do.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:50:40 PM by Peter Mc »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: February 22, 2020, 08:06:59 PM »
Got to disagree on Eclipse.   A well crafted album start to finish. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #300 on: February 22, 2020, 08:11:33 PM »
Wait, people actually listen to post Perry Journey albums? What is that like?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: February 22, 2020, 08:12:24 PM »
Tim, I bet you'd like Eclipse.   Heavy side of Journey. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #302 on: February 22, 2020, 08:16:31 PM »

OK, I'll check it out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #303 on: February 23, 2020, 12:45:19 AM »
Got to disagree on Eclipse.   A well crafted album start to finish.

Yes, imo the best post-Perry record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline T-ski

« Reply #304 on: February 23, 2020, 08:27:52 AM »
Eclipse is very good.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #305 on: February 23, 2020, 09:39:21 AM »

It is very guitar heavy and I should love it as I am a big Schon fan but just felt to me like it was almost too much of a wankfest of guitars and they forgot to write really catchy memorable songs.  Will listen again but remember being pretty disappointed after really loving Revelations. Seem to remember it starts quite strong for the first 2 or 3 songs but then gets a bit boring.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #306 on: February 23, 2020, 10:13:35 AM »
Listening now and I was a little harsh, it’s been pretty decent. Arnel is such a fantastic singer on these two albums. A pity they gave up after this and don’t really play any of the post Perry stuff live. It would probably be met with total apathy if they did though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: February 23, 2020, 10:23:25 AM »
I remember Neil getting upset that the fans weren't getting up for the new songs on Arrival.   The model these days for making money is touring not making new music.

I think bands play better when they have a new album to promote live.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: February 23, 2020, 11:34:42 AM »
I remember Neil getting upset that the fans weren't getting up for the new songs on Arrival.   The model these days for making money is touring not making new music.

I think bands play better when they have a new album to promote live.

Agreed because it feels like the band has something to prove, to win over a crowd with new music.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: February 23, 2020, 12:34:08 PM »
Also, dummy me.

Neal.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #310 on: February 23, 2020, 12:45:47 PM »
I don't have it in me to listen to an entire post-Steve Perry Journey album, but give me 2-3 songs from Eclipse to check out and I will do so. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #311 on: February 23, 2020, 12:52:02 PM »
Man, I was kind of hoping some people wanted to talk about early Journey. 😛

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #312 on: February 23, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »

I only know a few songs from the pre-Infinity albums, so I wouldn't have a lot to discuss. I do like the song Look into the Future quite a bit. :hat

Offline HOF

« Reply #313 on: February 23, 2020, 01:23:34 PM »

I only know a few songs from the pre-Infinity albums, so I wouldn't have a lot to discuss. I do like the song Look into the Future quite a bit. :hat

Yeah, Look Into The Future (the song) is great. Probably the best thing on that album. Schon’s tone reminds me of early Pearl Jam. Probably more trying to sound like Hendrix?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: February 23, 2020, 01:28:24 PM »
I don't have it in me to listen to an entire post-Steve Perry Journey album, but give me 2-3 songs from Eclipse to check out and I will do so.

https://youtu.be/IN8FB5YXUfk

https://youtu.be/pJG3wQtdkpg

https://youtu.be/G6fNN27Fx4g