Author Topic: The Journey Thread  (Read 66225 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: The Journey Thread
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2015, 06:24:47 PM »
Deen's being indicted for rape (the charges were upgraded). I think it's a safe bet that his days in Journey are over, regardless of whether or not he's guilty.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2015, 08:24:01 AM »
Reportedly, he was high on Meth when this altercation took place.  Too bad.  I'd assume that his time in Journey may indeed be coming to an end.  Talented dude, too.  That Revolution Saints album he did is pretty good.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2015, 04:04:21 PM »
His vocal performance of "Mother, Father" on the Live In Manila DVD wowed me. I bought it to see what a show with Arnel was like and Deen wound up being a highlight.

So this is a pretty big downer.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »
His vocal performance of "Mother, Father" on the Live In Manila DVD wowed me. I bought it to see what a show with Arnel was like and Deen wound up being a highlight.

I actually got to see the band at a show in Honolulu around the same time-frame that they played in Manila (Spring 2009) and got to see a pretty similar set-list to the one on the Manila DVD. Deen killed it live.

If this is true, it's a crying shame that he's done this.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2015, 11:29:21 PM »

I still watch Live in Manila all the time, and have always loved his vocals there. When I saw then live a few years ago, they did the same songs from Escape with Deen on vocals. I also love how they do Just the Same Way live with Deen doing Perry's parts.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2015, 08:51:52 AM »
Some fans wanted Deen to become the new lead singer when Augeri was flaming out. He's an excellent singer and his Mother, Father is also a highlight for me on recent dvds. My complaints are on his drumming, especially in the studio with Journey. All sort of moot, he's in a world of trouble, and Journey has been dealing with his drug addiction for a long time. From a decade ago, I remember a story that was something like his bandmates meeting him at the conclusion of a rehab stint with a song for him.

Anyways, Schon's Voretx is amazing. Diverse but still has a great flow to both discs without letting up. Still not sure if I think this of I on U is better, but but both are top notch guitar albums.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2015, 08:01:02 PM »
Rumors are going around that Deen has recently been officially fired, as expected.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2015, 08:03:09 PM »
Rumors are going around that Deen has recently been officially fired, as expected.

You can't really blame the band for making this decision.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2015, 09:00:21 PM »

You can't really blame the band for making this decision.

That would be expected for sure

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »
From what I hear the fill in on tour has been kicking ass ,so it may be an easy decision for a replacement.  The biggest issue may be the inability to replace his backing vocals.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2015, 10:18:25 PM »
From what I hear the fill in on tour has been kicking ass ,so it may be an easy decision for a replacement.  The biggest issue may be the inability to replace his backing vocals.

Deen's vocals were amazing. For backing vocals they could always use backing tracks (which they may already use to some degree, I don't know), and for the songs he sings lead, they'll either have to swap out tracks, or have Arnel sing them, although I figure those spots were used as rests for him.

It doesn't surprise me if it's official now. Once they got a replacement drummer, I already assumed it was for good given the allegations against Castronovo. I haven't checked out any clips with the new guy yet.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2015, 04:43:51 AM »
They were probably always going to do it, they just might have wanted to make sure the replacement was a good fit and he is good to just stay on.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2015, 09:42:40 AM »
If Omar Hakim does take the job that's fantastic, but I don't think the tour he played on was a test. They needed a replacement, immediately, and Schon got a friend of his to adjust his schedule and do it. Hakim is a fantastic musician, I don't think they would hesitate to hire him if he wanted the job and Steve Smith did not want to return. They apparently called Smith first (no surprise, active with Schon on solo projects, etc.), and there was a hint he might do some concerts with them once his own dates are over.

They have been planning a 'family' tour with Santana, and it sounds like they might get out early Journey as an opening act. I could see Hakim or Smith being interested in that, but it wouldn't surprise me if they also just took Michael Shrieve as a fill in.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »
So I want to get some Journey songs with the iconic Schon's solos (and some with Perry's great melodies). Any more I can get? I personally don't like Lovin, Touchin, Squeezing...

Faithfully
Separate Ways
Open Arms
Send Her My love
Who's crying now

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2015, 11:46:56 AM »
Not sure what you're looking for, almost all Journey songs feature a Schon solo.  Try some of these...

Line of Fire
Of a Lifetime
Stone in Love
World Gone Wild
Chain of Love
Feeling That Way/Anytime
Mother, Father
You're on Your Own
Walking Away from the Edge

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
So I want to get some Journey songs with the iconic Schon's solos (and some with Perry's great melodies). Any more I can get? I personally don't like Lovin, Touchin, Squeezing...

Faithfully
Separate Ways
Open Arms
Send Her My love
Who's crying now

This is simple:  get "Escape".  Listen.  Done. 

If that doesn't work, there's a great compilation called "Essential..." that is, well, essential. 

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2015, 12:48:14 PM »

Faithfully
Separate Ways
Open Arms
Send Her My love
Who's crying now

This is simple:  get "Escape".  Listen.  Done. 

If that doesn't work, there's a great compilation called "Essential..." that is, well, essential.

I was always more partial to Frontiers myself. But either works just fine.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give both a try.

I was (am) looking for the songs that have very emotional Schon's solos...the ones that make you  :o :eek on the emotion side of things...not the technical soloing. I'll post an example once I leave work.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2015, 02:01:07 PM »
Walking Away from the Edge
When the Love Has Gone
Livin' to Do
Trial by Fire
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:34:21 PM by yorost »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2015, 04:13:28 PM »
Edge of the Blade.  Oh yeah!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2015, 07:16:19 PM »
An example would be the outro solo from Faithfully or the solo from Separate Ways...They are very melodical and full of feeling. The one from Who's Crying Now also gives me the chills.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2015, 07:59:02 PM »
When it comes to emotional Schon solos, the ones that came to mind were:

Stone in Love
Send Her My Love
Who's Crying Now

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2015, 09:56:21 AM »
So I went ahead and streamed Essential Journey and this are some of the songs that I really loved

-Only the young
-Don't stop believing
-Message of Love
-Faithfully
-Anyway you want it
-Ask the lonely
-Who's crying now
-Separate ways
-Eyes of a woman
-Bee good to yourself
-Open arms
-Still they ride
-Mother, father
-Send her my love
-When you love a woman
-party's over

Any other song I might be missing with Schon's great emotional soloing?

Stone in love did not quite catch me as far as the solo though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »
Am I really the first one to mention Winds of March? 

IMO, it's Journey's all-time finest achievement.   Infinity is where it's at.   I'm just as positive on everyone else on the entire Infinity-Frontiers run...but for me, Infinity was the peak, and Gregg Rolie > Jonathan Cain. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »
Winds of March is excellent, and Infinity is one of what I think of as their three greatest albums (Journey and Eclipse the others). I'm definitely much more inclined towards Rolie Journey vs Cain Journey, too. I'd rank their combos with lead singers like...

1. Rolie (Rolie)
2. Rolie (Perry)
3. Cain (Augeri)
4. Cain (Pineda)
5. Cain (Perry)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2015, 04:02:55 PM »
I get the love for the Rolie-era from a pure "player" aspect, but the Perry-Cain era is just sublime for finely crafted, well-played, well-sung pop-rock music.

I don't know that it is my favorite song or anything, but Stone In Love is just a master-class on songwriting craft.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2015, 12:30:18 AM »
Infinity is definitely one of Journey's best albums up there with anything else, but Winds of March is the first of the weaker tracks on the album imo.
And while I love the Rolie stuff, I'll take Cain any day over Rolie. The keys were much more memorable on Escape/Frontiers.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:44:01 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #167 on: September 11, 2015, 08:29:17 AM »
I don't know that it is my favorite song or anything, but Stone In Love is just a master-class on songwriting craft.
Possibly the greatest arena/pop/rock song ever created.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2015, 12:26:32 AM »
Am I really the first one to mention Winds of March? 

IMO, it's Journey's all-time finest achievement.   Infinity is where it's at.   I'm just as positive on everyone else on the entire Infinity-Frontiers run...but for me, Infinity was the peak, and Gregg Rolie > Jonathan Cain.

To be fair, man, I've been sick in bed with the flu all week long. My head's so out of it these days that I forget about the greatness that is Infinity. Definitely an underrated masterwork from the band, though I'm not sure it's definitely the band's best.

Winds of March though... oh man. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
Former Journey members Smith and Jackson are rehearsing Vortex material with Schon. Don't know what it's for, but Schon's son is announced for a benefit concert this weekend, Concert for Courage.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2015, 01:51:14 PM »
No prison for Castronovo, but there was no way Journey could have kept him even if they wanted. 4 years probation, including not leaving Oregon. No drugs, alcohol, or apparently romantic relationships during that period. Any slip up has him looking at over 5 years prison time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2015, 07:51:15 PM »
No prison for Castronovo, but there was no way Journey could have kept him even if they wanted. 4 years probation, including not leaving Oregon. No drugs, alcohol, or apparently romantic relationships during that period. Any slip up has him looking at over 5 years prison time.

They can control that?!
He should probably consider himself lucky given the serious nature of the charges, but obviously it does rule out being in Journey, or probably any other band. It sucks for him, but it's not undeserved.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2015, 11:57:08 PM »
I thought the charges against him were very serious so I'm surprised that he got out of prison, the more so as it is not the first time he's accused of domestic violence.

While on probation, Castronovo cannot enter into a romantic relationship without permission from his probation officer, use controlled substances or alcohol, contact the victim, leave Oregon or enter into any bars unless for employment purposes, among other things.

For me that sounds like he could leave Oregon if it's for employment purposes so he could theoretically tour with Journey, but I doubt that he will be back anytime soon.

And as serious as this is, this "cannot enter into a romantic relationship without permission from his probation officer" had me laughing. Is he really supposed to go to his probation officer and ask for permission to take girls out on a date or to get laid?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2015, 12:23:04 AM »
Better than prison, and while it may be silly it might only be a means to steering him away from relationships that could cause a relapse. He plead guilty, I'm assuming he knew what he would get.

You're right that it is ambiguous, but even if he could get permission for work, it would likely be a hassle for the band. Not to mention the liability he brings by a relapse.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2015, 12:35:10 AM »
If he can tour, I doubt any band would want to take the risk, or want be associated with it.