Author Topic: Need Some Computer Help (Crashing, Restoring, Missing Files, etc.)  (Read 949 times)

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
So somehow, while I was on DTF, my computer randomly decided to crash. It said something about my RAM being full, etc., and I noticed some of my desktop files were gone, along with my background. I did a system restore and everything looked normal when I logged back in...

...Except that some of the folders now have nothing in them and they say empty. Normally it wouldnt matter to me that much, except that the folder was the one that had all my new music for my next album! >:(

Now here's the weird part; when I do a search for one of the songs, it shows up, and even plays when I click on it. And yet, if I open the location of the file, it goes back to that empty folder.

Any advice?
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Need Some Computer Help (Crashing, Restoring, Missing Files, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »
Search for the folder that the songs are in and see if it comes up.  If so, immediately copy and paste it somewhere else.  Failing that, search for the individual songs and C/P them into a safe location.  Protect the irreplaceable stuff first, and only then should you worry about troubleshooting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »
It sounds like a virus that gets you to try to buy the antidote.  It makes more files hidden over time so you think they got erased.  After removing the malware (I believe Malwarebytes will do the trick), simply unhide all your files.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:52:17 PM »
Search for the folder that the songs are in and see if it comes up.  If so, immediately copy and paste it somewhere else.  Failing that, search for the individual songs and C/P them into a safe location.  Protect the irreplaceable stuff first, and only then should you worry about troubleshooting.

Thats what I tried to do before, but its like their invisible or something.

It sounds like a virus that gets you to try to buy the antidote.  It makes more files hidden over time so you think they got erased.  After removing the malware (I believe Malwarebytes will do the trick), simply unhide all your files.

Doing a scan right now, so I'll know in a bit.

Thank you
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />