Author Topic: Worcestershire sauce  (Read 7620 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: Worcestershire sauce
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I agree with Lonestar. That first steak looks crazy awesome. The second, gross.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »
So what we're finding out here is that Aramatheis has never had a real steak before.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2011, 06:43:25 PM »
Well done steak can be just as delicious as a rare steak, it's just harder to cook, and requires more effort than searing both sides. That being said, the red in a rare steak is myoglobin, not blood.

On topic: its an awesome sauce, though I use it more as a cooking ingredient as a condiment. Awesome in chillis.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline dongringo

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2011, 11:58:12 PM »
Worst sauce ever invented.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011, 12:14:48 AM »
A1 however ...

To say it with the slogan of Frank's Red Hot Sauce: "I put that shit on everything!"

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2011, 06:53:20 AM »
Meat. Should. Never. Have. Blood. Or. Pink. In. The. Middle. Period.

Bad example of steak:

Good example of steak:

You are a crazy person.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ehra

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2011, 07:31:57 AM »
A1 however ...

To say it with the slogan of Frank's Red Hot Sauce: "I put that shit on everything!"

rumborak

ew

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2011, 03:31:02 AM »
Meat. Should. Never. Have. Blood. Or. Pink. In. The. Middle. Period.

Bad example of steak:
*snip*

Good example of steak:
*snip*
You are a crazy person.
what hef said
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2011, 04:12:03 AM »
I bet Arametheis also thinks that chicken being moist is bad, and likes his chicken cooked until its completely dry.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2011, 05:24:16 AM »
Guys............shocking news.  I loved my food burned.  The black on chicken pleases me but I understand your side.  I know, I've been bashed for years.  I'll tell you something though, my friends tell me I grill a mean steak.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2011, 05:44:16 AM »
I bet Arametheis also thinks that chicken being moist is bad, and likes his chicken cooked until its completely dry.

First of all: Please quit bashing my tastes in cooking , this isn't even the correct thread for it
Second: How do you misspell my username, when it's right next to all my posts?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2011, 07:46:25 AM »

First of all: Please quit bashing my tastes in cooking , this isn't even the correct thread for it
Second: How do you misspell my username, when it's right next to all my posts?
:chill

It's common to like steak more rare rather than well done, so he is connecting that to how chicken usually sucks being dry rather than moist. Plus it's GuineaPig, so he's gonna have a strong opinion. :biggrin:

Plus, people misspell names all the time. No worries.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 07:51:41 AM »
Aramqatheis has bad tastes in cooking.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2011, 08:08:06 AM »

:chill

I am chill, I just don't see why you can misspell something that's right there. I mean, he quoted me, so my name is in the quote description...

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2011, 08:14:03 AM »
Well, maybe he didn't bother to check.. Is that that big of a deal?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »
Well, maybe he didn't bother to check.. Is that that big of a deal?

It irks me.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2011, 08:51:02 AM »
Aramathematics

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2011, 09:02:57 AM »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »
See? No worries ;)

Offline ehra

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 10:21:09 AM »
I understand where you're coming from completely, Aramathis. People misspell my name all the time by capitalizing the "e." It's lowercase, dammit!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2011, 01:28:51 PM »
Making burgers with that stuff is a godsend. :hefdaddy

Indeed. I've made the following recipe on countless occasions and it's even gotten people that didn't like the ingredients I use to still like the final product. All credit goes to my awesome stepdad:

3 lbs. ground turkey(80/20 or leaner works fine)
16 oz. worcestershire(or whatever comes in that usual bottle size)
Seasoning blend of your choice(I use Tony Chachere's Original Creole)
1 lb. sliced fresh button mushrooms(the regular white kind for those unaware)
Tall drinking glass of water(deglazing purposes)
10-inch skillet

First preheat the skillet to maximum heat-BUT ONLY FOR THE FIRST PART OF COOKING!!! Second shape the meat into patties that are roughly 3 inches in diameter(Gamecube discs work well as a template) and about 3/4 inch tall. Next shake the seasoning generously onto the top and bottom sides of all patties. Now-with worcestershire and water nearby-place patties in the skillet(make sure no patty is closer than a half-inch to any other patty; it will probably involve two or three batches based on a 10-inch skillet depending on how many comfortably fit in it at one time) and allow them to sear until browned to a slight crisp(probably 2 minutes per side.) Once the second sides of the patties are browned flip them back to the original side, reduce heat to MEDIUM and douse each patty with worcestershire sauce so they look almost as dark as the sauce itself.

Since the skillet may still be very hot from the searing be sure to add a little water to it. Just enough to keep from burning since we're not steaming the burgers and also the mushrooms take on the flavor of the sauce waaaayyy better if you keep the moisture level fairly low. Now add about half of the mushrooms. For the next part you'll just keep flipping the burgers every three or so minutes and be sure to give a generous bit of worcestershire to the top of each patty EVERY TIME you flip them and add the bare minimum amount of water to avoid scorching as needed.

Each batch of burgers should cook in about ten minutes but don't stress if your time differs. Once the first batch is done remove the patties and scrape the sauce and mushrooms into a side dish. Raise the burner back to max heat, wash&dry out the skillet(or grab a fresh one), and get the pan back to searing heat. Now just repeat the former steps starting with the browning of the patties and enjoy!

I usually serve this with homemade mashed potatoes that I top with brown gravy from a powdered mix. I save the worcestershire gravy for topping off the burgers which are simply plated and topped with mushroom slices. For the other side dish I find fresh steamed asparagus is great.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »
Hey, uh, black_floyd, if you ever feel like coming over to my place and cooking, don't be shy, invite yourself over.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:50:16 PM by Aramatheis »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 02:24:37 PM »
:zombiepile:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DT.net Member
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »
Hey, uh, black-floyd, if you ever feel like coming over to my place and cooking, don't be shy, invite yourself over.

DUDE! You fuckin misspelled my name with a hyphen in the middle instead of an underscore! WHAT...THE...FUCK?!?

j/k much love ;)

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2011, 02:49:49 PM »
Hey, uh, black-floyd, if you ever feel like coming over to my place and cooking, don't be shy, invite yourself over.

DUDE! You fuckin misspelled my name with a hyphen in the middle instead of an underscore! WHAT...THE...FUCK?!?

You know what? I made sure I spelt it right too, double-checked and everything. And then forgot to press the fucking shift button?

Goddamn, I'm a hypocrite and an idiot. >.>
So there, fixed, and my apologies.

I still hope you'll stop by and be my chef.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2011, 03:47:36 PM »

You know what? I made sure I spelt it right too, double-checked and everything. And then forgot to press the fucking shift button?

Goddamn, I'm a hypocrite and an idiot. >.>
So there, fixed, and my apologies.

I still hope you'll stop by and be my chef.

You didn't see my "j/k" at the bottom of that post lol?

But sure I'll be your chef as long as you have a decently working SNES and a guitar for my merriment.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2011, 04:29:44 PM »
You didn't see my "j/k" at the bottom of that post lol?

But sure I'll be your chef as long as you have a decently working SNES and a guitar for my merriment.

Oh I saw it.

Sadly, I do not own a SNES. However, I do own a Sega Genesis, Wii, and Xbox 360, as well as a couple guitars. Hopefully those will make up for the SNESlessness

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2011, 05:25:51 PM »

Sadly, I do not own a SNES. However, I do own a Sega Genesis, Wii, and Xbox 360, as well as a couple guitars. Hopefully those will make up for the SNESlessness

Lol those don't make up for not having a SNES

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
Lol those don't make up for not having a SNES

I know...  :'(

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2011, 02:02:29 PM »
Good example of steak:

I would argue that this isn't really steak to begin with, let alone a good example of it. This is more of a style of sliced beef that'd be used as the base for a bigger dish where you add various sauces and veggies to it. I guess you could take a steak cut, then slice it and start cooking those slices that it's steak but that's a bit different than what I think of when someone says "I'm cooking steak."

• DT.net Member
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2011, 02:18:07 PM »
Making burgers with that stuff is a godsend. :hefdaddy

Indeed. I've made the following recipe on countless occasions and it's even gotten people that didn't like the ingredients I use to still like the final product. All credit goes to my awesome stepdad:

3 lbs. ground turkey(80/20 or leaner works fine)
16 oz. worcestershire(or whatever comes in that usual bottle size)
Seasoning blend of your choice(I use Tony Chachere's Original Creole)
1 lb. sliced fresh button mushrooms(the regular white kind for those unaware)
Tall drinking glass of water(deglazing purposes)
10-inch skillet

*painfully long instructions...*

Awesome! I'm making this recipe today!

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2011, 02:24:21 PM »
Good example of steak:

I would argue that this isn't really steak to begin with, let alone a good example of it. This is more of a style of sliced beef that'd be used as the base for a bigger dish where you add various sauces and veggies to it. I guess you could take a steak cut, then slice it and start cooking those slices that it's steak but that's a bit different than what I think of when someone says "I'm cooking steak."

It was a picture of thoroughly cooked beef, used to illustrate a point. Who gives a shit if it's not actually a steak?

I certainly don't.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2011, 02:33:03 PM »
Yes, but that "thoroughly cooked" beef is not as flavorful nor as healthy as properly cooked beef.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DT.net Member
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »
My favorite thing is customers ordering a well done steak and then saying "dis burnt."