Author Topic: People are D^&*! DT related.  (Read 3472 times)

Offline tjanuranus

People are D^&*! DT related.
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:06:40 PM »
A friend of mine invited to his house for a small party on friday night. I never really hung out with his friends so i thought it would be cool to meet them and maybe make some new friends. I go over there (wearing my DT 25th anniversary shirt.) At first people seemed kinda nice. Talk about college and future prospects. Someone asked me what my goal of going to school was and I say the truth which is i wanted to be a software engineer at Apple. This guys girlfriend loudly said "Oh UGH." With no follow up. I thought that was a bit rude but i didn't say anything about it. I didn't say ugh to anything they were talking about. I don't have a PS3. I have a 360. I didn't say fucking UGH! when they were talking about the PS3. If they were going to talk about windows, or any other non Apple thing i wouldn't have said anything rude because people use what they like and fine. Choices make the world go round. So that started it off.

Then my friend went outside to smoke with a few of his friends. I don't smoke so i didn't want to be around a bunch of smoke. I tried going into the kitchen where the other people were hanging out and be a part of the conversation. I was ignored for a few minutes so i left and sat by myself in the living room. This happened about 4 times that night. They would go out to smoke, i would go to be social and get ignored then sit by myself and mess around on my UGH iPhone.

Then my friend had his computer on the table with itunes running and said if anyone wanted to search through his library and put a song on that was cool. He wanted that. Other people did it so i did as well. I put on limelight by Rush. About 1 minute into the song. This guy who was in the kitchen came out and changed the song. I let that go...

Then this other guy who seemed cool at the beginning put on a Zappa song. Trying one last time to be social and nice i said, hey you like zappa? That's awesome. Have you ever seen Zappa plays Zappa? He said Yes. I said i saw them play with Dream Theater on the PN09 tour, twice. He turned to me and said.. "Oh, that's unfortunate." Now i'm clearly wearing a DT shirt so it's obvious i'm into them. The way he said it was very rude and i felt like he was trying to disrespect me. My natural instinct was to say something rude back but out of respect to my friend i kept quiet.

My question is why are people such fucking dickheads?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:21:27 PM by tjanuranus »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: People are D^&*! DT related.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
Because they are people, and you should never go near those people again.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »
Now you know that you should never ever hang out with his friends again.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:22:31 PM »
Really, tj?  Apple?  UGH.

But for reals, it seems you just found a bad group of genuinely rude people.  I mean, from the way you say it, that girl who said "ugh" wasn't saying it jokingly like a "lolmac" thing that we do here.  And I think its a common trend with the wild Zappa fan to look down at other "prog/progressive" bands because they put Zappa on such a high pedestal (I am of course basing this on a total of three hardcore Zappa fans that I have met and nothing else.  That was a joke. :P) but that was still a pretty rude thing to say as well.  A much more tactful (and fun!) way to go about it would be to say "Ah, DT?  Yeah, not my favorite thing.  Hey, have you heard *insert band here*?" 

And people switching songs that you pick, especially when they're as people-friendly as "Limelight," is one of my biggest pet peeves.  I don't switch the channel when Ke$ha's playing, someone should have the respect not to change the channel when Rush is playing unless they ask very politely if we could listen to something else.

Offline j

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »
Some people are just losers and assholes, or just really selfish and inconsiderate.  They aren't worth wasting your time hanging out with or thinking about.  Sounds like that was just a bad crop the other night.  There are lots of great, friendly people out there too. :tup

-J

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 04:29:27 PM »
^Exactly.

But really, Apple? ...dude.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:30:14 PM »
^Exactly.

But really, Apple? ...dude.

wha?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »
:)

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 04:34:51 PM »
:)

I really want to be on the OSX team or iOS team or any Apple owned Application team like Logic Studio, iMovie, etc. That would be so awesome. One day i would love to be the head of a team like that!

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 05:50:53 PM »
I have a deep seated hatred for Apple and I even find that to be a bit much. I at least would have brought out friendly debate and followed up with (slightly dickish) teasing comments.

Only time acting like that is acceptable is if you're talking to one of those ultra condescending, arrogant, up their own ass mac users that don't know shit about fuck. OR  the apple store.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 07:00:01 PM »
Because they are people, and you should never go near those people again.
Now you know that you should never ever hang out with his friends again.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 07:04:45 PM »
If your friend asks to hang again, tell him no and why. See what he says about it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 07:13:39 PM »
Those sound like some pretty rude people. As a mac user myself, I find myself really nauseous from all the "EW MAC" people out there. I don't look down on anyone who uses a dell or windows or what-the-fuck-ever other kind of computer. People should have the courtesy to not shit all over me for using a computer that has no affect on their lives whatsoever. It's like they think bashing apple/macs at every chance they get somehow makes them superior beings. It's one of my biggest pet peeves. Like, it really fucking pisses me off.

I empathize, man.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 07:14:50 PM »
i cant stand macs... but i wont let that be a reason to be a dick towards someone... fucking stupid people are fucking stupid
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline j

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »
Those sound like some pretty rude people. As a mac user myself, I find myself really nauseous from all the "EW MAC" people out there. I don't look down on anyone who uses a dell or windows or what-the-fuck-ever other kind of computer. People should have the courtesy to not shit all over me for using a computer that has no affect on their lives whatsoever. It's like they think bashing apple/macs at every chance they get somehow makes them superior beings. It's one of my biggest pet peeves. Like, it really fucking pisses me off.

I empathize, man.

Macs are sooooo terrible I hate them!!!!!!!!!!!!

-J

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »

I empathize, man.

Macs are sooooo terrible I hate them!!!!!!!!!!!!

-J

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
No offense, but your friends seem like dicks.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 07:34:06 PM »
i think it's time for the big nasty to weigh in on this thread.

problem #1 is that you didn't arrive at the party wasted. when you do, you don't care what people think, which makes all the difference.

problem #2 - you should have spent more time on the ladies rather than caring about what kind of music the other dudes liked.

problem #3 - 
Someone asked me what my goal of going to school was and I say the truth which is i wanted to be a software engineer at Apple. This guys girlfriend loudly said "Oh UGH." With no follow up. I thought that was a bit rude but i didn't say anything about it.

you go, "BITCH WHAT?" and argue with her as to why she thinks it's stupid. after you win the argument, play it off like it was nothing. cuz that's how you roll.

problem #4 -
Then this other guy who seemed cool at the beginning put on a Zappa song. Trying one last time to be social and nice i said, hey you like zappa? That's awesome. Have you ever seen Zappa plays Zappa? He said Yes. I said i saw them play with Dream Theater on the PN09 tour, twice. He turned to me and said.. "Oh, that's unfortunate."

oh how the big nasty would have unleashed havok.

over and out.

tbn
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »
Aw shit the big nasty just laid a smack down on yo ass someun holla "whaaaaat"

Offline j

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »
Aw shit the big nasty just laid a smack down on yo ass someun holla "whaaaaat"

whaaaaaaat

Good shit, ricky.

-J

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 09:00:18 PM »
They sound like a bunch of TOOLBAGS, quite honestly.  You know, you can be sarcastic and snide back to them without embarassing your friend, although I commend your self control.  I'd never hang out with those people ever again.  They sound like total jerks. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 09:02:35 PM »
By the way, when that guy turned Limelight off, why didn't you just play it again?  I would have played it 10,000 times that night if I had to. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »

I empathize, man.

Honestly? There's a lot of Mac users that are very pretentious, arrogant, and ignorant. And it's not just that vocal minority, it's the company. Just look at a lot of the Mac commercials. Particularly the "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" ones.

I'd break up Mac hate in a few categories. Techies that rage at the MacOS, the Apple commercials, misinformation, etcetc. The Generic stereotypical windows fanboys that hate because it's not windows and/or to go with the flow. And then there's the people that are just dicks.

And honestly, those arrogant, ignorant, Mac users are probably about just as common as the dickish Windows users.

I'd say it balances out.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 09:50:13 PM »

I empathize, man.

Honestly? There's a lot of Mac users that are very pretentious, arrogant, and ignorant. And it's not just that vocal minority, it's the company. Just look at a lot of the Mac commercials. Particularly the "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" ones.

I'd break up Mac hate in a few categories. Techies that rage at the MacOS, the Apple commercials, misinformation, etcetc. The Generic stereotypical windows fanboys that hate because it's not windows and/or to go with the flow. And then there's the people that are just dicks.

And honestly, those arrogant, ignorant, Mac users are probably about just as common as the dickish Windows users.

I'd say it balances out.
That's cool, I guess.

I just hate it when they target it at me.

The fact that people get so high and mighty over devices as trivial as computers is fucking ridiculous in the first place.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 09:52:42 PM »
i hear everyone when they say i shouldn't hang out with those people again. Part of me wants to though to see if this shit happens again and if it does... I should really just go off on them and be a TOTAL asshole. Hmmm... what to do.

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 10:02:16 PM »
Yeah.. I probably would've said something back. They could be friends to your friend, but when someone's intentionally rude I personally wouldn't let it slide. You don't have to be rude either- you can even joke about it- but at least letting them know that it's offensive actually shows that you have boundaries and they're not allowed to toy with you or disrespect you. You don't seem like someone who'd be a pushover so you need to let them know that the shit they did isn't cool. Like when she asked what you aspired to do, and said "Ugh" after your response, you could've said jokingly "Well I was gonna ask what YOU aspire to do, but WOW, with THAT attitude you're not going to be going anywhere."
That may sound dickish to other people, but said in a "joking" manner can be quite effective.

Or just say something like "Awhh don't be jealous because you cant afford the luxury of a sleek Mac"

Or just be simple and straightforward and say "Way to make yourself sound like an asshole." or "Way to ruin the conversation with your dickish comment lol" (obviously said in a "lighthearted" way)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »
i think it's time for the big nasty to weigh in on this thread.

problem #1 is that you didn't arrive at the party wasted. when you do, you don't care what people think, which makes all the difference.

problem #2 - you should have spent more time on the ladies rather than caring about what kind of music the other dudes liked.

problem #3 - 
Someone asked me what my goal of going to school was and I say the truth which is i wanted to be a software engineer at Apple. This guys girlfriend loudly said "Oh UGH." With no follow up. I thought that was a bit rude but i didn't say anything about it.

you go, "BITCH WHAT?" and argue with her as to why she thinks it's stupid. after you win the argument, play it off like it was nothing. cuz that's how you roll.

problem #4 -
Then this other guy who seemed cool at the beginning put on a Zappa song. Trying one last time to be social and nice i said, hey you like zappa? That's awesome. Have you ever seen Zappa plays Zappa? He said Yes. I said i saw them play with Dream Theater on the PN09 tour, twice. He turned to me and said.. "Oh, that's unfortunate."

oh how the big nasty would have unleashed havok.

over and out.

tbn
With that post, I would like to introduce the big nasty to the cool dudes club.  Welcome fine sir, let me show you the handshake.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »
Those guys sound like dicks. I like your idea of meeting them again and being a total jerk but that may cause problems with your friend so think about it twice before you do it.

Regarding Mac.

That's it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 09:41:17 AM »
i hear everyone when they say i shouldn't hang out with those people again. Part of me wants to though to see if this shit happens again and if it does... I should really just go off on them and be a TOTAL asshole. Hmmm... what to do.
...as if that won't make their day and allow them to internally justify the way they acted.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 11:42:40 AM »
My question is why are people such fucking dickheads?

A short summary: 81% of the population has emotional problems leading to some level of behavioral dysfunction. Of those, 23% are markedly impaired. 19% of the population is relatively free of psychological problems. People suffering from emotional pain (81%) tend to act out in a manner, by violence or destructive social behavior, to bring others down to, or below their level of unhappiness/emotional pain. This is to maintain the ego's sense of superiority. So when you behave in a friendly/modest/kind way to these people, they will try everything they can to bring you down to their level of emotional discomfort. People with the same level of emotional problems often form groups, like the friends at the party. "Misery loves company". Apparently you were above that level. Ignore them, and find people that are on your level.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 03:05:10 PM »
I would have decided that since I would never be around any of them again anyway, I would have done or said something extremely crude before making my big exit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 03:30:12 PM »
I would have decided that since I would never be around any of them again anyway, I would have done or said something extremely crude before making my big exit.
Like a blaze of glory, no?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 03:59:17 PM »
You gotta remember that these are friends of a friend.  tj's friend invited him to a party, and most of these other people knew each other.  If tj makes a huge fuss and goes out in a blaze of glory, then he's just some asshole they don't know or care about, but it could look bad for tj's friend who invited him in the first place.  Keeping quiet and just leaving was the best course of action.

But at some point, I'd think that the friend would ask tj if he had a good time or whatever, at which point tj could tell him how his friends all treated him like shit.