Author Topic: Taking pics at concerts  (Read 4529 times)

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
Taking pics at concerts
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:04:29 PM »
I don't know if this belongs in the concert forum or not, but I'm going to see Moon Safari in a theater on Friday night. The venue says no flash photography, and I am not good at using my wife's camera. It's a Kodak Easyshare Z950.
Does anyone have any suggestions for which settings to use to get the best quality shots? We're in 10th row, so I should be able to zoom right up on their faces, but I don't know anything about the light settings and stuff.
Thanks in advance!
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Taking pics at concerts
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 03:05:43 PM »
Just take the pictures with flash. What the hell are they going to do about it?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »
IMHO, either take a camera that can handle low-light settings, or just don't take any pics at all. The problem with flash in these things is, they only annoy people, but they don't improve the picture. The stage is too far away to receive any significant amount of flash light, and so all you get is whitened out people in front of you.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
TAC is the master at taking pics at concerts.  PM him.  He may be at work so he'll answer you later.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »
I've always had just a regular camera. I've always used a flash. Security shouldn't bother you. If you are worried about that, then learn to use your wife's.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 01:22:36 AM »
I do concert photography, imo flash makes just about every picture look junky. Therefor, for good concert pics you have to know the settings of the camera. For the low light of a concert, you're gonna need to crank the iso in order to get a good shutter speed to prevent motion blur. keep the aperture wide-open, and shoot away. shoot raw if the camera allows and try and adjust the white balance to a good setting if it does not.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »
I honestly can't remember the last time I used the flash to good effect.

rumborak

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
I do concert photography, imo flash makes just about every picture look junky. Therefor, for good concert pics you have to know the settings of the camera. For the low light of a concert, you're gonna need to crank the iso in order to get a good shutter speed to prevent motion blur. keep the aperture wide-open, and shoot away. shoot raw if the camera allows and try and adjust the white balance to a good setting if it does not.

Your advice sounds really cool. I'm going to play around with the iso and aperture things. What do you mean by shooting raw?

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:48:32 PM »

+ 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

like they're going to do sh*t about it.

There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 07:19:47 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverport_Riot
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 07:21:53 PM »
Well, that's Axl Rose, I mean seriously.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 12:10:39 AM »
 just watched the video again. Man, his singing sucked.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 12:17:17 AM »
Well, that's Axl Rose, I mean seriously.

That dude is a joke.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 05:58:29 AM »
No..THIS is Axl Rose!
October 26, 1987
The Living Room
Providence, RI

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 06:02:28 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverport_Riot

Just watched a corresponding youtube clip.... what a tool.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 07:55:30 AM »

Your advice sounds really cool. I'm going to play around with the iso and aperture things. What do you mean by shooting raw?

RAW is the file format.  It's an extremely large file, which is a great thing.  You can go into photo editing programs later and adjust things like exposure, color, shading...LOTS!  The larger the file side, the more you can tweak it.  If your cam doesn't do RAW, do the highest JPEG setting you have.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 10:48:56 PM »
RAW is my way of life. The flexibility you have with adjusting white balance alone is worth the large file sizes, plus it just looks better. I agree Rumborak, flash is something I never EVER use when taking a serious photograph. If a friend wants a quick pic with someone I'll slap on auto mode just to not deal with the hassle of any tweaking and live with the ugly ass flash.

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline efxf

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 11:48:21 PM »
Just out of curiosity what kind of cameras do you guys use?  I'm looking for one that can take good pictures and video (especially at concerts) but still small enough to be able to easily sneak into the venue.  Any recommendations? 

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 01:28:40 AM »
Problem is, if you are looking for good photos at a concert you won't be able to find something like that in a point and shoot camera. DSLRs have the power necessary for live concert photography. I use an Olympus E500. It's actually a pretty bad camera for concert shooting, but I manage to make it work most of the time. Looking to upgrade, most likely to a Nikon in the near future. But as I was saying, little cameras don't have the power to work under low light conditions and still keep the picture noise free and clear. They're meant for, well, pointing and shooting applications.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 08:05:07 PM »
Depends on the people. 

I know Mike Portnoy didn't mind, as he used a couple of my pictures on the back of the L2E2 disc.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 01:47:35 PM »
Thanks for all your help. I think they turned out okay, but I don't have a card reader, so I can't be sure yet. I'll post some pics if they're good enough.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 01:53:25 PM »
A lot depends on the stage lighting. Taking pics with flash sucks. You either get the back of the heads in front of you lighted, but besides that, almost no effect.
I hate people who use the flash all the time.

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 02:02:51 PM »
A lot depends on the stage lighting. Taking pics with flash sucks. You either get the back of the heads in front of you lighted, but besides that, almost no effect.
I hate people who use the flash all the time.

By the way, it was the Moon Safari concert, and it was last night, and it was absolutely amazing!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 03:12:30 PM »
That's because Moon Safari rules.  :hat

Still slightly OT: this I took (without flash): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkGfKK_994E

Meine Musikliste

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 04:32:14 PM »
Constant Bloom was one of their encores. It was flawless. All of their harmonies were. I didn't expect it to be THAT good.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 06:03:36 PM »
It is absolutely moronic that bands aren't cashing in on concert photography. Get 3 people with professional cameras, one in the middle the other two on the sides, take good pictures, and then give people a link to a website where they can buy good pictures of the concert they went to.

rumborak

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »
Hmm, for me it's a different animal looking at pics I personally shot and those of some other photographer. It's just not the same. My pics are MY experience of the show. Of course the other pics might be much better (like the ones of a friend of mine: https://www.progrockfoto.de/ ), but it's simply not the same.

Meine Musikliste

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »
It is absolutely moronic that bands aren't cashing in on concert photography. Get 3 people with professional cameras, one in the middle the other two on the sides, take good pictures, and then give people a link to a website where they can buy good pictures of the concert they went to.

rumborak

Great idea, I think Vai did something like this. I would totally be a part of that.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
Eject you from the venue, that's what.

I saw several people get kicked out or damn near close when I saw Tool last summer. Sure, that's partly because Maynard is kind of a douche and implements this policy at every venue Tool plays at. But a policy is a policy, and the venues follow them.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2011, 05:53:27 PM »
Hmm, for me it's a different animal looking at pics I personally shot and those of some other photographer. It's just not the same. My pics are MY experience of the show. Of course the other pics might be much better (like the ones of a friend of mine: https://www.progrockfoto.de/ ), but it's simply not the same.

This. Part of it for me is that I try my best to get good seats, and it feels good when people see pics you took and say 'damn, you had good seats!'

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 05:07:11 PM »
Built-in flashes suck ass, that's true. But with a decent flash you can get great natural looking pictures. Not at concerts of course.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 05:17:31 PM »

rumborak

Rumbo, you're exactly right. Shit like this should be a no brainer. Even if they took shots from the first half of a show and made them available to the crowd before they left.