Author Topic: A Question for You Experienced Bootlegers  (Read 2966 times)

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
A Question for You Experienced Bootlegers
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »
I was thinking about having a go at recording the next DT show I go to, been looking at the Zoom H1 handy recorder. I really don't fancy trying to smuggle a load of equipment in and I could just pop that in my pocket. I've heard a few clips on YouTube of people using it in live situations and it sounds great.

The question is, where is the best place to put it? I was thinking maybe just sticking it under my seat or in my lap, I suppose they are the only places really :P Ill be sat on the back row of the center balcony, right in the center. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, regarding any problems getting the little H1 into the Wolves Civic, mic placement, settings etc. I'd appreciate it. Not expecting fantastic results, and there will probably be a GDT release of the show - like the past 2 I've been to, so if its crap then i'll just get that ;D

Alternatively, I was looking at the Q3HD to film the whole show, but seeing as I'm on the back row, I'd have to hold the camera up for long periods and that would look odd and be uncomfortable :P (unless I somehow managed to attach it to the back wall  :lol) For these reasons, I'm leaning towards audio only, unless someone has any cool ideas for video placement :P

Cheers,
Matt

Offline cfmoran13

Re: A Question for You Experienced Bootlegers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:37:09 AM »
I've never taped.  But, I have 1000's of bootlegs.  A few comments/ questions...

Are you planning on using external mics?  The Zooms seem to be used often.  However, more often, they appear to be using external mics plugged into the Zoom.  SP-CMC-8's are used quite often.  I've head of people mounting them on a baseball cap.

Another recorder that seems to be used by quite a few bootleggers (including the super-impressive Tapehead2) is the Edirol R-09. 

If you already have bootlegs from others, take a look at the equipment used on each one and see if you take a liking to the sound of bootlegs using a particular piece of equipment.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:21:50 AM »
Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, only noticed it on my phone while I was away on vacation. I would *highly* suggest seeking the advice of current threads, and possibly even starting a new one at www.taperssection.com. There is far more information already posted there than anyone here could hope to provide.

I've never taped.  But, I have 1000's of bootlegs.  A few comments/ questions...

Are you planning on using external mics?  The Zooms seem to be used often.  However, more often, they appear to be using external mics plugged into the Zoom.  SP-CMC-8's are used quite often.  I've head of people mounting them on a baseball cap.

Another recorder that seems to be used by quite a few bootleggers (including the super-impressive Tapehead2) is the Edirol R-09. 

If you already have bootlegs from others, take a look at the equipment used on each one and see if you take a liking to the sound of bootlegs using a particular piece of equipment.

Tapehead2 is quite an impressive taper, and I'm glad he has covered a lot of shows I've been to as some I've not been able to tape, and others he's just done a better job. The Edirol R-09 has been a very popular model for sure.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline phantom

• Turn the key, walk through the gate...
  • Another Bootlegs Maniac
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:50:24 AM »
I was thinking about having a go at recording the next DT show I go to, been looking at the Zoom H1 handy recorder. I really don't fancy trying to smuggle a load of equipment in and I could just pop that in my pocket. I've heard a few clips on YouTube of people using it in live situations and it sounds great.

The question is, where is the best place to put it? I was thinking maybe just sticking it under my seat or in my lap, I suppose they are the only places really :P Ill be sat on the back row of the center balcony, right in the center. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, regarding any problems getting the little H1 into the Wolves Civic, mic placement, settings etc. I'd appreciate it. Not expecting fantastic results, and there will probably be a GDT release of the show - like the past 2 I've been to, so if its crap then i'll just get that ;D

Alternatively, I was looking at the Q3HD to film the whole show, but seeing as I'm on the back row, I'd have to hold the camera up for long periods and that would look odd and be uncomfortable :P (unless I somehow managed to attach it to the back wall  :lol) For these reasons, I'm leaning towards audio only, unless someone has any cool ideas for video placement :P

Cheers,
Matt

Hi.
Wanted to write here a while ago, but wasn't approved till now.
IMO, the Zooms (H1/2/4n) are good even without an external mic.
Your position from the speakers is important too.
Also the crowd noise and wind (in an outdoor show) is something to consider.
A good external mic I recommend is the Sony ECM 719.
I've been told it wasn't designed for recording music, but it is widely used and it gives great results.
Personally I use a JVC camcorder to tape shows, but I've learned all this from listening to many many many bootlegs.
You should check as Nick said the taper's section, they are really thorough.
Um, by the way, it's been a few months since you started this post.
You taped the show you attended?

The Dreams & The Bricks