Author Topic: Anybody knowledgable with Google spreadsheets?  (Read 731 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Anybody knowledgable with Google spreadsheets?
« on: May 15, 2011, 03:26:46 PM »
What I'm trying to do is to have the following table:

Madrid           3       07/15/2011
Barcelona       4       07/19/2011
Rome             7       07/28/2011

So, the first two columns are filled in manually (first column is the place, the second column is the number of days I expect to stay there).
Now, I would like the third column to be filled in automatically by Google spreadsheets, which is the date I expect to arrive there. The first value (07/15/2011) would be filled in manually, but from there on, for example, the second row would grab the 3 days from the Madrid row, add it to 07/15/2011, and thus fill in the 07/19/2011 value automatically. That way, if say I end up staying a day more in Barcelona, the start date of Rome would automatically be shifted too (and all following dates).

Any ideas?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anybody knowledgable with Google spreadsheets?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »
It's really simple and intuitive (I didn't know how to do it, but just tried logically and it worked)

Set your date column to date format (or just type a date like "July 15, 2011" and it will format to your date automatically)

Then for your second row (where you currently have "07/19/2011")  set it to be the sum of the previous date and the number of days.  Drag that formula down to copy it and it'll update as you change your data.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Anybody knowledgable with Google spreadsheets?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »
Wow, that was a lot easier than I expected. I was approaching this from the programmer's view of things and was starting to use all kinds of crazy functionality they provide.

Thanks!

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."