Author Topic: The Dream Theater LPs  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Ħ

The Dream Theater LPs
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:46:56 AM »
I've been getting way more interested in listening to music at the best quality possible.  I was wondering how the LP's compare with their CD counterparts?

And what LP's are available by the way?  I know of WDADU, IAW, SC, and BCSL, and I think Lie, but what else?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: The Dream Theater LPs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:52:42 AM »
The bass cuts through on vinyl more and it's less compressed so it sounds a little bit better. I've only encountered a few parts on BC&SL that sound like crap and that's on TSF where it kind of sounds distorted, and that's a small gripe. Other than that there really isn't much difference.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline voncorn

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »
-
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:00:54 AM by voncorn »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 12:17:03 PM »
Atlantic didn't care about doing special things for DT then and I don't think they have any interest in doing so now, so I think seeing DT on vinyl is not going to happen for a while. 

But I can add that Awake was released on vinyl as well (ZeppelinDT posted a pic of it here somewhere), but chances are anything pre-SC is incredibly rare.  Even then, with most modern albums, the LP doesn't have massively improved sound over the CD version except in a few cases, so I don't think it'd be worth spending money on BC&SL or SC (because marginally better sound quality will not make SC a better album  :biggrin: (also because they're expensive as heck))