Author Topic: The Galactic Cowboys Thread  (Read 10005 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Galactic Cowboys Thread
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 11:22:19 AM »

You do understand that it is 1) only a minute and a half long and 2) part of a suite that is telling the story of their brief brush with fame.    (there's also a "call back" in the lyrics to their first video/single "We're Not Amused")

I think it really fits in the scope of the longer piece. 

My favorites from that album are Young Man's Dream, It's Not Over, Through, Nothing to Say, and the entire "Machine Fish Suite" which I think it brilliant.

It's 1:23 i'll never get back and 1:23 I'll never listen to again.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »
I just have a hard time wrapping my head around that concept any more.

When I was 15 years old, I brought home a brand new album from a band I had never heard of called Metallica.  That brand new release was Ride The Lightning, and I had never heard a note...I just liked the name.

When Fight Fire With Fire started...I laughed.   I laughed a lot.   I found it hard to believe that anyone could make something so terrible and actually be serious.   It was the worst dreck I had ever heard in my entire life.   I laughed the way that you might laugh at Steel Panther...or maybe even Rebecca Black...because there was nothing on my radar that could convince me that these guys were even for real.   It *had* to be a joke, right?

I actually tried to return the album because I thought it was the most god-awful noise I had ever heard, and I never wanted to ever subject my aural passages to the musical version of Ipecac ever again.    But the record store had a no-return policy, so I was stuck with it. 

Two months later, it was the single most amazing albums I had ever heard in my life, and FFWF was one of the highlights of the entire album.

From that day forward, I have NEVER given snap judgments to anything.   Not even Perry Como.   Quite often, the things I have detested the most on my initial listen, are the things that broadened my horizons the most in the long run.    Not *everything* has turned out that way...but since that day in late'84, I have never judged any song on the first listen....and certainly not in a minute and a half.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ronrule

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »
The Machine Fish Suite really is a masterpiece of metal/power-pop combo. I'd hate to know someone missed it because of first impressions of 1:23 of it.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »
The Machine Fish Suite really is a masterpiece of metal/power-pop combo. I'd hate to know someone missed it because of first impressions of 1:23 of it.

Honestly after that track I switched over to the PSMS Live in Tokyo dual CD set. I'll pick back up on the GC later, but not re-starting that track.

Why is the Machine Fish Suite not on the appropriately titled album Machine Fish (which doesn't seem well received at all.. maybe with good reason if it resembles this).

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
I just have a hard time wrapping my head around that concept any more.

When I was 15 years old, I brought home a brand new album from a band I had never heard of called Metallica.  That brand new release was Ride The Lightning, and I had never heard a note...I just liked the name.

When Fight Fire With Fire started...I laughed.   I laughed a lot.   I found it hard to believe that anyone could make something so terrible and actually be serious.   It was the worst dreck I had ever heard in my entire life.   I laughed the way that you might laugh at Steel Panther...or maybe even Rebecca Black...because there was nothing on my radar that could convince me that these guys were even for real.   It *had* to be a joke, right?

I actually tried to return the album because I thought it was the most god-awful noise I had ever heard, and I never wanted to ever subject my aural passages to the musical version of Ipecac ever again.    But the record store had a no-return policy, so I was stuck with it. 

Two months later, it was the single most amazing albums I had ever heard in my life, and FFWF was one of the highlights of the entire album.

From that day forward, I have NEVER given snap judgments to anything.   Not even Perry Como.   Quite often, the things I have detested the most on my initial listen, are the things that broadened my horizons the most in the long run.    Not *everything* has turned out that way...but since that day in late'84, I have never judged any song on the first listen....and certainly not in a minute and a half.

Meh, it's the same way when I listen to 8VM in iTunes I omit Panic Attack from the track list. I just can't deal with it.  I'll do the same here unless by some wizardry the song gets better.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »

Honestly after that track I switched over to the PSMS Live in Tokyo dual CD set. I'll pick back up on the GC later, but not re-starting that track.

Why is the Machine Fish Suite not on the appropriately titled album Machine Fish (which doesn't seem well received at all.. maybe with good reason if it resembles this).

"Machine Fish" was a running gag.  (as I alluded to in my video)   About the time that the Galactic Cowboys were signed, many of the bands that "made it" had either the word "machine" or "fish" in their names.   So they made the joke that they *should* have named themselves "Machine Fish"...then they would have hit it big.   Thus, the title of the album.    But then after that, they decided to write a suite of songs about their experience in being picked up, chewed up, and spit out by the music machine/industry/business.   So "The Machine Fish Suite" seemed appropriate.

BTW...Geffen really was behind them...until Nirvana became the darling of the label.   If you remember the movie "Airheads" with Brendon Frasier, Steve Bushemi, and Adam Sandler....The Galactic Cowboys had a cameo as "the band that got signed" by the radio station playing their single.   In the movie, they were called "Sons of Thunder" and they played a song called "Don't Hate Me (Because I'm Beautiful)".     Interestingly enough, The Galactic Cowboys wrote that song for the movie...were featured in the movie playing that song...and then the song subsequently DID NOT appear on the Airheads soundtrack (which *did* feature songs that were never played in the movie....go figure).

The song was never heard in its entirety because the rights to the recording were retained by the movie studio.   So the song has become something of a legend...because no one has ever heard the song outside of the few seconds that were featured in the movie.

But I just exchanged a couple of Emails with Monty where I brought up the idea of re-recording the song, and he said that it had never occurred to him and it sounded like a great idea and that he would bring up the idea to the other guys.    I do not know if anything will ever come of that...but I did think it was cool that Monty was at least interested in the idea.

That would be an interesting 25th anniversary present to the fans anyway.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
Yeah I remember Airheads and read about GC/Sons of Thunder a couple weeks ago.   :rollin

I'm trying to recall the bands in the 90s with Machine or Fish in the name.

Rage against the Machine
Machinehead
Fishbone

That's all I got right now.

On a related note my copy of "At the end of the day", the last track doesn't read properly. I get about 1m1s of it, instead of 3+ minutes.  I gotta get with my vendor to see about another copy.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2013, 10:34:05 PM »
ITT Mindflux totally misunderstands the Galactic Cowboy's backstory and discography. It's actually a fascinating cautionary story for would-be rock stars and they paint a clever and complex picture of their experience from one album to the next. Definitely a band that deserves a listen through in album order.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2013, 09:58:34 AM »
ITT Mindflux totally misunderstands the Galactic Cowboy's backstory and discography. It's actually a fascinating cautionary story for would-be rock stars and they paint a clever and complex picture of their experience from one album to the next. Definitely a band that deserves a listen through in album order.

That may be because the only disc I have listened to right now is "At the end of the day".  "Machine Fish" and "The horse that bud bought" just came in yesterday but I've not listened.

I just noticed these discs say "A Wilde Silas musicwork".  Are you just a big fan or a band member?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:09:23 AM by Mindflux »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2013, 10:15:50 AM »
They do?   I thought only the first two albums said that?  In fact, I'm looking at At the End of the Day and I don't see Wilde Silas anywhere.    They stopped doing that at the same time King's X did....though no really detailed explanation was ever given by either band. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2013, 10:27:07 AM »
They do?   I thought only the first two albums said that?  In fact, I'm looking at At the End of the Day and I don't see Wilde Silas anywhere.    They stopped doing that at the same time King's X did....though no really detailed explanation was ever given by either band.

I just got Space in your face and the self titled today, so that's what I was looking at when I typed that out. Only because I recognized it as the guys username as well. Otherwise I wouldn't have ever noticed it.

So now I've got:

S/T
Space In your Face
Machine Fish
The Horse That Bud Bought
At The End Of the Day (defective, waiting for replacement)

I'm waiting for Feel The Rage, and I need to order Let It Go.

Offline ronrule

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2013, 12:34:07 PM »
I believe Wilde Silas is associated with the records Sam Taylor produced.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2013, 01:28:46 PM »
I believe Wilde Silas is associated with the records Sam Taylor produced.

Ya this.  And I got the impression (both from the bands material post-Sam Taylor and the fact that neither band speaks of it) that the whole situation was a pretty sore subject. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2014, 03:17:24 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkFIzATZIeg

Enjoy the song "Where Are You Now", but for some fun pay attention at the 5:30 mark.  The band continues jamming as the bassist Monty Colvin does the phone call everybody has thought about at one time.  Getting some fame and calling up some girl you wanted in high school that didn't even know you existed.  It doesn't quite go the way of the fantasy however.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2014, 09:43:01 AM »
Remember me??  High School???   

:rollin :rollin

That song has always been a favorite of mine.  I know it well.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2014, 01:03:09 PM »
I love the entire Space in Your Face record. But Where Are You Now certainly stands out in a lot of ways.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2014, 09:03:10 PM »
Girl: "What was the name again?"

Monty: "Galactic Cowboys."

Girl: "But it's not a country band?"

Monty: "No...."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2016, 11:18:47 PM »
Monty Colvin has officially announced on his podcast that The Galactic Cowboys WILL record a new album with the original lineup (Dane Sonnier will be back on guitar).    He says that it's not fan funded, they have actually been signed to a label, but he didn't specify which one, other than to say it was a "progressive" label....but not as in "prog rock"....more as in "progressive forms of music"...

I'm completely excited and totally shocked.   This was a reunion that I honestly did not think would ever happen!!!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2016, 11:35:42 PM »
HOLY SHIT

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »
yes, that is awesome news jammindude. I need to check out that podcast, as I recall you passed it along a few months ago and I enjoyed some of them.

new Galactic Cowboys could potentially be awesome (many reunions are like The Tea Party album from 2014..but then some are not like the 1st Big Wreck reunion record..the 2nd 1 was a lot better though).

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2016, 01:39:28 AM »
Awesome news indeed!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2017, 06:09:14 AM »
Fall Release including on Vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfj2N4ojfc0

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2017, 07:41:16 AM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2017, 10:18:43 AM »
https://progressivemusicplanet.com/2017/08/14/galactic-cowboys-return-with-original-line-up-and-first-album-in-17-years/

Music Theories Recordings/Mascot Label Group are thrilled to announce the signing of 90’s progressive metal adventurers Galactic Cowboys who return with the original line up and their first album in 17 years.

Dane Sonnier (Guitar), Ben C. Huggins (Vocals), Alan Doss (Drums/Keyboards) and Monty Colvin (Bass) are strapped in, heading back to the Ranch on Mars and are recording together for the first time since 1993’s ‘Space In Your Face’, to rain down a sonic meteor shower later this year.

The Houston, Texas quartet caught the attention of Geffen Records with their eclectic blend of melodic vocals, thrashing riffery and progressive explorations to release their self-titled debut in 1991, the same year as label mates Nirvana’s ‘Nevermind’. Though the antithesis of grunge, the Cowboys none the less chalked up videos in heavy MTV rotation, and a memorable appearance in 1994’s ‘Airheads’. Tours followed with Dream Theater, King’s X, Anthrax and Overkill. Going on to release an additional 5 albums, the group disbanded after 2000’s ‘Let It Go’. Their music left a lasting mark on many musicians, including fans Mike Portnoy, Kerry Livgren (Kansas) and Eric Singer (KISS).

Talking about joining Music Theories Recordings (Ayreon, Flying Colors, Don Airey, Neal Schon, Paul Gilbert), Monty Colvin shares, “I am very excited to restart the artistic engine of Galactic Cowboys and bring the universe new music! We’re looking forward to a great working relationship with Mascot!”

“We said we’d only come back if the world needed us. When Mascot sent out the distress call we knew it was time to return. Get ready world. Here come Galactic Cowboys!” adds Ben C Huggins.

Talking about the addition to the label, CEO Ed Van Zijl went on to say, “Every music enthusiast has a favourite band that they dream would reunite one day. Fans worldwide will be stoked to see Galactic Cowboys back in their original line-up, and so are we. We’re excited to have them be part of our growing Mascot family!”

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »
Can't wait! Been following those guys on FB. They are excited, as am I!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2017, 05:21:32 PM »
ORIGINAL LINEUP  :eek

Offline jammindude

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2017, 10:14:43 PM »
I'm *a bit* disappointed that they completely ignored their post-Dane output when they played their most recent reunion gig.   

I really hope that if they tour for this album, they don't pretend like the Wally stuff never existed.  I personally would rank ATEOTD higher than SIYF, and LIG as their all time masterpiece. 

1. Let It Go
2. Galactic Cowboys
3. At the End of the Day
4. The Horse That Bud Bought
5. Space In Your Face
6. Machine Fish

But for the record, I *love* every one of them.  Being low on the list in this case does not speak to any weakness of those albums....just to the strength of the others.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2017, 09:52:09 PM »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2017, 08:38:47 AM »

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2017, 08:09:24 AM »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2017, 10:25:08 AM »
I really like it. Wish they would have put a solo in there, but those vocal harmonies -- still golden!  :tup

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2017, 01:25:04 PM »
Long Way Back To The Moon - Nov. 17th.

This is an auto-buy for me.

Album Info and Pre-order:

https://usa.mascotlabelgroup.com/New-Galactic-Cowboys-album-and-video-after-17-years

This quote was in the email I got from Mascot:

“The Galactic Cowboys were (and still are) one of my favorite bands to emerge from the 90's. Great songwriting, killer players and euphoric harmonies. They were always criminally underrated and overlooked, which led to their premature demise in 2000. My last 17 years have had a hole in my musical palate without them and I couldn't be happier at the announcement of their return! Welcome back boys...I missed you!” — Mike Portnoy
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2017, 04:05:43 PM »
yeah same.

totally excited for this.

"Internal Masquerade" is catchy as hell.

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2017, 09:44:49 AM »
New song out, Zombies. https://youtu.be/7G1hRWzfTgY

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2017, 08:24:33 AM »