Author Topic: Christmas music  (Read 3651 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Christmas music
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2017, 07:21:04 AM »
You are either near my age or just have an old soul.  :lol

26. Just a brittle, old soul  :lol

God damn! I've got four children older than you!  :biggrin:

I remember a time when I thought people at 26 were old. I feel like a child now.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2017, 07:38:20 AM »
I had a smooth jazz/new age period sometime in the 90s when I picked up a bunch of holiday collections from one of the CD clubs.
The GRP Christmas collections were jazz and one of them had a killer version of "Linus and Lucy" by David Benoit.

But this is one of my favorites, from the Windham Hill "A Winter's Solstice" collections (relaxing, mellow, atmospheric, new agey).

"Crystal Palace" by Øystein Sevåg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WhIBVh2Fyg

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »
I've purchased both the Alpha Rev and Bela Fleck albums listed above. Thank you, folks!

Awesome!  :tup I hope you like Jingle All The Way as much as I do! Please post your thoughts on it as soon as you get around to listening to it!

A couple more recommendations I want to make are the December People albums, headed up by Robert Berry. The first album re-imagines Christmas tunes in the style of classic rock and prog, while the second album is mostly focused on classic rock. They've since released two more albums that are a mix of tracks from their first two albums and a few new tunes, still all based on other artists' songs, which can have some neat effects. If you're a fan of a lot of the bands they pay homage to, you'll enjoy their takes on them with Christmas lyrics.

And of course, I'd be a poor Neal Morse fan if I didn't mention the Prog World Orchestra's A Proggy Christmas, featuring members of Transatlantic, Steve Hackett, and many more guests as they tackle some interesting arrangements of classic Christmas songs done by Neal Morse. There are several stand outs, but as a whole, the album is quite enjoyable and different from the usual standard rock-versions of these songs.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »
For those of you into Nightwish, their ex singer Tarja just released an album of Christmas songs in a dark, eerie and "Tim Burton-esque" style:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5T1sA6iXaihuFB6valfMd7

"From Spirits and Ghosts (Score for a Dark Christmas"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2017, 12:28:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLlzX0DObCY

Brandnew Christmas album by German awesome crazy guys Panzerballett. The video mostly contains interviews.

Trailer with music snippets only: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nut3Nx8aMvs

:metal

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »
I've purchased both the Alpha Rev and Bela Fleck albums listed above. Thank you, folks!

Awesome!  :tup I hope you like Jingle All The Way as much as I do! Please post your thoughts on it as soon as you get around to listening to it!

I love it! And most importantly, Mrs. P loves it too. She's particularly tickled with when they do add vocals that they have a "Minion quality" (her words) to them.  :lol

The banjo really adds a lot of flavor to the arrangements that is a nice contrast to our usual playlist.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens