Author Topic: Do people take the internet too seriously?  (Read 3568 times)

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
Do people take the internet too seriously?
« on: May 13, 2011, 06:54:24 AM »
Just a simple question.  Might make for an interesting discussion.  My vote is:  YES.  Yes, people take the internet way too seriously.  For example: Justin Bieber fans/ non-fans.  Another example: forums.  Both of these examples are evidence of people taking the internet way too seriously, in my opinion.  Any thoughts on this?
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Do people take the internet too seriously?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 07:01:35 AM »
Who are you and what have you done with my SnakeEyes?! :lol  Oh and Yes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:03:30 AM »
I'm pretty laid back, compared to say.... five or six years ago.  LOL   .... but, this isn't about me.  It's about the internet in general.  :)
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:05:15 AM »
Considering that there is zero on the internet that should be taken seriously, yes, people take the internet too seriously.

And we're all guilty of it, which is the best part.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ehra

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 07:06:52 AM »
Why shouldn't a conversation over the internet be taken as seriously as any other type of conversation?

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 07:12:20 AM »
Why shouldn't a conversation over the internet be taken as seriously as any other type of conversation?

In my opinion, it depends on what the "conversation" is about.  In real life, if you were talking to someone else about say.... a DT song.... you could say: "I think [pick song title] SUCKS BALLS and I think [insert band member] is a total douche bag" and the other person might disagree with you, but it's just a difference of opinion.  On the internets, if you said something like what I just described, four "mods" would be on your ass "warning" you in about five seconds.  Of course some may say that's a bad example and maybe it is.  I'm just illustrating the difference between a "real" conversation (as in REAL LIFE) and one that might be taken a little too seriously online. 

Offline ehra

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 07:19:05 AM »
I think that's more a case of people being quicker to get pissed over things online than necessarily taking it "too seriously."

I always thought the "you take things online too seriously lol" thing was stupid. There's nothing wrong with taking things "seriously," you can do so without going into a rage over stupid things like what music someone does or doesn't like.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 07:21:27 AM »
Okay, fair enough. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 07:23:23 AM »
I'm kinda with ehra. Even through an anonymous veil if you hit the right buttons on a forum/internet that will make a person rage in real life you're going to get about the same reaction. It has nothing really to do with taking the internet seriously and everything to do with that individual's personality.

The only thing about the internet that might lead to some confusion is how certain words are emphasized (bold, italtics, caps) and since things like sarcasm are more dependent on word choice rather than tone (non-existent online for the most part) misunderstanding certain things increases tenfold.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 07:27:10 AM »
Sometimes that the problem orc, people take liberties when they have that veil and wouldn't say some of the same things they would do face to face.  Is that better or worse?  That's the real question to me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 07:36:16 AM »
Having done my fair share of trolling in my day, I can very much agree that people do.

About six months ago or so, my friend broke up with his girlfriend of two years after she, well, she turned into a bitch. She tried playing the victim, but my friends and I went in there and cleared that up. Her family goes in and gets overly defensive. Eventually it turns into us making our (rather negative) comments amongst ourselves.

About 600 comments later, this kid named Nate pops up. He starts white knighting, internet tough guying, and generally being butthurt. Tries the standard "WELL YOU CAN ONLY SAY IT CUZ ITS THE INTERNET YOU'D BE SCARED FOR REAL." So I tell him he can meet me after work. Tell him when and where. He tells me he's going to fight me, I need to get a good nights sleep for the fight. All this other bravado about how he's going to kick my ass. My friends and I all sign off to go to bed shortly after, all laughing about the guy taking the internet so seriously.

Next say, I'm closing up. Nate shows up, he even brought a friend. I tell my friends about it. General consensus is "take the hit, get him arrested." I'm ready for this. So I finish up, I start to walk out. He stops me. He then begins to berate me about how I'm just sooo pathetic. How could I even say things like that. I obviously have no life. I should find a hobby, maybe I should cut myself. Or maybe I should just kill myself. I laughed, told him he takes the internet too seriously, and went home. It was a good day.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 07:49:41 AM »
People can take it too seriously (see above post for the butthurt), or they can think it's a free for all and get away with it. I've been guilty of both.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 07:54:56 AM »
Even through an anonymous veil if you hit the right buttons on a forum/internet that will make a person rage in real life you're going to get about the same reaction. It has nothing really to do with taking the internet seriously and everything to do with that individual's personality.

Exactly.  In general you have people who tend to be courteous and respectful in conversation, just as they would at a party or other social gathering, and you have people who are dicks.  The difference is that because they're not  actually standing in the presence of the people with whom they're conversing, they feel free to say things they might not otherwise say.  In other words, dicks will be even greater dicks over the Internet, while decent people tend to be decent anyway.  That's still a real person you're talking to, so don't be a dick.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 08:08:02 AM »
Having done my fair share of trolling in my day, I can very much agree that people do.

About six months ago or so, my friend broke up with his girlfriend of two years after she, well, she turned into a bitch. She tried playing the victim, but my friends and I went in there and cleared that up. Her family goes in and gets overly defensive. Eventually it turns into us making our (rather negative) comments amongst ourselves.

About 600 comments later, this kid named Nate pops up. He starts white knighting, internet tough guying, and generally being butthurt. Tries the standard "WELL YOU CAN ONLY SAY IT CUZ ITS THE INTERNET YOU'D BE SCARED FOR REAL." So I tell him he can meet me after work. Tell him when and where. He tells me he's going to fight me, I need to get a good nights sleep for the fight. All this other bravado about how he's going to kick my ass. My friends and I all sign off to go to bed shortly after, all laughing about the guy taking the internet so seriously.

Next say, I'm closing up. Nate shows up, he even brought a friend. I tell my friends about it. General consensus is "take the hit, get him arrested." I'm ready for this. So I finish up, I start to walk out. He stops me. He then begins to berate me about how I'm just sooo pathetic. How could I even say things like that. I obviously have no life. I should find a hobby, maybe I should cut myself. Or maybe I should just kill myself. I laughed, told him he takes the internet too seriously, and went home. It was a good day.

wow. yeah, that is an extremely convincing argument.

i guess that in certain instances people take it too serious.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 08:18:26 AM »
Yes. Seen a lot of that shit here too.

WHAT?!?!?! A THREAD MADE JUST TO JOKE AROUND?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! UNACCEPTABLE! LOCKED!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 08:20:02 AM »
People sometimes take the internet too seriously, just like everything gets taken too seriously sometimes. The internet isn't in its own special little category.

Usually the ones who are ultra-quick to play the "a hurr hurr ur so srs its the internet chill out" have a knack for provoking and pissing people off in real life.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 08:24:02 AM »
People sometimes take the internet too seriously, just like everything gets taken too seriously sometimes. The internet isn't in its own special little category.

Usually the ones who are ultra-quick to play the "a hurr hurr ur so srs its the internet chill out" have a knack for provoking and pissing people off in real life.

...Yeah. I do. It's fun in real life, too.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 09:03:50 AM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 09:12:32 AM »
Sure, some people do, while others don't take it seriously enough and think they can say anything at all. If I was talking to someone and they said in a way that every person in the vicinity could loudly hear "I think that band you like suck balls", I'd think they were just a dick and probably not associate with them again. There are some key differences though.

1. People are vastly less likely to do that in person, because they know it's a stupid thing to do.
2. On a forum, there's no way to avoid a person. These are public discussions that everyone is involved in.

That is why we have rules and enforce them, and so no we don't take the internet "too seriously" by doing so.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 09:17:45 AM »

Yes.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline j

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 01:20:55 PM »
OP: Yes.

It all goes back to the perceived anonymity.

-J

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
j takes the internet WAY too seriously. Srsly.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 01:37:49 PM »
I think its more people take what they read into heart. And get all butt-hurt over something not even worth the energy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
No.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 01:55:35 PM »

...Yeah. I do. It's fun in real life, too.
You're not impressing me at all. I fully expected this post to be a troll reply.

Get out.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
People take everything too seriously.

Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline j

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »
j takes the internet WAY too seriously. Srsly.

>:( :censored :censored :censored *rage*

-J

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 03:12:10 PM »
See? srsly.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
I think, on a message board, you've got more time to think about what you're going to say. If you say something a bit cunty face to face, that's usually spur of the moment. If you say something a bit cunty on a message board, that's premeditated.

It's the difference between making a mistake and being a bit of a wanker.

Although I'm posting (very!) drunk right now, and this feels like a bit of a cunty post, so I'm not saying that mistakes aren't made on the internet. This is an example of an internet-mistake, right here. But again, it's less conversational. If you come across as a bit of a tosspot, you can't say you're just being yourself, because there are about 200 other people who don't come across as tosspots and they're not exactly struggling. You're on someone else's turf, and it's ultimately your own fault if you get kicked off.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 04:32:29 PM »
I think the other thing about the internet, is it's not equivalent to chatting with your mates down the pub. It just gives everyone a podium, and some of these people point blank do not deserve podiums. Everybody's voice has equal weight and they get to broadcast it at equal volume. In the media, that absolutely wouldn't happen. A racist TV programme, for example, would not be broadcast. A racist post very possibly could. There's no filter - which becomes especially obvious when people start to think they're chatting, rather than broadcasting, whereas in truth it's really a bit of both.

Every post you make on the internet is a broadcast. A conversational one, sure, but it's a permanent document of your opinion at the time. And if you deserve to be taken off the air for it, you'll be taken off the air for it.

Moderators aren't exactly Ofcom, but they aren't exactly your mates either. It's a nice medium between natter and broadcasting. There are websites which have policies that I personally disagree with, and I don't end up posting on them very often. There's a certain Dream Theater fansite (ex-Dream Theater fansite, now, in fact), where a couple too many of my posts have wound up in the bermuda triangle and I've just decided it's too draconian. But it's their prerogative. I don't whinge, I just vote with my feet.

You've got to find the right middle ground for yourself, I feel. I like to go on websites where I don't feel like any old idiot can croon about their own half-baked opinions, I like to go places where proper discussion is fostered, so I'm usually grateful for moderation, rather than resentful of it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:37:33 PM by robwebster »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 05:05:44 PM »
Rob, you may be very drunk, but your spelling and grammar are excellent, and you've made some good points, rather eloquently in fact.  Bravo!

Offline Aniland

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »

In my opinion, it depends on what the "conversation" is about.  In real life, if you were talking to someone else about say.... a DT song.... you could say: "I think [pick song title] SUCKS BALLS and I think [insert band member] is a total douche bag" and the other person might disagree with you, but it's just a difference of opinion.  On the internets, if you said something like what I just described, four "mods" would be on your ass "warning" you in about five seconds.  Of course some may say that's a bad example and maybe it is.  I'm just illustrating the difference between a "real" conversation (as in REAL LIFE) and one that might be taken a little too seriously online. 

I don't see the problem.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 09:03:47 PM »

I don't see the problem.

The problem with SnakeEye's analogy is that not everything on the internet is comparable to having a few drinks and words with your mates. The internet is a social medium that is an extension of our society. While it is generally freer it is not complete anarchy and that is a good thing. As Rob said some people simply don't deserve that podium.

While someone outside of the internet might get in trouble for photographing 12 year old boys naked I think it's equally apt that those who traffic such photos on the internet also get in trouble. In the same matter this forum is not some magical pub. It is a privately owned Dream Theater fansite and people should respect it as such. Would you go to a Dream Theater concert and start spewing at the top of your lungs how various band members are douchebags? No, because you'd get your ass beaten and thrown out, and rightfully so.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1