Author Topic: So I'm currently running Linux  (Read 1587 times)

Offline TheMadgician

So I'm currently running Linux
« on: May 12, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
Specifically Ubuntu. Aside from FireFox 4.0 I'm digging this. Strong chance I'm going to install in the near future.

Just thought I'd let you all know.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: So I'm currently running Linux
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
 :yarr
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »

Thanks.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »
Make sure you follow tutorials on getting everything working if you've never used Linux before.  Most of the typical stuff is pretty trivial in Ubuntu, you just need to know to do it.  Lots of things, like dvd or mp3 playback, won't work on out of the box isntalls due to legal issues.  You really just have to go and click a couple boxes to make them work, though.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »
Yeah, I've worked with Fedora before, and took a class on Operating System Environments. If I remembered more of the Terminal commands, I'd call myself a good novice. But I've forgotten a lot. Luckily I still have my text book.

But yeah, I've got a pretty decent idea what I'm getting myself into. And I'll be dual booting. Worst comes to worst, I'll switch back to Windows for something.

I'm pretty excited about though. I'm really digging the way Ubuntu is set up. I love exploring new software.</computer geek>

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »
Howtoforge will have guides and lists for most of the common things to do right after an install.  I find those handy to browse whenever I install something.   I've been Linux only on my pc's for years now.  Ubuntu isn't my favourite, but it is probably the easiest to begin with because there is so much material online about it.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 02:09:11 PM »
Yeah, Ubuntu has a really big community, which is helpful. It's also a very windows-esque distro, more so than other distros, from what I understand. Basically it's Linux for Windows users.

Which, I"m not looking for a hardcore Linux experience at the moment. So Ubuntu works for me.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 02:23:32 PM »
Well, I wouldn't recommend anything but Ubuntu for most people just starting.  It's the standard at the moment.  I use it on my laptop, still, because it's easier to setup and I'm not as good with laptop hardware.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 02:27:40 PM »
Fair enough. Have you tried Fedora? I've found it really easy. I've only heard of a couple people having trouble with drivers, and those were only for wireless adapters. With the way its set up, it's very good for learning more about Linux on.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 02:27:59 PM »
Specifically Ubuntu. Aside from FireFox 4.0 I'm digging this. Strong chance I'm going to install in the near future.

:tup
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »
Fair enough. Have you tried Fedora? I've found it really easy. I've only heard of a couple people having trouble with drivers, and those were only for wireless adapters. With the way its set up, it's very good for learning more about Linux on.
Used but never installed Fedora, but I prefer more minimalist approaches to desktop.  I used to be a Slackware regular, but now I'm partial to a trimmed down Mandriva with a xfce desktop.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »
Fair enough. I'm not a big fan of minimalism in too many of my programs. Often comes off aesthetically displeasing to me.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 05:57:26 AM »
I have to say, I'm a realy sucker for the unit interface in the new Ubuntu, despite its niggles in this first release.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 03:21:01 AM »
I always use ubuntu, either desktop (at work) or netbook remix (on home computer)
have done for years too. Great OS, especially considering it is free!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 08:51:03 AM »
It really is. I'm a fan of Linux, I"ve just never gotten around to installing or anything. But by the end of the month, I should have it.