Author Topic: DTF's top 10 "'80s metal" bands  (Read 23956 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DTF's top 10 "'80s metal" bands
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2011, 02:13:50 PM »
I just learned from wiki that 2 of the founding members came from Cinderella.  

Exactly.  They weren't a Cinderella knockoff.  They were Cinderella.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2011, 02:27:59 PM »
Where is the love for Vinnie Vincent Invasion? :lol :lol

I liked the second album, when the rest of his band was basically Slaughter.  I didn't care for the singer on the first one.  Was there ever a third album?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2011, 02:28:53 PM »
I just learned from wiki that 2 of the founding members came from Cinderella.  

Exactly.  They weren't a Cinderella knockoff.  They were Cinderella.

Ah, now I get it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2011, 02:32:38 PM »

I liked the second album, when the rest of his band was basically Slaughter.  I didn't care for the singer on the first one.  Was there ever a third album?

No clue.  I only knew one song by them.  I can't remember the name, but I think it was from one of the Nightmare on Elm Street flicks.  I remember MTV playing the video for it for a spell.  For some reason, I thought of them while seeing all of the other 80s cheeseball metal bands listed in this thread. ;) :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2011, 02:33:53 PM »

I dug their stuff.. It was a panic! was Mark Slaughter the singer or is my brain getting old like the rest of me
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Pantherize

« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2011, 02:51:14 PM »
I liked VVI quite a bit.  Vinnie was a speed demon on the guitar and when he went solo, he went nuts trying to show that. It was enjoyable for what it was back then. Of course I was a teenager and a lot more impressed with just raw speed back then. I was totally into the whole Malmsteen/Shrapnel scene. 

Another speed demon guy was Impellitteri. He did an album with Graham Bonnet on vocals that was a pretty decent album. Stand In Line. They got one video played on MTV a little but the whole album was pretty solid. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »

I remember him bashing his chest about how Gene and Paul were holding him back (they were) then his album came out and I couldn't stand it!!  Robert Fleischman's voice was like fingernails on a chalkboard.  His second album was way better.  Then Vinny became his worst enemy.

Nooo! Invasion was a great album. The follow up wasn't a patch on it and I didn't take to Mark Slaughter's voice. And Vinnie toned down the over the top guitar as well.
What a wasted talent. Wrote some great songs and revived KISS' fortunes twice.

Offline Pantherize

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »

I remember him bashing his chest about how Gene and Paul were holding him back (they were) then his album came out and I couldn't stand it!!  Robert Fleischman's voice was like fingernails on a chalkboard.  His second album was way better.  Then Vinny became his worst enemy.

Nooo! Invasion was a great album. The follow up wasn't a patch on it and I didn't take to Mark Slaughter's voice. And Vinnie toned down the over the top guitar as well.
What a wasted talent. Wrote some great songs and revived KISS' fortunes twice.

Yeah,  Vinnie talked about the singer at the time and hyped the second album by saying he couldn't find the singer he originally wanted on the first album and now he'd found him. I remember being disappointed at hearing the second album. I still liked it but for as much as Vinnie hyped Slaughter as the best singer he'd ever heard, it was a bit of a letdown.  There were rumors forever about a third album that just never came to pass. It was the Duke Nukem Forever of the music world.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2011, 03:37:18 PM »
VVI's Twisted was a staple on my radio show. Great tune!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Zebra.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »
Why?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2011, 07:56:49 PM »
Why?

Fastest selling Debut album for Atlantic Records  I think they may still hold that distinction ...

n late 1982, Jason Flom signed Zebra to a five-record deal with Atlantic, although only the first was guaranteed. The self-titled debut, Zebra, was released on March 25, 1983 and became the fastest selling debut record in Atlantic Records history, selling an amazing 75,000 copies in the first week. Talk about pent up demand! The album stayed on the Billboard charts for eight months, peaking at number 29.

Love Zebra than and still do now

They still play the NY area a couple of times a year as well as Randy Jackson doing Symphonic shows...playing the best of Zeppelin
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2011, 08:03:41 PM »
Iron Maiden

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2011, 11:11:20 PM »
Depeche Mode
The Cure
Joy Division
New Order
The Sisters of Mercy
Pet Shop Boys
Killing Joke

:angel:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2011, 11:54:46 PM »
Why?

Fastest selling Debut album for Atlantic Records  I think they may still hold that distinction ...

n late 1982, Jason Flom signed Zebra to a five-record deal with Atlantic, although only the first was guaranteed. The self-titled debut, Zebra, was released on March 25, 1983 and became the fastest selling debut record in Atlantic Records history, selling an amazing 75,000 copies in the first week. Talk about pent up demand! The album stayed on the Billboard charts for eight months, peaking at number 29.

They still play the NY area a couple of times a year as well as Randy Jackson doing Symphonic shows...playing the best of Zeppelin

Okay, but Zebra strikes me as being classic rock, not hard rock or metal.  That first album is great, regardless. :tup :tup

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2011, 07:45:54 AM »
Why?

Okay, but Zebra strikes me as being classic rock, not hard rock or metal.  That first album is great, regardless. :tup :tup

I can agree with that statement..but than again the where would you classify bands like Zep (classic or hard)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2011, 09:53:27 AM »
i'm going to have to show some love for the first Blue Murder album as Bosk1 hinted at in the OP. Awesome debut but they never reached those heights again. And who knew John Sykes could sing?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »
Amen to Blue Murder's first album.  I saw Carmine Appice on That Metal Show last week and he said that he and John Sykes have been talking so cross your fingers on that one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »
Well this thread is all over the fraking place.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2011, 09:56:47 AM »
i'm going to have to show some love for the first Blue Murder album as Bosk1 hinted at in the OP. Awesome debut but they never reached those heights again. And who knew John Sykes could sing?

I think Ray Gillen was originally supposed to sing on that record, but then the label pushed Sykes to sing, instead.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »
I may not be remembering correctly, but I think it was just that whoever they had originally fell through (could have been Ray since he was busy), and that it was actually Tony and Carmine that pushed Sykes to just do the lead vocals.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2011, 01:41:54 PM »
I may not be remembering correctly, but I think it was just that whoever they had originally fell through (could have been Ray since he was busy), and that it was actually Tony and Carmine that pushed Sykes to just do the lead vocals.

I shall go look it up . . . .

Quote from: wiki Blue Murder article
Upon comparing the original demos with Sykes singing to the demos with Ray Gillen on vocals, A&R executive John Kalodner encouraged Sykes to handle the vocal duties himself.[1]

Poor Ray never could catch a break.

Quote from:  wiki Ray Gillen article
After finishing the Seventh Star tour, Black Sabbath recorded their next album The Eternal Idol with Gillen. However, due to mix of financial burden, writing difficulty (Bob Daisley was recruited for writing as Gillen turned out to be not much of a composer), mismanagement and miscommunication that plagued the band, Gillen and Black Sabbath drummer Eric Singer quit before the album was ever released. Gillen was eventually replaced by Tony Martin, and the vocal track of The Eternal Idol was hurriedly rerecorded note-for-note with Martin before the album was finally released in 1987.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2011, 11:46:02 PM »
Forgot to mention Riot.  Thundersteel is amazing!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Forgot to mention Riot.  Thundersteel is amazing!!

Ohh God...don't get me started on RIOT...these guys should have/could have been huge..from the first album onward, but poor management and a label that did nothing for the screwed them royally.

FIRE DOWN UNDER...with the late "Guy Speranza" is a master piece.  The title track and "Run For Your Life" are truly some of the first offerings of what would later become speed metal.

I had the priviledge of meeting and hanging out with Rhett (RIP) , he was really a wonderful human being and really appreciated the fans . I could go one for hours talking about RIOT .

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2011, 10:21:47 AM »
Don't get me going on Riot either. Narita is a TAC Top 25!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »
Some others...

Vicious Rumors- Digital Dictator is one of my favourite Metal albums, and the S/T and Welcome To The Ball were pretty good too.

Q5- Steel The Light was a great debut, but the follow up was a let down. I know some people love that one but it went a bit AOR for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2011, 08:01:41 PM »

FIRE DOWN UNDER...with the late "Guy Speranza" is a master piece.  The title track and "Run For Your Life" are truly some of the first offerings of what would later become speed metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwjuc3rDM_M

wki, were you at this show at My Father's Place. I have this on DVD.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2011, 08:04:30 PM »
Yep, Riot were extremelly underrated, amazing band.

Has anyone mentioned Agent Steel?  :metal :metal :metal

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2011, 06:44:07 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwjuc3rDM_M

wki, were you at this show at My Father's Place. I have this on DVD.

No I didn't get into them until the "Fire Down Under" Album and they seemed to spend alot of time after that album playing the European festival scene, by the time I finally got around to seeing them Guy had already left the band and Rhett was in

PS where the hell did you find that DVD ....me want

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2011, 02:33:50 PM »
I've been playing acouple of Canadian bands today- a compo of the three albums by Coney Hatch. the song Don't Say Make Me is killer.
And then a couple of albums by Harem Scarem- Mood Swings and Higher. Two great bands.
And while I'm on a Canuck kick I'll have to root out Winter Rose!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2011, 02:43:31 PM »
I actually bought the first Coney Hatch album. I saw them open for Maiden. The tape is long gone, but I do remember liking a couple of tunes on it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2011, 02:13:12 PM »
Today's 80s offering has been the S/T by Keel from (I think) 1987. Every song a winner and it's probably as close a definition of Hair Metal as it's possible to get.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2011, 06:46:54 PM »
Today's 80s offering has been the S/T by Keel from (I think) 1987. Every song a winner and it's probably as close a definition of Hair Metal as it's possible to get.

Never checked out Keel, sounds good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »
My memory tells me that Keel were terrible.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2011, 07:33:03 PM »
Does Styx count? What about Bon Jovi?