Author Topic: DTF's top 10 "'80s metal" bands  (Read 24016 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DTF's top 10 "'80s metal" bands
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »
Warlock / Doro
The Queen of Metal, Doro Pesch combined the basic sounds of Judas Priest and the Scorpions with her own unique songwriting and her distinctive and deceptively powerful voice, giving us four classic albums before going solo in 1988.  More then a decade before bands like Evanescence and Nightwish would make the concept of a female fronted metal band mainstream, this curvy German babe was rocking MTV with the likes of trademark metal anthems such as All We Are.  Hail to the Queen! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmnVNxEmBn4

Good call!  :tup  Although most consider this blasphemy, I traded my copy of Appetite For Destruction for Triumph And Agony, and never looked back.  Great, great album.  I also liked her first two solo albums (Force Majeure and Doro), but feel she dropped of a bit after that.  It just seemed like she focused more and more on ballads, and while she could still write some rockers, they tended to become shorter and more simplistic.  And none of the earlier Warlock albums felt nearly as strong as Triumph And Agony.  So, in a nutshell, that's why she isn't on my list.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 04:35:37 PM »

Good call!  :tup  Although most consider this blasphemy, I traded my copy of Appetite For Destruction for Triumph And Agony, and never looked back.  Great, great album.  I also liked her first two solo albums (Force Majeure and Doro), but feel she dropped of a bit after that.  It just seemed like she focused more and more on ballads, and while she could still write some rockers, they tended to become shorter and more simplistic.  And none of the earlier Warlock albums felt nearly as strong as Triumph And Agony.  So, in a nutshell, that's why she isn't on my list.  

Thanks!  Triumph and Agony is easily superior to Appetite (though AFD is still a great album).  I know that from the mid-90's onward her music hasn't been quite what it was, but this thread was mostly about the 80's and she had quite an impressive run.  Besides, if I didn't allow her on this list because of the relative weakness of some of her later material, then I certainly couldn't allow Queensryche either !

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »
1. Iron Maiden- The band that defined my high school and college years
2. Dio- What else is there to say?
3. Alice Cooper- I spent the second half of the decade listening to Alice almost exclusively. His 80's output was great. Flush The Fashion (80) Zipper Catches Skin (82) Constricter (86) and Raise Your Fist & Yell (87) are great.
4. Metallica- Rewrote metal as we knew it.
5. Van Halen- So influential
6. UFO- Love the early 80's Chapman stuff
7. Michael Schenker Group- This one man reset my musical compass in 1982.
8. Queensryche- an exciting and original band
9. Tesla- The most underrated band of the decade. Not hair metal by any stretch.
10. Ozzy Osbourne- Blizzard, Diary, and Bark are 3 of the best metal records of the decade.

EDIT to add Thin Lizzy's 80's output. Renegade (81) and Thunder And Lightning (82) are both TAC Top 25 albums.
Gary Moore too!!!

Those are my favorites..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:52:16 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »
Slayer.

Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 06:02:09 PM »
:therearenowords:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 06:04:10 PM »
 :lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »
Slayer.
This, why not.

Rollins Band
Jane's Addiction
Saint Vitus

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 06:12:56 PM »
I suppose I'll fill out my list.

1. Slayer
2. Kreator
3. Death
4. Exodus
5. Testament
6. Overkill
7. Venom
8. King Diamond
9. Mercyful Fate
10. Candlemass

The 80s was quite the period for metal.  :metal
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 06:19:48 PM »
Yeah...again, the lack of reading comprehension in this thread astounds me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 06:27:18 PM »
I forgot Helloween!!!!! :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 06:31:07 PM »
Yeah...again, the lack of reading comprehension in this thread astounds me.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »
Queensryche
Night Ranger
Damn Yankees
Tesla
Van Halen (only with Hagar)
Slaughter (a 90's band but they fit the profile)
Def Leppard (although their last few albums have been pretty bad)

That's about it. . .

Offline herydreather

• Indonesian Metal
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
1.Iron maiden
2.Van Halen
3.Queensyrche
4.Metallica
5.Megadeth
6.G n R
7.Cinderella
8.Extreme
9.Yngwie M
10.Mr. Big

I Love Indonesia

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Damn, forgot about UFO. Also, it makes no sense that Rush could be in here but if they can they'd be my number 2.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 08:42:48 PM »
Also, it makes no sense that Rush could be in here

Are they hard rock?  Yes.  Are they thrash, death, punk, or anything related to those subgenres?  No.  So how do they not fit?  Is it really that hard to understand very simple directions?  Seriously?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Also, it makes no sense that Rush could be in here

Are they hard rock?  Yes.  Are they thrash, death, punk, or anything related to those subgenres?  No.  So how do they not fit?  Is it really that hard to understand very simple directions?  Seriously?

I'll admit the "Hair Metal" "Glam Metal" thing threw me off. That stuff represents such a small amount of the music to come out of the 80s, so I do think it's weird that the post is opened up to the greater arena of hard-rock (which I guess kinda describes Rush) but not the areas which are much closer to it, like thrash. Why did you leave out that category? Having an 80's metal thread without the Big Four but open to Rush is just a bit strange.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »
1. Rush
2. Triumph
3. Zebra
4. Ozzy
5. Journey
6. Def Leppard
7. Queen
8. Metallica
9. Van Halen
10. Queensryche

I wish I could put Talking Heads and The Police on here, but they aren't really hard rock. 
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2011, 09:05:48 PM »
...thrash. Why did you leave out that category? Having an 80's metal thread without the Big Four but open to Rush is just a bit strange.

Because (1) we've already had a thread about the best thrash bands, and (2) most people in the '80s who listened to hard rock/metal would have considered bands like Rush and Queensryche to be similar enough to the other more typical bands listed here and were often fans of all of those, but considered thrash to be a completely separate entity and weren't necessarily fans of thrash.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2011, 09:46:48 PM »
My list could go forever.

1. IRON MAIDEN - Best metal band of all time.
2. SAVATAGE - One of my top favourites, very underrated and amazing tunes.
3. KING DIAMOND - All albums are essential but the first 4 are amazing.  Wonderful guitar playing.
4. WASP - Easily top 5 metal band for me.  Every albums of their is amazing, great, great band.
5. YNGWIE MALMSTEEN - Love this guy.  Great songs, great guitar playing and great vocals.
6. QUEENSRYCHE - Great run of albums all the way through the 80's and into the 90's.
7. JUDAS PRIEST - Love their 80's stuff, not much else to say, top band.
8. BLACK SABBATH - Love the Dio stuff but the Gillian, Hughes and Martin albums are the shit for me.
9. DIO - Holy Diver, Last in Line, Sacred Heart, amazing stuff.
10. MERCYFUL FATE - Melissa and Don't Break the Oath, enough said.

Honourable mentions;

Helloween, Dokken, Danger Danger, Winger, House of Lords, Whitesnake, Blue Murder, Y&T, Alice Cooper, Badlands, LIzzy Borden, Ozzy Osbourne, Manowar.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2011, 10:23:40 PM »
...thrash. Why did you leave out that category? Having an 80's metal thread without the Big Four but open to Rush is just a bit strange.

Because (1) we've already had a thread about the best thrash bands, and (2) most people in the '80s who listened to hard rock/metal would have considered bands like Rush and Queensryche to be similar enough to the other more typical bands listed here and were often fans of all of those, but considered thrash to be a completely separate entity and weren't necessarily fans of thrash.

Well I'm sorry for being 3 in the 80s then  :biggrin:

But I guess that means I can modify my list. And what about Queen?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:35:52 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2011, 12:25:05 AM »
Van Halen (roth only)
Maiden
Scorpions
Triumph
Whitesnake
Mercyful Fate/KD
Motley Crue
Yngwie
Dio
Queensryche

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2011, 07:29:40 AM »
Thank  God someone has taste here  (SPLENT/YESHABERTO/KING)

How can anyone mention the 80's without Triumph ?

Progressions of Power 1980
Allied Forces    1981
Never Surrender 1983
Thunder Seven 1984

I would put this run of 4 consecutive albums up against anyone's (PAST/PRESENT/FUTURE)

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2011, 07:32:06 AM »
I was so upset when Rick abruptly left the band.  Did you know the gut that they replaced Rick with is now filling in for Bon Jovi touring while Richie Sambora goes back to rehab?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2011, 07:43:17 AM »

Well I'm sorry for being 3 in the 80s then  :biggrin:

But I guess that means I can modify my list. And what about Queen?

Well, they aren't exactly what I had in mind, but yeah, I guess they sort of fit.  And they had significant '80s outpout, so I guess if you want to include them, include them.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2011, 09:00:38 AM »
Most of Queen's good stuff was in the 70s and 90s though. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2011, 09:04:11 AM »
Yeah, Queen's 80s albums are easily their worst. :p Although I do appreciate The Game and The Miracle.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2011, 10:24:29 AM »
This thread has seriously inspired me to get into more 80s metal. First up? Dio-era Sabbath.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2011, 11:03:03 AM »
Maiden
Ratt
Rough Cutt
Priest
Def Leppard
Ozzy
Dio
Sabbath w Dio
Armored Saint
TTQuick
Twisted Sister
Saxon
UFO
Thin Lizzy
MSG
Loundness
EZO
Black and Blue
Anthrax
Metallica
Y & T
Heaven
Talas

etc
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:50:06 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Pantherize

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2011, 12:06:33 PM »
Queensryche - I was just in awe of Geoff Tate - The Warning, Rage for Order and Mindcrime as a threesome were about as diverse as a band could get and still have all three releases be really solid and within the scope of the band.

Dokken - Loved Don's voice back then and George's guitar playing was tasteful and over the top at the same time. Loved the bands sense of humor as well. One of my first concerts ever.

Scorpions - Klause was a good singer and the band was just fun. Lots of good anthemic songs. Music was so much more fun and less serious back in the 80's.

Ozzy - Just a cycle of amazing guitar players. Randy, Jake, Zak. All great players. Randy gets all the hype but I think I liked Jake better. I remember watching him do the live solo for Bark at the Moon and having chills down my spine. Which leads to my next band..

Badlands - Their debut album was a criminally overlooked hard rock masterpiece. Ray was a very good singer (RIP). Carried off the soft spoken vocals as well as the kick ass Robert Plant style so well. I remember learning to play High Wire on guitar and it was such a fun song to play. The band just had an electricity about them. I had to buy their debut album 4 times because my friends kept not returning the CD. Such a shame this band didn't get more recognition. They were fantastic.

Cinderella - For being part of the glam/hair thing, they were one of the more solid bands. I think one of the bands of the era that could have adapted and survived if Tom's voice hadn't had so much trouble. My brother who hated most of the glam/hair bands actually wound up liking these guys. I learned quite a few of the songs on Night Songs on guitar. Simple yet fun songs to play.

Great White - Another really solid band that wasn't really a glam/hair band but they came along at that time and kinda had to play the game a little. I really think one of the reasons they didn't get bigger than they were was because Jack Russel was just butt ugly and couldn't pull off the look.  :lol Come to think of it, the whole lot was pretty rough looking with the exception of the younger bass player they had for a while (name escapes me). I believe this was one of the bands that Robert Plant was making reference to when saying that some of the guys were trying so hard to be him that they actually did him better than he did. They covered more than their share of Zep songs and did them quite well.

King Diamond / Mercyful Fate - This may be stretching the category a little, although I think they still fit into the metal category without going into thrash/speed/punk. I LOVED King Diamond back in the day. Perhaps doesn't hold up quite as well as some of the others but his music had such an energy. Really think Andy Larocque is a pretty underrated guitar player. He came up with some brilliant riffs and solos. Heavy use of keyboards was pretty novel in the way they were used to create a darker atmosphere rather than in a proggy/poppy context.  And Mikkey Dee on drums...how can you go wrong? 

WASP - As much shit as they took and despite most people thinking they weren't much more than a novelty act, they put out some pretty good tunes. Blackie had one of those voices you either loved or hated, not much middle ground. WASP Live in the Raw still ranks in my top 20 live albums. Good up through the Crimson Idol which was early 90's iirc.

Europe / John Norum -  I really liked Joey Tempest's voice. Nobody did the cheesy ballad better than him. John Norum was an excellent guitar player and his solo album after he left was very solid.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2011, 12:19:23 PM »
That reminds me:  Anyone remember the Cinderella-knock-off band Britny Fox?  Or Kingdom Come, the band often accused of being a Led Zepplin clone?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »
I hated the lead sinfers voice from Britny Fox.  I saw Kingdom Come on The Monster Of Rock Tour.  They were good but I liked Lenny Wolf in Stone Fury.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2011, 12:47:28 PM »
That reminds me:  Anyone remember the Cinderella-knock-off band Britny Fox? 

THEY WERE NOT A KNOCK-OFF!!!  :rant:

But, yeah, good band.  I thought they were much better with Tommy on vocals than with Deen.  And Michael Kelly Smith is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2011, 01:51:32 PM »
That reminds me:  Anyone remember the Cinderella-knock-off band Britny Fox? 

THEY WERE NOT A KNOCK-OFF!!!  :rant:

But, yeah, good band.  I thought they were much better with Tommy on vocals than with Deen.  And Michael Kelly Smith is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Well, for their first album, at least, both their look and their sound was very Cinderella, and, I just learned from wiki that 2 of the founding members came from Cinderella. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2011, 02:08:47 PM »
Where is the love for Vinnie Vincent Invasion? :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
Where is the love for Vinnie Vincent Invasion? :lol :lol

I remember him bashing his chest about how Gene and Paul were holding him back (they were) then his album came out and I couldn't stand it!!  Robert Fleischman's voice was like fingernails on a chalkboard.  His second album was way better.  Then Vinny became his worst enemy.