Author Topic: DTF's top 10 "'80s metal" bands  (Read 24027 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: DTF's top 10 "'80s metal" bands
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »
Okay, for the sake of at least getting a list up, here are my picks.  I will type up my analysis, explanations, and favorite songs and post them here a little later.

1. Poison
2. Warrant
3. Cinderella
4. Dokken
5. Def Leppard
6. Guns n Roses
7. Whitesnake
8. Bon Jovi
9. Motley Crue
10. Winger

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
Okay, here are the "official" results:

1.   Iron Maiden - 82
2.   Queensryche – 61
3.   Van Halen – 34
4.   Rush – 31
5.   Savatage – 23
6.   Def Leppard - 20
7.   Triumph, Cinderella – 19
9.   Ozzy Osbourne – 18
10.   Motley Crue - 16

Honorable mentsions
-Judas Priest – 15
-Dio, Extreme – 14
-Poison, Warrant – 13
-Skid Row, Merciful Fate/King Diamond – 12
-Tesla, Guns & Roses – 11
-Badlands, Dokken, Winger – 10
-Y&T, Scorpions, Whitesnake, WASP – 9

Rush likely would have finished top 3 if one of biggest Rush fans on the forum would have actually voted for them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »
I facepalm'd.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2011, 12:16:50 PM »
Yeah but you can't really put Rush with any of those "hair guys" (and exceptions like Maiden and Priest).  Especially when their music in the 80s was nearly as heavy as everyone else being mentioned.

Not really big on that kind of stuff anyways.  Other than Ryche and Maiden, Motley Crue, Dio, Whitesnake, and VH would be the only artists from this particular pot I occasionally listen to (not counting Extreme or Mr. Big since they really started doing their thing in the 90s).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2011, 12:31:11 PM »
I facepalm'd.

I imagine the middle and bottom would look very different if more people had ranked instead of just listing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2011, 12:32:01 PM »
1-RIOT
2-Triumph
3 -Thin Lizzy
4- Zebra
5-Scorpions
6-Saxon
7-UFO
8-Twisted Sister
9-Wasp
10-Cinderella
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »
I facepalm'd.

I imagine the middle and bottom would look very different if more people had ranked instead of just listing.

Or if this had been discussed somewhere other than a DT forum.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2011, 12:43:03 PM »
Well, yeah, that too.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »
1-RIOT
2-Triumph
3 -Thin Lizzy
4- Zebra
5-Scorpions
6-Saxon
7-UFO
8-Twisted Sister
9-Wasp
10-Cinderella

Never listened to Zebra, but a solid list otherwise.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2011, 12:55:34 PM »
Okay, so here's my slightly more involved and explanatory list.  I’d given this a lot of thought, and even then, it was difficult.  Ranking them was tough.  I love 80’s hair metal mostly, but I may have included a band or two that aren’t specifically hair metal, by most peoples'definitions.  Bands that sing about drinking, partying, and f*cking are pretty much my thing.

1. Poison – Seriously, for my money, they’d have to be the first band one would think of when it comes to 80’s hair metal.  Their hair was huge and they dressed like rock stars. Great party music that shows the band’s personality perfectly.  Nothin’ but a Good Time is about as anthemic as it gets.  Any playlist at a good party is incomplete without Poison on it.  Last time I saw Poison, I’m not sure if C.C.’s feet ever actually touched the stage.  He danced around like a madman rockstar all night.  Awesome.  Other favorites are the obvious ones, but I really like Fallen Angel.  One notable negative mark for these guys is Every Rose Has Its Thorn.  I don’t care if I never hear it ever again.

2. Warrant – Like Poison, they were masters of hair and excess.  Catchy tunes, twin guitars, and a great sound.  Not enough to take Poison from the top spot, but close.  They (like Poison and many other bands) wrote tunes that, for me, are just undeniably mood-enhancing.  Songs that make you wanna roll the windows down, crank the stereo up to the threshold of pain, and cruise down to the beach to check out scantily clad babes and party the night away.  Down Boys, Cherry Pie, Love in Stereo, So Damn Pretty, etc.

3. Cinderella – Seeing a theme here?  Hair and women’s fashion sense.  Tom Keifer’s voice is fantastic and he is a crazy underrated guitar player.  I saw them at M3 last year, and despite the Scorpions being the headliner, all the reviews I read indicated that Cinderella stole the show.  Gypsy Road is one of my favorite songs, by Cinderella or anyone.  It’s one of those kinda songs I referenced above.  Then you have other great tunes like Shake Me, The More Things Change, Shelter Me, Heartbreak Station (one of my all-time favorite ballads, incidentally).  Great band.

4. Dokken – Lots of hair, but what I call “serious hair”.  Their songs were less about “Hey, let’s party”, but a slightly more introspective, dramatic, or serious look at things.  They seemingly wrote more songs in minor keys, solos with odd scalar lines, etc.  It all worked great, though.  It gave them a slightly darker feel, as I implied above, but there were the occasional major key exceptions, like Burnin’ Like a Flame and Sleepless Night.  George Lynch is a wicked guitar player and I always love Don Dokken’s voice, though it’s now a shadow of its former self.  Other favorite songs are Prisoner, Heaven Sent, The Hunter, and In My Dreams.  Under Lock and Key is one of my favorite albums.

5. Def Leppard – This band is a f*cking hit-making machine.  Though it took them forever to come up with new albums, it didn’t matter.  The strength of each album was enough to be satisfying til the new one came out.  High and Dry, Pyromania, and Hysteria is as good a 3-album run as it gets.  The production they got was always one of their biggest selling points.  The background vocals in particular always had a certain slightly overdriven quality to them that really make them stand out.  This band has more classics than you could shake a good head of hair at.  High and Dry (Saturday Night), Photograph, Rock of Ages, Hysteria, etc.  Hell, as much as I tire of it, Pour Some Sugar on Me is an undeniable toe-tapper and always gets the ladies dancing, if your band can pull it off.

6.  Guns n Roses – Appetite for Destruction.  Plain and simple.  I’ll reiterate the two things I always say about this album.  If someone asked me the easiest way to learn to play rock drums, I’d say “learn AFD inside and out”.  It is a textbook example of how to play kick-ass, hard-hitting, no apologies rock and roll drums.  Also, there is not one song on this album that you would be out of place in a strip club.  A couple of songs are a little fast to dance to, but still.  I’ve listened to this album so much that it should be criminal.

7.  Whitesnake – Again, lots of fantastic hair and great hits.  It starts to get a little confusing, because the s/t album is gold from start to finish, but not a shred of the promo or videos you see for it represents any of the people who actually recorded on, aside from Coverdale.  No matter.  John Sykes completely tears it up on this album.  True story – if you play this album more than twice in a row, your CD player will start to smoke.  Then DC moves on to do Slip of the Tongue with Steve Vai “fulfilling all guitar responsibilities”.  Awesome.  Many, including Adrian Vandenberg, didn’t like Vai’s style for Whitesnake.  Being a Vai fan, I loved it.

8.  Bon Jovi – Their hair was a little more tame, but their hits weren’t, really.  Raise Your Hands is as good a show opener as any I’ve ever heard.  What an ass-kicker.  JBJ and Richie Sambora are an amazing duo.  I remember a bit they did at the MTV music awards, the year George Harrison died.  The show opens to show a small lit platform with JBJ, RS on acoustic guitar, and a string duo.  Everything else is dark.  They do a ridiculously great version of Here Comes the Sun.  As they start the second verse a huge screen comes up in the background, showing lots of pics of George and the Beatles.  It was so perfectly well done.  Unreal.  So yeah, even if the band didn’t exist, the two of them could record acoustic stuff alone and get by.  I saw Bon Jovi a few years ago.  They did Livin’ on a Prayer towards then end of the night.  They did NOT downtune it to make it easier for JBJ to sing.  Impressive.

9.  Motley Crue – Like a marriage of glam and hard rock/heavy metal.  The look says “we’re clearly, undeniably in an 80’s rock band” and the sound said “don’t f*ck with us, because we’ll kick your ass and f*ck your girlfriend”.  Something like Looks That Kill makes you involuntarily show the horns and bang your head, like you have no choice but to rock.  Also, Girls, Girls, Girls is another essential for cover bands to play.  It will bring damn near every female in the place to the dance floor.  This is especially important when the dance floor is directly in front of the band.

10.  Winger – At this point, I’ve run out of gas and am tired of making explanations, so I’ll say simply that if anybody took as much of a beating as these guys did, then they can’t be that bad.  When Stewart wore a Winger shirt, in contract to B&B’s AC/DC and Metallica shirts, you knew they were in for trouble.  It’s like Roxy Blue.  I read a review for their (one) album in a guitar magazine, back in the day.  It eviscerated them and the album.  My first thought?  “That bad, huh?  I’m going to LOVE it!”  I was right.  So yeah, Seventeen is awesome, because it pretty much says what’s going through most guys minds at some given point or another.  Also, Madalaine is an awesome song.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »
Wow, now that's a definative 80's list. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2011, 02:03:06 PM »
Okay, so here's my slightly more involved and explanatory list.  I’d given this a lot of thought, and even then, it was difficult.  Ranking them was tough.  I love 80’s hair metal mostly, but I may have included a band or two that aren’t specifically hair metal, by most peoples'definitions.  Bands that sing about drinking, partying, and f*cking are pretty much my thing.

1. Poison – Seriously, for my money, they’d have to be the first band one would think of when it comes to 80’s hair metal.  Their hair was huge and they dressed like rock stars. Great party music that shows the band’s personality perfectly.  Nothin’ but a Good Time is about as anthemic as it gets.  Any playlist at a good party is incomplete without Poison on it.  Last time I saw Poison, I’m not sure if C.C.’s feet ever actually touched the stage.  He danced around like a madman rockstar all night.  Awesome.  Other favorites are the obvious ones, but I really like Fallen Angel.  One notable negative mark for these guys is Every Rose Has Its Thorn.  I don’t care if I never hear it ever again.

2. Warrant – Like Poison, they were masters of hair and excess.  Catchy tunes, twin guitars, and a great sound.  Not enough to take Poison from the top spot, but close.  They (like Poison and many other bands) wrote tunes that, for me, are just undeniably mood-enhancing.  Songs that make you wanna roll the windows down, crank the stereo up to the threshold of pain, and cruise down to the beach to check out scantily clad babes and party the night away.  Down Boys, Cherry Pie, Love in Stereo, So Damn Pretty, etc.

3. Cinderella – Seeing a theme here?  Hair and women’s fashion sense.  Tom Keifer’s voice is fantastic and he is a crazy underrated guitar player.  I saw them at M3 last year, and despite the Scorpions being the headliner, all the reviews I read indicated that Cinderella stole the show.  Gypsy Road is one of my favorite songs, by Cinderella or anyone.  It’s one of those kinda songs I referenced above.  Then you have other great tunes like Shake Me, The More Things Change, Shelter Me, Heartbreak Station (one of my all-time favorite ballads, incidentally).  Great band.

4. Dokken – Lots of hair, but what I call “serious hair”.  Their songs were less about “Hey, let’s party”, but a slightly more introspective, dramatic, or serious look at things.  They seemingly wrote more songs in minor keys, solos with odd scalar lines, etc.  It all worked great, though.  It gave them a slightly darker feel, as I implied above, but there were the occasional major key exceptions, like Burnin’ Like a Flame and Sleepless Night.  George Lynch is a wicked guitar player and I always love Don Dokken’s voice, though it’s now a shadow of its former self.  Other favorite songs are Prisoner, Heaven Sent, The Hunter, and In My Dreams.  Under Lock and Key is one of my favorite albums.

5. Def Leppard – This band is a f*cking hit-making machine.  Though it took them forever to come up with new albums, it didn’t matter.  The strength of each album was enough to be satisfying til the new one came out.  High and Dry, Pyromania, and Hysteria is as good a 3-album run as it gets.  The production they got was always one of their biggest selling points.  The background vocals in particular always had a certain slightly overdriven quality to them that really make them stand out.  This band has more classics than you could shake a good head of hair at.  High and Dry (Saturday Night), Photograph, Rock of Ages, Hysteria, etc.  Hell, as much as I tire of it, Pour Some Sugar on Me is an undeniable toe-tapper and always gets the ladies dancing, if your band can pull it off.

6.  Guns n Roses – Appetite for Destruction.  Plain and simple.  I’ll reiterate the two things I always say about this album.  If someone asked me the easiest way to learn to play rock drums, I’d say “learn AFD inside and out”.  It is a textbook example of how to play kick-ass, hard-hitting, no apologies rock and roll drums.  Also, there is not one song on this album that you would be out of place in a strip club.  A couple of songs are a little fast to dance to, but still.  I’ve listened to this album so much that it should be criminal.

7.  Whitesnake – Again, lots of fantastic hair and great hits.  It starts to get a little confusing, because the s/t album is gold from start to finish, but not a shred of the promo or videos you see for it represents any of the people who actually recorded on, aside from Coverdale.  No matter.  John Sykes completely tears it up on this album.  True story – if you play this album more than twice in a row, your CD player will start to smoke.  Then DC moves on to do Slip of the Tongue with Steve Vai “fulfilling all guitar responsibilities”.  Awesome.  Many, including Adrian Vandenberg, didn’t like Vai’s style for Whitesnake.  Being a Vai fan, I loved it.

8.  Bon Jovi – Their hair was a little more tame, but their hits weren’t, really.  Raise Your Hands is as good a show opener as any I’ve ever heard.  What an ass-kicker.  JBJ and Richie Sambora are an amazing duo.  I remember a bit they did at the MTV music awards, the year George Harrison died.  The show opens to show a small lit platform with JBJ, RS on acoustic guitar, and a string duo.  Everything else is dark.  They do a ridiculously great version of Here Comes the Sun.  As they start the second verse a huge screen comes up in the background, showing lots of pics of George and the Beatles.  It was so perfectly well done.  Unreal.  So yeah, even if the band didn’t exist, the two of them could record acoustic stuff alone and get by.  I saw Bon Jovi a few years ago.  They did Livin’ on a Prayer towards then end of the night.  They did NOT downtune it to make it easier for JBJ to sing.  Impressive.

9.  Motley Crue – Like a marriage of glam and hard rock/heavy metal.  The look says “we’re clearly, undeniably in an 80’s rock band” and the sound said “don’t f*ck with us, because we’ll kick your ass and f*ck your girlfriend”.  Something like Looks That Kill makes you involuntarily show the horns and bang your head, like you have no choice but to rock.  Also, Girls, Girls, Girls is another essential for cover bands to play.  It will bring damn near every female in the place to the dance floor.  This is especially important when the dance floor is directly in front of the band.

10.  Winger – At this point, I’ve run out of gas and am tired of making explanations, so I’ll say simply that if anybody took as much of a beating as these guys did, then they can’t be that bad.  When Stewart wore a Winger shirt, in contract to B&B’s AC/DC and Metallica shirts, you knew they were in for trouble.  It’s like Roxy Blue.  I read a review for their (one) album in a guitar magazine, back in the day.  It eviscerated them and the album.  My first thought?  “That bad, huh?  I’m going to LOVE it!”  I was right.  So yeah, Seventeen is awesome, because it pretty much says what’s going through most guys minds at some given point or another.  Also, Madalaine is an awesome song.

Great list. Been listening to Poison's OUASA alot recently. Not a duff track there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2011, 01:19:45 PM »
1-RIOT
2-Triumph
3 -Thin Lizzy
4- Zebra
5-Scorpions
6-Saxon
7-UFO
8-Twisted Sister
9-Wasp
10-Cinderella

Great list wki!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
Triumph
Dokken
Scorpions
Motley Crue
Ratt
Van Halen
Def Leppard
Aerosmith
Night Ranger
White Snake
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline r0cken

« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2012, 01:12:04 AM »
Hair bands? Sure. Used to listen to them non stop, 10-15 years ago. Still have a soft spot for anything with a double "z" or a double "x" in the band name.  ;D

1. Skid Row - favorite 80s metal band, I was totally obsessed with them back in the day.

2. D-A-D - one of the best bands in the universe, in my humble opinion, albeit lesser known outside of Europe. They are still active to this day and keep releasing great albums every few years.

3. Bon Jovi - they were my gateway into rock music, started listening to them in 1995.

The rest are also favorites of mine, more or less in order of preference:
4. Aerosmith
5. Cinderella
6. Mr. Big
7. Tesla
8. Poison
9. Warrant
10. Tyketto

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2012, 01:59:40 AM »
8. UFO. They had a great deal of 80s work which I like. I've still only really heard their greatest hits stuff but I did like it every much.

UFO were much more prominent in the 70's. Michael Schenker left in the late 70's and they took a nose dive after that. Maybe you're confusing their 70's output with the 80's?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2012, 03:57:12 AM »
8. UFO. They had a great deal of 80s work which I like. I've still only really heard their greatest hits stuff but I did like it every much.

UFO were much more prominent in the 70's. Michael Schenker left in the late 70's and they took a nose dive after that. Maybe you're confusing their 70's output with the 80's?

UFO still made great music in the 80s. Wild Willing & Innocent, Mechanix, Misdemeanor are all excellent. Sure their heyday was the Mad Mickey 70s era, but once he left they still had something to offer.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2017, 09:12:01 AM »
Here is my top 10 in no particular order :

Manowar : well, I absolutely LOVED Manowar back in the day. Cheesy attitude, cheesy looks but Eric Adams! Sang my firts tunes covering Manowar (which I cannot sing anymore).
Dio : RJD was one of my frst contacts with metal! Holy Diver and the Last in Line are, for me, the epitome of metal. Such a good singer back then, even if a little too theatrical at times.
Scorpions : My first concert ever. Releasing Blackout, LaFS, WWL and SA in a row was astounding. And Klaus Meine, guys, Klaus Meine.
Black Sabbath : this will surprise many people here, but I have never listend to BS with DIO, only with Tony Martin. My favorite of that period : Headless Cross.
Iron Maiden : Iron Maiden!
YJ Malmsteen : what a guitarist he was then. And the guy knew what a good singer was!
Dokken : if only for george Lynch!
Europe : good music, catchy melodies, great singing.
Loudness : Akira Takasaki has to be one of the most underrated guitarist I know. But, back then, he was smoking on the guitars. I loved Minoru Niihara as well, although his voice was much of an acquired taste.
TNT : the duet Le Tekkro- Harnell has to be one of the best things to appeare in the 80s. Both were at the top of their game, but I was blown away by Harnell. Such a beast!

B.Lee

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:26:25 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2017, 09:36:37 AM »
Wow.  Major necro-thread-bump.  Nicely done.  Were you THAT bored that you spend hours pouring through the back pages of the forum to find something interesting to read?  :lol

5 1/2 years after the fact, I have to include Maiden in here somewhere.  Yeah, late to the party on them.  I know.  But I am now a fan, and they clearly belong. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
I have no idea how to post in this thread, but our esteemed leader, bosk1, said I "have to" post in it.

Defining what '80's metal' is, is stupid to me, as people would put Queensryche, there, but Queensryche was never "hair metal," which is what I think the point of the thread was supposed to be. I didn't listen to a ton of what I would consider hair metal (Tesla, for example, is not the same as Poison). So this thread is now irritating me, which may have been bosk1's point. In which case, he wins. Again.  :rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »
:lol  Well, it isn't necessarily "hair metal."  Aside from the explanations I already gave, here is a slightly different take on my perspective in starting the thread:  Growing up in the '80s, if one were to go hang out with the "rockers" in middle school and high school, you would see a lot of guys and gals wearing concert shirts from a pretty wide variety of "hard rock" or "metal" groups.  In retrospect, it is easy to sub-categorize them.  But then, people didn't really trip about it.  Yeah, you had the hair metal bands.  But most people who liked them (and not talking about the casual pop fan who only knew the odd "hit" or two from any given rock band) also liked bands like Maiden, Priest, Queensryche, or Rush.  At any given moment, you could walk by the smoking section at my old high school back then and see someone in a Def Leppard shirt talking to someone in a Maiden shirt and someone in a Bon Jovi shirt.  The thrash kids were a bit of a different animal though.  Although they were still part of the "rocker crowd," they were viewed as an extreme subset--at least earlier in the '80s.  Again, in retrospect, it's easy to lump them together or draw the lines differently now looking back.  But I'm sort of interested in looking at it through the lens of how people looked at it back then.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #161 on: January 04, 2017, 10:12:43 AM »
OK, OK. Excluding thrash metal ( :tdwn ) here would be my choices:

Queensryche (after Mindcrime hit) -- the debut of Eyes of a Stranger turned the rolling of eyes to nods of appreciation.
Iron Maiden
Def Leppard
Skid Row
Rush (the geeks)
Judas Priest
Bon Jovi
Tesla
Dokken
Motley Crue

>>>Those were, excluding thrash metal, the bands I heard being talked about and shirts being worn, in the late 1980s.

As for my preference, the main one of this list is obvious, Queensryche. Had been championing them since first hearing them in summer 87 or summer 88 (I forget which). Add to that Fifth Angel. I was also big into Skid Row, Winger, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Cinderella, and a whole host of bands from that time period.

Does this work, bosk1?  :lol :biggrin:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »
:D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »
1. Iron Maiden
2. Van Halen
3. Def Leppard
4. Metallica
5. Motley Crue
6. AC/DC
7. Scorpions
8. Twisted Sister
9. Whitesnake
10. Guns N Roses

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »
Having graduated high school smack dab in the middle (1985), I feel especially empowered to post here, since I remember which bands were scrawled into brown paper book covers in school, and what "bandannas" and t-shirts were worn around with gusto after the shows came to town:

1. Van Halen - Guys, girls, losers, and cool kids could all get behind this band. Something for everyone
2. AC/DC
3. Guns and Roses
4. Ozzy
5. Kiss - For a short period, around Animalize, they were hot, relevant and even a little hip. 
6. Iron Maiden
7. Whitesnake
8. Def Leppard
9. Scorpions
10. Judas Priest

The hair metal guys came later, and were big, but not as big.  Metallica is not even on the radar yet.    Twisted Sister - one of my all time favorites - were a notch below because of the corniness of the two hits and the two videos.   Motley could be on this list, but they weren't huge on the East Coast (where I grew up).  Rush was far bigger than Crue here, but I don't call them metal, so they didn't make the list either (they'd be at 5 or so if I did). 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2017, 11:51:25 AM »
Wow.  Major necro-thread-bump.  Nicely done.  Were you THAT bored that you spend hours pouring through the back pages of the forum to find something interesting to read?  :lol

You know what, Bosky? I was looking for the official Hard Rock / Metal thread but, since I suck at searching things on the forum, I happened to fall on that long-buried thread. And since I had a keyboard and some fingers... :biggrin:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »

Loudness : Akira Takasaki has to be one of the most underrated guitarist I know. But, back then, he was smoking on the guitars. I loved Minoru Niihara as well, although his voice was much of an acquired taste.

I remember seeing Live Loud Alive in the Import Bin and I bought it just for how cool the album looked. Plus the empty stage pic on the back cover is awesome. I was intrigued. I now have it on CD and listen to it regularly to this day. One of the best live albums ever. Unfortunately, nothing else I've heard from them has ever done anything for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »

I remember seeing Live Loud Alive in the Import Bin and I bought it just for how cool the album looked. Plus the empty stage pic on the back cover is awesome. I was intrigued. I now have it on CD and listen to it regularly to this day. One of the best live albums ever. Unfortunately, nothing else I've heard from them has ever done anything for me.

I essentially like 3 albums of theirs : Lightning Strikes, Thunder in the East and Soldier of Fortune, although the last one doesn't have Niihara but Mike Vescera on vox.

B.Lee

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2017, 01:33:26 PM »
I essentially like 3 albums of theirs : Lightning Strikes, Thunder in the East and Soldier of Fortune, although the last one doesn't have Niihara but Mike Vescera on vox.

B.Lee

Ditto  (Soldier Of Fortune got an honourable mention in my DTF Top 50)

Disillusion always seemed to get lots of praise from some well known guitarists .  I have it on vinyl somewhere but I struggled with pretty much everything either side of those 3 albums you mentioned.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2017, 02:06:15 PM »

B.Lee

Ditto  (Soldier Of Fortune got an honourable mention in my DTF Top 50)

Disillusion always seemed to get lots of praise from some well known guitarists .  I have it on vinyl somewhere but I struggled with pretty much everything either side of those 3 albums you mentioned.

I listened to Disillusion once or twice maybe, and I found it unfinished. Good ideas but the best was yet to come. I completely stopped listening to Loudness with On the prowl, which I find absolutely bad.

B.Lee
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:32:54 AM by Bertielee »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »
On The Prowl was mostly covers of their own songs (previously in Japanese) with only 3 new songs , so it was a pretty half baked effort from the get go.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »
Loudness
September 19, 1986
Providence Civic Center
(opening for AC/DC)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2017, 03:37:46 PM »
Talk about an epic thread bump!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »
Talk about an epic thread bump!

I'm pretty proud of that (even if I didn't do it on purpose  ;D).

B.Lee

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2017, 01:44:57 PM »
Loudness
September 19, 1986
Providence Civic Center
(opening for AC/DC)

So, you were there, TAC? How was the band (if you remember, of course)?

B.Lee