Author Topic: DTF's top 10 "'80s metal" bands  (Read 23954 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DTF's top 10 "'80s metal" bands
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2011, 07:35:08 PM »
My memory tells me that Keel were terrible.

I wouldn't say terrible, but I never liked them much.  I keep forgetting which version of those bands had who in them at any given time (Keel, Steeler, Alcatrazz...).  :lol

Does Styx count? What about Bon Jovi?

Yeah, I think they are close enough.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »
I didn't forget about this, I swear I'll contribute soon.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2011, 08:59:59 PM »
Any love for DLR's first 2 albums?  And not the Gigolo crap.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2011, 09:02:23 PM »

I love Eat Em' and Smile.  Skyscraper and A Little Ain't Enough are really good too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2011, 09:12:43 PM »
A Little Ain't Enough was a bit weak for me.  But I love the first two.

I was thinking about this thread while I listened to my I-Pod Working in my buddy's shop and a played a rock but not metal album.  I loved this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTFVMMCwsss

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2011, 10:41:07 PM »
"Just a Gigolo" is great!  Corny, but great.  Hilarious video, too.

And not only is Styx too classic rock and/or not metal or hard rock to fit into this thread, their only contributions in the 80s were the pretty good, but uneven, Paradise Theater and the mostly crappy Kilroy Was Here.  Oof.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2011, 12:27:22 AM »
Speaking of DLR; Yankee Rose and Just Like Paradise are great catchy tunes :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2011, 06:40:29 AM »
Today's 80s offering has been the S/T by Keel from (I think) 1987. Every song a winner and it's probably as close a definition of Hair Metal as it's possible to get.

Good album.  Their previous albums were pretty weak (The Right to Rock only had the title track and a couple of other good songs on it; The Final Frontier was trying too hard to be commercial.  I don't think I ever even heard Lay Down the Law), but the S/T album was a lot better, and more consistant IMO.  Getting rid of Gene Simmons as the producer probably helped, too. 

Larger than Live was pretty decent, too.  It was half new studio tracks and half live songs.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2011, 06:45:27 AM »
My memory tells me that Keel were terrible.

Your memory is correct...Keel was what was left over from Steeler  Imagine taking your only talented musician (Yngwie) and removing him from an already average band..what you have left over is Keel...Jeez the guy himself actually stopped playing heavy metal to become a country singer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vQwdheGiOA    Steeler

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2011, 06:51:14 AM »
He did go back to doing metal but I never liked Keel.  I put them on the level of Jackyl.  I hate them too.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2011, 07:19:29 AM »
He did go back to doing metal but I never liked Keel.  I put them on the level of Jackyl.  I hate them too.

my guess is he only went back to cash $$$ in on all the 80's reunion type shows and tours

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2011, 07:24:06 AM »

my guess is he only went back to cash $$$ in on all the 80's reunion type shows and tours
I just checked their wiki and they had an album in 2010.  And it may be 2110 before I listen to it.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2011, 08:29:41 AM »
I didn't forget about this, I swear I'll contribute soon.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2011, 09:08:28 AM »
I keep coming to the thread thinking I should contribute since I loved the 80's.  However, the more I think about it.  I never really listened to metal in the 80's.  Classic Rock and pop Rock was what mostly what I listened to.  It has only been the last 15 years or so that I started to really like metal.

However, there were a few metal bands that I listened to and I'll try and remember who they were.

Def Leppard
Scorpions
Stryper
Guns & Roses
Skid Row
Whitesnake
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2011, 09:20:23 AM »
I don't see a lot of Dokken in this thread. There needs to be more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2pAjKViITM

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2011, 09:56:21 AM »
Well, okay then.  Mr. Scary - live
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »
Today's 80s offering has been the S/T by Keel from (I think) 1987. Every song a winner and it's probably as close a definition of Hair Metal as it's possible to get.

Good album.  Their previous albums were pretty weak (The Right to Rock only had the title track and a couple of other good songs on it; The Final Frontier was trying too hard to be commercial.  I don't think I ever even heard Lay Down the Law), but the S/T album was a lot better, and more consistant IMO.  Getting rid of Gene Simmons as the producer probably helped, too.  

Larger than Live was pretty decent, too.  It was half new studio tracks and half live songs.

I agree with everything you wrote.

He did go back to doing metal but I never liked Keel.  I put them on the level of Jackyl.  I hate them too.

I just checked their wiki and they had an album in 2010.  And it may be 2110 before I listen to it.

They did indeed bring out and album last year. It was ok, certainly no worse than the comebacks from Mr Big, Scorpions, Whitesnake et al. If you didn't like their earlier stuff you won't like Streets Of Rock N Roll. Marc Ferrari is a good rock guitarist.
But to compare them to Jackyl.. jeez that's some insult. Apart from this of course which is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A52p9jc-gOo&feature=related

Edit whoops, quoted the wrong post. Sorry

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2011, 04:18:11 PM »

Eat 'Em And Smile was great. That tour was awesome. Blew away Van Hagar's 5150!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2011, 06:14:16 PM »
I don't see a lot of Dokken in this thread. There needs to be more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2pAjKViITM

Dokken are one of my favs.  Their first 4 albums are absolutely amazing.  Erase the Slate was a good one which had Reb Beach, and I really enjoyed their latest one too.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2011, 03:17:42 AM »
Loved Eat 'em and Smile and A l'il Aint Enough. Jason Becker was awesome on the latter. Fate is cruel sometimes, but he appears to be on brave man. He always seems positive. I can't imagine where his playing would be now.

Dokken had three great albums (T&N, UL&K, BFTA). Lynch was awesome and I loved his guitar sound.

Today's fantastic 80s album is Poison's Open Up & Say Ahh. Much better than I remembered it to be. I love every song on it. Guitar playing isn't great but the songs are.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2011, 08:13:11 AM »
Marchello
Roxy Blue
Tyketto
Dillinger

A great band from that era that I only think had one album was Tattoo Rodeo.  Good stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2011, 05:57:34 PM »
Tyketto are pretty damn good, Danny Vaughn is a fantastic singer.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »

Agree with this. Their first two were really good. And Forever Young is a "soundtrack to my life" song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2011, 05:24:45 PM »

Agree with this. Their first two were really good. And Forever Young is a "soundtrack to my life" song.
Never got into Tyketto. He was great on Waysted's Save Your Prayers, even though I was pissed that they let Fin go.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2011, 05:29:59 PM »
Waysted are a band I've always wanted to check out.

Danny's project From The Inside is damn good too.  The latest albums Visions is a good slab of classic melodic rock, and has Jimi Bell on guitar!

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2011, 05:51:51 PM »
Ten favorite 80's (hair)/metal bands... wow that's hard to do, I loved so many more than those.

Bon Jovi
Ratt
Poison
Motley Crue
Cinderella
Skid Row (they opened for EVERYONE, and still do)
Whitesnake
Def Leppard
Queensryche
Metallica

I guess that list of ten will have to do.. I can't really order them though aside from saying that Metallica and Queensryche made the biggest lasting impression on me... then again, I still go see most of these guys anytime they tour, so.. yeah. Great stuff!

*Honorable mentions to Dokken and Stryper who I also had in heavy rotation at the time, and Tesla who was another constant show opener back in the day -- gotta love "Signs".

edit -- oh man, Scorpions is another one for sure.
edit 2 -- GnR crept in late in the whole 80s scene, didn't they? If not early 90s? But they came in hard and stayed there. Once I heard "Welcome to the Jungle" on MTV during the world premier, I was hooked.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2011, 06:03:33 PM »
I should've added them to my favorite 80's bands. They really were. I listened to as much Waysted as I did any other band in the mid 80's.

The Good The Bad The Waysted is a TAC Top 25. Had a great lineup for that album (Pete Way, Fin, Paul Chapman & Jerry Shirley).
I think you can get TGTBTW with along 1984's EP Waysted (with Andy Parker on drums) on the same disc. That EP is freaking awesome.

From their first album Vices (1983)
Night Of The Wolf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6jOHazOBDk

From the Waysted EP
Cinderella Boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3-mtQ14xLg

Won't Get Out Alive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJX4v0d1Vs0

From 1985's The Good The Bad The Waysted
Land That's Lost The Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CUDQXw-6dY

Manuel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajnpxBrv_p4&feature=related

Heaven Tonight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkZttZydH2I

From 1986's Save Your Prayers (with Danny Vaughn)
Heroes Die Young
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrs9b5qRwWE

Heaven Tonight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZBysOERN90

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2011, 07:32:25 PM »
Has no one mentioned Twisted Sister, yet?  Stay Hungry and Van Halen's 1984 were pretty much my introduction to the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal world.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2011, 07:47:24 PM »
Stay Hungry is great, as is You Can't Stop Rock n Roll!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2011, 07:56:19 PM »
Has no one mentioned Twisted Sister, yet?  Stay Hungry and Van Halen's 1984 were pretty much my introduction to the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal world.

I played the shit out of Stay Hungry.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2011, 09:21:01 PM »
Steve Vai....he played with David Lee Roth, Alcatraz and Whitesnake all in the 80's I am fairly sure...
Whitesnake
Def Leppard
Van Halen
Poison
Kiss
Metallica
Motley Crue
Skid Row
ACDC
 :smiley:

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2011, 07:26:08 AM »

I played the shit out of Stay Hungry.

I preferred Under the Blade as those were the songs I was most familar with having seen them probably close to 100 times before the album was released. Yes I was a SMF, i followed them religiously around the NY/NJ/LI club circuit for years before they broke through ,  many a weekend I would see them on both a Friday and Saturday night

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2011, 07:33:41 AM »
Stay Hungry was my introduction to TS.  Then I went back into their catalog. 

I know I've posted this band before.  TAC and I talked about them but I loved this one album by Stone Fury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hynC3Fawhwo

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2011, 10:21:37 AM »
My intro to TS was hearing the great Shoot 'Em Down. Under The Blade was produced by Pete Way, speaking of Waysted!

King, I hate to say it because I loved that Stone Fury album back in the day, but it has not aged well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2011, 10:27:46 AM »
I'm getting ready to "rank" the top 10 in the thread in just a bit.  My loose methodology:

For those who followed instructions and posted 10 bands and ranked them, I assigned points based on ranking (10 pts. for the #1 spot, 9 for #2, etc.).  For those who simply listed bands without ranking, they each received 1 point.  If people listed more than 10 bands and did not rank them so that I could not tell which were their top 10, I am not counting any of them.  I am also not counting bands that do not fit the descriptions in the first post.  "Official" top 10 coming in a little while.  If there are any last-minute votes, get them in now (but if you already posted, too late to change now because I've already counted yours).