Author Topic: DTF's top 10 "'80s metal" bands  (Read 24026 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
DTF's top 10 "'80s metal" bands
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »
For the 4-5 people who will actually post in this thread, post your 10 or so favorite hard rock/heavy metal bands from the '80s.  If they actually started earlier (like Scorpions or Y&T, for example), that's fine as long as they were doing their thang in the '80s.  "Hair metal," "glam metal," "hard rock," or whatever is all fine.  I know it's not easy to classify some bands, so I'm not going to have hard and fast rules about who is in or out, but try to keep it limited to bands that fall into those categories, and NOT bands that are more considered "thrash," "death metal," or "punk."  No real reason why, other than I just want to know how people rank these particular types of bands.

Anyhow, here are mine:

1.  Queensryche - Even though I did not really get into them heavily until about 1990, they had some AMAZING '80s output that I discovered later on.
2.  Y&T - Lots of misses, but there are few bands if any in this and related genres who had album runs as strong as Earthshaker -> Black Tiger -> Meanstreak -> In Rock We Trust
3.  Badlands - Only three albums, but they are some of the strongest rock albums out there by anybody, period.
4.  Skid Row - They rank so high based solely on their self-titled and Slave To The Grind.  Two outstanding albums.  Who cares if they dropped off after that?
5.  Tesla - I would consider The Great Radio Controversy to be one of the best hard rock albums ever released.  
6.  Cinderella - The first two albums were amazing, and the ones after still had some good songs.  
7.  Def Leppard - They were really THE band that got me into hard rock in the first place, so I can forgive them for what has happened after Hysteria.
8.  Scorpions - Incredible live band than had a really good mid-'80s run in terms of album releases.
9.  Whitesnake - Even though I have no desire to listen to them anymore, save a couple of select songs, they mark they made on '80s blues-based hardrock is undeniable.  The self-titled album is a classic, and Slide It In and Slip Of The Tongue had some solid tunes as well.
10.  Dokken - Is it fair to leave Blue Murder out of my top-10 when they had perhaps the strongest debut album of any band ever, and have such incredible moments as Still Of The Night live with Sykes on guitar and lead vocals?  Is it fair to exclude House Of Lords, when they had a solid debut, really good follow-up, and some decent later output; Stryper, when they had one of my favorite albums in To Hell With The Devil, as well as lots of other good songs spread out over all their other albums?  Although it's a close call, I can justify giving Dokken the edge based solely on two words:  Mr. Scary.

Aside from the honorable mentions I listed above, I should also mention Van Halen.  The debut album is, of course, a classic, and 5150 is, IMO, one of the best albums of the '80s, hands down.  But their other material was incredibly hit and miss with me, and Eddie has left such a bad taste in recent years that they miss my list.

Okay, so Cozmo and others--GO!

Here is a decent (but incomplete) list of bands for reference for anyone who needs it:  https://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_metal-hair-art.html  Again, don't necessarily feel limited to the bands on that list, but it's a good reference point.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:32:29 PM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF's top 10 "'80s metal" bands
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
I think I could participate with this, but I'm not sure if it's the right thread. Does stuff like Iron Maiden and Savatage count? I don't listen to much hair or glam, but I do those bands I already mentioned plus some stuff that would be considered more doomy and prog metal.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:23:16 AM »
Yeah, I suppose.  I have no problem with Maiden at all.  Savatage is a little out there, but I guess they more or less fit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »
Okay, what I've got is more or less as close as I'm gonna get to the thread topic. I think it leans a bit more to early power then what you were looking for, but oh well. I think it'd be cool to do a *general* series of polls exclusively on traditional metal categories, too, when this is done. (like, limited to heavy, glam, power, prog, thrash and then maybe death, and black etc, none of that djent or -core stuff though).

1. Iron Maiden- the definitive metal band, in my opinion. I recognize now that they were actually latecomers, but few bands have a discography as consistently good as their own. After 30 years of music, Maiden only have one or two truly horrendous records. And their reunion stuff has been just as good as the classics.
2. Rush- feel a bit weird grouping them in here, but since it's OK I will. Rush are one of the most awesome bands ever, for obvious reasons.
3. Queensryche- Some of the most innovative metal albums ever, especially for the time. Their influence on DT speaks for itself.
4. Fates Warning- Arch era only. I much prefer Jon Arch's era to Ray Alder. Both are good, but Arch's has got that distinct 80's metal band sound that I like.
5. Manowar- are FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN. Yes, they're over the top, but who cares really?
6. Savatage- I've heard relatively little of Savatage, but I love all that I have. If I had more of their albums, they might be my favorite.
7. Judas Priest- I feel weird putting them here, because they formed in the 60s, but the 80s was when they were most popular. Halford is outstanding. This is another band I really am kicking myself for not getting more into.
8. UFO. They had a great deal of 80s work which I like. I've still only really heard their greatest hits stuff but I did like it every much.
9. Candlemass- I kicked myself when I finally got around to listening to this "doom" metal. I had no idea what doom actually mean until I heard Epicus Doomicus Metallicus. I'd get more into them, but doom is still something I kind of have to be in the mood for.
10. Dio- Speaks for itself, doesn't it?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:37:37 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:58:47 AM »
Don't really listen to 80's Metal anymore, but Iron Maiden.
They got me interested in metal-music, and they're one of the few 'classic' metal-bands that I care for.
So yeah, Maiden.  :hat

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »
Winger
Whitesnake
Badlands
Extreme
Poison
Damn Yankees
Ozzie Osbourne
Van Halen
Skid Row
Def Leppard

i tried to keep it to the real hair bands...I love QR and Maiden but I really put them in a different genre.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »
Also, anyone with even a passing interest in metal and a tolerance for videogames should play Brutal Legend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxnho1yTjRo

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 12:02:18 PM »
1. Iron Maiden - the best them.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
1. Extreme - I'm reluctant to group them with hair bands, but they were popular during that period. They were/are so much more than metal, but I followed their every move and practically worshiped Nuno, Badger and Greary back in the day.

2. Van Halen - I could listen to Eddie play all day.

3. Winger - incredible musicianship, and they get less cheesy in the 00's. Still cranking out good songs and stellar playing.

4. Iron Maiden - they are gods. End of discussion.

5. Stryper - only because Michael Sweet is a badass lead player and they made me laugh.

6. Motley Crue - but only if you count their greatest hits and the album with Jon Corabi.

7. Ummm...Warrant? But only the two 90's albums "Ultraphobic" and "Belly to Belly." Other than that I absolutely hated them.

8. House of Lords - I really dug Lanny Cordola's playing.

9. Danger Danger - because of Andy Timmons.

10. Lynch Mob - but only the second album.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 12:30:34 PM »
Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Tesla... for 80's metal I guess that would be the big 3 for me. There is a lot from that genre I enjoy but as far as bands go those are the only ones who I can think I really LOVE from that time period.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »
Y&T had two albums named Black Tiger?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »
Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Tesla... for 80's metal I guess that would be the big 3 for me. There is a lot from that genre I enjoy but as far as bands go those are the only ones who I can think I really LOVE from that time period.

Um...Rush?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »
Y&T had two albums named Black Tiger?

Oops.  Typo.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »

Um...Rush?

If Rush were a metal band...

They were a progressive hard rock band, I really don't think they fit with the rest of these bands.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Metallica.  Master of Puppets came out in the mid-80s.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 12:39:45 PM »
Oh yeah, I'll add Metallica to my list.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 12:40:47 PM »
It seems weird to even consider lumping hard rock bands like Rush, VH, etc. in with the typical 80s (hair) metal bands.  While bosk1 left it pretty open-ended as far as what kinds of bands you could mention, it seemed like he was talking about bands like Motley Crue, Ratt, Def Leppard, Guns N' Roses, Stryper, etc.  Ya know, hard rock/metal bands that had that kind of 80s hair metal look AND sound.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 12:48:26 PM »
Nick, your failure at reading comprehension astounds me.

...post your 10 or so favorite hard rock/heavy metal bands from the '80s.  ..."hard rock," or whatever is all fine. ...and NOT bands that are more considered "thrash"

Rush is clearly in.  Metallica is clearly out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 12:50:20 PM »
You included Hard Rock, I saw that, but I don't think Rush's brand of hard rock fits with the rest of the bands on here. I fashion them closer to a band like Styx than I do to Def Leppard.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »
Nick, your failure at reading comprehension astounds me.

...post your 10 or so favorite hard rock/heavy metal bands from the '80s.  ..."hard rock," or whatever is all fine. ...and NOT bands that are more considered "thrash"

Rush is clearly in.  Metallica is clearly out.
But Metallica is heavy metal?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »
I was halfway thru a response when our boss came up and gave the 6 of us the "big brother is watching" talk. So now I am responding via phone. I'll post my picks when I can.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 01:19:33 PM »
:lol  Bummer.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »
1. Rush
2. Iron Maiden
3. Queensryche
4. Ozzy
5. Triumph
6. Motley Crue
7. Judas Priest
8. Triumph
9. VH
10. Dokken

Subject to change.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:14:29 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »
1.  Megadeth
2.  Iron Maiden

I don't listen to any other 80s metal bands

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 01:36:56 PM »
1.  Megadeth
2.  Iron Maiden

I don't listen to any other 80s metal bands
This.

Also, everyone knows Depeche Mode and The Cure were the best bands of the 80s, anyway  :biggrin:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 01:38:41 PM »
I don't think there's any 80s metal bands I listen to. In fact, there aren't many 80s bands I listen to in general.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 01:40:08 PM »
Mercyful Fate / King Diamond
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »
I don't really feel like figuring out a top-10 list right now, but thought I'd throw out some more obscure or odd bands.  A lot of these only really had one good album, so they may not be top 10 material, but I think they're interesting anyway.

Blue Murder - as mentioned by Bosk, they had one of the best debut albums ever.  Their 2nd album did nothing for me, unfortunately.

Shotgun Messiah - 3 albums, the first was generic metal, the 2nd was very good hair metal, their 3rd was awesome industrial metal.

XYZ - had a good first album, produced by Don Dokken.

Rough Cutt - Bluesy with Paul Shortino's raspy vocals.  Loved their debut album.  The follow up was too 80s-polished hair metal

Krokus - My first "favorite" band.  I had to own every album (on cassette, in their orange Arista cassette cases). . .up until Change of Address, which was entirely too commercial and polished.  

Hurricane - Awesome debut EP, lost interest with their first full-length album.

Arcade - Pearcy's band after Ratt, basically sounded like Ratt

White Lion - Mane Attraction was better than their earlier, more popular "hit" albums

Steelhart - awesome vocals

A random list of other bands that dropped off the radar:
Dangerous Toys
D.A.D.
Bulletboys

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 01:43:57 PM »
Van Halen
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Queensryche
Scorpions
Joe Satriani
Anthrax
Megadeth
Black Sabbath
Metallica

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 01:48:39 PM »
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Judas Priest
Kiss
Scorpions
Queensrÿche
Rush
Van Halen
Megadeth
Mötley Crüe
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jsem

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 02:04:37 PM »
Rush
Queensryche
Iron Maiden
Metallica (their 80s albums are better than megadeth's 80s albums, but in total megadeth is better)
Megadeth
Joe Satriani
King Diamond
Fates Warning
Tesla
Mr. Big (kind of on the border to the 90s, but meh.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 03:05:11 PM »
1 Queensryche Early Ryche efforts like 1983's self-titled EP, 1984's the Warning, and 1986's Rage for Order established them as a very unique and talented "thinking-man's metal" band, and were easily far above the quality of most of their contemporaries, but it was 1988's masterpiece, Operation: Mindcrime, that really put Queensryche over their competition.  By far my favorite album of the 80's, and one of my favorite albums of all time, O:M is the album that would not only define QR artistically, but would also catapult the band into the mainstream with the hit single, Eyes of a Stranger.  The follow-up to O:M, 1990's Empire, took the sound of Mindcrime, refined each and every song to be a potential hit, and brought the band to triple-platinum status with the number one hit, Silent Lucidity, with other notable tracks such as Jet City Woman and the title cut also receiving ample attention from the mainstream rock media.  Although the band would ultimately lose their way musically in the late 90's with the departure of guitarist Chris DeGarmo, from 83-93, these guys were kings.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNdOsL4Xe7Q

2 Savatage Another favorite 80's metal band for me, their early stuff from 1983's Sirens up to 1986's Fight for the Rock are all solid 80's metal albums, but it was the last two albums of the decade, 1987's Hall of the Mountain King and 1989's Gutter Ballet that really established them as masters of their craft as they started to incorporate classical and Broadway influences into their music, ultimately culminating with 1991's metal opera opus, Streets.  After that, they continued pushing the boundaries of metal opera with new singer Zack Stevens, and ultimately went on to create the multi-platinum phenomena Trans-Siberian Orchestra, but it is primarily their material from the 80's and early 90's that most people connect with the name Savatage.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OhOm-1m3D8

The rest of this list is in no particular order

Judas Priest
Between classic hard rocking tunes on 1980's British Steel and 1982's Screaming for Vengeance, and the no nonsense metal of 1984's Defenders of the Faith, the metal gods easily earn a spot on this list. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K7CNzFhnCE

Dio
With classic metal anthems such as Rainbow in the Dark and Holy Diver, Ronnie James Dio proved that he was a master of metal without peer, and could easily repeat the success of his earlier stints in Rainbow and Black Sabbath as a solo artist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB5TyfM5O3k&feature=fvst

Scorpions
Rock You Like a Hurricane could very well be the definitive 80's metal anthem, but the band cranked out an endless supply of great tunes; Still Loving You, No One like You, Holiday, the Zoo, Black Out and many, many more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxdmw4tJJ1Y

Warlock / Doro
The Queen of Metal, Doro Pesch combined the basic sounds of Judas Priest and the Scorpions with her own unique songwriting and her distinctive and deceptively powerful voice, giving us four classic albums before going solo in 1988.  More then a decade before bands like Evanescence and Nightwish would make the concept of a female fronted metal band mainstream, this curvy German babe was rocking MTV with the likes of trademark metal anthems such as All We Are.  Hail to the Queen! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmnVNxEmBn4

WASP
Often mislabeled as just another hair band from Cali, madmen Blackie Lawless, Chris Holmes and Co. would push the limits of civilized society with such raunchy numbers as Animal (Fuck Like a Beast).  But under their barbarian exterior was true song writing genius, rendering such catchy and memorable tunes as I Wanna Be Somebody, Hellion, L.O.V.E. Machine, The Last Command, Blind In Texas, The Headless Children and many more, to say nothing of their brilliant concept albums, The Crimson Idol and The Neon God. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjL5aBTmjUE

Skid Row
Essentially a bridge between the more mainstream, melodic hair metal and the more aggressive, underground movement known as thrash metal, New Jersey's bad boys put out two metal masterpieces, 1989's self titled debut, and 1991's Slave to the Grind.  While the band would eventually fall apart in the mid 90's due to insoluble internal differences, they kicked a lot of ass in their day, and thus deserve your respect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJrbHapH5pM&feature=fvst

Iron Maiden
While Black Sabbath may have created metal, and Judas Priest may have defined it, it was Iron Maiden that truly spearheaded the metal movement of the late 70's and rose to superstardom in the 80's and onward with albums like Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, and their seminal concept album, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.  Even a string of mediocre albums and the departure of singer Bruce Dickenson in the 1990's couldn't hold back the band for long, and when they reunited with Bruce and the end of the millennium, they found themselves back in their rightful place as gods among metalheads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAxINE0LUM&feature=fvst

Ozzy Osbourne
As the original singer of Black Sabbath, Ozzy was a key figure in the formation of heavy metal as a genre, but it was his solo career in the 80's that really made him a household name. With such strong albums as Blizzard of Ozz, Bark at the Moon and No More Tears, not even his garish celebrity status with The Osbournes could sully the memory of all the great accomplishments this man made in the genre of metal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7iTiVXNnD8

Of course, there are other bands from the 80's that I consider to be at the level of the ones I listed, such as Fates Warning, Metallica, Megadeth, but bosk asked for bands with that distinctive 80's metal sound, and so that is what I posted.  Also, Alice Cooper could easily qualify for this list, but unlike the bands I listed, Alice is more well known for his 70's material then his 80's, so while Alice albums like Trash would certainly be on par with almost anything I listed here, I ultimately decided to limit myself to bands whom are most well known for their 80's material.

So go ahead, tease up your hair, slap on some makeup, squeeze into some spandex and pay homage to this most metal of decades!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:28:00 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 03:18:05 PM »
Iron Maiden
Even a sting of mediocre album and the departure of singer Bruce Dickenson in the 1990's couldn't hold back the band for long, and when they reunited with Bruce and the end of the millennium, they found themselves back in their rightful place as gods among metalheads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAxINE0LUM&feature=fvst

I hope you aren't implying that the Blaze albums weren't mostly awesome.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 03:27:57 PM »
Iron Maiden
Even a sting of mediocre album and the departure of singer Bruce Dickenson in the 1990's couldn't hold back the band for long, and when they reunited with Bruce and the end of the millennium, they found themselves back in their rightful place as gods among metalheads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAxINE0LUM&feature=fvst

I hope you aren't implying that the Blaze albums weren't mostly awesome.

I was mostly referring to Fear of the Dark and No Prayer for the Dying when I said "string of mediocre albums" (yes, I know they have some classic songs, but they certainly are far from the strongest records in Maiden's catalog).  As for the Blaze era, yes, those albums, especially Virtual XI, are pretty solid and sorely underrated.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 03:36:56 PM »
KISS- abit hit and miss in the 80s but still great
Queensryche- ahh what a band they were.
Y&T
Yngwie
Marillion- love their 80s stuff
Dio
Europe-Prisoners In Paradise is a desert island disc for me.
Priest- their 80s output was excellent
Magnum
Dokken- three great albums and what a guitarist
Ratt- despite one of the worst vocalists around
Rainbow (though it will always be the Dio era for me, the pop-ier output was great).
Vinnie Vincent- what a waste of talent and songwriting skill.
Whitesnake
poison- yes, Poison.
House Of lords- Demon's Down is excellent and their comeback stuff has been qualty. And I'm about the only fan of their "prog" album, The Power and The Myth.
I have probably missed a load of loved bands. Dementia, you see.

This is my era, my musical life basically. I was hugely into the bands that are now called Classic Rock and the guitar shredders. i kept the Shrapnel label going in the 80s. I was into the whole hair metal thing, when I had the hair and before it was ever called hair metal. What an awful term.