Author Topic: Awake = #1 album?  (Read 27201 times)

Offline Bone_Daddy

Re: Awake = #1 album?
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »
Snapple just won this thread.
This thread can be closed.
Not really. It was a well-written post about why he loves the album so much, which is great and all, but that doesn't mean we all have to agree with it. In fact I disagree with a fair bit of it.

This.
Neither of you offered any counter-argument nor did you offer anything worth reading.

Snapple hit the nail on the head. He answered the OP's question with sound information and great points that are hard to refute.

Of course it's subjective to everyone's opinion but again, neither of you offered anything worth reading or discussing with the exception of Ariich's comment that the thread should have been closed after the first reply. How open-minded and encouraging.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »
What on earth are you talking about? ???

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: May 25, 2011, 03:10:11 PM »
Snapple just won this thread.
This thread can be closed.
Not really. It was a well-written post about why he loves the album so much, which is great and all, but that doesn't mean we all have to agree with it. In fact I disagree with a fair bit of it.

This.
Neither of you offered any counter-argument nor did you offer anything worth reading.

Whereas your 'this thread can be closed' comment was brilliant and insightful?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #178 on: May 25, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
Exactly!

I even praised how well-written snapple's post was. I was just pointing out that nothing about it was objective fact, it was just a very eloquent description of why he loves the album so much. There was no "counter-argument" because there is nothing to argue against. He loves the album for a number of reasons, which is terrific! Why would I try and tell him that he's wrong?

My disagreement was about the idea that the thread was over.

I love Awake, it's my 4th favourite DT album. I disagree strongly with snapple's comments about DT's other output, but whatever, if that's how he feels then that's fine.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #179 on: May 25, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »
I'm surprised the "not liking SDOIT that much" comment has gone almost completely unnoticed. However, it could just be well behaved posters staying on topic  :tup.

I know my post count here is few, so I'll let you all in on a little secret. I love Dream Theater's older material for its immaturity. Or maybe they're more immature now (in regards to music). But there is magic in the music from Another Won to A Change of Seasons. After that, with the exception of SFAM and a few songs, it feels like the magic isn't as obvious. There is no doubt these guys pour their hearts into their music. I think their old stuff has more charm to it. To Live Forever has that phrasing that JP sort of pisses on on the one of the commentaries that I totally disagree with (and the wind has blown....me half away across the world). Another Won+WDADU has this feel of teenagers just going all out.

I don't really have time to put this post more delicately, but I'll just say I like the older stuff much better. Seems more "human" if you will  :P

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #180 on: May 25, 2011, 04:01:48 PM »
Ugh this thread should have ended after the first reply. :P
Just saying - it didn't seem to offer anything.

No. It wasn't brilliant and insightful. Just stating that Snapple's reply spoke volumes with regards to Dream Theater's music [Then versus Now]. Subjectively, I stated that the thread can be closed as only to put emphasis that, IMO, it was an "open and shut" case.

It's disheartening that I even have to come back and explain a simple matter of opinion that resonated with Snapple. It seems to me others were actually worried that my opinion would actually direct the moderators to literally close the thread.   :yeahright

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #181 on: May 25, 2011, 04:11:41 PM »
Ugh this thread should have ended after the first reply. :P
Just saying - it didn't seem to offer anything.
Indeed, but the tongue smiley should be a pretty strong indicator that I was joking. :P

No. It wasn't brilliant and insightful. Just stating that Snapple's reply spoke volumes with regards to Dream Theater's music [Then versus Now]. Subjectively, I stated that the thread can be closed as only to put emphasis that, IMO, it was an "open and shut" case.
Indeed, and I was disagreeing that it was, in any way, an open and shut case. That was all, I wasn't making a big deal about it, and I certainly didn't think that you were actually suggesting locking the thread, so don't worry about that. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #182 on: May 25, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »
Exactly!

I even praised how well-written snapple's post was. I was just pointing out that nothing about it was objective fact, it was just a very eloquent description of why he loves the album so much. There was no "counter-argument" because there is nothing to argue against. He loves the album for a number of reasons, which is terrific! Why would I try and tell him that he's wrong?

My disagreement was about the idea that the thread was over.

I love Awake, it's my 4th favourite DT album. I disagree strongly with snapple's comments about DT's other output, but whatever, if that's how he feels then that's fine.

Again, agreed.

It's disheartening that I even have to come back and explain a simple matter of opinion that resonated with Snapple.

No, the problem is that you didn't have to, but you chose to anyway.  There should be nothing to explain.  You are looking for issues where there aren't any.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »
Awake is the best album because it is

Also Kevin Moore

Kevin Moore's conspicuous only by his absence...

Songwritingwise, he essentially just did what he was told. By all reports he'd more or less signed off before they started recording. Space-Dye Vest aside, Moore was almost unquestionably the LVP.

Awake is, at its core, the sum total of three guys writing music.

You shut your mouth about Kevin Moore.
Not saying there's anything wrong with him. Just that Awake's greatness and KevMo's greatness are pretty much independent entities.